Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Part Next!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
william harris
Over the last six weeks the car had gotten incredibly dusty in the garage. Waiting on Eric Shea pedal assembly for the next week project. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
I really love the Lapis Blue Metallic. Every small job keeps getting me closer to a running car!!! driving.gif
william harris
Hey Racer Chris: how about posting some pictures of the engine build when you get a chance. welder.gif
william harris
Even my wife is impressed with the looks of the car as it comes back together. lol2.gif
Eric_Shea
It's on the way!

Car looks great. Wanna see your pedals? Check the thread biggrin.gif

Uncle William's Pedal Rebuild
william harris
Within the next few days the doors will be finished and back on the car. Next comes the engine lid. I'm gonna replace the silver PORSCHE script with gold, think it will look better with the blue. boldblue.gif
william harris
Gotta get up to Ipswich and return the steel wheels used for the paint work. beerchug.gif
william harris
Eric, what a great post, this is what the 914 community is about for me!!! smilie_pokal.gif Can't wait to put that beautiful pedal assembly back in the car. I pulled out the master clinder so I could put the grommets for the plastic lines to the reservoir and grommet for wire to master clinder in yesterday. That hard line on the top of the master clinder is a real bitch to get to working under the car. mad.gif
william harris
As the sun sets on a great Saturday, I feel like the 914 community is working with me to finish this project and get back on the road. burnout.gif Eric: that assembly was a real mess because the old master clinder was leaking fluid into the pedal assembly. What a mess. The rebuild is outstanding. wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif rocking nana.gif
Eric_Shea
That hard line on the top of the master clinder is a real bitch to get to working under the car.

Ya think? I guarantee you; tomorrow, you'll have neck muscles you didn't know you had.

Thanks for your business!
william harris
Haven't put the hood on because I gotta get Eric Sanders (Partsman) over here to put the crap in under the hood - then drop the gas tank and associated parts in. cool.gif Well guess I better go outside and push the car back into the garage. type.gif
Allan
QUOTE (william harris @ Jun 4 2005, 04:25 PM)
My neighbors must think I'm nuts. wacko.gif Guess they never saw anybody wash a car with no doors, etc. screwy.gif

I've never seen anyone wash a car with no doors.....

Yours looks incredible though. Love that blue (Normally hate the color).

As far as painting and fixing things that nobody see's, I'm with you; YOU know it's there....................

smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Small steps towards completion. Goal to keep moving every day. Every day put in at least one hour on project. Driver door completed. biggrin.gif
william harris
I know its a small step, but this car has not had doors on the body for about 2 years. Kinda like the looks as the car comes along. boldblue.gif
william harris
My wife said, hey that's starting to look like a car again. Then she got closer and said: where's the motor? lol2.gif
william harris
So tomorrow's goal is to finish the passenger door, hang it and move on to the seal around the inside of the door and across the top of the windshield.
william harris
Next:
william harris
Another, Eric are you looking at these? beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Yeah... different Eric though. Where's those damn pedals? biggrin.gif
william harris
Oh Yeah!!! I got them, wanted to save the pictures for the sun tomorrow because the pedal assembly glows like gold. Tomorrow I may just have to put the pedal assembly in. Damn, I kinda hate screwing with that master cylinder again, had to take it out last week to put the grommets in place for the plastic lines going up to the reservoir. That damn line on top that runs to the passenger side front brake, makes my neck hurt just thinking about it. lol2.gif
Eric_Shea
makes my neck hurt just thinking about it.

Told ya! laugh.gif lol3.gif laugh.gif
william harris
Why is it there is always some part that no human hand or tool can reach? Who built these cars, elves? wink.gif
Dead Air
I've run out of adjectives...
Excellent and wonderful seem kind of weak...
I am not worthy...

Where is the "spooge" smiley when you need it?

wub.gif pray.gif
william harris
So this weekend, which was a real heat wave and very humid here in Massachusetts, I managed to finish up the passenger door and hang it on. So, decided to wash the doors and here is the finished product. Got go take the kids to Star Wars now. wink.gif
william harris
Doors turned out to be quiet a project. New felts in both channels, new felt in the outside window wipe (man what a project that was - my method for install turned out to be get one side of the piece completely in the channel and then flex, bend and tuck the other side in), new rubber wipe on the outside, everything thing inside the door degreased, polished with steel wool and lubed before going back in, had the lift mechanism blasted and painted, new seal for vent window, cleaned the glass, etc. Gotta work on the door panels and vapor seals next. biggrin.gif
william harris
Yeah, almost forgot, put mirrors on each door. The passenger door did not have a mirror (like everybody) so I drilled the holes and taped them for a mirror on that side. Great idea and simple job. rocking nana.gif
william harris
Wanted to post some pictures before it is back in the garage and back up on jack stands. Got that Eric Shea pedal assembly to put in. Since I had to put the grommets in for the plastic lines to the reservoir, the master cylinder is already out and will go back in and then the gravel shield and hopefully that will be it for under the car for a time. happy11.gif
william harris
Here's a pictures of the door, probably can't catch all the details, but everything (and I do mean everything) has been replaced, renewed and detailed. cool.gif
william harris
After the pedal assembly, the seal around the window pillars and across the top comes next, then the sub dash and dash pad, and then the instruments. monkeydance.gif
william harris
Can't wait to get under the cowl, get the wiper motor and fresh air blower motor and vents in place, then drop in the gas tank, etc. and drop the hood back on the car. laugh.gif
william harris
For some reason, the doors seem to make the car seem much more complete. Here's the next PITA project - the prior crappy paint job guys actually painted the door panels yellow to match their masterpiece of painting every other damn part that wasn't moving. screwy.gif
william harris
Other side, you might notice the seal inside the car calling out for my attention. rolleyes.gif
william harris
Next. cool_shades.gif
william harris
Let me tell you, putting the safety straps in the door can be a real PITA, especially the little cotter pin. lol2.gif
william harris
Last one for today. My plan remains the same, keep pushing and find some project to start, move along, finish and keep the momentum rolling along. Thanks for your interest. beerchug.gif
william harris
Well, back to why we are really here. My good friend Eric Sanders came over one night this week and together we got the big seal up the windshield pillars and over the top. This was definitely best done by two guys, although honestly Eric had the technique to get the seal in place. Ever notice how two friends working together get so much more accomplished? Thanks Eric. beerchug.gif
william harris
I also put in the seals on the front of the targa bar and I'm basically finished with the seals and really pushing hard to finish up the interior. Will try to get the doors completed this weekend. Here's the door glass seals on the targa bar.
william harris
So here is the next project for the weekend - what a real work of art. The guys at Autobahn Performance couldn't believe how nice the pedal assembly is. They said next time rather than do a rebuild themselves they will just send them to Eric Shea. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Another view - Eric your workmanship is whatever is beyond First Rate. pray.gif
partsman
Hey, aren't we going to put the roll bar vinyl on?? we should've done that before you put the targa seals on... Remember how good it looked on my car?
mihai914
Nice going and very nice color choice BTW. If you don't mind, could you take a picture of the door gaps since the engine is out, please.
william harris
Do you mean the gaps when the doors are closed? Are you looking for something in particular? Let me know and I will be happy to post all the pictures you want. smile.gif
Root_Werks
drooley.gif
URY914
That is soooooooooooooo sweet! ohmy.gif

Damn I want a street car mad.gif

Paul
mihai914
QUOTE (william harris @ Jun 17 2005, 01:16 PM)
Do you mean the gaps when the doors are closed? Are you looking for something in particular? Let me know and I will be happy to post all the pictures you want. smile.gif

Yes with the doors closed, and I think you don't have an engine in yet. What I'm looking for is to see if the gaps are slightly bigger without the powertrain. Thanks
william harris
OK, I got you, check in later today. You are right, no engine or tranny yet. biggrin.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE (partsman @ Jun 17 2005, 09:55 AM)
Hey, aren't we going to put the roll bar vinyl on?? we should've done that before you put the targa seals on... Remember how good it looked on my car?

agree.gif
You have made my car look like crude next to your's, such a great job pray.gif

At least my rims still look nicer (untill you get your's done I'm sure) happy11.gif

Time for you to move out to Sunny S. Cal and help with mine.
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif great job man!! beer.gif
william harris
Thanks guys, I had a vision in mind. This will probably make some guys flinch - I wanted a better than factory fresh restoration and then I want to flog and drive the wheels off the car. Yeah, that's right, rain, crud, bugs, what have you - I would like to put 200,000 miles on this car before I pass it on to the next generation. biggrin.gif driving.gif burnout.gif
partsman
Hey William, remember how you said I was always like a son to you......When do I get the car?? driving.gif

Your long lost son, and part time slave laboror.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.