Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what do you think of this 914-6? [I bought it!]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
siverson
And some more photos... (before and after)

It's amazing how much faster this stuff happens when I'm not the one doing the work. smile.gif

ben*james
Nice choice to bring back the Irish Green!!! I'm green with envy...smile.gif
Looking good, I'm excited to see this car get the attention it deserves.
siverson
> I think a Porsche engine rebuild is about the same no matter the power.

It actually would have been cheaper for me to rebuild the car as a 2.2 or 2.4 with a little more horsepower, but that would require machining the heads and making it more non-stock.

My thought was it's going to be a slow car compared to my 3.6 no matter how I build this engine, so I'm trying to keep it very near stock, or at least 100% reversible. And so far I'm pretty happy with my choice. The engine sounds awesome - just like an early 911 - imagine that! smile.gif

The engine does have E cams now, because that just seemed like a better choice (S is too peaky). But if someone really cared in the future they could go back to T cams.

And I have decided to paint the whole bottom of the car body color (rather than the gray/white/overspray debate) because I just don't feel like it makes sense to try and copy the factory's imperfections. All body color looks better to me, and probably protects a little better too.

-Steve
siverson
This was his roommate while getting worked on (it's real).

-Steve

rick 918-S
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 9 2013, 01:25 PM) *

> And I have decided to paint the whole bottom of the car body color (rather than the gray/white/overspray debate) because I just don't feel like it makes sense to try and copy the factory's imperfections. All body color looks better to me, and probably protects a little better too.

-Steve

agree.gif
JmuRiz
Very cool updated pictures, the change back to irish green is always nice. Old local 914club member had one and it always looked sharp. Nice garage roomie while the work was being done too!
Cairo94507
I agree with you 100% regarding the underside of the car. I would rather have the bottom painted as nicely as the rest of the body panels. I know that they came less than that from the factory but I want mine completely painted and protected as much as possible.

Gotta love the Irish Green….
FourBlades

Nice work on a great car! beerchug.gif

I think you are making the right choices.

John
wndsnd
Real sweet......

drooley.gif
siverson
I got these photos from the body shop today...

The long repair. Funny how small cracks make for BIG holes...

-Steve

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

siverson
And the battery box area repair.

Anything the experts out there would have done differently? I'm considering having this shop do the exterior as well...

-Steve

This doesn't look so bad...

Click to view attachment

Argh, worse than I thought...

Click to view attachment

Holy crap!!!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Nice! There moving right along! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
JmuRiz
I think it's safe to say they are all rusted out in the battery box area. The more Scotty cleaned in mine, the more he found...and my car is a damn solid car (in 914 terms).
Good work getting it fixed when you see it!
siverson
From May 1977 when he was still Irish Green... But has the 15" Fuchs that it still has today - originally had steelies.

-Steve
trojanhorsepower
Man that looks great! What are you going to tackle next?
sixnotfour
Me and My Six 1979, Irish green all the way beerchug.gif
Ferg
Best Color Ever. aktion035.gif
siverson
> What are you going to tackle next?

The car is running and drivetrain-wise is pretty solid now. The plan is to put a couple hundred miles on it to work out all the kinks, and then take the rest of it apart for a full repaint (leaving the engine in). And that time I'll also refurbish the suspension, brakes, gas tank, new carpet, etc and then have a pretty nice little six!

-Steve

siverson
I haven't seen this before. Maybe it's just early car vs late car, but the thin sound padding on the firewall was sprayed/melted on. On all the later cars I've seen this is just a sheet the peels (usually falls) off.

-Steve

siverson
The wires were embedded in it a bit...

-Steve
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
siverson
Why you should fix a loose rear window... Especially if you live in Portland.

-Steve
siverson
When I started to pull up all the tar. Note there are no "carpet hold downs" on the main floor board. They aren't on either side, but the factory tar is still everywhere.

-Steve
mepstein

confused24.gif

what your showing in the pic should just peel off.
siverson
> what your showing in the pic should just peel off.

I agree, it "should", but something happened to this one. It was glued/melted on to the the firewall, and also onto the backpad. It did come out eventually though.

-Steve
rick 918-S
That's weird about the carpet holders....
sixnotfour
my six has no carpet holders and factory carpet has no holes. 0390
siverson
> my six has no carpet holders and factory carpet has no holes. 0390

Well that's news to me. I'll leave it as-is. smile.gif

-Steve
siverson
While I love Fuchs on 914s, and 15x6s are one of my favorites (great proportions), it's been bugging me that these aren't "correct" for a 914-6. So I've been debating going with 14" Fuchs or something different, but still correct for a 914-6.

These arrived today...

-Steve

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
siverson
That's cosmoline in the first picture, but they cleaned up very nicely.

-Steve
mepstein
I like the look of the gas burners. Mine weighed 10.2 lbs. Nothing wrong with having more than one set of wheels to play with. I believe prices will only increase on all the favorite Porsche wheels so you can't go wrong sitting on a set or 2.
914Sixer
Correct wheels can be a fuzzy area. They can fall into the same area as "stock radio" and antenna. They were not installed at the factory but the dealer installed what the customer wanted. Lots of 911 updates were dealer installed per customer request.
siverson
> Correct wheels can be a fuzzy area.

Sort of, if we start the factory vs dealer debate. But for factory wheels and what appears on a COA, I think it's pretty clear that the only options for 914-6s were:

- steel wheels
- 14" fuchs wheels
- mahle gas burner wheels

Right?

-Steve
toolguy
That is correct. . .only 14" Fuch's
however IIRC factory GT's did come with 15" Fuch's
sixnotfour
My version of the Bible shows em, printed 1/74
sixnotfour
I think wheel choice was a crap shoot, not an option , depended on the rest of the options, dictated by bean counters. Then at the dealer is a whole nother deal..
well documented OG -6
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/25927225
siverson
> My version of the Bible shows em, printed 1/74

Show's what? That photo looks like steelies, 14" Fuchs, and Mahles... ?

-Steve
sixnotfour
- steel wheels
- 14" fuchs wheels
- mahle gas burner wheels

Right?

Porsche printed parts list, yes the mahles are listed for the 914-6, more documentation..
Cairo94507
I think the Gas Burner is one of the best looking wheels on a Six. I badly want a set of for my Six but since I have a matching set of deep sixes I need to wait until my car is actually a car again before I search for Gas Burners….but I fully intend to have a set for it then.
2mAn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2014, 07:35 AM) *

I like the look of the gas burners. Mine weighed 10.2 lbs.

drooley.gif thats super light. Im a big fan of Fuchs, but thats just crazy. What size are the gas burners? also, random question, what do Fuchs weigh?

on topic: The car looks great, I love the simple white, but that Irish Green will look amazing!
siverson
And one last "test ride" before disassembly for paint...

-Steve

ben*james
Way to go!
siverson
White, green, and black (spray paint! argh!!!!), and a little rust...

-Steve

siverson
One spray painted horn, one not. And... are these original? They look different than those on my other cars.

-Steve

siverson
Removed old aftermarket sway bar. Anyone know what brand it is? Quality actually seems pretty decent...

-Steve

siverson
Green, white overspray, and original 914-6 grey struts peeking through...

-Steve
siverson
All four calipers removed and ready to be restored.

-Steve

siverson
Nice... I'm pretty sure these are the original fuel lines. One also didn't have a hose clamp - on the car end of the hose. Is that right? Perhaps the return line didn't require a clamp? That doesn't seem right to me, but it looks like this gas tank had never been removed.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.