Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic - OFFICIAL INFO THREAD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
abnrdo
Not too far for me. I will put it on my calendar. Maybe I can bring the fam. Car wont be ready, but I can try.....

beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
587.6 miles
David_S
299 miles for me if I go straight up to I-40 in Vega. If I meet up with whomever in Amarillo, then add about 30 miles to that. I am really planning on making this, even if I have to hitch a ride with some one coming thru Amarillo !!!!
mgp4591
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 18 2014, 06:07 PM) *

587.6 miles

Thanks for the mileage Eric! My car is no where ready or capable, but I'll be taking the Harley if the weather is good... aktion035.gif
JRust
1377 miles for me from home. Taking a little longer route going home. I'll log about 2900 miles overall if I go through reno going home from Vegas. May go through CA instead which will make it even longer. Still debating my return route. Here is my initial route

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=ml
hcdmueller
I think I will have to make this trip. Not that far for me.
JRust
Less than 60 days piratenanner.gif
2mAn
I have some sort of plan brewing in my head... If I have a teener, I'll be there
Elliot Cannon
Pick a hotel close to an airport. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 22 2014, 04:59 PM) *

Pick a hotel close to an airport. biggrin.gif

I like where this is heading! Will work on it sir!
MoveQik
See the initial post for updates. More to come! biggrin.gif

Now call and reserve your room!

Ell-Yut, it is a 20 minute ride to the airport so come on out!
JRust
Done! Room is booked for friday & saturday night. Not usually much going on sunday right? Once we hit breakfast we pretty much head out
hot_shoe914
1025 miles, sure is a long way. I'd be afraid to drive that far in a teener traveling by myself. I'd have to be screwy.gif to make a drive like that in one of my teeners.
michael7810
Hotel booked, I'll be there Friday. Ron is coming along with his taildragger.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jan 23 2014, 07:50 PM) *

1025 miles, sure is a long way. I'd be afraid to drive that far in a teener traveling by myself. I'd have to be screwy.gif to make a drive like that in one of my teeners.

Donald - we already know you are crazy so that tactic didn't work. (FAIL)

We already know you have driven twice that far by yourself in a 914 before. (FAIL)

We also know you live in Memphis which is on I-40 and Albuquerque is on I-40 so there are not even any turns for you - just head West. (FAIL)

You also know that if you come Mary will make her special dessert for you and I will have a bottle of your favorite Scotch...

Do it!
Kansas 914
Room is booked!

By the way I have a spare 914 if someone wants to fly into Durango and drive it down (some assembly required so you might want to add an extra day....). smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Madswede
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 23 2014, 02:05 PM) *

Ell-Yut, it is a 20 minute ride to the airport so come on out!

blink.gif If you mean the Double Eagle II airport, maybe. ABQ is more like twice that. But it's all good, someone will get ya Ellyut!
Madswede
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 17 2014, 10:22 PM) *

No, it ran through ABQ (Central Ave. is old Rt. 66), although for some reason there are some historic rt. 66 signs near Santa Fe too... Is a cruise up through the Jemez on the Docket? I know the owners of a Music camp in Jemez that might let us rent out the camp (individual cabins, etc. if that would be of interest).

Rt66 in New Mexico changed at least once (I think twice) over the years, so it's a matter of when you're talking - the very old, original route used to swing down to Los Lunas about 20 miles south of Albuquerque, then back up through the ABQ, up to Santa Fe, and finally over towards Arizona. Hey, it's called the Land of Entrapment for a reason!

I am advocating a Jemez run (actually up to the Valles Caldera for pics). Even if it isn't part of the group plan, one could always do it anyway. It's a great twisty, scenic drive (once you get past the Jemez Pueblo) and can even be made into a loop to go through Los Alamos and into Santa Fe to return to Rio Rancho/ABQ via I-25, though that would take up most of a day if one wants to stop in either place.

Personally, I might not have a car to drive during the event, but I could be a front-seat driver/guide/annoyance! happy11.gif
euro911
Why don't you just buy das fliegende auto?

Click to view attachment

There's a used one from an old Bond movie on Craigslist laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
d914
I might sign up, now in OKC, but of course my car is still in pieces.. Suby turbo weapon of choice right now!!!

Hey can I get included in the pics?? Last region excluded because I showed up in an old vette!! I was the camera car!! smile.gif
JRust
QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 24 2014, 02:27 PM) *

I might sign up, now in OKC, but of course my car is still in pieces.. Suby turbo weapon of choice right now!!!

Hey can I get included in the pics?? Last region excluded because I showed up in an old vette!! I was the camera car!! smile.gif

We don't exclude anybody. Although we might park your Narp at the end of the row. Which may or may not accidentally get missed in some pictures evilgrin.gif
hot_shoe914
You also know that if you come Mary will make her special dessert for you and I will have a bottle of your favorite Scotch...

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
abnrdo
Well, the three days I do work that week are....you guessed it... I will see how things progress, as I may be off that week but will not know until March!

headbang.gif
MoveQik
Saturday drive and dinner details added to the first post. Check it out. Also, let me know if you plan on attending so we can start to get head counts for lunch and dinner. Thanks!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 29 2014, 02:50 PM) *

Saturday drive and dinner details added to the first post. Check it out. Also, let me know if you plan on attending so we can start to get head counts for lunch and dinner. Thanks!

Hi Michael,

Count on two from Durango (Mike & Mary Moorman). I am still working to get a few more from here to make the trip....
JStroud
I won't be making it, driving or flying... sad.gif

The wife is flying to Michigan to deliver a puppy and visit relatives that weekend.
Someone has to stay home and take care of the zoo. shades.gif

Maybe next year,
Jeff
rick 918-S
Sandy and I are thinking about driving down if we can shovel her car out the snow... dry.gif So, We are still on the fence.

Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(JStroud @ Jan 29 2014, 06:40 PM) *
I won't be making it, driving or flying... sad.gif

The wife is flying to Michigan to deliver a puppy and visit relatives that weekend.
Someone has to stay home and take care of the zoo. shades.gif

Maybe next year,
Jeff
Congrats, Jeff ... I didn't know you two we're expecting laugh.gif

poke.gif
JRust
I'll have my daughter Kiana with me. So I am a +1 .
MoveQik
icon_bump.gif beerchug.gif
JRust
Only 6 weeks to go chowtime.gif
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 29 2014, 07:33 PM) *

Sandy and I are thinking about driving down if we can shovel her car out the snow... dry.gif So, We are still on the fence.

I have a snow blower on its last legs if that will help.

I am on the fence because I built the engine and tranny last year and wonder if the car will make 3,000 miles. And also something else could fail I suppose. Can I use the summer tires, or is it going to be up into the frozen passes?

But, tell me it won't be snowing down south and I could be persuaded.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 4 2014, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 29 2014, 07:33 PM) *

I have a snow blower on its last legs if that will help.

I am on the fence because I built the engine and tranny last year and wonder if the car will make 3,000 miles. And also something else could fail I suppose. Can I use the summer tires, or is it going to be up into the frozen passes?

laugh.gif Ya.. no. It's a frozen bank now. I will have to chop it with a shovel. dry.gif

Car trouble is all part of road trips. I've had my share. Just roll with it.

I'm on the fence but leaning now. unsure.gif
MoveQik
Only 10 rooms booked so far? C'mon folks! We should have all of Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Kansas and parts of California. driving.gif driving-girl.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 4 2014, 01:38 PM) *

Only 10 rooms booked so far? C'mon folks! We should have all of Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Kansas and parts of California. driving.gif driving-girl.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif

Yeah get of your arse's people! We need teeners WTF.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 4 2014, 11:46 AM) *

It won't be snowing down here in late March. Unless it snows, of course. rolleyes.gif The drive is planned for a trip into the local mountains, but I doubt we'll do that if there's a chance of snow. It's hard to predict in the high desert, but it's very rare we have snow (or anything like it) at that time of year. Some of the other mountain passes I can't say. confused24.gif
MoveQik
icon_bump.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif
JRust
What time is our dinner saturday? I may bail after dinner & drive at least part way to flagstaff. Planning to hit the grand canyon Sunday. Then head up to Vegas from there & take Kiana to a show sunday night. So a little headstart on that drive wouldn't hurt.
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 11 2014, 01:48 PM) *

What time is our dinner saturday? I may bail after dinner & drive at least part way to flagstaff. Planning to hit the grand canyon Sunday. Then head up to Vegas from there & take Kiana to a show sunday night. So a little headstart on that drive wouldn't hurt.

The time isn't nailed down yet but I would guess around 7:00. chowtime.gif beer3.gif
MoveQik
ALL!! I talked to the owner of the local race track and he said we could have 2-3 hours of track time if we can round up 10 or so cars. The cost would be $50 per car. Yeah, you read that right...$50. beerchug.gif The only catch is that we would have to do it Friday from noon-3 as he has races after that and then on Saturday.

The Track

I can be there no sweat and it would be a blast! Is there enough interest? If so, I will reserve the slot. Please post here if you are interested and can make it Friday!
michael7810
I'm interested if I can get there early enough. A definite maybe. I'm in process of installing new shocks, springs, bushings, and front sway bar. It will be a good opportunity to test out the new hardware.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 4 2014, 01:38 PM) *

Booked a room today. biggrin.gif
JRust
I'd love too get out on the track! Might be a little tough to make it but I'd work it out driving.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 12 2014, 02:36 PM) *

ALL!! I talked to the owner of the local race track and he said we could have 2-3 hours of track time if we can round up 10 or so cars. The cost would be $50 per car. Yeah, you read that right...$50. beerchug.gif The only catch is that we would have to do it Friday from noon-3 as he has races after that and then on Saturday.

The Track

I can be there no sweat and it would be a blast! Is there enough interest? If so, I will reserve the slot. Please post here if you are interested and can make it Friday!

If it happens, I will be there. driving.gif
(now I have to figure out how to get out of work)
MoveQik
icon_bump.gif driving.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif
JRust
How is our track time looking Mike? We have 10 people yet?
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 19 2014, 10:14 AM) *

Track time is still ours if we can get the cars. So far, we have three. I am surprised at the lack of interest in getting on a track?? confused24.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 19 2014, 10:45 AM) *

Track time is still ours if we can get the cars. So far, we have three. I am surprised at the lack of interest in getting on a track?? confused24.gif

I would be happy to drive your car on the track. 'Course I'm an excellent driver. biggrin.gif wacko.gif
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 19 2014, 10:45 AM) *

Well damn. If it doesn't work oh well. Be a little tough for me to get there that early anyway. I will though if it works out piratenanner.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Feb 19 2014, 11:45 AM) *

It's actually a decent track, if a bit bumpy. Not terribly long or complicated, but entertaining with its symmetrical pattern. Start/Finish line is on the longest straight, probably a 1/2 mile, into a decreasing radius left, through a shift-while-you-steer mini-S challenge, then a hard right, another S, a tight increasing radius left onto the back straight, and then all of the above in reverse that is the symmetrical "other half" of the track. That's my memory of it anyway, but it's been a while, and I've only watched, never driven it. EDIT: I know I'm missing some curves in there. Never mind, it's fun.

As for me, I don't think my car will be driving at that time, and I have next to zero $ to get it tuned and set up (not as in racing set up, but it does need to have equal camber instead of where it is right now). I might not have the time either - things are very much in flux. But I don't need to be there, YOU guys do! It's a pretty fun course, from what I've been told, worth checking out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.