Freezin 914
This makes me happy! Enjoy!
jerhofer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuV0Gy11co
stevesc_us
QUOTE(jerhofer @ May 25 2022, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 23 2022, 05:31 PM) *

Sounds great! Love the sound of carbs.

It may look like carbs, but those are PMO throttle bodies with electronic fuel injection. The goal was to have it look like carbs when one looked into the engine bay.

I like the way you think! That's precisely why I chose the PMO ITB's when I did my EFI conversion on my early long hood as well.
autopro
Car looks and sounds great in the video, love the car wub.gif
IronHillRestorations
Hey that's a pretty nice 914! It would look awesome with a tan interior smile.gif
jerhofer
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 31 2022, 04:11 PM) *

Hey that's a pretty nice 914! It would look awesome with a tan interior smile.gif

Your restoration twenty years ago is the main reason it is as nice as it is. The paint still looks great after all of these years. And you did a very good job of preventing it from rusting. The reinforcements you installed have resulted in a pretty stiff 914. I was under the car earlier today and it still looks great.

There is a company in Cornelius, NC called Sonderwerks who, among other things, does a fantastic job with Porsche interiors. Matt will be taking the car to him soon to see what can be done. Dave does really good work. He has branched out into bodywork as well. The guy who runs his body shop is the same guy who painted Matt's 911 Tesla. Adam has painted cars to show at Amelia so he is very good. If the 914 ever needs some paintwork, Matt knows where to take it.

Matt is in full sorting mode, which is exactly what he enjoys doing. He would rather do that than actually drive the car. I told him yesterday when he was at the house, that, in some ways, I am surprised it ever ran. Converting the car to fuel injection was on the very edge of my capabilities. If I had read all of the instructions ahead of time, I wonder if I would have gone ahead. Drilling into the block and the end of a cam to install sensors was very scary, for me. Plus I had to make all of the wiring harness from scratch. So it is a minor miracle it actually runs.
jerhofer
Matt installed a Rennshift shifter and really likes it. He particularly likes the reverse lockout as that is a worry, especially if someone else drives the car. He has been tuning on the engine some more and is very happy with its performance.

I had some custom heat shields made for the exhaust about three years ago. Matt installed those and can tell a difference in the amount of heat going into the trunk. A byproduct is that they quieted the exhaust a bit as well. My reason for getting the heat shields was to protect the CPU, which is mounted in the trunk.
Root_Werks
Dang that looks nice! drooley.gif

Such a cool story behind this 914 as well.
jerhofer
Matt had not been able to get the tach to work. He suspects that the CPU tach amplifier is not working. He called Richard Clewett about it and discovered that Electromotive is trying to sell their business and is not doing any service work on their equipment. So, getting the CPU fixed was not an option.

After doing some research, he ordered a Dakota Digital signal interface. He tapped into one of the coil wires that had a five volt output. Now the tach works perfectly.

We changed the oil today and then took a short ride. It is running great. Matt has a sport exhaust on order which will be the next project.

Click to view attachment
Dion
Looks beautiful, runs beautiful. Enjoy !
jerhofer
Like any old car, it is a work in progress. It has been very hot here and he has been driving the car to work. The oil temps were running around 220. He felt the line to the cooler and it was not warm. So he replaced the thermostat and now the temp stays are a steady 180.
jerhofer
Matt was feeling some play in the rear suspension and discovered that the bushings were shot. He has installed the Elephant poly bronze bushings.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

He didn't like having it still say 914 2.0 on the rear. So he had four of these GT tags cut from stainless steel and then polished one of them.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very nicely done. beerchug.gif
jerhofer
Matt installed the sport muffler this evening. Sounds great at full throttle but a little boomy at moderate throttle.

He said the rear end feels much more planted now that he has replaced the bushings.

jerhofer
Just got word that Ed Scott passed away this morning. Sad day.

For those of you who don't know who Ed Scott is, reading the first post in this thread will tell you.
jerhofer
Matt had the interior done over at Sonderwerks in Cornelius, NC. They also changed the wheel centers to silver.

mepstein
Beautiful
Cairo94507
I agree with Mark; a truly beautiful car and the interior takes it to the next level. beerchug.gif
BillJ
Saw your car the other day. It is super nice!
jerhofer
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 3 2023, 07:05 PM) *

Saw your car the other day. It is super nice!

Thanks.
jerhofer

A little shout out to Perry. My son is storing the 914 in my garage for a bit while he works on his other cars. While he was here, he told me that the people who did the interior told him that was the finest job of fitting flares that they had ever seen! And all they do is work on Porsche's.
Cairo94507
That is quite the compliment and acknowledgment of true craftsmanship. beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jerhofer @ Mar 7 2023, 06:10 PM) *

@jerhofer

A little shout out to Perry. My son is storing the 914 in my garage for a bit while he works on his other cars. While he was here, he told me that the people who did the interior told him that was the finest job of fitting flares that they had ever seen! And all they do is work on Porsche's.

i saw pictures from Sonderwerks of your car and interior. was your car at Sonderwerks last year? i had my hood up there for a repaint due to taking a tailpipe into the front hood, and i think your car was there when i came up to pick it up. I live down in Bluffton Sc but my son lives in Charlotte so we come up fairly often. I just read thru the whole thread today, hope to see that car in person sometime!
Phil.
beautiful car and awesome interior!!
porschetub
QUOTE(jerhofer @ Mar 8 2023, 12:10 PM) *

Stunning car after all you went thru ,well done smash.gif smash.gif .
jerhofer
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 8 2023, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(jerhofer @ Mar 7 2023, 06:10 PM) *

@jerhofer

i saw pictures from Sonderwerks of your car and interior. was your car at Sonderwerks last year? i had my hood up there for a repaint due to taking a tailpipe into the front hood, and i think your car was there when i came up to pick it up. I live down in Bluffton Sc but my son lives in Charlotte so we come up fairly often. I just read thru the whole thread today, hope to see that car in person sometime!
Phil.
beautiful car and awesome interior!!

This car was at Sonderwerks last fall. My son now owns it and has been upgrading it.
jerhofer
I realized I never had a chance to take photos of the bottom of the car since the engine was installed. I bought a set of heat shields for the exhaust system. Matt installed them. I was trying to keep some heat out of the trunk since we had the computer installed there.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.