Full Version: what do you think of this 914-6? [I bought it!]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
siverson
another... Is this right?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Man is that car looking sweet. I can't wait until we are plating and powder coating parts for my car. Great job!
siverson
Another new item I learned is that the front shock mount plates are not all the same. I ordered a new one that came from Porsche, and it doesn't match the originals - it's a little smaller.

-Steve
siverson
siverson
And yes... I re-plated those shock mounts and then I'm going to cover them up with black -6 goop again. I'm an idiot. smile.gif

-Steve
914Sixer
The smaller mount looks like the one for a early 64-68 911.
siverson
Lots of work on the 914 this weekend, but not a whole lot of progress to show. I got the engine grill, rear lights, bumper, and valence installed, I thought I'd tackle the front turn signals. But, to do that I had to:

- Fix old hacked "repairs" in the original wiring harness

- Clean up old (white) overspray on the wiring harness

- Clean up the grounds.

- Install power antenna (to add to wiring harness).

- Apply heat shrink tubing to all the wiring harness tie downs. Man, I forgot how many of these things there are up there! They are everywhere.

So, about 6 hours later (literally), I had the front turn signals installed and working.

-Steve
siverson
More

siverson
Shiny ground.

Socalandy
looks great!!! the hours add up fast for sure
JmuRiz
Thanks for the ground picture, I think my passenger headlight ground sucks. I have a reference now to make sure it's correct looking/functioning.
siverson
FU stuck torsion bar, and FU rusted on brake lines. A long day with little progress. Argh.

-Steve

siverson
I did drop these off for new tires...

-Steve
KELTY360
drooley.gif
siverson
Shiny (evidently brake covers were cad plated on -6s, and black on -4s).
siverson
And a nice caliper

siverson
I didn't really *need* a new brake reservoir, but the new one look so much nicer...
siverson
Why these were painted silver, I have no idea...

And more white overspray was removed. Sometimes this project feels like it's 90% cleaning, 9% looking for parts/tools, 1% assembly.

siverson
New [to me] 914 trivia:

I'm pretty sure that early 914 headlight bushings are white, and the later ones are black.

I know, fascinating.

-Steve

siverson
This cleaned up really well. I also got rid of a water line stain on the inside by sloshing some diluted bleach around for a couple minutes.

-Steve

Cairo94507
Looking very nice my friend.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(siverson @ Sep 8 2014, 09:58 PM) *

Why these were painted silver, I have no idea...

Probably as a "rebuild"... wink.gif

--DD
siverson
Is this right? I don't think I've had a car with this part before, I don't exactly remember what it looked like when I took it off.

-Steve

siverson

Cairo94507
Yes that is correct. I keeps the engine lid from damaging the rear trunk and vice-versa when they are both opened.
Larmo63
This is a very nice build and, yes, a few of us are jealous, very jealous. You are doing in real life what we dream about doing. What a nice car and a great project.

Bravo!!
siverson
> Yes that is correct. I keeps the engine lid from damaging the rear trunk and vice-versa when they are both opened.

Thanks. The black angle bracket being curved back inwards threw me off a little. I'm not sure why it would do that. Anyways...

-Steve

siverson
cleaned up the headlights.
siverson
latched the hood
Cairo94507
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
siverson
Made some more good progress this weekend. I'm getting closer...

-Steve

siverson

siverson
And yes, those kids bikes next to the 914 make me EXTREMELY nervous. smile.gif

(new house has two separate garages... smile.gif )

-Steve
jeeperjohn56
Looking great Steve can't wait to see it finished, keep the pictures coming. John driving.gif
siverson
I postulate that it takes about 20 times longer to assemble than disassemble. Maybe more.

I only spent about 10 hours taking this car apart for paint, but I've easily spent more than 200 hours putting it back together. I'm almost there now, but even though this is the 4th major 914 assembly I have done, it still surprises my how long this stuff can take.

1 minute to disconnect and remove a front turn signal? Yeah, probably about 20 minutes to put it back together until it's right again.

If you spent 30 minutes taking something apart, it's going to take a full 10 hour day to put it back together.

Or maybe I'm just really slow and meticulous.

Plus - I think "assembling a car" is about 1% actually bolting things together...

9% - where is that part?
50% - cleaning, painting, plating, oiling, prepping
10% - finding nice new hardware for reassembly
10% - where is that tool?
10% - where is that nut I just dropped?
10% - taking it apart again (x2 or x3) because things were assembled in the wrong order
1% - actual final assembly

Anyways... almost there... (meaning probably only a couple hundred hours more smile.gif )
altitude411
Nice work Steve. beerchug.gif It's like eating an elephant. chowtime.gif
veekry9
BTW,a word of caution re: the temporary hood prop.
I once caused great damage to a very expensive car by inadvertently knocking the prop out of place.
When it fell shut,it bent itself by gravity and momentum.
AM DB4,ouch.Had to repair it myself,a week's work.

Immaculate work on the 914.
Hank914
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 8 2014, 07:39 PM) *

I postulate that it takes about 20 times longer to assemble than disassemble. Maybe more.

I only spent about 10 hours taking this car apart for paint, but I've easily spent more than 200 hours putting it back together. I'm almost there now, but even though this is the 4th major 914 assembly I have done, it still surprises my how long this stuff can take.

1 minute to disconnect and remove a front turn signal? Yeah, probably about 20 minutes to put it back together until it's right again.

If you spent 30 minutes taking something apart, it's going to take a full 10 hour day to put it back together.

Or maybe I'm just really slow and meticulous.

Plus - I think "assembling a car" is about 1% actually bolting things together...

9% - where is that part?
50% - cleaning, painting, plating, oiling, prepping
10% - finding nice new hardware for reassembly
10% - where is that tool?
10% - where is that nut I just dropped?
10% - taking it apart again (x2 or x3) because things were assembled in the wrong order
1% - actual final assembly

Anyways... almost there... (meaning probably only a couple hundred hours more smile.gif )

Yes, so very true!

"10% - taking it apart again (x2 or x3) because things were assembled in the wrong order"

For me it is at least 20%!

When replacing the transmission, it took three installs before it finally stayed installed. Once was when a wire got stuck between the tranny and the engine.

That is why this forum (and the Pelican tech notes) is so helpful to us first timers. Gain the wisdom of those who have "been there, done that"!
siverson
still a lot of work to do, but a good milestone...

Cairo94507
The gas burner is the best looking wheel on these cars. I gotta get a set for my car!
sbsix
The combo Irish green with the gas burners is stunning.
siverson
whats the proper "hub cap" for the mahles? also painted?
mepstein
QUOTE(sbsix @ Nov 12 2014, 11:24 AM) *

The combo Irish green with the gas burners is stunning.

agree.gif classic look. Pretty car.
ben*james
I'm so jealous. beautiful. Nice to be able to share the journey on this thread.
Keep up the great work!
siverson
got the wing windows and some trim installed tonight.
914Gelb
Nice six, Ialso own one which is currently under restoration. The engine is read to install. Just to show my air filter housing a added a picture. I think this is the original oneClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
Nice- I do believe that is the original Six air cleaner.
siverson
Yup - that looks like the right air cleaner to me. I bought one like it, but it's super warped and pretty much unusable - like most of the plastic ones.
johnhora
Yes...correct 914-6 air filter housing....has the little rubber inlet holes and clips for the cold start fuel lines....nice looking engine rebuild!
siverson
another evening in the garage. fuel line was pinched so i had to pull the gas tank again. ive owned 914s for 23 years and have always been told to just install long lines to make the tank easier to pull. well that mostly works, but tonight i thought id try something different and use short lines that attach from the bottom like they came from the factory. it was actually really easy to connect
them that way.

anyways, he fired right up after sitting for about 10 months.

http://youtu.be/vcw4GCZAe0s

vroooooom.

still no brakes and no interior, but getting closer...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.