Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Part Next!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
william harris
OK, here we are almost two years later, and the car is in the shop for the body and paint work. Found a guy willing to do the detail body work - metal reshaping and almost no body filler. Here's the first few shots.
william harris
A lot of time has been spent with the hood. It was very wavy at the leading edge and so far this is what it looks like two days later.
william harris
The doors will also require a lot of work. More pictures to follow tomorrow.
rhodyguy
do you own the rotisserie? one would sure prove handy putting the car back together. i can't imagine doing it without one

k
william harris
Yes, the rotissiere is another of the fine products and contributions to my efforts thanks to Chris Foley & Tangerine Racing. Once I'm done with my car it will be available to other 914 owners here in Massachusetts for their projects and then I guess I might sell it. biggrin.gif
william harris
OPPS, wrong picture.
914GT
Car matches color of the house. You may have just given someone here on the board another idea. laugh.gif
william harris
Well, it used to match. Going to be Lapis Blue metallic when we are done. Yeah, I know - Yellow is faster, but, one, it was not the original color and two, I think 914s in dark blue look super!! boldblue.gif
Pudge
Anyone have a dimensional drawing of a rotisserie?
william harris
There are plans available on the AA barf.gif website. Sorry George! screwy.gif
william harris
I just realized you are a newbie - that means Automobile Atlanta. happy11.gif
partsman
Wow..you've done me and my little 'ol macco paintjob proud.....I can't wait till we're on the road again... driving.gif driving.gif
william harris
Eric, I didn't think you would see this. Glad you did. beerchug.gif
guywan914
William, glad to see things are taking off again. Looks like everyone that has contributed their efforts on your car have done a tremendous job. Can't wait for mine to reach at least that stage. And yeah Chris is the man smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
The body guys are still working their asses off! This hood has been worked on for days! smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
So, I walked around the shop and took more pictures today. I really appreciate the attention to detail - like adding back in the seam sealer that I stripped off in the hunt for hidden rust. happy11.gif
william harris
next
william harris
Believe me a lot of metal work went into that front valance - it was wavy and bent up like any 30 year old piece of metal hanging down there. biggrin.gif
william harris
next
william harris
The owner is a perfectionist, he wants me to bring the rear bumper over tomorrow so he can shape the back under the deck lid - yeah it was bumped. icon_bump.gif
william harris
He is welding, grinding and metal working every part of the car.
william harris
There is hardly any part of the car that he hasn't worked and improved. Can't wait for the paint. beer.gif
william harris
The front of the car (hole for emergency release of front latch) had been messed up, so he welded in a patch and made it good. cool.gif
william harris
closer shot
william harris
next
william harris
next to last
william harris
last for today. Ain't she a beauty? wub.gif
joea9146
Looks Good.... Are Sure u do not want to do Flares ??
Now is the Time... smash.gif welder.gif
william harris
My opinion, to do flares you need a 6 and 5 bolt Fuchs. Too much to change. Gonna look very stock and stealthy! That is until I open up that Chris Foley exhaust on the unsuspecting. biggrin.gif welder.gif smash.gif
mistro
Just to get an idea, cause the mind boggles at the amount of work done... How much is this costing? Rgds, Michael
djm914-6
Where's all this work taking place? the back ground looks familiar, but I can't place it.
william harris
Hi David: you musta been to Autobahn Performance in Peabody at some time. Atech Autobody is right next door. mueba.gif Michael, if I posted how much it might end up as Exhibit A in my divorce trial. I will send you a PM which you must destroy. monkeydance.gif
MecGen
Hy Guys
I must say first, this is the mostasskicking resto !
I did my restro with the same effort but not as good results, I have a scratch, looks like it was made with the worn end of a bicycle handle. 6 inches, my bodyman straiten it, I begged him to keep going, he and the owner, my friend, assured me that continuing to pound might make more harm then good. I think I scare them, they know me and baby blue... very picky.
if I posted how much it might end up as Exhibit A in my divorce trial.

If someone walked in my shop with your 914 shell (before work) on rotiss, to bring it to the last pic, including finding a couple older metal pounders.....5,000$ to 10,000$, probably around 8,000$. This is with no rocker / floor work, but includes paint. How close am I ? it might be more.....amazing work. Can you pm me on how close I am please ? I will destroy the pm unsure.gif
And for you guys looking for an easy rotissary, I have a local "do it your selfer" toolmaker/engineer/pedler/salesman, a guy that builds and sells (out of the backof a pick-up) his own tranny jacks, engine hoists, engine stands, etc...he is well known around these parts for good/low priced shop tool. Anyway a friend of mine struck a deal with him, 2 engine hoists, but hydrolics removed and a strait bar installed, shortend main bar BUT adjustable for hieght, and all casters all around (this was pricey 8x). The longer arms/wider stans give way more stability. Kinda overkill for a 914, but I am going that route the next resto. I think he said 500$ canadain. Its an option.
Thanx for a good read
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
MecGen
Of couse the arm is shortened on the rotiss,

Joe

beerchug.gif
djm914-6
QUOTE (william harris @ Mar 22 2005, 06:24 PM)
Hi David: you musta been to Autobahn Performance in Peabody at some time. Atech Autobody is right next door.

Ah yes! I used to work up the road a ways in N. Andover.
Gint
Lookin great William! Don't ya just pop a chubby whan you see your tub comin together?
william harris
Oh yeah, and it will really go from here. As soon as the underside is in paint, and while still on the rotis, I will pop in the brake line and stainless steel fuel lines (another Chris Foley contribution) thru the tunnel. Bradholio got me new rubber bushings for where the fuel lines exit the rear fire wall. Next I will post all the suspension parts - they are coming back from the powder coater tomorrow. And we have those adjustable Konis and Springs from the HPH group buy about a year ago. The next few weeks are gonna be real fun! rocking nana.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif monkeydance.gif boldblue.gif
william harris
Ok, 8 days later and the body shop guys are still preparing the body for paint. No detail is too small for these guys. I am very happy with the efforts. Also, I picked up my powder coated suspension parts today and tomorrow they start building it up. Will post suspension pictures next.
william harris
The level of metal work that went into the hood is amazing. This is the old fashioned way, hammer and dolly and shrinking the metal.
william harris
2 or 3 guys have spent hours and hours going over every detail on the body. The shop owner has really gotten into doing the restoration. He told the Porsche shop owner next door that he was enjoying the work because somebody finally wanted to do it the right way. beerchug.gif
william harris
Don't think these pictures do the job the justice it shows in person. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Can't wait for the paint. clap.gif
william harris
Final view for today. Much more to come. boldblue.gif
william harris
So almost 2 weeks doing body work. Man, these guys are making me nuts waiting for the paint. type.gif
william harris
As you can see, they have taken the car off the rotissiere to work on some panels (especially the rear panel under the lid) they couldn't do otherwise. Small bump in the back has been hammered out. smash.gif
william harris
Every time I stop by, they are sanding and shaping. Hours and hours of labor in this body. pray.gif
william harris
This car will have a concours paint job. Then we have to rechrome the bumpers, wet sand and buff the trim, etc., etc. rocking nana.gif
william harris
All the suspension parts are being assembled now. Hope to have pictures next week. aktion035.gif
william harris
next
william harris
last for today. Happy Easter everybody. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.