Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jim kelly's 1975 914 suby build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
jimkelly
31 LBS. what u thinkin 76-914?

and here is a pic that shows the turbo water pump with my header better. amazing clearance with turbo water pump. maybe 1.5"
jd74914
Looking good Jim!

You might already be planning on it, but I would spend a little time with an angle grinder to take down the sharp points just to protect yourself. It sucks getting cut on a sharp edge when you're working on something else entirely.
jimkelly
you know, the guys here at work have been gettin on my ass about that too. seems like you guys might be right about SHARP EDGES.

i did gouge the rear bumper on my honda fit the other day when removing it from my car sad.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 2 2017, 09:56 AM) *

you know, the guys here at work have been gettin on my ass about that too. seems like you guys might be right about SHARP EDGES.

i did gouge the rear bumper on my honda fit the other day when removing it from my car sad.gif

The bumper gouge sucks. Yeah, I've got a few scars from sharp plate edges so I'm always extra cautious.
76-914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 2 2017, 07:00 AM) *

31 LBS. what u thinkin 76-914?

and here is a pic that shows the turbo water pump with my header better. amazing clearance with turbo water pump. maybe 1.5"

Just curious. Wanted to compare our weights. You still thinking about mfg cradles? av-943.gif I'd starve to death making these things for a living. Did you track the materials cost? I had about $160 in materials but I used 4130 which ain't cheap. beerchug.gif
jimkelly
i think i was about $50 in matls, mild steel, mostly 1/8" and some 1/4".

shipping is the KILLER for a buyer. fedex and ups charge about $170 or so, regardless if its going 6hrs away or 16 hrs away.

i've only made 2 so far, one for myself (1st one) and sold one.

got to find a way around high shipping cost. size is about 40x30x8 at 31lbs if i recall correctly.
jimkelly
fwiw..

Scott <scott@renegadehybrids.com>
6:59 PM (41 minutes ago)
to me, travis
Yes, I have the adapters for a 901/914 transaxle output flange to a 100mm (86mm x 8mm six bolt threaded pattern) CV joint. $100 each. Thanks for asking.
Sincerely,
Scott >>> Renegade Hybrids
www.renegadehybrids.com
702-739-8011

Andyrew
So 400 for a set of 4. Or 200 for a pair if you do it like I did. Not that bad.
jimkelly
see andyrew's post #498 and his whole awesome thread smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4780&st=400
mepstein
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 2 2017, 11:24 AM) *

i think i was about $50 in matls, mild steel, mostly 1/8" and some 1/4".

shipping is the KILLER for a buyer. fedex and ups charge about $170 or so, regardless if its going 6hrs away or 16 hrs away.

i've only made 2 so far, one for myself (1st one) and sold one.

got to find a way around high shipping cost. size is about 40x30x8 at 31lbs if i recall correctly.

When I bought mine, it was shipped from Ohio for $55. FedEx
jimkelly
$55 to $100 nationwide would be great. i need to figure out how coldwater did it.
jimkelly
complete lack of energy and funds to proceed but plan to get back on it soon. thought i'd at least share info about the cradle i made based on coldwater's cradle's dimensions. for subaru ej series engine and 5 spd trans. you'll noticed some ovaled holes and such, this is my first draft which i took these measurements from. i have more notes at work that i will compare these to. i would have liked to fine tune this design and sell them but shipping (fully welded) is cost prohibitive.
BeatNavy
Jim, was wondering how you were doing. Hadn't seen an update in a while.

Happy New Year, though beer.gif
hockeymutt
Great looking mount! if you could soft mount everything and see it works I would totally pick one up from you! I could even come down and give you a hand with it.
jimkelly
i'd like to think that 4 porsche rubber mounts would be adequate. but i have complete suby trans mounts at work and will look into this. some random pics.
76-914
The Suby stock mounts are fine. One day I'll need to replace one and I want to be able to source one easily i.e. a Subaru dealer. I wouldn't remember remember where I bought a custom engine/trans mount. Stay after it and it will happen. beerchug.gif
jimkelly
flmont's thread gave me a little boost of motivation : )

i corrected one engine mount i had in crooked and quickly installed engine mount in order to measure height between mount and body where trans occupies at trans mounts area. 9-3/4" space i have. time to double check if this is enough. then i'll replace half assed trans brackets with a real subaru bolt in trans mount. 14 degrees in delaware today, burr.

guess i could cut out section with half assed mounts and weld in a piece of angle iron so i have a flat at the bottom side for 2 bolts bolts for suby trans mount.

based on spare subaru 5 spd trans in my garage, about 10" of clearance is needed. so i am almost ON THE MONEY as it stands, using spacers as needed should suffice?
jimkelly
ok, i cut out section with homemade mounts and drilled for subaru mount. now i need to weld a piece of rectangular tube 1x3 i'm thinking underneath to get strength back. this piece will have holes for suby mount on top side and holes large enough for the nuts that hold mount secure.

well i am on hold till my machine shop orders some steel and includes my 20" piece of 1"x3" .125 wall rectangle tube.
jimkelly
finally got my cradle revised to use oem subaru trans mount : )

looking forward to mounting it my car one day ; )

the cross bar is 1 x 3 and it has small holes on top to receive the subaru mount's studs and big 1" holes on bottom to allow for the flanged nuts to pass thru.
914forme
Great but all I can say was you where correct the first time. Hard mount the engine and trans and shift linkage as one unit. And then use mounts in the factory locations. This keeps everything together in a really nice way.

So what it does for you is keeps the shifting, all nice and tight as it does with the trans and engine. Everything that can move does as one unit. Solves so many little detail problems.

Best of luck in your venture. beer.gif
jimkelly
connundrum.

i'll have 914 mounts in all four corners but i HAD them and the rubber subaru motor mounts prior to this change. thus the engine could move and only the trans was ACTUALLY hard mounted to cradle.

though i did not think about how this added allowance for movement will effect shifting blink.gif

i saved this in case i need it for my frankenstein cradle biggrin.gif
76-914
Have you weighed that cradle yet?
Chi-town
I think you need to get these into production idea.gif
Chi-town
At our age we're supposed to have less carbs in our life laugh.gif

There are some rather inexpensive itb options for 4 cylinder Subaru engines

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Red-Individual...5-/201807196159
jimkelly
i agree. just F N around mostly.

rhodyguy
Any idea what the induction system on the bug is?
jimkelly
here is the link to the carbed subaru bug

https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...45bfc358f949886
jpnovak
Any update on your project or availability of a cradle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.