siverson
Thanks.

I suppose my #5 is Ivory. That is a good color. driving.gif

Black is my least favorite, then silver. stirthepot.gif

-Steve
stevegm
What a great looking car. Awesome job on it. I'm jealous. pray.gif
pete000
Paint and the Gas burners look stunning !
Coondog
Beautiful. I know you are proud.... smile.gif
SKL1
Boy that is NICE. GOOD JOB! Love the euro lenses and absent side markers!! And love those wheels on that car!
Puebloswatcop
I thought I recognized some of those pictures as being from my home town...Anyway you did a beautiful job on your 14. Really turned out nice. Great Job. shades.gif
Dion
Steve, great job. Beautiful 6. Happy Motoring!
rgalla9146
Well done !
Beautiful.
Cairo94507
Just a spectacular looking Six. smilie_pokal.gif
sixnotfour
agree.gif
beerchug.gif
turk22
I guess its never gonna see rain... no windshield wipers!

poke.gif
rhodyguy
I would put a driver's side assem and nut in the front trunk with a 13mm wrench. Like a box of chocolates...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 31 2016, 07:49 PM) *

I would put a driver's side assem and nut in the front trunk with a 13mm wrench. Like a box of chocolates...

.....you never know what you get .....
better make that a 14 and don't forget the tiny wave washer.
siverson
Thanks for the compliments.

> I guess its never gonna see rain... no windshield wipers!

Actually that's just one of items still on the todo list. And yes, now the undercarriage is super dirty and I basically feel compelled to tear the car apart again. smile.gif

He actually saw some light rain the other night with the top off - my 7yo daughter loved it.

-Steve
rhodyguy
I stand corrected.
rhodyguy
I think doing the the Siskyous in May with no wipers is a little risky. Positive on that one. The weather can go sideways quickly on the Oregon side.
smg914
QUOTE(siverson @ Sep 9 2014, 01:36 PM) *

Is this right? I don't think I've had a car with this part before, I don't exactly remember what it looked like when I took it off.

-Steve

The torsion bars holding the engine lid up should be black not body color popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
siverson
> The torsion bars holding the engine lid up should be black not body color

Really? Are all 914s that way or just the sixes? I've never really noticed before, but I think my orange car (1974 914-4) has orange bars there too.

You have any photos to share?

But the rear trunk torsion bars are body color, right?

I guess I'll add that to my list of crimes against humanity I've committed. I suppose at some point we are all some future owners DPO. Someone, sometime in the future is going to open that engine lid and start swearing about some hack (me) couldn't take the time to paint the torsion bars the right color. smile.gif

I actually found another one this weekend that I can't believe I've never noticed - this car has a late dash in it! I knew it was replaced in the 80s sometime, and the PO had notched the late dash slightly so the glove box would still open all the way. I've crawled all over this car and interior, and I never really thought to look and just noticed it this weekend.

-Steve
siverson
Weird. Not sure why I never thought of that. They do all appear to be black.

EDIT/UPDATE: this does appear just to be bars for -4 lids.

-Steve
sixnotfour
Sixes were body color....well all of mine are.. not repainted..
picture is rgalla9146
siverson
The battle lines have been drawn!!!

-Steve
siverson
Hmmm... another quick search for just 914-6 engine lids does look they should be body color.

The silver photo is from a nice restored six, the orange one is from an unrestored supposedly never repainted original six.

-Steve
smg914
Very interesting.

Here is a photo scanned from a 1993 European Car magazine of the 5,600 mile willow green 914-6.
Click to view attachment
Racer
IIRC both my '70 1.7 and my Dad's '70 914-6 are body color.
Cairo94507
Both of my 70 Sixes were body color. One SignalOrange and the other Irish Green. My '71, with original paint still in the engine compartment, were body color, albeit chipped up pretty good.
Click to view attachment
sbsix
My '70 six is body color; light ivory.
pete000
I went through some photos of sixes that I looked at purchasing in the past and found most were painted at some time body color during a repaint. Not sure what they were originally.

I did find one that was black, but not sure if they painted them black them selves.

larryM
interesting thread
- lots of nice pictures
- lots of different opinions on originality, etc

obviously the repaint as acquired was crummy at best

some folks want you to keep it absolutely 100 point oem to maximize it at six figures

others want you to ditch the Marelli, etc - which means it is no longer a 100 point oem Parade Concours car

is there anyone here who will really PAY six figures for it when it is finished? ??

?
sixnotfour
Here is 2 1970 4 banger engine lids and guess what the torsion springs are body color also...yes they are both Irish Green...I also measured the diameter of the spring and the -4 painted ones and the -6 painted ones are the same diameter.
I suspect when they changed the rain trey they needed a bit heftier spring..

So the myth of -6 having lighter torsion springs is almost correct , except that all the early 914's have lighter torsion springs...solved beerchug.gifClick to view attachment

AA's willow green 914-6 is a 71 , I have seen another 71 -6 and 2 -4's that have black torsion springs... icon_bump.gif
siverson
I brought the car into European Motorsports a couple weeks ago because I just couldn't get the carbs to work well. It was running "ok", but it seemed like throttle response was really poor, flat spots in the middle, etc. I'm not sure what happened because when the engine was first built (~5k miles ago) it was running really well.

Anyways, after two trips there (argh), two sets of new spark plugs, and increasing the venturis from 27mm to 30mm and jets from 105 to 120, it's a whole new car. Running much better and just rips all the way to 7k. Vrooom.

While it was there they thought both rear wheel bearings were noisy. I didn't really notice anything, but since I had the WCR trip to Oregon coming up, I didn't want to risk it and took it apart.

I'm glad I did, the passenger side was totally shot, so I just decided to replace both. I honestly can't think of any other wear component that I didn't replace during this entire rebuild and have been kicking myself for not replacing these while the car was apart. Good news is everything came apart pretty easily.

-Steve

siverson
One bearing in...

siverson
I know you're "supposed" to press the arm into the bearing (not the bearing into the arm), but I don't have any fancy bearing tools/jigs and could never really get that to work.

With a hacked together wooden control arm support though, the bearing still presses in pretty easily (IMO). Just start it with a rubber mallet, and then make sure you press everything in while the bearing is level (see red level on top).

-Steve

siverson
Smooosh.

siverson
I'm not sure why I'm so anal retentive about restoring and cleaning everything while assembling things, and then proceed to actually drive it. Everything is so much dirtier and just worn looking than it was just 5k miles ago. Oh well - I suppose I can just put on more miles now. driving.gif

-Steve
siverson
Front calipers really take a beating.

-Steve

siverson
And an artsy shot with my super dusty and pissed off orange car wondering why he isn't being worked on. sad.gif Sorry Orange 914...

-Steve
pete000
Love your recessed floor jack !

Spacious garage is to die for as well !

Cairo94507
Love that car! wub.gif Oh, so the orange Six does not feel left out, if I had another Six it would be flared and signal orange like my 1st Six was - color not flares.

I have to meet Steve one of these days because that is the same lift set-up that is going in my garage too. Maybe instead of being a twin I was a triplet and Steve was separated from us????

siverson
CDI box died on the way home from Oregon. sad.gif That was less fun.

When it died, the CDI was still making a whining noise (it's supposed to), but it was a little different and louder. But given I had confirmed everything else seemed fine, I ordered a replacement and it worked. Vrooom.

PartsKlassik puts new electronics in the old box:

https://www.partsklassik.com/p-1508-cdi-box...d-rpm-7100.aspx

-Steve

siverson
And it gave me a chance to clean out the hell hole. A leaf had fell down there!!!

-Steve
rhodyguy
How close to home did you get before the box quit? Sorry about the leaf.
brp986s
Does the new cdi whine? I got a rblt cdi. Works great and all, but dead silent. I want my whine back! hissyfit.gif
siverson
No, new CDI is dead silent. I honestly don't miss the whine.

Here is my favorite photo from the WCR that someone took of me (sorry, I forgot your name!). This is what happens with stock rear springs (100#)!

-Steve
siverson
Zoomed and paint.net oil painting effect...

-Steve
Ferg
Awesome Pic!
6freak
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 10 2016, 10:45 PM) *

No, new CDI is dead silent. I honestly don't miss the whine.

Here is my favorite photo from the WCR that someone took of me (sorry, I forgot your name!). This is what happens with stock rear springs (100#)!

-Steve

that happens with 180lbs springs too biggrin.gif thats a fun picture Todd probably took that I know he snapped a bunch
smile.gif
siverson
Washed green 914 yesterday...

siverson
I thought about fitting some bigger tires... (Rally 914?)
siverson
But then decided against it...

-Steve
Steve
The best of both worlds!! Love your orange car too!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.