Full Version: Restoration Part Next!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jeroen
awesome pics... can't help it, but I just love 'm like that
my car will be media blasted in about 6 hours
it'll never be as immaculate as yours though biggrin.gif
TimT
Whats the name of the shop? Dont keep it a mystery!! I can tell these guys are doing some real quality work!! give them some credit!!

william harris
Atech Professional Auto Body in Peabody, MA. They make their money doing collision work, but take on one or two full blown restorations for "interesting" cars per year. The last car they did a ground up restoration on was a big block Shelby Mustang. I love these guys willingness to go the extra, extra mile. wub.gif
CptTripps
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Wow...just wow.
rhodyguy
it's nice to sleep easy knowing the guys are doing a first rate job! did they resmear a bit of seam sealer in the corners of the trunk seal chanel?

k
Eric_Shea
Amazing! drooley.gif
william harris
Yeah, Jim (the owner) wanted to try and replace the seam sealer that was removed in the rustoration process. Especially in the trunk, I found rust under what appeared to be good seam sealer, I would pull it out and it had allowed water to seep under and rust in a hidden process. Remember, Chris Foley tig welded up a lot of small pin holes and Jim sprayed/brushed seam sealer in the trunk (and on the floor pan) to duplicate the factory look. beerchug.gif
william harris
Paint work has started. They shot the bottom of the car first so we could install the powder coated suspension and then have a "roller" as they paint the top of the car. These pictures don't do the paint job justice. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
The color is Lapis Blue metallic and in the sun light it is radiant. cool.gif
william harris
Over the next 4 or 5 days hopefully the new suspension will go together and the car will be back on its suspension and wheels for the first time in 2 years. clap.gif
william harris
These shots were made about 8:00 a.m. this morning. After the guys saw me taking pictures they rolled the body out for a better look. wub.gif
william harris
It is really exciting to see the paint going on. boldblue.gif
william harris
Next.
william harris
These pictures make the color look purple - which it is not. Must be the angle and my camera. It is very rich and dark blue in person. mueba.gif
william harris
Well, you are probably tired of seeing these pictures, so I will only post a couple more. lol2.gif
william harris
next
william harris
next to last
william harris
last one: so, what do you think? cool_shades.gif
mike_the_man
WOW!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

That looks fantastic! I love the colour. I'm so jealous.

mikerose
We have a shop in North Andover. Next time I get into town I hope to see your car WOW

Mike cool_shades.gif

www.IR100.com
william harris
I would love to show you the car - whatever state it is in. North Andover is about 20 minutes away. My office is in Beverly, MA 978 921-2929. Hope to hear from you.
Root_Werks
You are making fast progress! Cool! I love that color and dang.....that looks amazing! smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Fast Progress? You musta missed the part about this restoration starting two years ago. Sorta started like this in the Summer of 2003 beer.gif
Rand
drooley.gif
Very nice! Makes me want to get a rotisserie and start another project from scratch! Of course, keep us posted with new pics as you go!!!
Doug Leggins
Oh My.....

Love the color!!!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I know that seein the car in primer put a big smile on your face. How ya feelin now???
william harris
When I am done with it, very soon I hope clap.gif the rotissiere will be available to all local NE (MA, NH, CT, etc.) members to use for their projects.
Jeroen
that's it... I'm not gonna post any of my progress pics anymore mad.gif
I hate you and your car's an ugly POS...!

lol2.gif
Gint
Nice William! I love the color.
william harris
Ya roon, remember all it takes is time and money, mostly money and the right people willing to do this sort of work. I went to five or six body shops who told me no way would they work on a car on my rotissiere and then stop mid-way for me to bolt in the suspension. Gotta find real car guys!! smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
The fantastic work at A Tech Professional Auto Body continues: here we see the steel rocker panels (thanks Greg Treadway) in the paint both with the front and rear valances. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Another shot inside the paint booth mueba.gif
william harris
One of the doors and the hood are stashed away beside the booth so no one with bother them wink.gif
william harris
Jim and crew continue to spend time blocking and sanding the body. The lines on this car are beautiful wub.gif
william harris
Prior picture: I told Jim I wanted to see blue everywhere, even inside the doors!! cool_shades.gif
william harris
More
william harris
Somewhere there are pictures of the car in here beer.gif
william harris
I think this paint job is really gonna be a knock out!!! rolleyes.gif
william harris
Three weeks later and they are still working that body! biggrin.gif
william harris
Maybe by the middle of next week the car will be back on the suspension and wheels again. burnout.gif
william harris
Rick and Richard, the crew at Autobahn Performance in Peabody, MA are building up the suspension. All suspension parts have been powder coated. I am installing the Elephant Racing polybronze bearings and other goodies, new ball joints (German) and turbo tie rods, adjustable Konis, 100 lb springs and front and rear anti-sway bars (OEM). Can't wait to show more next week. boldblue.gif
william harris
Last one for today. Much, much more to come. driving.gif
william harris
So after tapping all the holes to remove paint, and building up the front suspension subassembly, Richard is really moving the project along. First thing, he ran the solid stainless steel fuel lines thru the tunnel (thanks Chris Foley) and out the fire wall into the new fuel line grommets (thanks Brad and HPH). Then he ran the hard line from the brakes thru both ends and hung the cleaned up brake proportioning valve. Oh, I forgot the new clips for the fuel lines (thanks again Brad and HPH). Here's what it looks like today. smilie_pokal.gif monkeydance.gif clap.gif
Root_Werks
drooley.gif
william harris
Notice all the factory manuals on "top" of the car? idea.gif Hey, I need to get bronze bushings for the shift rod and lever for the tranny. Best source. Here's another view. mueba.gif
william harris
The front suspension is basically back on the car for the first time in more than a year. All pieces powder coated, Elephant Racing poly bronze everything, turbo tie rods and coming soon, the adjustable Konis (thanks again Brad and HPH). Here's the front end as of noon today. wub.gif
william harris
Tommorow the rear suspension goes on and the front and rear anti-sway bars, soon it will be back on its wheels. aktion035.gif
markb
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 6 2005, 10:00 AM)
drooley.gif

agree.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
William,

That looks friggen awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good work, I'm proud to know that we'll soon have a bueaty like that on the east coast! cant wait to see it!

-adam
william harris
Thanks Adam. But there is still an awful lot of work ahead over the next couple of months. There is no wiring in the car. I have to install the refurbished main harness (thanks Jeff Bowlsby) and wire up everything. Then there is the whole interior. Alot has to be restored, subdash, new dash pad installed, all interior trim, etc. And we haven't even gotten to the engine (another Chris Foley project - thanks to three boxes of parts from Jake Raby and 2.0 head work from Len Hoffman), so my best efforts might yield a driver by July. We definitely will announce a fire it off party. beerchug.gif
Well,

when it's all done it'll be well worth it... It took me about a year of work before I had mine on the road, and 15k miles later I still love it... By the time you get that done it looks like it'll be better than new, and ready for a few long trips! if you have it done by Porsche Parade that could be a fun one...

-Adam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.