Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Part Next!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
william harris
The car looked so small once it was off the rotissere and back on the ground. I kinda forgot what it was like to be on the ground and on wheels. laugh.gif
william harris
wink.gif Thanks for the interest in my continuing quest to have the "factory fresh and then some" restoration project, as Brad said, East Coast Style. Final picture, me and Richard enjoying a great moment. w00t.gif
echocanyons
Lookin damn fine

great progress smilie_pokal.gif
partsman
Ah, now the fun really begins....

I can't wait to see the car, William...DId Jimmy say how long before we get it home?

Eric
william harris
Next week. smilie_pokal.gif Eric, get those computers hooked into Germany. type.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (william harris @ Apr 8 2005, 11:47 PM)
Final picture, me and Richard enjoying a great moment

Man... that must be the weirdest overall I've ever seen in ANY shop laugh.gif
ChrisFoley
Here are a couple more restoration related pictures.

2.0L cylinder heads refurbished by Hoffman Automotive machine. new valves, seats, springs CrMo retainers, etc.
ChrisFoley
New parts from the Type 4 Store.
Flywheel kit, cam and gear, gaskets and seals, 96mm P&C set, CrMo pushrods, rocker assy with swivel adjusters and solid spacers, oil pump, etc.
Not shown is the ceramic lifter set from LN Engineering.
ben1440
more pics more pics more pics!.....i need my fix
Jake Raby
Them sure are mighty purdy parts!! I think I might have put some fingerprints on'em...LOL

That one is done right!
SpecialK
I need to never ever come to these threads with friggin' beautiful restores being done! headbang.gif

That is going to be one fantastic example of a 914 when you get her done William!!! wub.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Apr 13 2005, 02:43 AM)
Them sure are mighty purdy parts!! I think I might have put some fingerprints on'em...LOL

That one is done right!

Everything was perfect when I opened up the three boxes to examine the contents. The parts were packaged as though they were being shipped by UPS or Fedex, even though I was at the Type 4 Store to pick them up and bring them back with me. No short cuts were taken.
The day I arrived I presented Jake with my shopping list that William had approved. Jake didn't even have to think about it. He knew he had all the parts and even knew what I had forgotten to include on the list to complete the engine. I couldn't find some of the part #s on his store website in advance but Jake knew the part #s off the top of his head. I had suggested to William that he purchase the "flywheel kit" from Pelican because there was no "kit" listed at The Type 4 Store. Jake had all the pieces and the price was much better than from Pelican as well. OK, the flywheel isn't new, it's reconditioned, but it looks perfect to me!
William and I got a little impatient during the week while I was at Aircooled Technology. Jake had the list. How come it wasn't being taken care of? Well, good work takes time, and as it turned out, the transaction was completed and the parts ready for shipping before I was ready to leave!
Sometimes it pays to shut up and wait, and let the right people do their thing.
A similar impatience took a hold of us regarding the cylinder heads. We thought Len Hoffman told us the heads were ready. I was going to pick them up while I was in Georgia. That didn't happen because Len got sick and couldn't work for several days. He ended up shipping the heads to me and I got them on Monday. Why were we impatient, I don't know. It's not like we were ready for them yet. Even though these heads needed some crack repairs Len told me he thought they were some of the best 2 liter heads he had worked on. They look perfect! The work cost a bit more than William or I anticipated but, you know, when you are dealing with special work, you get what you pay for!
Now the burden is on me. I have to do an expert job of assembling this collection of pieces so William can enjoy driving his new 914 for years to come. I only hope I can live up to the standard already set by our suppliers. I'd better wear gloves so I don't smudge Jake and Len's fingerprints. biggrin.gif
MJHanna
Thanks for posting all the progress it’s really exciting to see all the hard work and Dollars going in to your car. smilie_pokal.gif
I’m a sucker for blue cars and Lapis is one of my favorites. I can’t wait to see how the topside will look with paint. wub.gif

william harris
Chris and Jake pray.gif Thank you for posting those pictures Chris. mueba.gif I will call you late Friday to make final details to come to CT on Saturday with the rest of the parts. Hot Damn happy11.gif this thing is looking good! drooley.gif
Eric_Shea
Paint it already! mad.gif

We're Jones'n DAMNIT w00t.gif
william harris
Hey Eric: will probably post progress pictures tomorrow. A Tech Professional Auto Body got busy while the suspension work was being done, so they finally pushed it into their shop today. By the way, my core pedal assembly is headed your way. biggrin.gif
william harris
Well it is painted. monkeydance.gif
william harris
drooley.gif
william harris
wub.gif
william harris
Can't wait to take pictures in the sun light. pray.gif
william harris
Next.
william harris
The guys at A Tech Professional Auto Body in Peabody, MA did an outstanding job. beerchug.gif
william harris
Got to go do a deposition now. Will pick the car up (on flat bed) today and post more pictures this evening. Tomorrow I meet with Chris Foley to start the next installment. boldblue.gif
TravisNeff
FUNTASTIC!
Eric_Shea
Whew...

Excellent. smilie_pokal.gif
ben1440
that is an awsome color, cant wait to see it in the light
Korijo
is that 99 Saab blue?

i ask b/c my bug is...
maf914
William, It's looking very good! smilie_pokal.gif After seeing yellow and orange projects (not that there's anything wrong with that!), it's strange to see a metallic blue. I can't wait to see it all together.
william harris
Paint is Porsche color: Lapis Blue Metallic!!! A Tech sprayed 5 coats of color and then 3 coats of clear. It is fantastic!!! boldblue.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE (william harris @ Apr 15 2005, 11:16 AM)
The guys at A Tech Professional Auto Body in Peabody, MA did an outstanding job. beerchug.gif

Wow, that is a fantastic paint job.

BTW, how the hell did they get the paper taped on the car, did someone get inside and underneath the car? unsure.gif
william harris
OK, I just delivered my baby wub.gif home. Man, I can't wait to dive into the interior restoration and motor build. boldblue.gif
william harris
I didn't hang the door or put the lids on because I am waiting for new seals to be installed and they aren't here yet. Oh, Partsman, Partsman!!! lol2.gif
william harris
Next.
william harris
These pictures in the shade don't do this paint justice. Tommorrow when the sun is up smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Sorta better pictures with a little of the fading sun. biggrin.gif
william harris
This one is better. clap.gif
william harris
Wow!!! Check out those reflections. cool_shades.gif Here are my two main men: Richard from AutoBahn Performance who did miracles with the suspension, etc. and Jimmy from A Tech Professional Auto Body. Gentlemen, I salute you. beerchug.gif
william harris
Away she goes for the ride home.
william harris
Back to the 914 lair. Damn it is good to have her back. drooley.gif
CptTripps
Stuning...wow.

I hope my paint comes out 1/2 as nice as that...

Great work...er...check writing. biggrin.gif
william harris
Now that I got her back home, the real fun is just beginning. Today I took the main wiring harness out (Thanks Jeff Bowlsby) and began to reinstall. Everything from the fuse box forward is now in place. These pictures taken in the sun may show the paint better. smile.gif
william harris
If you have never removed the entire wiring harness, all I can say is that you must take your time. Reinstalling just the front section (by far the easiest) has taken about two hours. Figure at least 12 hours to get everything thru the tunnel, the two branches to each side under the seats and up the back pad, and then the real bitch, into the engine compartment. wacko.gif
william harris
One of my special areas is to remove all the wires from the relay under the passenger seat and then get them all back in the right place. Remember, if you screw this up the car won't start. boldblue.gif
william harris
The Lapis Blue Metallic really glows in the sun! cool_shades.gif
william harris
I have to do the wiring work in small increments, otherwise you get very frustrated and make mistakes from fatigue. lol2.gif
william harris
I have ofter wondered if I was quite mad to remove the main harness. I am sure I will curse the bastard who did this so I gotta fix it!!! happy11.gif
william harris
In the next day I will find the driving lights and horns and reinstall them. At least the parts collection seems to be shrinking. screwy.gif
william harris
Everyone who has seen the Lapis Blue Metallic loves it. I am very happy with the color and it has really moved me along in wanting to finish the project. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Here's my helper today. clap.gif
william harris
I'm gonna take a break now and take the kids mini-golfing and out to eat. May post more later today. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.