Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic - OFFICIAL INFO THREAD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
worn
QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 20 2014, 09:54 AM) *

Or, "I KNEW I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!"

That is what my son said when i told him where i was headed.

I think the part will be here by three. On by 4 pm. Then a thousand miles to go. Sounds like a lot of the action will be over before i could get there.
JRust
Made it to Utah! Waiting for my daughter to get off work. We'll load up & hit the road. We'll make Moab tonight with no problem. May go father but need to figure my route from there. I've got to go back & look at your guys suggestion of heading over to Durrango for better roads
JRust
Is this the route I should take to miss the bumpy part of 491?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/West+Jordan...3!3e0?hl=en
AZ914
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 20 2014, 01:34 PM) *

Yes - or even better just stay on the 160 to Durango, then pick up the 550. That 140 is mediocre if I remember it right from September. The bumpy stuff is on the 491 south of Cortez.
Madswede
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 20 2014, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 20 2014, 01:34 PM) *

Yes - or even better just stay on the 160 to Durango, then pick up the 550. That 140 is mediocre if I remember it right from September. The bumpy stuff is on the 491 south of Cortez.

What Jason said. I would stick to US-491 all the way into Cortez (bypassing Dolores), then US-160 all the way into Durango (through Mancos, passing turn off to go to Farmington on the local routes you have selected). https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moab,+UT/14...5!3e0?hl=en

Jeez that's a huge link. Hope it gets truncated! blink.gif

Anyway, I've not taken those smaller highways through Dolores and from Mancos down into Farmington. They most certainly will be smaller, slower roads, but they may be more fun. Dunno, I haven't driven them to be honest.

PS: Don't take US-550 all the way to I-25 and into Albuquerque unless you're staying in ABQ somewhere! The host hotel is on NM-528 (aka Rio Rancho Blvd) and US-550 takes you right to it. If you cross the Rio Grande river you've past the turn onto NM-528, and you're in Bernalillo heading the wrong direction. And, if you go all the way to I-25 and head south towards ABQ, you're nearly committed to going all the way down into ABQ, which means having to re-cross the river, in traffic, back to Rio Rancho. That little mistake could add an extra hour or more if you're in rush hour traffic!
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 20 2014, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 20 2014, 09:54 AM) *

Or, "I KNEW I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!"

That is what my son said when i told him where i was headed.

I think the part will be here by three. On by 4 pm. Then a thousand miles to go. Sounds like a lot of the action will be over before i could get there.

I am going to post a couple photos, but the story is - I am heading for home. The fed ex promised by 3 pm, so at exactly 3pm the truck arrived. Then I remembered installation is a two person job because the nut and bolt head are in two widely separated places. So tape had to hold the nut in place while I jiggled the bolt into threading. A half hour was all it took to back on the ground. But the battery hardly started the car. I decided to press on, but it died before I could leave the megalomart parking region; the battery was good for maybe six volts.

I bought a new battery and nosed north instead, driving by day. Something is very weird because I can use my fog light and running lights as a voltage regulator. I learned ohms law in grade school, but this isn't adding up in my addled brain.

hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif damn it all! I really wanted to meet you guys and make connections in the world! I was going to introduce you to a twelve year old (scotch). I was going to vainly try to keep up on the roads. So many plans lost, like tears in the rain. wacko.gif

The lesson learned is it just isn't ready cause it still has unaddressed problems as a rolling restoration. The tr6 would have made it because all the bases were covered before I took it out. Not so for this working sports car, or trying to work at any rate. Gotta call the hotel and cancel.
Warren
worn
Sounds like I cancelled an hour too late, they said they might ding my credit card for a late cancellation fee. I waited till I had internet access so I could look it up. Don't have an iPhone.
I am still optimistic and will keep you posted.
Michael RD
Everyone have a wonderful time and be safe! Our state is very close to number one in the nation for drunk drivers per population!

Also ,just fyi, the Vietnam memorial wall will be in Santa Fe this weekend.
( No ,not the real one, the large mobile one.)

HAVE A GREAT TIME !! --- and post many pictures for others that cant attend! cheer.gif
Elliot Cannon
I'm here. Nice trip. Pretty bumpy. Just glad my wife wasn't along. av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
172 knots true airspeed. Not bad for a machine older than my 914.
Elliot Cannon
FYI. The hotel is now a Howard Johnson. And it's on Hwy 528 Pat D'arco Hwy. NOT Rio Rancho Rd. I was a little confused. Yeah I know, "what else is new"? I'm hungry.
worn
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Elliot, you have the picture focused on everything BUT airspeed. Looks like you are at 1500 feet heading east banked a bit left? I see the rate of climb, but i am taking your word for the airspeed. Two engines? Looks like new. Total distance?

My Dad wears the same oxygen job, but he is older than we are. I always wondered how you dealt with the high flying. How do you keep warm though. Dammit, i wanted so much to meet you! hissyfit.gif headbang.gif
JRust
Okay this is the route I am taking now thanks to all the advice.

https://goo.gl/maps/RuPV0

I expect to hit Durango & the 550 about 9:30. Anyone going to be going through about then?

My damn clutch is still screwy. It will work fine in the morning. As I drive through the day it gets progressively worse. Just doesn't want to go into gear. It will grind some too. Yet when it's in gear it does not slip. Engages like it should. I'll adjust it in the morning but this doesn't seem to stick. The linkage is all fine. Shifts perfectly with the motor turned off. So they are adjusted right. IT is my clutch that has me a little stumped. Oh well thats a problem for tomorrow. I've been driving since 4 this morning & I am going to bed
Madswede
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2014, 07:37 PM) *

FYI. The hotel is now a Howard Johnson. And it's on Hwy 528 Pat D'arco Hwy. NOT Rio Rancho Rd. I was a little confused. Yeah I know, "what else is new"? I'm hungry.

Hmph. Guess I'm an old-timer. It's still Rio Rancho Blvd to me. But good point Ellyut, it's labelled as Hwy 528 and/or "Pat D'Arco Hwy" nowadays. You're just down the road from me as I type this! I'll see ya tomorrow sometime. Get some chow and rest, I'm headed that same way myself.
Madswede
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 20 2014, 09:14 PM) *

OK, that looks more like it! But I reemphasize … when you're here, more or less, don't go all the way down and get on I-25 south to ABQ like your map says, unless you want to add some significant time to get back to the host hotel in Rio Rancho.
JRust
QUOTE(Madswede @ Mar 20 2014, 09:23 PM) *

OK, that looks more like it! But I reemphasize … when you're here, more or less, don't go all the way down and get on I-25 south to ABQ like your map says, unless you want to add some significant time to get back to the host hotel in Rio Rancho.

yeah I didn't pout the address of the hotel in. I'm not actually using this map. I'll use the gps on my phone so all will be well. Thanks
bulitt
Nice Selfie! smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image
Kansas 914

I expect to hit Durango & the 550 about 9:30. Anyone going to be going through about then?

My damn clutch is still screwy. It will work fine in the morning. As I drive through the day it gets progressively worse. Just doesn't want to go into gear. It will grind some too. Yet when it's in gear it does not slip. Engages like it should. I'll adjust it in the morning but this doesn't seem to stick. The linkage is all fine. Shifts perfectly with the motor turned off. So they are adjusted right. IT is my clutch that has me a little stumped. Oh well thats a problem for tomorrow. I've been driving since 4 this morning & I am going to bed

Jamie,

We are leaving the house at 8:30 but we drive slow and stop for coffee a few times. That means we will hit 160/550 in Durango at 8:45 so you won't be far behind us. Text me (817-832-4171) if you have a problem and we can turn around. Odds are you will catch us by Bloomfield! smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 21 2014, 06:21 AM) *

Jamie,

We are leaving the house at 8:30 but we drive slow and stop for coffee a few times. That means we will hit 160/550 in Durango at 8:45 so you won't be far behind us. Text me (817-832-4171) if you have a problem and we can turn around. Odds are you will catch us by Bloomfield! smile.gif

Drive safe and fun. I head north amigos. sad.gif You all look swesome.
Madswede
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 21 2014, 08:29 AM) *

Drive safe and fun. I head north amigos. sad.gif You all look swesome.

That's a real bummer, but I guess these adventures are what makes the trips in these cars worth while - kinda like they gotta break down so many times in order for that one single weekend spent driving long distances and eating and drinking copious quantities to feel like a real achievement and justification for owning these things! Did I just say that?? blink.gif I'm reading too much Zen truth books.

Anyway. Sorry you couldn't make it, maybe the next one will getcha.
SLITS
If Elliot is here, I haven't seen him nor any other teeners.

It's Tequila Time!Click to view attachment
MoveQik
Surprise attendees!!! Brant and Slits! beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
Just a note to say thank you to all those involved in putting the event together. It was great fun with a GREAT drive on Saturday!

Where will it be next year? smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 20 2014, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2014, 05:27 PM) *

Elliot, you have the picture focused on everything BUT airspeed. Looks like you are at 1500 feet heading east banked a bit left? I see the rate of climb, but i am taking your word for the airspeed. Two engines? Looks like new. Total distance?

My Dad wears the same oxygen job, but he is older than we are. I always wondered how you dealt with the high flying. How do you keep warm though. Dammit, i wanted so much to meet you! hissyfit.gif headbang.gif

Kind of a bad iPad pic. I was at 11,500ft, the third altitude pointer was hidden. "True" airspeed is not shown on the indicator. It has to be calculated. Total distance Paso Robles to Albuquerque was 699 miles. The airplane is a single engine Beechcraft Bonanza built in 1958 with a few upgrades. I found the heater works great. Same type of heat exchangers as the 914. Sorry you didn't make it. NEXT TIME.
Elliot Cannon
I landed at Paso Robles this afternoon at 3:20. A reeeaallly bumpy ride. It was another great Rt 66. The barbeque (when it finally happened) was great. Much thanks for the veggie burgers. Lots of beer, wine and other stuff was consumed. We had a great run up into the mountains and my rented Hundai performed flawlessly. biggrin.gif At $6 a gallon for avgas, maybe next year I'll drive the car. laugh.gif Mike Wills organizes a great trip every year and this one was as well and he is just soooo cute doncha think? lol-2.gif
euro911
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 19 2014, 07:24 PM) *
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 19 2014, 04:21 PM) *
. . . . had to push start his at one of the RRC events.

Click to view attachment

Uh, isn't it easier to push DOWN hill screwy.gif

poke.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2014, 05:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You're getting pretty creative with that 'Play Dough' stuff in your golden years, Elliot ... laugh.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 23 2014, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 20 2014, 05:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You're getting pretty creative with that 'Play Dough' stuff in your golden years, Elliot ... laugh.gif

"There are some things that a mattress isn't supposed to remember."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACMBhdiWRw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.