Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mark's ADHD/ADD/DWD 3.0 /6 conversion thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
MrHyde
Lookin good Mark... We're going to have to get a Orange 914 Ontario meet going this spring/summer... :-)
Mark Henry
Trying to get my ass back in gear and get this done for June. Want to spend at least a couple hours per day on it or the next 6 weeks, If I can it's a doable goal.

The bracket I made to mount the MSD in the stock location.
Mark Henry
My starter, Ford solenoid and backup light switch wiring.
Mark Henry
My trans mount cable/carb linkage, bit of overkill but it works good.
Mark Henry
Cleaned up my wiring a bit and put a sheath on the quick connect/relay board delete I had already made.
Mark Henry
Just have to figure out the other side for regulator, battery and the MSD hook-up. I don't want to cut the MSD wires so I'll loop them and tuck them away hidden behind the battery.
6freak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 1 2017, 09:25 PM) *

My trans mount cable/carb linkage, bit of overkill but it works good.

put the PMO fuel rails on there and loose 4 possible leaks...good luck looks great
smile.gif
raynekat
Mark, where did you get the sheath for the harness? Everything is looking great on your build.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 1 2017, 09:38 PM) *

Cleaned up my wiring a bit and put a sheath on the quick connect/relay board delete I had already made.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 2 2017, 08:41 PM) *

Mark, where did you get the sheath for the harness? Everything is looking great on your build.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 1 2017, 09:38 PM) *

The stuff I used is just the cheap generic Expandable Braided Sleeve, the rest of my harness done in heat shrink tubing and factory hard tube. I got it from Princess Auto, the Canadian version of Harbor Freight.

I found this place in the states that sells some real cool stuff.

http://www.electriduct.com/Braided-Sleevin...BraidedSleeving
wndsnd
Making good progress Mark. Looks great.

John
Mark Henry
Reason for not being around here much is I'm making a push to get my conversion done and on the road. So you could say I'm around in 914 spirit. biggrin.gif

I found a great big hole in my firewall. huh.gif smile.gif
Mark Henry
I know many don't like the stock firewall pad, heavy known to trap water, but there's zero rust behind mine, that just glue.
Mostly using it because I'm starting to get sensitive to the loud and a weber /6 is going to need all the help it can get in the noise deadening dept.

Mark Henry
I made a mount for my MSD out of an old butchered 914/6 repro CDI mount. It's almost out of sight and it needs no extension for the trigger connection.
Mark Henry
bit of paint magic...
Mark Henry
Ugly struts sad.gif
Mark Henry
pretty parts wub.gif
Mark Henry
beer.gif

911 T struts and hubs, Alfa Brembo calipers, new rotors and bearings, tie rod kit, new ball joints, Bilstien strut inserts I had.
Mark Henry
914 V-calipers on the rear.
Mark Henry
dead tired..... yellowsleep[1].gif
Krieger
That's a big ass hole! biggrin.gif

Looking good! You will need to drive it one time without the cover on there. It sounds amazing.
porschetub
Wow that's not an opening ,its room for other stuff lol-2.gif lol-2.gif ,never seen one that big.
MSD not sure was going there but researched and found a reasonable high failure rate,moved to ebay and found lots of units for sale requiring a rebuild ....not sure really reckon they are stromberg.gif .
Good luck on the build nice to see you are moving on, beer.gif .
wobbletop
Mark, the only pill I found laying around for the MSD was 7000 rpm.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Jun 8 2017, 10:04 AM) *

Mark, the only pill I found laying around for the MSD was 7000 rpm.

Hi Walter I'll take it! biggrin.gif

My engine to be safe I'll run about a 6800 red line, but it's fully balanced, ARP rod bolts, heavier eibach sport valve springs, etc., so on paper I should have a 72-7300 rpm red line.
The 7K pill should work fine for me.

I almost never hit the rev limiter anyways, as they are actually hard on the engine due to loading/unloading forces...it's one of those lesser of two evils type of deals.

I'll PM you.

beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Finished hole.
Well almost... I notice I still have to glue the bottom little strip in. smile.gif

Mark Henry
Tried my first aluminum TIG welding project it a breather/puke can.

What can I say, likely not even close to Ben's standards, Welding Al is not as easy as it looks, but after watching a bunch of YT vids I was able to get some semi-decent welds. A lot of technique, like driving a car the has two clutches, two sticks and you have to adjust the timing manually all at the same time.
Likely didn't help that I was using some very old left outside Al sheet I found.

That said I think it's passable. I made the can so it clears the lid springs and the lid release tube. It's fully baffled and has a sump that holds over a quart of scummy oil. the finished install will have a petcock valve and a tube running down so I can drain it right into my oil pan. bottom has a hole cut to 1/8" NPT.

Wonder if anyone would be interested in this as a product idea.gif
I do have all the patterns and bending forms.
Mark Henry
The puke was practice for the number one thing holding up my project...the 914-6 cooler.
Mark Henry
Likely the last time I see my engine this clean. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Why I made such a big hole.
As an experiment I left off my front tin to see if it can be R&R in car, yes it can but the screws are a real PITA to put in.
The upside is I can easily do the timing, R&R the fan/alt and even the front chain covers in car. thumb3d.gif
Mark Henry
In she goes piratenanner.gif

Mark Henry
I made up these puppies to attach my heat hoses. No heat for now so Ill just cap the bottoms off, but if I add heater boxes I'm ready to go.
BTW except for my front shroud tin I made the surround tin.
mb911
Looks good..

Re aluminum difficulties magnesium is about 5 times as difficult becuase it is so dirty.. Used aluminum is also not easy.. Make sure it is clean and it will aid in quality.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 15 2017, 04:03 PM) *

Looks good..

Re aluminum difficulties magnesium is about 5 times as difficult becuase it is so dirty.. Used aluminum is also not easy.. Make sure it is clean and it will aid in quality.

Yes, I'm learning some materials the results are interesting. I'm self taught with youtube, the biggest thing I learned so far is if you contaminate your electrode just stop, snap off the fouled bit and regrind. 2nd is slow down and let the cleaning action work before going for a puddle.
Still working on feeding the rod through welding gloves. unsure.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 15 2017, 12:24 PM) *

Looks good..

Yes, I'm learning some materials the results are interesting. I'm self taught with youtube, the biggest thing I learned so far is if you contaminate your electrode just stop, snap off the fouled bit and regrind. 2nd is slow down and let the cleaning action work before going for a puddle.

Most of us that specialize in aluminum and non ferrous don't use filler feed glove.. I do for stainless as its a much slower process feed wise as the welds are much smaller.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 15 2017, 04:41 PM) *

Looks good..

Most of us that specialize in aluminum and non ferrous don't use filler feed glove.. I do for stainless as its a much slower process feed wise as the welds are much smaller.

I see a lot of guys don't wear a glove for the filler hand, part of that makes sense on light AL as it doesn't run wide open. But I still don't like all the UV rays, so I think I'll try a light weight glove and maybe cut a couple fingers out.

I'll have to remember not to pick up a hot piece with my filler hand...but I imaging the learning curve is PDQ on that.
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 16 2017, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 15 2017, 04:41 PM) *

Looks good..

I see a lot of guys don't wear a glove for the filler hand, part of that makes sense on light AL as it doesn't run wide open. But I still don't like all the UV rays, so I think I'll try a light weight glove and maybe cut a couple fingers out.

I'll have to remember not to pick up a hot piece with my filler hand...but I imaging the learning curve is PDQ on that.

The best is when you have a student bring you a weld that was just welded on and lets you pick it up with bare hands.. Ouch..

Also look at buying a Tig finger they work nicely ..
Mark Henry
Making some major progress. cheer.gif

I have the weekend to try and get poop done, then I have to work on other peeps stuff to pay the bills.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 16 2017, 02:09 PM) *

Making some major progress. cheer.gif

I have the weekend to try and get poop done, then I have to work on other peeps stuff to pay the bills.

Sweet "S" curve conduit to take up the slack in the clutch & speedo cables & keep them away from the header....I like it. Give us a close-up of the handiwork there....
wndsnd
Yes, looking good Mark.

beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CaU9UQmFfk
gereed75
Yea daddy!! Very nice!! Cool huh??
JmuRiz
Good stuff...makes you want to make a lexan 'firewall' to look at the glorious engine and distributor all the time.
Krieger
piratenanner.gif Sounds awesome! Good job Mark! I was hoping to hear /watch it while you drive, but oh well your hands were full. Thanks for a little morning motivation. I'm going to pick up my six from Chris's house today!
76-914
Nothing like the sound of the P-6. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
Mark-

Great success, sounds terrific.
I admire your mechanical skills and patience. pray.gif

We want a test drive video driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Oscar

Justinp71

Looks and sounds great!
Mark Henry
I try to remember to take a vid driving, actually I did take some driving footage, but I guess my old cheap camera and small SD card only has a minute of storage.
Mark Henry
Well it looks like I'm going deeper into the rabbit hole...I just acquired a fuel injection system.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Montreal914
popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
SDS EM5-6F ECU
programmer
mixture knob
2 bar map sensor (will need a one bar MAP for my NA engine)
57 cc Siemens injectors/harness
crank pulley set up for signal, (IIRC it's a GoingSuperFast pulley).
hall sensor
12 custom length Beru wires
distributor block off plug
IAV (not sure if this is for fast idle or AC)
wire harness c/w relays (fuel pump, plus two more programmable relays)
1 wire temp sensor
intake air temp sensor
coil packs (X2 for twin plug)
installation/tuning manual

But what I do need is a intake, so it either ITB's, a 3.2 plenum or something custom made.
I'm likely going to do a plenum system, so I don't have to run in AlphaN. Plus I'm getting old, looking to quiet down the intake a little.
Shivers
With all the skills I've seen displayed, I'm surprised you haven't made your own ITB's. Some stellar work dude.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.