Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic - OFFICIAL INFO THREAD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 17 2014, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 17 2014, 09:30 AM) *

Shot in the dark....anyone have a good set of taillight lenses they are itching to get rid of at R66? I have Euro's now but I wouldn't mind US if they are clean. How about a Jack post cover? sunglasses.gif

Last nice set I had were Euro's & they are on Pederson's car.

Not after Friday they aren't. happy11.gif

Thanks for checking Jamie.
AZ914
Sadie's at 1pm, check!

Mike: I may have a jack hole cover, if Jamie doesn't.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 17 2014, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 17 2014, 09:30 AM) *

Shot in the dark....anyone have a good set of taillight lenses they are itching to get rid of at R66? I have Euro's now but I wouldn't mind US if they are clean. How about a Jack post cover? sunglasses.gif

I'm sure I have a Jackpost cover no problem. I'll dbl check lenses but I don't think I have a set nice enough to grace your car. Last nice set I had were Euro's & they are on Pederson's car.

What Route are you taking down Mike M? Are you meeting up with Wills in Farmington?

Jamie,

US550 all the way from Durango to Rio Rancho. I have to think Wills would be driving I-17 then I-40 all the way.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 17 2014, 11:19 AM) *

Sadie's at 1pm, check!

Mike: I may have a jack hole cover, if Jamie doesn't.

Don't give Wills the jack hole cover until after Show and Shine judging! biggrin.gif
JRust
Anybody think I will be hitting snow on my route down? Anywhere chains would be required. I can guarantee they are never going on my car. Still some area's require you carry them dry.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 17 2014, 10:21 AM) *

Jamie,

US550 all the way from Durango to Rio Rancho. I have to think Wills would be driving I-17 then I-40 all the way.

I'll go home that way I40/I17. However, on the way there we are leaving Scottsdale via 87 to Payson, then 260 to Pinetop. We'll stay the night there at the cabin, catch dinner with mi padre and then head to ABQ from there on Friday morning.
worn
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 16 2014, 06:58 PM) *

Here is my planned route down from picking up my daughter. If I can get some driving in thursday I will. Trying to leave Oregon wednesday after work. If I am lucky I will get out a little early. If I can get to Boise wednesday night I will. In which case I'll be in great shape thursday to leave early. If so I will be going by Arches for some photo's not he drive down friday. Anybody on my drive down want to caravan?
West Jordan Utah to Route 66

New bilsteins all around, putting in a USB outlet since I am running alone. New cht gauge on the left cylinder bank, and wiring in a windshield washer. Wife bought me snacks and a bottle of whiskey for the drab and cold hotels.

I Leave Tommorow! piratenanner.gif unsure.gif
Kansas 914
So I was printing my hotel confirmation when I saw this - never noticed it before. Thought it was funny.

At least it wasn't "Porch Club"

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 17 2014, 11:35 AM) *

So I was printing my hotel confirmation when I saw this - never noticed it before. Thought it was funny.

Click to view attachment

We've been called worse. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 17 2014, 11:23 AM) *

Wife bought me snacks and a bottle of whiskey for the drab and cold hotels.

I Leave Tommorow! piratenanner.gif unsure.gif

Hah! My wife sends me off with a care package every time as well. beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 17 2014, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 17 2014, 11:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

We've been called worse. biggrin.gif

At least they had 2 syllables in the name!
SLITS
I40 .... I40.... I40 .... yellowsleep[1].gif .... I40 .... I40 ... I40
worn
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 17 2014, 02:21 PM) *

Not for me.
I have to get some southing in first. Well the vdo cht on 3 reads more than 100 degrees higher than the Dakota digital on 2. Could be the position, but so far out of 4 kinds of new vdo products i have purchased of late the only one that seems reliable is the clock. Put it this way. Just as it was in the summer after running an hour or two in 75 degree weather, i am seeing 450 from the vdo. But this time it is about 30 outside, and the oil temp is not even started on the way up, and yes. The cht reads exactly the same. chair.gif
worn
Forgot to add. I now have a button that activates the cutest little Porsche pump to clean the windshield. Was gonna do a big update to intermittent, but have bought the wrong insert for the column switch. Of course with theo top down, i just get wet. piratenanner.gif

Snacks and underwear are packed.
AZ914
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 17 2014, 07:42 PM) *

Forgot to add. I now have a button that activates the cutest little Porsche pump to clean the windshield. Was gonna do a big update to intermittent, but have bought the wrong insert for the column switch. Of course with theo top down, i just get wet. piratenanner.gif

Snacks and underwear are packed.

aktion035.gif Have a great drive Worn! Post some pics on the picture thread during your journey.
AZ914
I'm driving thru Hatch.. anyone want some Hatch chilis?
euro911
The farthest I'm getting to go this week end is up the 395 to Cuddeback Dry Lake dry.gif ... leaving Wednesday morning ... driving.gif the Westy

Click to view attachment

I was headed up to Santa Monica this morning to pick up two new front tires (since the tread was starting to separate). I was driving slowly in the right lane, got about half-way there, when all of the sudden - BOOM blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Had a spare, so ten minutes later, back on the road. Got the new tires, will mount and balance Tuesday night at my auto shop class shades.gif

Click to view attachment

So, while you boys and girls will be burning up the asphalt twisties, I'll be farting around in the local desert sands on this:

Click to view attachment

Hoping to make the Route-66 next year. Have a great time and post lots of pix popcorn[1].gif
MoveQik
Thanks to local member Madswede for helping out with the obligatory parking lot BBQ on Friday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone there. You are on your own for drinks but a $5-$10 donation would be much appreciated for the food. Gourmet burgers and franks will be served! And yes Ell-yut, there will be veggie burgers for you. aaron.gif

For those of you that attended the last Red Rocks Classic...don't expect the feast that the Moorman's offered up and certainly don't expect the venue to be as nice! blink.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 17 2014, 11:30 AM) *

Anybody think I will be hitting snow on my route down? Anywhere chains would be required. I can guarantee they are never going on my car. Still some area's require you carry them dry.gif

From Oregon? I doubt it. I've done several drives in the winter between here (Rio Rancho, NM) and Boise, and I've yet to need chains - then again I've always done it in a 4x4 vehicle of some kind. Besides the potential trouble spots in southern Idaho (Mountain Home, etc) and northern Utah (from Snowville down into Ogden), the mountain pass between Provo (or Spanish Fork, really) and Price might be a troublesome area as well as the area south of Moab around Monticello and over into Cortez, CO. Still, while I've seen some weather in those areas, only in the dead of winter has it been necessary to use 4WD in snow and ice. I doubt it would be sticking this time of year. I don't think any of the areas require snow chains like northern Idaho or Utah or Colorado (they never have any such posted requirements in New Mexico, even when they're needed).

I bet you'll be fine. Safe journey!

EDIT: Just a suggestion on the end of your route - I find the road down from Cortez to Farmington (the old US-666 - I think it's US-491 or some crap now) down through the Navajo Nation is very bumpy, to the extent of rattling your teeth, especially in a 914 - if you want to find out if you've got anything loose, that's your road! I find it much more pleasant driving, weather permitting, to leave Cortez heading east on US-160 through Mancos and into Durango. It is high altitude that way, so weather can be unpredictable, caveat emptor. From Durango, it's south on US-550 all the way into Rio Rancho (through Aztec and Bloomfield of course).
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 18 2014, 07:55 AM) *

EDIT: Just a suggestion on the end of your route - I find the road down from Cortez to Farmington (the old US-666 - I think it's US-491 or some crap now) down through the Navajo Nation is very bumpy, to the extent of rattling your teeth, especially in a 914 - if you want to find out if you've got anything loose, that's your road! I find it much more pleasant driving, weather permitting, to leave Cortez heading east on US-160 through Mancos and into Durango. It is high altitude that way, so weather can be unpredictable, caveat emptor. From Durango, it's south on US-550 all the way into Rio Rancho (through Aztec and Bloomfield of course).

I agree with Jon. US-160 into Durango is smooth and fast (you might be ready for smooth by then) and then US-550 South to the destination. The temperature should be near 60 on Friday so it should be a good drive.
worn
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 18 2014, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 18 2014, 07:55 AM) *

I agree with Jon. US-160 into Durango is smooth and fast (you might be ready for smooth by then) and then US-550 South to the destination. The temperature should be near 60 on Friday so it should be a good drive.

Ok, i just am finishing up packing the car. If any one knows how to post pics from an ipad, please let me know. I am leaving the laptop behind, but bringing a camera and an ipad. Vamanos. I think. driving.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 18 2014, 10:45 AM) *

Ok, i just am finishing up packing the car. If any one knows how to post pics from an ipad, please let me know. I am leaving the laptop behind, but bringing a camera and an ipad. Vamanos. I think. driving.gif

Email them to r66@914world.com and they will be sent to the Live Uploader.

I just sent one but forgot to enter a subject. I think that is where the text gets inserted.

Safe Travels!
JRust
Car started shifting tough last night. Not sure whats going on yet. Dropped it at a shop to take a look for me as I've got a busy day of work. Just tough going into gear. Clutch isn't slipping & still seems to engage fine once in gear. It is just getting into gear is tough. This is a suby transmission too so not your typical 901. Hoping it is something simple. Clutch shouldn't be toast & doesn't feel like it. It doesn't have but 15k for mileage. I know how to drive a stick so it's not like I am burning up the clutch. Hell maybe it's just low on fluid. Although I haven't had any leaks that would explain that. Hopefully it's something simple the shop will find. Going to be a bitch if I need to pull my drivetrain tonight to replace the clutch. Especially since my lift is tied up with a 914 with no suspension at the moment sad.gif
worn
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 18 2014, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 18 2014, 10:45 AM) *

Email them to r66@914world.com and they will be sent to the Live Uploader.

I just sent one but forgot to enter a subject. I think that is where the text gets inserted.

Safe Travels!

Thanks. I made it as far south as Peru. Illinois. Late start, back roads and still just a little worried about the temps. I have the higher quality gauge on #2,, rather than #3 because i have the vdo still under plug 3. Vdo sits at 450 and the dakota digital at about 300. Made double sure it was not centigrade. Air is still just above freezing.

With the new bilsteins it runs like a top but i need to lower the front some. Didnt have time with the dozens of little things before launch. Fixing the door pull on the left and adding trunk lights will have to wait.

Oh yeah - it doesn't always start. I have 3-4 starters at home and this one has a fussy solenoid. Fortunately i decided to throw a hammer in the tool bag this morning. rolleyes.gif
worn
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 18 2014, 08:55 AM) *

Car started shifting tough last night. Not sure whats going on yet. Dropped it at a shop to take a look for me as I've got a busy day of work. Just tough going into gear. Clutch isn't slipping & still seems to engage fine once in gear. It is just getting into gear is tough. This is a suby transmission too so not your typical 901. Hoping it is something simple. Clutch shouldn't be toast & doesn't feel like it. It doesn't have but 15k for mileage. I know how to drive a stick so it's not like I am burning up the clutch. Hell maybe it's just low on fluid. Although I haven't had any leaks that would explain that. Hopefully it's something simple the shop will find. Going to be a bitch if I need to pull my drivetrain tonight to replace the clutch. Especially since my lift is tied up with a 914 with no suspension at the moment sad.gif

You can make it! Could it be moss growing in it. That used to happen when i lived in the pnw. poke.gif I am rooting for some simple problem identified early. cheer.gif
Madswede
Hey worn! If you're coming into town via I-25 heading southbound (I think you'll be coming in that way), it's best to get off at the Bernalillo exit for US-550 and head west through the town of Bernalillo into northern Rio Rancho. From there, turn south onto Hwy 528 (aka Rio Rancho Blvd) which will take you straight to the host hotel, about 10 miles down or so.

If you're taking I-40 into town and then taking I-25 north to get to Rio Rancho, it's best to get off I-25 at Alameda and head west into Rio Rancho. The main road most mapping software will send folks through is Paseo del Norte at I-25, which is under heavy construction and could be in major delay mode. Not recommended. Not for anyone, for that matter, so to all reading this that may be considering using Paseo del Norte, beware.
Elliot Cannon

stay home....stay home....stay home.... yellowsleep[1].gif ....stay home....stay home.... poke.gif
JRust
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 18 2014, 06:58 PM) *

You can make it! Could it be moss growing in it. That used to happen when i lived in the pnw. poke.gif I am rooting for some simple problem identified early. cheer.gif

Yeah it's okay. Nut backed off a bit after I adjust it. Problem went away then came back when the nut backed off. Still isn't perfect but it's fine overall. I'm good to go for the most part. Don't have jack packed yet. I'm tired & going to bed. Hoping to get out of work by noon but I don't think its going to happen. Then I've got to get everything loaded. I don't think I'll be leaving anywhere as early as I'd like tomorrow. Oh well good news is I do get to leave tomorrow biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 18 2014, 09:39 PM) *

stay home....stay home....stay home.... yellowsleep[1].gif ....stay home....stay home.... poke.gif

Excellent idea! Now where is my SAM?
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 18 2014, 08:39 PM) *

Rain and about 40 degrees. I think i am south of the snow.
Madswede
Should be 67F on Friday, a little cooler on Saturday and Sunday. Mild breeze if any, sunny and bright! sunglasses.gif
worn
QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 19 2014, 11:10 AM) *

Should be 67F on Friday, a little cooler on Saturday and Sunday. Mild breeze if any, sunny and bright! sunglasses.gif

Stuck east of stlouis at Walmart. Starter solenoid quit. Dismantling in lot.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 19 2014, 01:40 PM) *

YIKES - good luck.

Do we know anyone in East St. Louis?
Sleepin
We know someone in West Philadelphia.....

IPB Image
Kansas 914

This reminds me that we should have a network of 914World members that have volunteered to be on a rescue list. I know the 356 guys have one. So if someone is broken down and stranded on a cross-country drive there is a published list (or a list the admins keep) of people that can help if needed.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 19 2014, 01:28 PM) *

This reminds me that we should have a network of 914World members that have volunteered to be on a rescue list. I know the 356 guys have one. So if someone is broken down and stranded on a cross-country drive there is a published list (or a list the admins keep) of people that can help if needed.

Greg Robbins used to keep one and distribute it as requested. That was years ago and I can't get a hold of him these days. sad.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 19 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Greg Robbins used to keep one and distribute it as requested. That was years ago and I can't get a hold of him these days. sad.gif

Between a list like that and AAA Platinum (200 mile tow) one could feel better about making a BIG drive.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 19 2014, 11:40 AM) *

Pelican is fedexing a new starter to the nearby hotel where i am holed up in. Have to hike back to the car because i discovered all of my books are still there and i dont watch tv.

The starter solenoid is irreparable without a shop and the new starter arrives sometime tomorrow headbang.gif

So it may be late on thursday i am back on the road. The car was running sweet, but that would be a long way, with festivities beginning friday. I will keep you posted, i have little else to do.
Two newly rebuilt ones at home... chair.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 19 2014, 04:09 PM) *

Pelican is fedexing a new starter to the nearby hotel where i am holed up in. Have to hike back to the car because i discovered all of my books are still there and i dont watch tv.

The starter solenoid is irreparable without a shop and the new starter arrives sometime tomorrow headbang.gif

So it may be late on thursday i am back on the road. The car was running sweet, but that would be a long way, with festivities beginning friday. I will keep you posted, i have little else to do.
Two newly rebuilt ones at home... chair.gif

I don't think I would carry a spare starter either. I do carry a spare throttle and clutch cable put that is about it. I might re-think the starter now...

Good luck - keep us posted!
brant
you could push start?

most of us have driven many miles using "parking on a hill" to help
but it sounds like you need to sit by the mail now
be safe

brant
Madswede
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2014, 04:16 PM) *

you could push start?

Yeah, what Brant said. Even if it is just really, really flat out there, should be able to bribe talk some kids into pushing it for you ...? confused24.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2014, 05:16 PM) *

you could push start?

be safe

brant

Ya, Travis had to push start his at one of the RRC events.
worn
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2014, 02:16 PM) *

you could push start?

be safe

brant

Thanks Brant,
I figured that i had started rolling twice and hitting with a hammer three times and my luck had run out with food, an albeit limited supply of tools, but lots of cheap hoodies and a $49 hotel room. Pushing 60 means i ain't so good at pushing steel around. You have no idea how hard it can be to find a hill sometimes in the midwest. It just isn't a specialite de maison. I appreciate the thoughts. Fedex early, i be back at it. Late, i stay here another night i suppose. Like with everything else the hard decisions come with the in betweens. popcorn[1].gif driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 19 2014, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 19 2014, 02:16 PM) *

you could push start?

be safe

brant

Thanks Brant,
I figured that i had started rolling twice and hitting with a hammer three times and my luck had run out with food, an albeit limited supply of tools, but lots of cheap hoodies and a $49 hotel room. Pushing 60 means i ain't so good at pushing steel around. You have no idea how hard it can be to find a hill sometimes in the midwest. It just isn't a specialite de maison. I appreciate the thoughts. Fedex early, i be back at it. Late, i stay here another night i suppose. Like with everything else the hard decisions come with the in betweens. popcorn[1].gif driving.gif

That's the way road trips go. You have be ready to think on your feet. And when all else fails call AAA, get the car someplace safe and hop on an airplane for home. I've had to do that once. Came back with the trailer.

Another time I had to rent a car, drive home, get the trailer and fetch the car. It happens. Costs a few extra bucks and a couple days extra off work. But it part of the journey.

Safe traveling! aktion035.gif

BTW: I'm out. I'm not going into details here but it is unavoidable this year. sad.gif

brant
Makes sense.

I'm absolutely impressed with your route.
What an adventure.

What tools/parts can I dig up?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 19 2014, 08:44 PM) *

BTW: I'm out. I'm not going into details here but it is unavoidable this year. sad.gif

Rick,

You and Sandy will be missed. Maybe you can make Red Rocks. There is a rumor it will be in Bryce Canyon this year.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 19 2014, 04:21 PM) *

. . . . had to push start his at one of the RRC events.

AZ914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 19 2014, 08:24 PM) *

Welcome to 914 ownership. laugh.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 19 2014, 07:24 PM) *

Great pic for a caption contest. idea.gif "Are we there yet?"
Madswede
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 20 2014, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 19 2014, 07:24 PM) *

Great pic for a caption contest. idea.gif "Are we there yet?"

Or, "I KNEW I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.