Full Version: Go Big or Go Home: Clay's 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
whitetwinturbo
Car girls are an asset cheer.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 6 2019, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Aug 6 2019, 07:49 PM) *

My wife loves to say, I could have worse habits than my project car. smoke.gif sunglasses.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif Support is great cheer.gif :

Betty always says "It's a hobby that keeps you off the streets. Literally off the streets."

That right there is funny!! lol-2.gif
ClayPerrine
I have to use this quote!

Click to view attachment

Got the engine and trans into the chassis tonight! aktion035.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now to get everything hooked up and get it FIRED UP!

76-914
Where is the cut n patch you that needed to do to the cradle so the tranny lines up?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 8 2019, 09:30 PM) *

Where is the cut n patch you that needed to do to the cradle so the tranny lines up?

Aaron (the machinist) took the front mount apart and removed 1.25 inches from the U shaped plate between the engine and the arm for the mounts. That moved the engine forward enough so the trans mounts fit. It probably could have used another quarter inch removed.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Aug 7 2019, 09:53 PM) *

Car girls are an asset cheer.gif

She is definitely a great ToolWench!
Krieger
Nice work Clay! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 7 2019, 05:26 AM) *

Cheaper than a crack habit and you have more than bad teeth to show for it. teef.gif
Even if it is still on jackstands. unsure.gif

Cheaper? Maybe not. But a lot more physically healthy. I don't know about mental health. screwy.gif
Mblizzard
Cant wait to see this beast!
Jamie
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 8 2019, 06:25 PM) *

I have to use this quote!

Got the engine and trans into the chassis tonight! aktion035.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Now to get everything hooked up and get it FIRED UP!

It actually fits, what a relief that must be! beer.gif
ClayPerrine
Got the engine compartment completed today, with the exception of the oil tank vent lines. I also need the restrictor they put in the 3.2 engine oil lines to keep it from dying when the oil cap is removed to check the oil.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

With the throttle body in the original location, The air intake elbow hit the back wall of the engine compartment. So I flipped it around. I had to fabricate mounts for the air flow meter, and I had to redo the throttle linkage. I don't like the bend in the cable, but the throttle works smoothly without binding. The K&N air filter is just stuck over the air horn cut out of the factory air box. It works, but I will be doing a little rework after Okteenerfest. I still don't like K&N filters, but it is better than nothing.

And yes, the engine lid fits and closes with nothing hitting it. It is close at the elbow on top, but it just barely clears. There is a lot of stuff on the right side of the engine bay. But everything fits, so I am happy.

Next up. Drive axles and exhaust.
mb911
I always thought it would be great to fab an airfilter box that would take a paper element in the passenger fender well . it would require cutting a hole under the battery tray area. Just a thought.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 12 2019, 09:06 AM) *

I always thought it would be great to fab an airfilter box that would take a paper element in the passenger fender well . it would require cutting a hole under the battery tray area. Just a thought.

With all the stuff on the right side (battery, coils, fuses and relays for the DME, fuel filter, fuel return line, and connectors for the sensors) there really isn't room to run it to the wall there.

I need a close up picture of all the crap on that side......
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 11 2019, 08:52 PM) *

With the throttle body in the original location, The air intake elbow hit the back wall of the engine compartment. So I flipped it around. I had to fabricate mounts for the air flow meter, and I had to redo the throttle linkage. I don't like the bend in the cable, but the throttle works smoothly without binding. The K&N air filter is just stuck over the air horn cut out of the factory air box. It works, but I will be doing a little rework after Okteenerfest. I still don't like K&N filters, but it is better than nothing.

And yes, the engine lid fits and closes with nothing hitting it. It is close at the elbow on top, but it just barely clears. There is a lot of stuff on the right side of the engine bay. But everything fits, so I am happy.

Next up. Drive axles and exhaust.

Man, that's a tight fit. You're up to the modern day standard of leaving no space unclaimed !!!

Great Fab work! Love the thread.
ClayPerrine
After flipping the throttle body around to the front of the engine, I realized I could have left the rear trunk torsion bars in. headbang.gif

Maybe I will put them back in.... later.
horizontally-opposed
Really cool to see this coming together....
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2019, 07:22 PM) *

After flipping the throttle body around to the front of the engine, I realized I could have left the rear trunk torsion bars in. headbang.gif

Maybe I will put them back in.... later.

cheer.gif

One of the few fans of the torsion bars here.
ClayPerrine
No pictures tonight... but I got the new Steve Wong chip installed in the ECU, ordered the shift cables and the axles.

Speaking of axles, Turns out the 5 speed uses 100mm CV joints. The 6 speed uses 108mm CV joints. Plus the 914 length is just a bit too long. I need 930 axles.

Oil tank vent hoses and the restrictor (to keep it from dying when I try to check the oil)will be here tomorrow. The shift cables will be here tomorrow night around 8pm.

Current checklist:

1: Install oil vent hoses
2. Install axles.
3. Install exhaust and fabricate exhaust hanger for supertrapp mufflers.
4. Install shift cables and and shifter. Requires fabricating cable mount brackets.
5. Install oil coolers.
6. Run oil lines.
7. Install starter mount and starter.
8. Install clutch slave line, and bleed clutch and brakes.
9. Pressure test fuel system.

I may have missed something, but I think that's all that is left to do.

Then I get to try to start it up.

ClayPerrine
Just some update pictures:

Shift cables are mounted to the trans. Waiting for a fitting for the shifter end.

Click to view attachment

You can see them running into the shift rod and speedo cable holes.

Click to view attachment

I have to tie them down to keep them away from the headers once I get the shifter hooked up.

The oil lines from the tank to the motor should be finished later this week.

Clay
Mblizzard
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 13 2019, 05:48 PM) *

No pictures tonight... but I got the new Steve Wong chip installed in the ECU, ordered the shift cables and the axles.

Speaking of axles, Turns out the 5 speed uses 100mm CV joints. The 6 speed uses 108mm CV joints. Plus the 914 length is just a bit too long. I need 930 axles.

Oil tank vent hoses and the restrictor (to keep it from dying when I try to check the oil)will be here tomorrow. The shift cables will be here tomorrow night around 8pm.

Current checklist:

1: Install oil vent hoses
2. Install axles.
3. Install exhaust and fabricate exhaust hanger for supertrapp mufflers.
4. Install shift cables and and shifter. Requires fabricating cable mount brackets.
5. Install oil coolers.
6. Run oil lines.
7. Install starter mount and starter.
8. Install clutch slave line, and bleed clutch and brakes.
9. Pressure test fuel system.

I may have missed something, but I think that's all that is left to do.

Then I get to try to start it up.

way to go! You are so far ahead of me!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 21 2019, 07:58 AM) *

[way to go! You are so far ahead of me!

I still have to build oil cooler mounts and plumb the system. Also have to make an exhaust that will fit.

Cutting it close. I need to drive it some before we leave, just to get the inspection done. I have to do that before I can register it.

ClayPerrine
Today in the land of big sixes, I got the shifter installed and hooked up. As soon as I started testing it, the half-assed weld I did to hook the 914 shifter arm to the Celica shifter assembly broke. So I had to take it back out, and disassemble the shifter to re-weld the arm on it. headbang.gif

It is back in, and I verified that I can get all 6 gears, and reverse. So that task is done. Tomorrow we will be bleeding brakes and clutch, and I will be fixing the exhaust. Oil system is waiting on a fitting to hook the tank suction line to the engine.

I have to get up in the attic tomorrow morning and look for a clutch stop for the pedal board. I have to have one so I don't damage the clutch master cylinder from over travel.

Picture of the starter side of the transmission. Need to add a few zip ties to keep everything in place. Betty bought me red zip ties, so I am using them! piratenanner.gif Gotta love a wife who loves 914s. driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment

Here's a shot of the interior, all cleaned up. Just waiting on the floorboard to get a clutch stop.

Click to view attachment

And this showed up on the back decklid after we got the motor installed. I moved it to the dash.

Click to view attachment

If you are curious why, just look at Betty's signature.
Rob-O
Oh, look! It’s the Ferrari uni-horse!
worn
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 24 2019, 06:54 PM) *

Oh, look! It’s the Ferrari uni-horse!

Man, that is one cool build. There is so much to like, even though you have spent so much time getting motor and tranny into place, the interior is going to get a lot of praise. Still, the drive train really captures the imagination. Wow! I hope to see the car one day.
ClayPerrine
Nightly update. I don't have a clutch stop, and the left floorboard is not installed. So I think I turned the cup in the clutch master cylinder. It will build some pressure, but won't disengage the clutch. headbang.gif Tried to bleed the brakes and they are moving fluid, but won't make the pedal come up. I replaced the 23mm master cylinder with a 19mm. I don't think it is big enough for Boxster calipers. headbang.gif

I think some of Mike's luck rubbed off on me.

Gonna look up the master cylinder I had online.

Anyone have a clutch pedal stop they can send me asap???

914forme
I should PM me your address
Mblizzard
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2019, 05:28 PM) *

Nightly update. I don't have a clutch stop, and the left floorboard is not installed. So I think I turned the cup in the clutch master cylinder. It will build some pressure, but won't disengage the clutch. headbang.gif Tried to bleed the brakes and they are moving fluid, but won't make the pedal come up. I replaced the 23mm master cylinder with a 19mm. I don't think it is big enough for Boxster calipers. headbang.gif

I think some of Mike's luck rubbed off on me.

Gonna look up the master cylinder I had online.

Anyone have a clutch pedal stop they can send me asap???

Ugh that not good!

SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2019, 06:28 PM) *
I replaced the 23mm master cylinder with a 19mm. I don't think it is big enough for Boxster calipers.

19mm works just fine with Boxster calipers ...
shades.gif
bandjoey
Not go big. GO MASSIVE! Wow that's a build. smash.gif
ClayPerrine
Click to view attachment

Only missing one oil line, from the engine to the right cooler. I have it, but we made it a little too long. So I have to take it and get the fitting crimped back on.

I actually took this picture after sitting on the garage floor, looking up at the engine and trans, and thinking "I can't believe we actually did this!" wacko.gif

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 29 2019, 07:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Only missing one oil line, from the engine to the right cooler. I have it, but we made it a little too long. So I have to take it and get the fitting crimped back on.

I actually took this picture after sitting on the garage floor, looking up at the engine and trans, and thinking "I can't believe we actually did this!" wacko.gif

Digging the twin-cooler setup...and can't wait to hear how this thing drives. Biggest six I've tried was a 3.8, and it was a beast.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 29 2019, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 29 2019, 07:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Digging the twin-cooler setup...and can't wait to hear how this thing drives. Biggest six I've tried was a 3.8, and it was a beast.

The twin cooler setup was to make sure it runs cool. A friend as a stock 993 engine in his 914-6, and he is OK temp wise on the street, but at a DE he can't complete the session without overheating. He only has one cooler on the car, in the back like I have. The coolers I have are factory 964/993 coolers. Porsche put one on a 964, but it is up front in the cool air flow. Hopefully doubling the size will allow it to run cool even under extended load.

wvspin2
Wow great engineering it looks like its always belonged in there. Can't wait to see this perform. popcorn[1].gif cheer.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 29 2019, 09:45 PM) *

This morning I looked at the picture, and thought "What the F**K have I done?" unsure.gif
ClayPerrine
Update: Last night I completed the oil system. The one remaining line was installed, and the system filled. 13 quarts in the tank and sump. Then I spun it over until I had oil pressure. Found I had switched the wires between the oil light sender and the oil pressure gauge. Swapped them and now I can see that I get above 30 psi when cranking.

Working on the brake and clutch systems today. Then the tank goes back in and I start it up!!!

Rob-O
How exciting! So close!
jdamiano
I’m looking forward to Octeenerfest for several reasons, seeing this being one of them. Clay might be able to charge for rides. This one looks like an E ticket for sure!
ClayPerrine
Today was not a good day in the land of Big Sixes.....

Tried to start the motor. No bueno. DME is getting power, check engine light is working, but no ignition, no injector pulse, no fuel pump... nothing.

Check the power to all the sensors and solenoids. There is power to the injector plugs, the coils and the igniters.

Online it says to check the crank sensor. Not the problem. Checks out like the guys on the Rennlist 964 forum say it should. 5.5 volts AC at the DME plug. Spec is between 3v and 6v.

Check the hall effect sensor in the distributor. It is a 3 wire hall sensor, and the shield wire is also the ground wire. And there is no connection between the Hall sensor plug and pin 30 on the DME plug. So no signal.

Tomorrow morning I am going to put a temp wire between the DME and the hall sensor to connect the grounds back up. Maybe that will fix it.

Gotta get it running. I don't want to disappoint anyone.

smash.gif
ClayPerrine
So today's update...

Found out the DME is bad. Put the stock chip back in it for troubleshooting. Now the check engine light doesn't read codes. Online says the DME is bad if it does that. Trying to locate another one.

Pushed another liter of fluid through the brakes. Still no pedal. More details in my other thread.

Changed the clutch master cylinder. Ran out of day before I got it bled.

And my truck is trying to eat a left front wheel bearing.... so I have to do that tomorrow morning before anything else.

headbang.gif
rick 918-S
Have a cup of coffee and relax for an hour. Fresh mind and you will get it sorted. Make a list and work thru it. idea.gif
burton73
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 2 2019, 04:29 AM) *

Have a cup of coffee and relax for an hour. Fresh mind and you will get it sorted. Make a list and work thru it. idea.gif

agree.gif bye1.gif
And do not forget to breath.

Bob B
ClayPerrine
Fixed the truck wheel bearing. Got the brakes fixed on Igor. Got a replacement DME. So after I finish eating, I am back in the garage to see if it will run!!

Clay
Rusty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 2 2019, 11:30 AM) *

Fixed the truck wheel bearing. Got the brakes fixed on Igor. Got a replacement DME. So after I finish eating, I am back in the garage to see if it will run!!

Clay

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Keep waiting.

I was trying to fix the issue with the clutch hydraulics. I didn't try to start it. No point if the clutch won't disengage, and to work on the clutch, I have to work around the headers. I don't want them hot when I try that.

76-914
popcorn[1].gif
ClayPerrine
Update: Sorry, no pictures. Too busy fixing shit.

Got really frustrated with the car.

Seems I had a mismatch between the clutch master and clutch slave. The master was too small to move the slave enough to disengage the clutch. Ordered the proper one from Summit. Hopefully here in the next day or so.

Worked on the DME issues tonight. Found I HATE Porsche for superseding the crank sensor with the one from the 993. It has a different plug, and I wired the plug up a year ago when I got to installing it on the engine. Well, I swapped the shield and signal wires, so the DME was not seeing the signal from the cranks sensor. Fixed that, and the fuel pump started to work when cranking. Fixed a minor fuel leak, and started testing ignition and injector pulse. I have ignition on one coil only. Swapped stuff around to verify the issue, and its not the wiring, it is the ignitor. Hopefully I can get one tomorrow.

Still no pulse at the injectors. Checked them and I have 12V to one side of all of them, and I have continuity back to the DME unit. I had to stop for the night

So the injector issue is next on the DME hit parade.

I am still pushing to make Okteenerfest!

Mblizzard
I feel your pain! Wishing you all the best. But the reality in doing what we love is that there are an incomprehensible number of variables in the effort success. You have to chase each one down and that consumes a lot of time. Keep going! Just in case I ordered a case of 914 bourbon to drown our sorrows.
Rob-O
The experience you’re getting though is priceless.
Rusty
Hang in there buddy! beer.gif
914dave
Nothing like a deadline to motivate you. Looking forward to seeing the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.