Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - Ye Olde Vanagon Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Dr Evil
There was a synchro that was not running for sale in my town back in 2006-7 when I was in med school for $2000.....but I was in med school and had no storage or money. I knew I would regret that headbang.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 17 2015, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(blabla914 @ Mar 17 2015, 08:05 AM) *

I'm just going to leave this here.........

Porsche 991 wheelbase 96.5" (96.7" for GT3)

Vanagon wheelbase 96.9"

discuss......

991 weight distribution: 39/61

Vanagon weight distribution: ~ 51/49 (depending on model Vanagon weight distribution)

914 weight distribution: 46/54

914 wheelbase: 96.5

Mark/911euro - tell your wife the "cute Westy" is for her, to avoid the chair.gif biggrin.gif

Mark/Kelty - From 27 years of loading experience for both trips to Home Depot/Lowes/etc. & family long XC trips with our 88 Westy, that F/R balance can vary widely! blink.gif

I've put in way over max of paving stones on the center floor for 1.5 miles Home Depot to home, but am in limits for trips - but then it was still down to 35 mph, then 30, then 25 on the 3 successive big I-70 WB grades over the Rockies with me + 2 kids & our stuff!!!! It's an Auto, so that robs some of the meager 95 HP!

95 HP - another thing in common with the 73-74 914-2.0's! ....at about 1/2 the wt.!
... + F & R sway bars too!

When I take the Westy on mountain twisties (without my wife, who doesn't like it too fast), I'm amazed at how well it handles for such a tall & skinny wheelbase (relative to ht.) vehicle!

After all 48 months during the factory warranty of complaining about the left lean on our Westy from new & them saying no problem, when I changed out the springs & shocks F & R in 2013 - it turned out the factory put in the std. duty tin top springs instead of the HD Westy ones.

New proper HD factory springs & shocks - NO MORE LEAN!! Dang dealership idiots & factory mis-assembly cost me several $100s 25 years later, & the proper HD springs would not have sagged in all probability!

As to cost of ownership, the `88 Westy has cost 3-4x as much as for my `85 BMW 325e over the years per my Quicken Reports I do every so foten. So quality was not a high point at VW in the 1980s!!

Anyone else in the east or southeast with an AC Vanagon or Westy have trouble with cold condensate water dripping down on the rear seat & stowage are in back?? confused24.gif

Every trip when we got into the Texas Panhandle & on east we had a frigid rain forest from our AC dripping! I finally rigged up a gutter & drain spout with a wallpaper glue trough & some clear fridge water hose to catch & drain it. In SoCal & Southwest it's dry enough to not be a problem.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris H.
Speaking of Synchros...what about this Quantum? There IS a big dent up front. Don't see many of these.

Quantum

Audi engine/drive train? Seems like it would be easy to upgrade that to something newer/better/faster. 1.8T or something?

tumamilhem
I was fascinated with the B32 when I first discovered it (I was looking for a Type 2 T2b Westfalia). The other VW-Porsche!

Porsche B32 walk around video

Porsche B32: The Porsche Camper Van That Almost Was
messix
real 4x4 has a 2 speed transfer case, anything else is just all wheel drive.
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 19 2015, 06:32 PM) *

So what do I call it when I have a lockable diff on the rear wheels and a decoupler on my drive shaft to disengage from the front axle? confused24.gif
messix
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 19 2015, 08:43 PM) *

So what do I call it when I have a lockable diff on the rear wheels and a decoupler on my drive shaft to disengage from the front axle? confused24.gif

a selectable all wheel drive with a locking diff.

do you have a high/low range transfer case......

granny low 1st gear doesn't count, i have that and the high low on the jeep.... a real 4x4
KELTY360
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 19 2015, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 19 2015, 08:43 PM) *

a selectable all wheel drive with a locking diff.

do you have a high/low range transfer case......

granny low 1st gear doesn't count, i have that and the high low on the jeep.... a real 4x4

Well....can you fix omelettes and capuccinos for breakfast in your kitchen after a good nights sleep in your comfy bed when you get to the end of the trail? slap.gif

Click to view attachment

Can you find the Westy in this picture?
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
euro911
Eileen got a lot of attention at the desert event I went to this past week.

Click to view attachment

One gentleman there said he looked at a nice SYNCRO the previous week, and the seller was only asking $8k for it blink.gif

I figured it was probably already gone, so I didn't bother to get the seller's contact info dry.gif

P.S. Just going through a week of email(s) ... got a notification that my new Yokohama Geolander ATS 215/65-16 tires should be delivered here tomorrow mueba.gif - I guess I'd better get to cleaning up and painting the one remaining unfinished MBZ CLK wheel shades.gif
Chris H.
Awesome Mark. Looks like fun.

Here's one for $8k...but it's got some rust. Probably better to pay more locally than import this one... Looks like it's covered in salt too.

$8k Synchro

Good deal though given what these are going for.
KELTY360
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 22 2015, 10:17 PM) *

Eileen got a lot of attention at the desert event I went to this past week.

Click to view attachment

Seems to be a real diversity of attitudes in this crowd. shades.gif laugh.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 23 2015, 07:13 AM) *

Awesome Mark. Looks like fun.

Here's one for $8k...but it's got some rust. Probably better to pay more locally than import this one... Looks like it's covered in salt too.

$8k Synchro

Good deal though given what these are going for.

I went on The Samba and local Craig's List and it seems the market has exploded. I don't think I saw a Westy below 12k and that was an air-cooled Vanagon. Anything below 10k is probably going to need a lot of work. Whew.
euro911
Ham Radio people rolleyes.gif ... a lot of us are musicians too. Had some good jam sessions rock_band.gif

This is the creation I came up with this year. Several people helped - by dumping a pile of junk at my camp site dry.gif

Click to view attachment

It's a fun gig ...
Chris H.
So there's just one strange thing about this Vanagon...totally fixable, but hilariously odd...

Bondovan

WTF.gif

av-943.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 24 2015, 07:46 AM) *

So there's just one strange thing about this Vanagon...totally fixable, but hilariously odd...

Bondovan

WTF.gif

av-943.gif

The bondo looks like the state of Texas in reverse. Maybe he should just paint it like a relief map. flag.gif
Chris H.
LOL! GRIND THAT DOWN DUDE!!!!

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif
Chris H.
And here's a version you can actually see without a magnifying glass.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Well, we ended up getting into a trailer/RV space for the Ocean Mesa Vintage Trailer Rally this past weekend, so our Westy got bumped for our 1960 Avion T20 TT instead. We were taking the Westy if staying in the tent camping spaces.

So no chance yet to do some nice post resto pix at the beach, plus it turned out El Capitan State Beach campground below where we were was closed up due to a water well problem anyway, so we couldn't have gotten down there for the beach front pix anyway. dry.gif

On another note, I had a jackass come by on his bicycle & ask if I wanted to sell the Westy when it was parked on the street during the auto-musical chairs we have to do to get the Avion back in the driveway.

What was insulting was he offered me a whole $4500! ... that's right - no zeros missing !!!! mad.gif

He knew about Westies too, so it's not like he could've even thought it was a reasonable price for one even not knowing how much resto we've done!

He came by the house about a year ago & offered $6500 telling me that his uncle restores & sells them up in San Ferd Valley, but he doesn't remember that.

My answer was the same both times: "Get out of here fool!"

I just hate those rip off a-holes like him! Geesh!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 24 2015, 08:42 AM) *

And here's a version you can actually see without a magnifying glass.

Click to view attachment

You're missing the point Chris..... That's Modern Art! ... not a repair! laugh.gif
Chris H.
To be fair he actually explains it very well. He had some extra bondo every once in a while and just smeared it there every time instead of throwing it away...never planning to actually fix the dent that way, just temporarily.

$6500 offer for your Westy? The really nice blue one ???? screwy.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 24 2015, 11:08 AM) *

To be fair he actually explains it very well. He had some extra bondo every once in a while and just smeared it there every time instead of throwing it away...never planning to actually fix the dent that way, just temporarily.

$6500 offer for your Westy? The really nice blue one ???? screwy.gif

I've actually seen artwork like that with bondo on canvas for sale in galleries in Laguna Beach! blink.gif

Yes - the nice blue restored one owner of ours (we only have the one, unlike some on here), but he only offered $4500 on Sunday!

The guy is a goofball looking for a steal! dry.gif

I told him he should try a guy around the corner with a terminal project pre-87 non-Westfalia pop-top conversion (American - blanking on the name now) & he may sell it for 4500, but he said no, he wants a real westy only - so he knows them.

I suggested that he look at NADA, KBB & GoWesty for REAL prices/values, before he insults anyone else with a Westy.

We used to call guys like that a Doofus! biggrin.gif

Tom
///////
Chris H.
This looks very nice....

89 Carat

Not many pics...but a full re-spray couldn't have been cheap.
Chris H.
What ....?

Click to view attachment

E-Bay Link - Poor Vanagon sad.gif
Chris H.
Dudes...here's a synchro and it comes with a Subie 6 with wiring harness/computer...$7500... the rust situation would need to be investigated,

Synchro package deal
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 2 2015, 12:49 PM) *

I kinda like it.....in a perverted sort of way. At least it's air cooled.
Chris H.
Ummmm.....this is interesting....Syncro with an SVX engine partially installed...just needs to be finished. Wiring harness, intake, exhaust not done (wiring IS one of the sucky parts). No affiliation, just pointing it out. $7k seems like a decent deal depending on the overall condition.

Synchro SVX Vannie
Dr Evil
Oh man, if I had $7K to blow I would snatch that up in a heart beat. Has most of all the things I would want. Dang I bet it sells fast, even to one of the restoration places that get $75K for restored versions.
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 4 2015, 12:54 PM) *

Dudes...here's a synchro and it comes with a Subie 6 with wiring harness/computer...$7500... the rust situation would need to be investigated,

Synchro package deal

Seems like a decent deal...heck it even comes with an extra Subie 6 for your 914!

Chris H.
It's gone...anyone here? The $7000 syncro is still in play.
euro911
Yeah, I bought it - and my wife came unglued mad.gif

... JK ...
Chris H.
But you sold some stuff Mark confused24.gif ! Net zero gain right ?! What's one more Vanagon in the scheme of your collection? You could get to Arizona really fast too. "Hang on honey, little short cut here...be there in a jif..."

Click to view attachment
euro911
laugh.gif

If the Westy sells, I may keep the 'BB' - when Dianne's '71 is done, we'll have a 914 here and one in AZ biggrin.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 6 2015, 10:10 PM) *

Ummmm.....this is interesting....Syncro with an SVX engine partially installed...just needs to be finished. Wiring harness, intake, exhaust not done (wiring IS one of the sucky parts). No affiliation, just pointing it out. $7k seems like a decent deal depending on the overall condition.

Synchro SVX Vannie

idea.gif drooley.gif screwy.gif

Good the ad says sale pending...
Chris H.
Yeah probably a good thing for those of us mid-project (all of us biggrin.gif ). Great deal though. The man hours it takes to pull that engine and install it in the Vanagon...big PITA already done. It does need an intake and exhaust fabbed and the wiring isn't done, and you know how fun that is. But it's a syncro...with an engine...for $7500...
gumbajv
What did the MSDS 3.2 conversion kit consist of? I recently pickup a '86 Doka. I prefer the old school 911 in a bus approach. I've run a few different 911 motors in my '68 d/c 911 2.4E, stock 3.2, slightly modded 3.2, and currently a modded 3.3 930 turbo.
Chris H.
Do you LOVE this or HATE it?

Stretch a gon

Click to view attachment

It'll be one or the other most likely.
euro911
I think 'Limogon' would be a better name for it confused24.gif

Looks like it was done nicely, but just not my cup of tea. The turning radius must suck.

I'd like to see pix of the interior.

914forme
Hate it,

Now if it was a Westy, and a Single cab bed on back. aktion035.gif I would trade my 914 out, and go SCCA Pro Solo tour with a nice Forumla V, or modified rail setup. Nothing like a tube frame car, with a Subaru engine, and lots of huge wings to make for a fun less than 60 seconds. happy11.gif

Thats just me, the wife might have different ideas headbang.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(gumbajv @ Aug 23 2015, 07:36 PM) *

What did the MSDS 3.2 conversion kit consist of? I recently pickup a '86 Doka. I prefer the old school 911 in a bus approach. I've run a few different 911 motors in my '68 d/c 911 2.4E, stock 3.2, slightly modded 3.2, and currently a modded 3.3 930 turbo.

Hi Gumba,
I've checked out your 930 powered bus in the conversion section of Pelican...it's over the top !
I could email you a pic of the entire kit (not in production at this time), just pm me your email.
Basically the customer just needed the; vehicle, engine, harness, transaxle , 911 L+R outer motor mounts (or Elephant racing), flywheel ,disc, fuel delivery system, converted tach, DME /other mgmt. with mgmt. harness.
1999 prices were approx.
$2,400 2wd kit
$2,600 4wd kit
$3,300 2wd kit for g50
Marty
Tom_T
idea.gif ....1000 words....

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
euro911
Egads ... there's more than one of those on the loose? confused24.gif

Actually, after looking at both pix more, I think it's the same one (note the slightly discolored sliding door mechanism panel at the rear), just with a different set of wheels and window decals ...
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 8 2015, 04:36 PM) *

Egads ... there's more than one of those on the loose? confused24.gif

Actually, after looking at both pix more, I think it's the same one (note the slightly discolored sliding door mechanism panel at the rear), just with a different set of wheels and window decals ...

Could be Mark!? confused24.gif

There was a build thread link to another site with that one too .... but more like a sawzall-smiley.gif cut-n-paste or welder.gif weld thread! laugh.gif

IIRC it was Dave K who posted it a few years back on my topic, when I had said my wife wanted to know if she could pull her "new to us" vintage Avion trailer (sim. to old Airstream) with "her cute little van" ... as an option for her with her van. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Maltese Falcon
Years ago I did see a stretched camper van at the VW Classic, in the OC (held every June) that was pretty rough.
The windshield banner read;
"Westfailure" biggrin.gif
KELTY360
My Westy's license is Tintipi. This one could be Twintintipi.

There is a member here by the name of Otmar who has an EV 914 that also has a duplex Westy that is two different colors with a zipper painted at the junction. Last I heard he was going to mate a Tesla power train chassis to a Westy.

Edit: turns out he's putting the Tesla power under his stretched Westy. Here's his blog: Stretchla
euro911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 9 2015, 09:29 AM) *
Years ago I did see a stretched camper van at the VW Classic, in the OC (held every June) that was pretty rough.
The windshield banner read;
"Westfailure" biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Love it
Chris H.
The good news is that the pic at the top IS the same van as the one for sale on the previous page. Looking at the pics there's not a LOT more room in there than a regular Westy. Would be fun to drop that off at the valet though biggrin.gif .
Tom_T
Mark - I think I saw that Westfailure there too! .... Hilarious!! biggrin.gif

Frankly, I think that one of those little lightweight Euro trailers like an Eriba Puck in tow with a Westy is a better solution for added camping space, than a 2x Westy.

They're <1000 lbs. & within the limited towing capacity of a Splitty, Bay or WBX/Vano Westy, cuz they were designed for Bugs & other small Euro cars of the 50's-80's (& are still out there today). They occasionally show up FS on evil-bay & trailer sites, & we've seen a few here in SoCal at vintage trailer events, one pulled by a 2002 Cab (Euro), & a couple of others behind a Splitty & a Bay Window Van (tin-top non-Westies).

That way you can leave the trailer unhitched, if you want to run off somewhere else in the van while camping, but still have the extra bed space for the kids, another couple, etc. Screened-in side awnings, rear hatch & side tents work well too to expand the enclosed space.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Maltese Falcon
I'll take this little g63 6x6 from Sindelfingen.
Just a few clicks down the road from Wolfsburg pray.gif Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.