Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what do you think of this 914-6? [I bought it!]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Cairo94507
Sounds perfect and looks perfect.
JmuRiz
Great video, I hope to get to that point some day.

Get an LED troublelight for working so close to an open fuel tank, made me nervous.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 13 2014, 03:56 AM) *

whats the proper "hub cap" for the mahles? also painted?

Hi, first let me say. I'm deeply impressed how you manage the restoration of that irishgreen "6" thumb3d.gif

To your question. In the PET (Porsche spare parts catalogue) your MAHLE wheels (Lochscheibenrad, Aluminium Druckguss, lackiert) have the original number 901.361.017.00. The hub cabs ("Radzierdeckel") are mentioned as
901.361.032.00 without any colour code or something like that. So they are in "plastik grey". Porsche mentioned later a "SOW" alternative which means as a "special wish" option there were hub caps available in black with a coloured emblem (Spare parts number: (SOW) 911.038.11)
From my side of view and you could interpret it by the spare parts number beginning with a 911, the coloured version was used by Porsche 911

See here:
IPB Image

I'm not quite sure, but I think it was indeed an official picture by Porsche.

So, use the grey version.

BR smilie_flagge6.gif

Kaeferfreund
Cairo94507
I totally agree that the grey version is the correct way to go.
siverson
great. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know of a source for the grey hubcaps?
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 16 2014, 07:31 PM) *

PORSCHE ? I guess these parts are still available.

Another question from my side. I saw at the second glance that you cleaned the side markers...why? That's a typical nice part of the US-equipment. Isn't it now a problem if you want to participate in a concours?
ben*james
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Nov 16 2014, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 16 2014, 07:31 PM) *

PORSCHE ? I guess these parts are still available.

Another question from my side. I saw at the second glance that you cleaned the side markers...why? That's a typical nice part of the US-equipment. Isn't it now a problem if you want to participate in a concours?

I was thinking the same although I've never been a fan of side warts. It's a beautiful car.
siverson
>> great. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know of a source for the grey hubcaps?

> PORSCHE ? I guess these parts are still available.

Ah, I was looking up the wrong part number. I see now. Yes, readily available:

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...etail&p=432

I doubt that silver matches my wheels exactly though...

> Another question from my side. I saw at the second glance that you cleaned the side markers...why? That's a typical nice part of the US-equipment. Isn't it now a problem if you want to participate in a concours?

I just think those warts are super ugly, and would never have been added to the cars unless the US mandated it.

And I'm not too worried about "concours". My plan for the car is just to make a really nice, original driver. Some parts are probably over restored for just a driver, but it's hard for me not to clean things up as it goes back together. But it's really far from 100% concours correct.

Here is my current list of "what's not correct":

- Mahle wheels. These are correct for a 914-6, but this car came with steel wheels.
- 185 tires (should be 165 with the Mahle wheels).

- Original cylinders bored to 81mm, new 81mm pistons. Not 80mm, but heads did not have to be machined. So in theory, someone could go back to 100% original with new P&Cs if they really cared. 81x66 = 2041 cc, so it's still a "2.0".
- "E" cam (original have "T" cams, but if someone really cared, this could also be reversed 100%.
- Added later Carrera chain tensioners. Not original, but stupid not to add them (IMO).

- Added front sway bar (Tarrett).
- Bilstein shock and struts.
- Porterfield brake pads (not OE).

- Used an aftermarket washer pump, not OE.
- H4 headlights, not sealed beam.
- Not OE seatbelts

- Small triangle headlight plate is plated silver, and should be zinc plated.
- Gas cap is yellow cadmium plated, but should be zinc plated (I think). But it looks better this way IMO. smile.gif
- Gas cap shroud thing is held in with socket cap screws, should be hex screws (it's all I had).
- Momo prototipo steering wheel with adapter.
- Power Hershmann antennea (original was manual).
- Used black undercoating on bottom of car (original was grey).
- Euro front and rear tail lights on a US car.
- Several parts powder coated, but original was paint.
- Several bolts/washers are zinc plated, and should be yellow cadmium (98% are correct).

And I'm probably missing a lot of other things. See anything else? Feel free to tear it apart! smile.gif

On a side, note, I don't think I'll ever try to do a "correct"/"original" restoration again. I just don't enjoy being restricted to find the right bolts/coating/etc. I'd just rather put something in that looks nice and works well and not worry about it. It was more fun to be creative when building my orange 3.6 car.

-Steve
siverson
Off to get an alignment today...

-Steve

Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 17 2014, 07:45 PM) *

Off to get an alignment today...

-Steve

Steve,

if you like you could also use 195 with the 5 1/2 MAHLE wheels. There is given an official approval by Porsche.
Car looks great and I guess that most of the experts do not know all the differences you listed.

Keep on restoring it
bye1.gif

siverson
Still some minor details like windows and an interior, but I did drive it to work today! smile.gif

Vrooom!

siverson
Maltese Falcon
Showroom fresh, excellent work ! pray.gif
Marty
rhodyguy
Very nice. The footage of how the strainer sock should look is informative for those experiencing fuel delivery issues.
Cairo94507
I am so jealous...... happy motoring.
ben*james
What a transformation from when I saw the car last year. Amazing, what a beautiful car you have there!
siverson
i was going to do just the back pad, but thought id try everything.

100 sq ft roll, probably 30%+ wasted.

siverson
matthepcat
I would suggest cutting out in the channels in the floor. This will alow any moisture that collects there to dry out an not be trapped under the sound deadening.
Larmo63
Somehow, I'm now a fan of the Mahle wheels. They look unique and great on your car.

Bravo.
Cairo94507
I have thought about the sound deadening foil-backed material for my Six. I believe I even sent a roll of it with the car when it went to Scotty's. We will be doing this as it keeps vibration and noise down inside and makes the car more comfortable to drive.

To be honest, I can't ever see my car sitting outside in the rain either. I think we would likely do the sound deadening material as siverson has done on his car. I know the school of thought regarding trapped moisture, but my car is not going to be a daily winter driver. How real is the threat of trapped moisture given those parameters?

siverson
> How real is the threat of trapped moisture given those parameters?

I did cut all edges/bends so there are no air pockets.

I think it is much better material than the factory tar, and provided you keep water out, even floors with the factory tar don't look that bad after 40 years.

So, I'm obviously betting it will be ok - only install flat sheets (when in doubt cut it out) and keep the water out of the car.

-Steve
siverson
I got a lot more done on the car this weekend.

- Finished the sound deadening.

- Hacked together 6 black vinyl strips to sit below the carpet.

- Took me three attempts at building a speaker mount to get one that would fit. It's tight in there!

- Cleaned up the brake handle and seat rails.

- Starting installing the carpet.

- Installed the back pad and seats again and took him on a short drive.

-Steve

siverson
Blacked out the shiny stuff.

-Steve
siverson
How it mounts.
popcorn[1].gif
siverson
Vinyl and carpet.

siverson
62S written on the back pad... ?

-Steve

Cairo94507
Terrific. Looks like 625 to my untrained eyes.
Dave_Darling
What's the chassis number again? Might have something to do with that. Might not...

--DD
siverson
#377 (9140430377)

-Steve

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 22 2014, 05:47 PM) *

What's the chassis number again? Might have something to do with that. Might not...

--DD

Gustl
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 22 2014, 10:48 PM) *

Terrific. Looks like 625 to my untrained eyes.

agree.gif
siverson
Now that my front trunk is pretty and super clean, might as well put it to work hauling some flat tires. Doh...

-Steve

siverson
BTW - that is an OEM front trunk seal that replaced the super garbage repro seal. It is MUCH better.

-Steve
siverson
I've put another 1000 miles on him or so now.

After some evening cleanup, I drove the car the first time without the intake airbox and WOW that's really loud. But this isn't my "loud/fast" 914, so I put it back on.

I tried to make a comparison video of no airbox vs with airbox, but it didn't really turn out - you can't tell a difference on the video. But regardless, here is a short video of some 914-6 2.0 sounds:

With airbox:

http://youtu.be/sbuZiksBq0k

It really does sounds about 3x faster than it is! smile.gif

-Steve
porbmw
NICE!

Gorgeous car, looks and sounds perfect!

Will have to go thru your thread and get more inspiration. Hope your little guy loves it.

will have to send you a few PMs once I get back on the reassembly horse

Paul
Chris H.
Yeah great job Steve. The color is so rich. It looks like candy. Well worth the investment. Who painted it again?
oldschool
agree.gif nice sound
pete000
Love that paint !

siverson
Thanks!

> Who painted it again?

Collisions Plus in Escondido, CA. They do mostly new cars & collisions, but also always seem to also have 1-3 vintage cars being worked on. They were recommended to me by European Motorsports (a mechanic in Vista, CA). I'm pretty happy with things and will be bring my orange car in for some work.

Having said that, (a) the rear trunk has some very small pin holes in sections of the paint and isn't as smooth as the other panels and (b) there are some new rock chips in sections that doesn't seem like it should have chipped that easily.

They have been pretty standup guys and are taking the car on Monday to fix a couple of those issues. And to paint the Mahles.

-Steve
racerbvd
QUOTE(siverson @ Dec 13 2014, 06:38 PM) *

i was going to do just the back pad, but thought id try everything.

100 sq ft roll, probably 30%+ wasted.

Yep, did it as well..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Nice Dynamat job. I am planning to have my done the same way- cover all of the cockpit and then I want to do the inside of the doors too.
siverson
I finally got around to replacing the 3.5" ID 100# springs with an adjustable collar with 2.5" ID 100# springs.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I really like how a fairly stock 914 handles, which is why I stuck with the 100# springs. Car has:

- all new suspension rubber bushings/etc (Elephant I think)
- stock front torsion bars
- 100# rear springs
- Bilstein shocks/struts
- 19mm Tarrett front sway bar
- 185/65 P4 tires
- fairly high ride height

And I think it just rips. Comfy (as far as 914s go), corners almost perfectly flat, and the grip can really exceed anything that I probably should be doing on public roads. Or, again, maybe I'm just getting old. smile.gif

When I did this, I also wanted to raise the back a little (3/8" or so) because it looked a little off. New ride height is in photos below.

With these relatively soft/stockish springs, what is surprising is the left rear corner will drop about 1/2" (a lot!) when I sit in the car (6'6" 270 lbs). So it's not exactly corner balanced, but I did set the ride height even on a left/right basis when I had about 270 lbs of big rocks in the drivers seat.

-Steve
siverson

siverson
siverson
rhodyguy
That is my fav color for a 914.
Ferg
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 29 2016, 03:49 PM) *

That is my fav color for a 914.

agree.gif Well done.
siverson
> That is my fav color for a 914.

I like it, but I think it's my 4th favorite 914 color.

1 Signal Orange
2 Olympic Blue (never owned one)
3 Adriatic Blue (never owned one)
4 Irish Green

-Steve
rhodyguy
Most every original Irish green car I've seen has had a crappy color change. Usually some red or white. The wheels and bright work set the IG off.
ben*james
QUOTE(siverson @ Jan 29 2016, 02:51 PM) *

> That is my fav color for a 914.

I like it, but I think it's my 4th favorite 914 color.

1 Signal Orange
2 Olympic Blue (never owned one)
3 Adriatic Blue (never owned one)
4 Irish Green

-Steve

Steve - my favorites:
1) Signal Orange
2) Irish Green

I'm envious of your stable.. drooley.gif

3) Ivory
4) Aftermarket Bright White (so's I don't get in trouble with my ride) lol-2.gif

Great looking cars and what an awesome job you have done to that 6!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.