Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Go Big or Go Home: Clay's 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Sep 4 2019, 10:11 PM) *

I feel your pain! Wishing you all the best. But the reality in doing what we love is that there are an incomprehensible number of variables in the effort success. You have to chase each one down and that consumes a lot of time. Keep going! Just in case I ordered a case of 914 bourbon to drown our sorrows.

Not a big fan of bourbon, but I have some Whipped cream Vodka and orange soda. (yea, I know.. girly drink.. I like it so screw you!)

I can also bring the band-aids and we can compare our respective injuries.

Clay
ClayPerrine
Last night I got the replacement ignitor installed. Now it fires both coils. Spent time tracking down an issue with the fuel pump. Seems the check valve in the outlet was improperly installed. I uninstalled it. Its supposed to maintain fuel pressure to make the engine start quicker. I can live without it. That brought me to a leak in a hose between the pressure line and the fuel filter. Got that fixed. Changed the DME unit. Seems the injector drivers were bad on the one I was using.

It fired up and died. Twice.

The clutch master is supposed to arrive today, so tonight I will be installing it and fixing the clutch. Tomorrow I will be getting the issue with the engine dying fixed. I think I know the problem.

If all goes well, I will be getting the car inspected Saturday.

poorsche914
piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif cheer.gif
Rob-O
Great to hear!!
Cairo94507
Wow! That is exciting. Congratulations on working all of the bugs out. Please post a video of it running so those of us living vicariously will be able to enjoy it too. beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Krieger
HOORAY! Way to push through!
76-914
Stay with it. RE: conversions; I'm convinced that attitude plays a larger role in completions than experience. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Turn on your sound!!!!
jdamiano
Awesome!!!
Coondog
Congrats, sounds awesome.
Rob-O
I just decided I’m never getting in that thing. Yes, it sounds scary.
Mueller
Congrats, huge achievement with that transmission!
Sounds great.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 7 2019, 09:52 AM) *

I just decided I’m never getting in that thing. Yes, it sounds scary.

Chicken stromberg.gif

You are no fun!

And yea, it makes NICE grumbly noises!
Rob-O
Absolutely chicken! Anybody who heard that video is thinking the same thing as me!

Okay I’ll get in it, but only if we stay under 45mph. Which I’m guessing will occur with the slightest blip of the throttle.
Mblizzard
AWESOME. way to go. Do mine next?
wvspin2
Major achievement, its an awesome build. Gotta love that sound. smilie_pokal.gif cheer.gif evilgrin.gif piratenanner.gif
914four
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 7 2019, 09:44 AM) *

Turn on your sound!!!!

Congratulations!!! smilie_pokal.gif The troubleshooting and quick fixes were quite impressive.

Can't wait to see this thing run at Okteenerfest! smilie_flagge24.gif

Rusty
Congrats, brother. I knew you had it in you... even if you drink girly drinks. poke.gif

j/k.... good job. Proud of ya. clap56.gif
Literati914
Yea Clay that is sooo awesome! Congrats!
SirAndy
Am i the only one who kept replaying the Frankenstein clip like 10 times before watching the car clip?
biggrin.gif slap.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 7 2019, 11:19 AM) *

Am i the only one who kept replaying the Frankenstein clip like 10 times before watching the car clip?
biggrin.gif slap.gif

I did it the other way around. I listened to the Young Frankenstein clip once and the engine clip about ten times.

Young Frankenstein was a great movie, though. True Mel B Classic.
ClayPerrine
Updated the emblem on the back.

Click to view attachment

Thanks to Mike Mueller for the 4.0 emblem. It completes it for me.

As of about an hour ago, Igor has been run through the Texas Vehicle Safety Inspection process and passed. He now has 5.5 miles on the trip odometer.

I have an oil leak and a check engine light to resolve. But even if they don't get resolved, he will be on the trailer headed out on Wednesday morning.

More pictures and videos to follow when I get them off Betty's phone.

worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 7 2019, 11:19 AM) *

biggrin.gif slap.gif

No. I have spent my life in bio sciences, and i can tell you first hand that Young Frankenstein tells the story with accuracy and courage. Many times have i heard the “it’s alive chant” Also, i use it in lectures to professional students from a range of disciplines. With that mouthful, congratulations on the start up. Hold onto your hat for teener fest.
ClayPerrine
Betty got me a shirt....

Click to view attachment
jesse7flying
Congrats Clay! That's some serious determination, inventiveness and dedication on display. Love the shirt too!
Jesse
wvspin2
Absolutely evilgrin.gif piratenanner.gif drunk.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Garland
smilie_pokal.gif

Sound real goooood!
Cairo94507
Sounds very good. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Okteenerfest was a blast on the drives. Seems like I could run out of first gear before I could blink. The car ran great for the whole thing.

The bad news is I lost all the gears in the trans. The shifter moves the shaft on the transmission, but nothing is happening inside. I got a whole box full of neutrals.

So tomorrow I fly to Charlotte, and Sat morning I get driven over to Boone, NC to pick up the tow vehicle. It got a 4k transmission replacement. Then I go back to Charlotte to pick up the trailer, then drive home. Long 2 days of driving.

Next weekend I will be looking into the trans failure. I am fairly sure it is the shift mechanism rather than the syncros or gears.

Jamie
Igor certainly sounded scary big when you fired it up a Okteenerfest!
Rob-O
Fingers crossed that it’s a relatively simple repair.
worn
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 19 2019, 03:21 PM) *

Fingers crossed that it’s a relatively simple repair.

agree.gif
Good luck
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 19 2019, 01:10 PM) *

supertrapps , ruin sound...need dif muffler IMHO..
partsguy22
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 19 2019, 01:10 PM) *

Okteenerfest was a blast on the drives. Seems like I could run out of first gear before I could blink. The car ran great for the whole thing.

The bad news is I lost all the gears in the trans. The shifter moves the shaft on the transmission, but nothing is happening inside. I got a whole box full of neutrals.

So tomorrow I fly to Charlotte, and Sat morning I get driven over to Boone, NC to pick up the tow vehicle. It got a 4k transmission replacement. Then I go back to Charlotte to pick up the trailer, then drive home. Long 2 days of driving.

Next weekend I will be looking into the trans failure. I am fairly sure it is the shift mechanism rather than the syncros or gears.

What were you doing when you broke it ? dry.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(partsguy22 @ Sep 19 2019, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 19 2019, 01:10 PM) *

What were you doing when you broke it ? dry.gif

Shifting from third to fourth on an entrance ramp. I wasn't even accelerating hard.

I think it's in the shift mechanism inside the trans, but I won't know until I open it up.

partsguy22
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 20 2019, 07:19 AM) *

Shifting from third to fourth on an entrance ramp. I wasn't even accelerating hard.

I think it's in the shift mechanism inside the trans, but I won't know until I open it up.

when shifted can you still feel the shift gates or does the shifter move in any direction at anytime ?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(partsguy22 @ Sep 20 2019, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 20 2019, 07:19 AM) *

when shifted can you still feel the shift gates or does the shifter move in any direction at anytime ?

The input shaft on the trans moves with the cables, but it feels like nothing is hooked to it internally.

Betty
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 19 2019, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 19 2019, 01:10 PM) *

supertrapps , ruin sound...need dif muffler IMHO..

I agree completely - but it was Super Traps or the car didn't go on the trip. There were a lot of, I'll say... 'expedient liberties' taken to get the car to Okteenerfest. A genuine exhaust system is in the future game plan. sawzall-smiley.gif biggrin.gif
wvspin2
Was the clutch working when it failed or were you matching revs to gears dry.gif Did that make sense sad.gif
Betty
QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Sep 20 2019, 07:18 PM) *

Was the clutch working when it failed or were you matching revs to gears dry.gif Did that make sense sad.gif

They were separate events from my understanding. Clutch failed, he was going to make the trip back home driving without a clutch (matching revs), then the transmission failed at a later point.

Clay's on the plane right now to Charlotte NC, maybe he'll clarify if he checks World later...
scottthephotog
That sounds right. He was driving without a clutch for the first couple of hours of the return trip.

QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 20 2019, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Sep 20 2019, 07:18 PM) *

They were separate events from my understanding. Clutch failed, he was going to make the trip back home driving without a clutch (matching revs), then the transmission failed at a later point.

Clay's on the plane right now to Charlotte NC, maybe he'll clarify if he checks World later...

ClayPerrine
I am home from picking up the SUV. I did a 2 day banzi run from Denver, NC to Hurst, TX. Left Saturday noon. Got home Sunday 1:30. Long drive, no problems.

I will continue to update this as I fix the issues, both major and minor, with my car.

Stay tuned.... biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
So last night I got out and pulled the pedal box out of my car to see what happened to the clutch.

Sheared a roll pin. But the attachment point for the clutch master cylinder rod was fatigued and would have broken anyway.

So I am reworking the pedal box to fix both these issues. I almost have it, but I need a few more hours to get it right. I will post pictures when I get it done.

As for the trans, it was suggested that the nut holding the cable connections onto the shift rod possibly backed off. That would cause the move but no gears. I checked the nut. It is tight. So Saturday I am going to pull the trans mount and remove the back of the transmission so I can see what happened.

Hopefully nothing major... fingers crossed......

Clay
ClayPerrine
I fixed the pedals...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I turned around the shaft, straightened up the arm, and shortened it so it wouldn't hit the pedal arm. New pin made from solid steel, not a spiral pin. Heated both ends with the torch and flattened them so it won't come out.

The right end had the tube in the pedal base shortened and the bushing reinstalled. Then I put a washer and cotter key in to make sure it doesn't come out.

Now to see what's wrong in the transmission...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Opened it up and found nothing wrong. With the cables disconnected, it shifts fine through all the gears. confused24.gif

Hooked up the cables and shifted it to first at the trans. The shifter was in first. Pulled the shifter to second, and the trans won't engage second gear. At the trans, I am able to put it into second. So now I think there is a problem with the shfiter.

I am going to put the trans back together after lunch and pull the shifter to see what is wrong.

smash.gif

But at least I know what it looks like inside now. biggrin.gif
Rob-O
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 28 2019, 10:03 AM) *

But at least I know what it looks like inside now. biggrin.gif

Yeah, clean! Glad to hear it’s in the shifter and not the box.
ClayPerrine
So I found the problem.....

Click to view attachment

This is the bracket that is supposed to hold the shift cable in the tunnel. It was made from part of the Toyota shifter, and I kinda under-engineered it for my use.

So tomorrow I make a new cable mount.

Rob-O
I’m not sure exactly what that looked like when it was tabbed up. But it looks pretty beat up now.

I’m sure it’s a bit frustrating. But if you think about it, if this is your only issue after this build I’d say this is minor.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 28 2019, 08:22 PM) *

I’m not sure exactly what that looked like when it was tabbed up. But it looks pretty beat up now.

I’m sure it’s a bit frustrating. But if you think about it, if this is your only issue after this build I’d say this is minor.

The bent parts were a flat ring with a notch cut in it. The new one is going to me made a LOT stouter to accommodate my "aggressive" shifting style.

And that is not the only issue. I have a leaking timing box cover. I suspect it is warped. The timing boxes and covers are magnesium, and are really prone to warping and leaking. I am going to try to tighten it up.

wvspin2
First of all, I am glad you had a safe trip to pick up your suv driving.gif smile.gif smash.gif .
Secondly, you really dodged a bullet ar15.gif finding a pin in the peddle box and adapter in the tunnel box. You certainly deserved a good break after all you went through coming home from NC. I was so glad you had all the joy of making the drive at Okteenerfest with your 4.0 mod machine. beerchug.gif driving.gif It's a wonderful machine. Looks like you'll have it back running soon. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(wvspin2 @ Sep 28 2019, 09:10 PM) *

Looks like you'll have it back running soon.

Tomorrow...... It will be running tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.