Full Version: Restoration Part Next!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
william harris
Suzie and I are gonna go roll the car back into the garage now. driving.gif
william harris
Last one for now. sad.gif
william harris
Now I'm working on this relay. The big push & pull into the engine compartment comes next. smash.gif
william harris
It's probably news to the rest of the world, but today is a state holiday in Massachusetts - Patriot's Day!! smilie_pokal.gif So, Nick and I got busy pulling the main wiring harness into the engine compartment. I learned the hard way that the branches must go in a precise pattern so that everything can be pulled thru - the logic relay panel wires must go in last. Here's Nick very proud of helping me today. I was in the engine compartment, I would feed a wire thru to Nick, he would attach the wire with a wire tie to the wire branch and feed it in. Took about 1 hour to do. beerchug.gif
william harris
I bundled all the wires together and then used electric tape to tape everything together tight and secure to pull thru the tunnel and out the engine fire wall. mueba.gif
william harris
I took a break from rewiring the logic relay panel under the passenger seat to post these pictures. That will be finished today. Learned you must be careful pushing in the small clips to remove, cause you gotta push them back out (very damn small they are) to reattach! Bowlsby, your work on the harness is spectacular. You repaired several bad areas around the logic relay panel (and removed the seat belt interrupt starter circuit!!). Man, it is finally almost entirely back into the car. boldblue.gif
william harris
My oldest son wanted to get into the picture as he left to go back to college today. Now he wants to know when the 914 will be back together. lol2.gif
william harris
So I pulled everything thru and put the bundle in the trunk for today. Next into the engine compartment. driving.gif
william harris
Here is where I stopped for the day. More to come. wink.gif
Kargeek
Patriot's Day..I called my client back in Boston and they had the day off. If I have known Iwould have taking off the day too.

Gteat job! Takes me back to 20 years ago when I did mine. Keep up the pictorials!

Cut some black vinyl tubing and place over the hold down tabs for the wireing harness- as the factory did.

DH
william harris
Thanks Karqeek, I have a bag somewhere in my garage with all the hold down tabs I removed. Some can be reused. A lot will have to be replaced because they were painted with previous repaints without removing anything. happy11.gif
kenpolives
Isn't it time for more pics????????????????
william harris
Well, we have continued to try to make small progress. Eric (Partsman here) Sanders hooked me up with all new factory seals. Here is where things stand.
william harris
New hood seal is place (OK Eric don't tell anyone I installed it upside down), new bulkhead seal, new dash/Windshield seal, wired in Pilot lights, and lights are now in and waiting only for screws for chrome surrounds. Working on the trunk is almost complete.
william harris
Inside, all new seals for the trunk. Also, you can't see the new dog bones used to mount the bumper. Inside the trunk are small hard parts to mount the sub-dash, it should be ready to go in this week.
william harris
Let me tell you pushing those factory seals in place takes a lot of muscle power - the rubber has a metal band inside and you really got to push, push, push. A couple of the pieces are about an inch longer than needed and will have to be trimmed. biggrin.gif
william harris
I am starting on the engine lid tonight and setting up a work bench to build up the door. All the hardware, seals, channels, etc. will be replaced or renewed. smash.gif
william harris
My plan is to build a small work bench that will support each door on a couple of inches of foam padding and then add the window and door hardware, glass, etc. and then hang the door after they are completely assembled. Will let you know how that works. idea.gif
william harris
Also put in these new seals on the body for the doors. These (like almost every other seal) were missing from my car when I got it three years ago. wink.gif
william harris
Put these in just to see how they fit. They will come out later as the whole assembly goes in.
william harris
I had saved the old "hoses" and just bent these to the same shape. Putting this stuff in under the cowl is definitely a two person job and will have to wait for a weekend when Eric can come over to help me. beerchug.gif
william harris
So does your wife get pissed when you bring car stuff in the house and put it on the dinner table? w00t.gif
william harris
Next week my goal is to have the dash back in the car and start on the interior. boldblue.gif
CptTripps
I spent the last 2 days replacing all the seals too. The one I hated was the windscreen. I thought the trunk was fairly easy...THAT one is a BITCH!

Looking great man!
william harris
Yeah, haven't gotten to the windshield yet. Got to find all the chrome guide pieces and fire up the silicon can! headbang.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (william harris @ May 22 2005, 09:42 PM)
Yeah, haven't gotten to the windshield yet. Got to find all the chrome guide pieces and fire up the silicon can! headbang.gif

I used Butle tape between the car and the chrome strips. Then I used White Lithium (sp?) grease on the seal, and it slid RIGHT in! Makes it ***A LOT*** easier than just silicone.
william harris
Thanks for the advice. Now I know what I will be doing next weekend. lol2.gif Any issues with clean up with the grease?
Doug Leggins
Looks like its going together very well! And your moving at a quick pace -good job!!

Let me tell you pushing those factory seals in place takes a lot of muscle power - the rubber has a metal band inside and you really got to push, push, push.

Those seals really suprised me too on how difficult they can be to install. The one that goes on the bulkhead between the rear trunk and engine bay is the one that made my thumbs hurt for 2 days. Lots of push required to get that one on!

Keep up the great work, the car is looking fantastic! smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
Sure is a nice looking job there.. I like the color!

Wow.. I need to wash my car. smile.gif

M
MoveQik
That car is sick! It is gonna be awesome when you are done. Hell...it is awesome now! beer.gif
MecGen
This is a cool thred

I just had a flood of memories when I finally got mine back together, rubber, trim...cool eh ?

GOOD TIMES
later
Joe

beerchug.gif
william harris
Thanks for all the kind words. This site keeps me inspired and moving in the right direction. My goal is to be ready to drive to WCC3. driving.gif
partsman
Those seals really suprised me too on how difficult they can be to install. The one that goes on the bulkhead between the rear trunk and engine bay is the one that made my thumbs hurt for 2 days. Lots of push required to get that one on!

Ah, now I know why William had me do that seal...I couldn't get the divets out of my thumbs for quite a while...

I've seen this car in person, and it is almost undescribeable....it's like watching the factory thirty years later...what a rush!!

Eric
CptTripps
I've been using a rubber mallet to 'cooerse' those seals into place. Light tapping did the trick.

No issues at all with the grease. It sprays on with a tube, and I use a rag to get a grip on the seal.

Another trick with the Windscreen seal was to use some of that Wurth adhesive, and after you get it on, latch the FRONT of the targa in place. That REALLY get's it on there good. Leave it on there overnight, and it'll be sealed up great.
william harris
So today I decided to try to finish off the front end, at least with the parts as they stand today. The driving light/horn grills must be replaced, as well as the clips and screws. Also, this winter I intend to pull the bumpers off and rechrome them. But for now, they are good to go. I am very happy with the way the Pilot lights look and can't wait to fire them up. cool_shades.gif
redshift
Thanks Mr. Bill, your thread has inspired me to wash my car.

smile.gif

M
william harris
Chrome on the bumper is very good, but some idiot prior owner drilled three large holes thru the bumper (duh?, rather than remove the bumper - hey that takes four bolts and five minutes screwy.gif ) to open the front lid when the cable broke. Well, when I rechrome the bumper I will have them weld the holes up before the new chrome goes on. Another view. mueba.gif
william harris
Friday, Partsman (Eric Sanders) got me the six screws that go in the chrome surround around each headlight. The old screws were completely rusted into the buckets. I drilled them out and then had to tap out the holes to get the new screws in. Close up. Spent alot of time with the steel wool to clean up the chrome stuff. wacko.gif
william harris
Also started on the doors, window channels, winder mechanism, etc. Clean and redo everything before it goes back in. happy11.gif
william harris
Another view up front. Miles, show us that clean car. rolleyes.gif
william harris
Stuff waiting for my attention. Every part was painted by the previous crappy paint job, so a lot of time will be spent removing the overspray and paint where it don't belong. ar15.gif Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. boldblue.gif
lybones
You rock! Too bad Discovery Channel isn't doing 914 shows.
william harris
OK, so two weeks spent on one door. Holy crap, the damn inside wipe (the PITA piece that slides into the aluminum guide) beat my ass today, got it about half in with liquid soap and decided to call it a day. Hope to finish it tomorrow. Any how, decided to go ahead and assemble the rest of the door just to see how everything goes. Here's where I left it today.
william harris
Remember now every piece was oversprayed yellow when the prior crappy paint job was done. So everything was cleaned (heavy duty degreaser works wonders), polished with steel wool and wire brushes, detailed, disassembled and reassembled and cleaned, lubed, etc. All new seals, the window lift mechanism was wire wheeled and painted, etc. I am damn happy with the way this is gonna turn out. biggrin.gif
william harris
You know it is a special form of insanity when you spend hours cleaning and painting stuff inside the door that nobody will ever see. Still, I know it is there and better than new. wacko.gif
william harris
The funny thing is I'm gonna take the whole door apart again before the "final" assembly. The vent glass is just sitting in place, no glue or sealer - guess I will put something in there. Same for the felt channels for the glass. Anyway, I gotta put that PITA piece in tomorrow. Then I will start on the passenger side door. lol2.gif Crazy stuff no longer available - like the cap at the top of the back window channel for the driver's door - passenger side is available from Porsche - but no driver's sides??? Are they different? screwy.gif Also the brace under the vent window is different from 73 to 74 piece (I had both), the 73 piece has a big tab that goes into the seal under the vent window and offers a lot more support. happy11.gif
william harris
I know some guys won't get excited by the door details, but I like the detailed stuff to finish off the car. By the way, what was used to attach the vapor seal (plastic liner) to the metal door before the door panels go back on?
william harris
Anyhow, for the concours wiennies, the glass is the same glass that came out of the car, hell for all I know it has a date code somewhere. lol2.gif Tomorrow hope to post pictures of the damn PITA thing all done and ready to go in. happy11.gif
william harris
Today was the first day this year it was over 80 degrees in Massachusetts. So, I felt the need to put the wheels back on the car and give her the first bath since the new paint. Man, this was fun. biggrin.gif
william harris
My neighbors must think I'm nuts. wacko.gif Guess they never saw anybody wash a car with no doors, etc. screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.