Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Arne’s post-teener projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
arne
1972 911T coupe. 2.4 MFI, 5 speed. Original spec was Fuchs, F&R sway bars, Appearance Group and factory A/C. No sunroof, crank windows.

Plan is for mostly stock, but with better seats. Definitely back to original silver. It will replace the '84 Carrera as my "keeper". Seller is doing a front pan replacement on it now, then it will be shipped here to Oregon. 4-6 weeks away, I'm guessing.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
terrific car. congrats beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Great year- that has the oil tank fill door on the passenger rear fender right? One year only feature if I recall correctly.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 15 2018, 08:31 AM) *

Great year- that has the oil tank fill door on the passenger rear fender right? One year only feature if I recall correctly.

yes. some of those parts are $$$ or unobtanium.
arne
Yes. As a long wheelbase, no-sunroof '72 with the forward mounted oil tank, this car is probably one of the best balanced 911 versions ever. Stuff some wider tires in the rear and enjoy.

Wonder where I can find a pair of 7R wheels that look like flat sixes?
mepstein
QUOTE(arne @ Dec 15 2018, 12:00 PM) *

Yes. As a long wheelbase, no-sunroof '72 with the forward mounted oil tank, this car is probably one of the best balanced 911 versions ever. Stuff some wider tires in the rear and enjoy.

Wonder where I can find a pair of 7R wheels that look like flat sixes?

They make reproduction 7R wheels but I'm pretty sure they look like deep sixes.
arne
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 15 2018, 10:18 AM) *
They make reproduction 7R wheels but I'm pretty sure they look like deep sixes.

I'm going to need to buy at least a pair of wheels at some point in the project. Two are original, but the other pair are repro, and the spare is MIA.

But yeah, to get a pair of 7Rs that matched the front flat sixes I suspect I'd need to have Harvey weld me up a pair. Probably not going to happen. Finding flat sixes isn't all that hard, even if I want the early ones that use the 3-ear caps. But waiting to get to the front of Harvey's queue for weld-ups just so I can buy expensive and hard to find wide rear 15" tires doesn't make a lot of sense. I've got more important fish to fry.
arne
Getting close to ready to ship.

Click to view attachment
arne
Even closer...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
Finally! It's here!! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
flyer86d
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 1 2019, 09:55 PM) *

Some how , all this needs to go back on the car!!
Eventually hissyfit.gif

Nice car. You’ll love it. Now, pull the top end off of the motor, install a set of 9.5/1 JE pistons and cylinders from your favorite source and a set of 2.4 E cams, have an E space cam installed in the pump and you will never wipe the smile off of your face.

Charlie
arne
If I were rebuilding the motor, I'd probably do just that. But the engine is already done, fresh split-case rebuild with new Mahle P&Cs. Has about 3 hours on it now. I think I'll be happy with it as is.
arne
FYI - Build thread is at http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...1972-911T-coupe
arne
Thought I'd drop by and post a quick update. The 911 runs and drives now -- sort of. The brakes are still a bit soft, still have a bit of air in there somewhere. And I'm trying to track down what appears to be a fuel delivery problem that is proving difficult to find.

I've driven it enough to determine that KYB shocks and inserts are no better on a 911 than they are on a 914. They look rather new, but they suck badly. The fronts especially are so soft the car just bobs around at backroad speeds. Once I get the fuel problem dealt with, new dampers will be the next item. Will need to decide on stock Boge/Sachs or Bilsteins.

And, of course, here are some pictures for my 914 friends...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Nice! Flashbacks to two years ago getting the 914 up and running, I'll bet.

beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice project. Not surprised to hear your comments re the KYB's. They are junk out of the box and the reason they are nicknamed Kill Your Back shocks. The two names that repeatedly come up for Porsches are Bilstein and Koni. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2019, 10:07 AM) *

The two names that repeatedly come up for Porsches are Bilstein and Koni. beerchug.gif

Fwiw, I got talked into Bilstein HDs by a lot of folks I (still) respect last time around, this despite my great experience with Koni dampers in my 914 in the past. They had good, valid reasons, but I wish I had stuck with Konis.

The Bilsteins are fine at speeds of +50 mph, and nicely damped when it comes to low-speed damping characteristics (the way the car transitions as it leans into a bend), but are "busy" when it comes to high-speed damping (think of "patter" as the car deals with small imperfections in the road). They've improved a bit as they've broken in (or I've grown accustomed to them), but I think rebuilt Konis are in my future. That or a revalve of the HDs (have driven some impressively revalved Bilsteins by Craig Watkins, S Car Go, etc). Or perhaps something else entirely…
arne
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 21 2019, 10:26 AM) *
Fwiw, I got talked into Bilstein HDs by a lot of folks I (still) respect last time around, this despite my great experience with Koni dampers in my 914 in the past. They had good, valid reasons, but I wish I had stuck with Konis.

The Bilsteins I had on the '84 Carrera were great. But that was a heavier car with larger torsion bars than this '72. Bilstein calls for the same numbers for this '72 as they do for an SC or Carrera, and I'm more than a little concerned they might be a bit much for the stock '72. Will be driving a friend's '73.5 T next weekend, she has new Sach/Boge in it. Going to pay attention to how it works on the backroads before making a decision.

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Apr 21 2019, 09:44 AM) *
Nice! Flashbacks to two years ago getting the 914 up and running, I'll bet.

Some, yes. Correcting a prior owner's "work" on the mechanical injection (before he admitted he screwed it up so bad that he put carbs on it) is a different deal. Complicated by finding other issues like this lack of fuel under load. Slowly testing each bit one by one to track it down.

I can tell already, however, that the MFI 2.4 will be great once it is dialed in.
arne
Three months later, where am I?

Mechanically, mostly done. Engine and MFI are dialed in and running great. Suspension refresh completed with new Sachs dampers, sway bar bushings and a fresh corner balance/alignment. Brakes finally stop like I want after installing some REAL brake pads - Pagid Orange.

I've put almost 1500 miles on it this summer, engine break-in is complete. Picking away at a few oil leaks, but that's about the extent of the functional part. Overall, the car runs and drives exactly as I expect. (Other than the fuel economy. I figured it would be bad, but who knew a little 2.4L could burn THAT much fuel?)

Now gathering parts in preparation for a full glass-out repaint in the original silver, planned for over the winter. This project will take considerably longer than most of mine, as I'm doing some parts (paint especially) to a higher standard than some of my previous vehicles, and I need to stretch the timeline a bit to ease the financial hit. Recently ditched the really poor fiberglass S bumper and replaced it with a steel factory standard unit, which is what it came with when new. Also have a freshly restored set of Fuchs waiting until after paint.

In any case, I plan to drive it possibly another 1000 miles over the next couple months, and then into paint in October. By spring it should be silver once more.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
As usual, looking great Arne! As for timeline, seems pretty quick to me laugh.gif
arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 5 2019, 07:16 PM) *

As usual, looking great Arne! As for timeline, seems pretty quick to me laugh.gif

Ahh, but we know how long your projects take! And as before, since I'm retired I have a lot more time to spend on this stuff than many do.
arne
The timeline is still good, I'm on track to take the car to the painter next week. I've got the car pretty much stripped.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
911SRegistry

Pelican911forum

Sandbox,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

my 87 Carrera, Backdate
sixnotfour
dry.gif
sixnotfour
the dream
sixnotfour
beer.gif
sixnotfour
beer3.gif2.4 MFI&915, perfect for a 914
914_7T3
Nice Body..................Work! Already in Primer too!

Looking great!

You know its harder to put it all back together, right?

laugh.gif
arne
Not harder, just slower. beer.gif
sixnotfour
so the 911 guys dont like you ...............914.... World ?? @sirandy
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 10 2020, 08:29 PM) *

@sixnotfour

No idea what you are trying to say here ...
confused24.gif

arne

I gather that you object to my stopping in periodically to let the friends I made here on 914world know how things are progressing? Odd that no one has complained about this until now, over two years after I started this thread.

@sirandy - I suspect you were pinged so that you could take some action on this thread. If you'd prefer I don't stop in, just say the word.
sixnotfour
sandbox...
I have plenty of other projects to clog the 914world with..testing 1.2
JRust
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 10 2020, 08:40 PM) *

I gather that you object to my stopping in periodically to let the friends I made here on 914world know how things are progressing? Odd that no one has complained about this until now, over two years after I started this thread.

@sirandy - I suspect you were pinged so that you could take some action on this thread. If you'd prefer I don't stop in, just say the word.

No way Andy your more than welcome. I think just a little misunderstanding there. Jeff is a great guy & has no issue with Porsche guys. I'm sure he was trying to be funny. Please keep posting Arnie. Love to see the projects
napasteve
Here’s another vote for Arne to keep posting. Fantastic work, I love being able to follow.
RickS
Keep it coming. Most car guys enjoy progress reports on like cars and makes.
sixnotfour
just sayin....nothing personal....I have a 87 Carrea Ive been backdating for years,, and a m38a1 since 1967..
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 10 2020, 07:34 PM) *

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
Rleog
Love both the FJ and 911 projects. Keep the updates coming, Arne.

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jan 11 2020, 12:52 AM) *

QUOTE(arne @ Jan 10 2020, 07:34 PM) *

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

76-914
Keep posting. A little variety is nice for a change. This site put-up with me when I desecrated a 914 by converting it to a water pumping Subaru 6. beerchug.gif
EDIT: And Jeff, post up some of your other projects.
SirAndy
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 10 2020, 08:40 PM) *

I don't have a problem with you posting updates here.
beerchug.gif

PS: If nothing else, the 911 is a potential parts donor for the 914 so logically, there's plenty of 914 content right here in this thread

arne
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2020, 11:09 AM) *
If nothing else, the 911 is a potential parts donor for the 914 so logically, there's plenty of 914 content right here in this thread

True, although it was a lot closer to being a donor when I bought it than it is now.

No worries on my part. I have build threads with more frequent updates on both Early Esses (detailed) and the PCA Early 911 Register (simpler). Just milestones here, every 2-3 months until it's mostly done, I figure.

Parts scattered all over the house, awaiting the car's return.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 11 2020, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2020, 11:09 AM) *
If nothing else, the 911 is a potential parts donor for the 914 so logically, there's plenty of 914 content right here in this thread

True, although it was a lot closer to being a donor when I bought it than it is now.

No worries on my part. I have build threads with more frequent updates on both Early Esses (detailed) and the PCA Early 911 Register (simpler). Just milestones here, every 2-3 months until it's mostly done, I figure.

Parts scattered all over the house, awaiting the car's return.

Click to view attachment

Love the Silver, wife had this color on her new purchase (1978) BMW 320i,
sunroof & we upgraded to 5 speed driving-girl.gif
BTW we mfg mandrel headers for 4 of your project-list cars ...take your -10% 914World discount too ¡
porschetub
QUOTE(arne @ Jan 11 2020, 05:40 PM) *

agree.gif what a BS comment mad.gif ,your build is of interest to many including myself,we are car guys on here afterall ,a 911 is hardly that OT,many members on here have 911's.
Keep it up ,really nice car smilie_pokal.gif .
jim_hoyland
Keep up the posts; love watching others progress... smile.gif
TravisNeff
Looking good Arne, thanks for sharing!
rgalla9146
I had a silver '72 E
Never should have sold it.
Nice work. Keep posting.
rick 918-S
Did this 72 Targa some years back.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.