Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 Porsche 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
nigolusa
Trying to help a single mother who is being badly ripped off by "Strictly German" in Pasadena CA. They have had her car for over 6 months and nothing has been done. Her budget was $800 when she brought the car in.

What makes this a horrific story is that she is a single mother with three sons. First son suffers from severe Hemophilia A with spontaneous bleeding and is legally blind. Second son suffers from epilepsy with nocturnal seizures. Third son is ok. This car was their only mode of transportation and would have been used for groceries, etc.. They do not have a car and must take buses and walk.

She is a brilliant sculptor and is barely making ends meet. The only wish she has is to have her 1975 Porsche 914 repaired and running.

Her story is truly compelling, and deserves to be made into a film. I can't tell you how many times her Hemophiliac son has cheated death. Just incredible story.

Her name is Jessica and her sons are Leonardo, Brian and Vance. They live in Arcadia, CA.

If there is anybody in the 914 community that can help or offer some sort of lead to fix Jessica's car, please contact me.

My name is Nick and I can be reached via email at: nigolusa@icloud.com, or my cell number (626) 979-4230.

I am a family friend and have sacrificed so much for them. The 914 is a dream I cannot fulfill since I am unemployed.

Thanks all for your help and resources.
timothy_nd28
Do you have any info on the car of what it's doing or not doing? I would love to help, and I'm sure others on this board as well. If this is low budget and you wouldn't mind getting your hands dirty, we can most likely walk you through most repairs.
funk
I have a friend who I think still lives in Mendocino.He is an old VW fan from way back.I know he can do about anything on air cooled motors.I don't think he has his own shop but probably access to one by now. He may be in the book his name is Jeremy Stevers.If you are really hard up you can probably find an Erin Stevers his sister or most any stevers in the area. Last I knew he lived in the ten mile area on the lost coast!! I hope you can find him. he is A kind friend!! Probably tuner right up for a solid?just tell him you heard about him from jo funk in Sandpoint Idaho!!Peace!!
Dave_Darling
Heh--Mendocino is a loooong way away from Pasadena. Something like 8 hours' drive, or more.

Any idea what needs to be done to the car?

--DD
76-914
That's scary! Will they release it w/o a shit storm? Most newbies are diagnosing their own cars within 6 month's. Very surprising that a "real mechanic" would struggle. If it's not a "hard part" or internal to engine we can have her going in a jiffy. What was the original problem? Stock? Year? Engine size?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2015, 05:06 PM) *

That's scary! Will they release it w/o a shit storm? Most newbies are diagnosing their own cars within 6 month's. Very surprising that a "real mechanic" would struggle. If it's not a "hard part" or internal to engine we can have her going in a jiffy. What was the original problem? Stock? Year? Engine size?

Even if it's engine I imagine someone has a 1.7 kicking around. idea.gif
I really hope she can get it back and going. I would get it out of there PDQ.

I hate to say this, but this is not the car for a person that either can not turn their own wrenches or pay to have it fixed.
nigolusa
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2015, 02:06 PM) *

It's some kind of electrical problem he can't fix. Now 6 months later he tells her why don't we do away with the fuel injection and put a carb on it. This guy is dicking her around hoping she will give up and sell it to him for $500 so he can put a 6 banger and sell it for $15,000. He's a real pig that guy. Makes me feel sick that he is part of the Armenian race.

The car has electrical issues, needs a new clutch reviewed that has been put in. Needs some shifting linkage and transmission checked out. It is a great car and her only joy left in her life apart from her kids.

I'm sure she should would gladly have it shipped to somebody who is willing to work on it and her budget is around $1,000. Also, there are some parts left over.

Let me know, if you would be interested depending on your expertise.

Thanks so much
ndfrigi
Anyone is planning to have a day of garage work help for the family to fix the car? If need an engine, I may be willing to share my spare engine (1.7 but looks like a rebuilt engine mix with bus and 914 parts). And maybe some parts than I can share also. And my labor if we can have a day of garage work for them. And my other suggestion for the family "although it's mother's dream car" is to trade it to a 4 or 5 seater car that will be practical for the family!

God bless this family!
nigolusa
QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2015, 02:06 PM) *

It's some kind of electrical problem he can't fix. Now 6 months later he tells her why don't we do away with the fuel injection and put a carb on it. This guy is dicking her around hoping she will give up and sell it to him for $500 so he can put a 6 banger and sell it for $15,000. He's a real pig that guy. Makes me feel sick that he is part of the Armenian race.

The car has electrical issues, needs a new clutch reviewed that has been put in. Needs some shifting linkage and transmission checked out. It is a great car and her only joy left in her life apart from her kids.

I'm sure she should would gladly have it shipped to somebody who is willing to work on it and her budget is around $1,000. Also, there are some parts left over.

Let me know, if you would be interested depending on your expertise.

Thanks so much

1975 Porsche 914 1.8 liter, smog exempt california car.
nigolusa
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 23 2015, 02:22 PM) *

Anyone is planning to have a day of garage work help for the family to fix the car? If need an engine, I may be willing to share my spare engine (1.7 but looks like a rebuilt engine mix with bus and 914 parts). And maybe some parts than I can share also. And my labor if we can have a day of garage work for them. And my other suggestion for the family "although it's mother's dream car" is to trade it to a 4 or 5 seater car that will be practical for the family!

God bless this family!

But who would buy this car not running? Not sure what to tell her.
nigolusa
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 23 2015, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2015, 05:06 PM) *

Even if it's engine I imagine someone has a 1.7 kicking around. idea.gif
I really hope she can get it back and going. I would get it out of there PDQ.

I hate to say this, but this is not the car for a person that either can not turn their own wrenches or pay to have it fixed.

How can we ship it to Canada???
timothy_nd28
Ljet is no trouble, it's up my ally
nigolusa

God bless this family!

If you're interested, would gladly ship it over to you. You can take your time her budget is around $1,500 tops!! Let me know. She lives in Aracadia, CA and I can rent a auto trailer and deliver it 100 mile radius.
76-914
I'm out w/ LJet (I suspect that is the alleged electrical issue too) but up for anything else I can help with. Maybe Ron (or anyone else close) would let us tow it there and we could do an assault one Saturday???
ndfrigi
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2015, 03:13 PM) *

I'm out w/ LJet (I suspect that is the alleged electrical issue too) but up for anything else I can help with. Maybe Ron (or anyone else close) would let us tow it there and we could do an assault one Saturday???

I'm in! (Saturday pls)
nigolusa
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 23 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Not sure I understand? Tow it where? I can offer towing to anybody who wants to help Jessica and her kids. Can you be more specific? She lives in Arcadia CA but I can rent a trailer and ship it 100 mile radius.

Let me know.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 03:11 PM) *

God bless this family!

If you're interested, would gladly ship it over to you. You can take your time her budget is around $1,500 tops!! Let me know. She lives in Aracadia, CA and I can rent a auto trailer and deliver it 100 mile radius.

I would love too but I don't have a shop and not a license mechanic. I only fix my own cars in my residential garage and driveway.
nigolusa
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 23 2015, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 03:11 PM) *

God bless this family!

I would love too but I don't have a shop and not a license mechanic. I only fix my own cars in my residential garage and driveway.

Thanks for the thought though, really appreciate it!!!! We will find someway to do this.

I sent a personal email to the owner of Auto Atlanta and asked him if he could help her. Waiting for a reply. I'd spring for the shipping $1,500 round trip. But at least they are experts and they would do it right. Hopefully he will give her a major break on the price. Waiting to see.
budk
[quote name='nigolusa' date='Jan 23 2015, 06:22 PM' post='2137694']
[quote name='ndfrigi' post='2137692' date='Jan 23 2015, 03:19 PM']
[quote name='nigolusa' post='2137688' date='Jan 23 2015, 03:11 PM']
[quote name='ndfrigi' post='2137671' date='Jan 23 2015, 02:22 PM']

God bless this family!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the thought though, really appreciate it!!!! We will find someway to do this.

I sent a personal email to the owner of Auto Atlanta and asked him if he could help her. Waiting for a reply. I'd spring for the shipping $1,500 round trip. But at least they are experts and they would do it right. Hopefully he will give her a major break on the price. Waiting to see.
[/quote

Not really a car for a family. Maybe she should sell it for $4-5K (?) and if you donated the 1500 you are willing to use to send it to AA she could get a modern, reliable larger car. Btw, search on this board for AA.
Blue6
Hey Nick,

I know of a long time Porsche shop just down the freeway from her in Whittier. I'm going there on Monday, will try to explain the situation, and see if he can take on a quick project. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable. As far as you know it's just an electrical and clutch problem? Dave
ndfrigi
Oops I'm in Arcadia now dropping my wife to a church seminars. I hope I can find time later if I will be able to check the car.
nigolusa
[quote name='budk' date='Jan 23 2015, 03:56 PM' post='2137708']

God bless this family!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote

Not really a car for a family. Maybe she should sell it for $4-5K (?) and if you donated the 1500 you are willing to use to send it to AA she could get a modern, reliable larger car. Btw, search on this board for AA.
[/quote]

Somebody would be willing to pay 4-5K not running????
nigolusa
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 23 2015, 04:42 PM) *

Hey Nick,

I know of a long time Porsche shop just down the freeway from her in Whittier. I'm going there on Monday, will try to explain the situation, and see if he can take on a quick project. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable. As far as you know it's just an electrical and clutch problem? Dave

Good God that would help tremendously. She's been promised by many to fix it, they all flaked out. She's a soldier of life. She's fought 1000 battles. She deserves this small favor from the community. The only wish she has ever had is to see her car running again. Let me know. My email is: nigolusa@icloud.com. Cell: (626) 979-4230.

Thanks again.

P.S. She's very scared of mechanics at this stage. Let's not promise her anything unless it's real. Thank you so much!!!!!
nigolusa
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 23 2015, 04:58 PM) *

Oops I'm in Arcadia now dropping my wife to a church seminars. I hope I can find time later if I will be able to check the car.

The car is at "Strictly German" in Pasadena, sitting there for 6 months, not at her house. It's only 15 minutes away.

I have to go there and take it out via AAA or something. Will do that next week and bring it to her home in Arcadia.
nigolusa
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 23 2015, 03:04 PM) *

Ljet is no trouble, it's up my ally

Thanks Timothy. I'm not sure how to handle this. Meaning do I take the car where it can be worked on, or do I invite everybody to Jessica's house. She has a new landlord cause she's renting. Have no idea if she will let her work on a car in the front of the house.

Have to think this one out.
timothy_nd28
Can you get the car to your house? I can walk you through every step in getting this Ljet up and running. beerchug.gif
nigolusa

God bless this family!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who or what is AA????

[/quote]

[/quote

[/quote]
nigolusa
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 23 2015, 05:30 PM) *

Can you get the car to your house? I can walk you through every step in getting this Ljet up and running. beerchug.gif

Yes I am going to take it from "Strictly German" next week. Will let you know. Leave me your email address And I will keep you all posted.

My email: nigolusa@icloud.com
nigolusa
[quote name='nigolusa' date='Jan 23 2015, 05:30 PM' post='2137748']

God bless this family!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who or what is AA????

[/quote]

[/quote

[/quote]
[/quote]

Who or what is AA??
nigolusa

Hey Nick,

Thanks so much. If ever the community could help somebody, Jessica is the one. She's fought 1000 battles and still forging ahead.

Thanks again....
nigolusa
QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Hey Nick,

Thanks so much. If ever the community could help somebody, Jessica is the one. She's fought 1000 battles and still forging ahead.

Thanks again....

Yes before it rained in the compartment 3 years ago or so, it ran great. After the rain it wouldn't start. Four people tried to fix it, all failed. When it was roadworthy, it ran great. Problems were grinding 1st, loose shift linkage, clutch fried, engine ran great. All the cosmetics of the car is not important. The mechanicals are so I can help her to go to grocery store, etc...
nigolusa
QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Hey Nick,

Thanks again....

Yes before it rained in the compartment 3 years ago or so, it ran great. After the rain it wouldn't start. Four people tried to fix it, all failed. When it was roadworthy, it ran great. Problems were grinding 1st, loose shift linkage, clutch fried, engine ran great. All the cosmetics of the car is not important. The mechanicals are so I can help her to go to grocery store, etc...

The mechanic at Strictly German suggested a carburetor instead of fuel injection since it is smog exempt. No idea if this is smart or not.
timothy_nd28
He's no true mechanic. Stay with the FI
funk
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2015, 09:21 AM) *

Heh--Mendocino is a loooong way away from Pasadena. Something like 8 hours' drive, or more.

--DD

oh I thought it said she lives in arcadia I thought that was nor cal??
nigolusa
QUOTE(funk @ Jan 23 2015, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2015, 09:21 AM) *

--DD

oh I thought it said she lives in arcadia I thought that was nor cal??

No it's Arcadia, CA 91007
nigolusa
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 23 2015, 05:56 PM) *

Well he fucked up the Mass Air Flow Sensor, cut opened it up, left it out in the open, the rain is filled the plastic piece exposing all the electronic wires. Just sitting there full of water with rust appearing. What a bastard.

I told her she needs to take the bastard to small claims court.
timothy_nd28
I think you mean the air flow meter. Not a big deal, it can be cleaned
nigolusa
QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 23 2015, 05:56 PM) *

Well he fucked up the Mass Air Flow Sensor, cut opened it up, left it out in the open, the rain is filled the plastic piece exposing all the electronic wires. Just sitting there full of water with rust appearing. What a bastard.

I told her she needs to take the bastard to small claims court.

Sorry we gave this idiot tons of changes and I know his game. He's waiting until she gives up so he can buy the car off for $500. Then he'll put in a 6 cylinder engine and sell it for $15,000. What a pig.
nigolusa
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 23 2015, 06:29 PM) *

I think you mean the air flow meter. Not a big deal, it can be cleaned

Mass Air Flow Senor, that large grey piece with the small black cover. He cut the cover and the electronics were all exposed. Left it in the rain, the little compartment is full of water.

Not a cheap piece to replace I hear.
nigolusa
More pictures from the past.
timothy_nd28
Those green colored fuel injectors look like they belong on a 2.0 D jet, not a 1.8 Ljet system. Did the mechanic install these?
ndfrigi
Wow the engine looks cleaner than my 75 1.8FI also. Yes I think the injectors are not for 1.8.

I'm sure if we can get some member here to gather one day to hang out with that car and fix those things.
nigolusa
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 23 2015, 07:13 PM) *

Those green colored fuel injectors look like they belong on a 2.0 D jet, not a 1.8 Ljet system. Did the mechanic install these?

Well, funny you should ask. It was a X Highway Patrol officer who fixes porsches that put those on. That guy tried to rip us off too.

I can't even tell you the hell she and I have been through to get this car fixed.
timothy_nd28
The mechanic should of caught that though, those injectors flow twice as much as needed. Try to get this car towed to your house, and in the meantime, post a WTB ad in the classified section for some L jet fuel injectors.
Dave_Darling
Also ping Jeff Bowlsby about that broken injector connector.

--DD
nigolusa
OK first gotta get car out. Thanks for all of the help. Will keep everybody posted.

Thanks again!!!!
abes914
QUOTE(nigolusa @ Jan 23 2015, 07:45 PM) *

OK first gotta get car out. Thanks for all of the help. Will keep everybody posted.

Thanks again!!!!

i pulled my ljet fi from 1975 1.8 2 yrs ago. i couldnt get it to work. it have a rebuilt airflow sensor that i bought from rockauto.com
i am willing to donate it all to her and her kids.

the only thing is that i am not able to drive to arcadia due to work, school and kids.

i dont go to this forum much so email me at abrahamfiloteo@yahoo.com

ndfrigi
Thank you Lord! Now more parts are coming in for donation!
76-914
It makes me proud to be associated with such a fine group of people.
nigolusa
Thanks everybody for pitching in. I can tell you so much about Jessica, that she's an incredible mother, an incredible sculptor, an incredible friend and an incredible fighter. Suffice it to say if I was going to battle, I would want her on my side!!! She's endured more than a human should. She cheated death in her teens. Later when she gave birth to her first son, the doctors in Argentina had no idea he was a Hemophiliac. He was hemorrhaging in the brain, they operated on him, was supposed to be clinically dead, but she refused to give in and demanded the doctors continue working on him. Her whole life changed. She came to the states, her husband abandoned her, she was left alone to care for this fragile crystal of a child suffering from severe Hemophilia A with spontaneous bleeding and legally blind. Now he's a college student at Pasadena City College in California. An incredible story that should be made into a movie. I can write for a week and tell you all stories you wouldn't believe!!!

Jessica is truly a soldier of life and deserves the communities support.

Again thank you everybody for any and all help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.