Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Costa05
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Oct 17 2022, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Oct 17 2022, 05:07 PM) *

Looks very good Mike... Your body cutout looks very similar to mine. Ive yet to attack the bumper, but your approach seems spot-on..

Thanks Kevin! I got to see Rich's 914 in person last Friday - was nice & helpful to look at things in person and talk through how he accomplished things on his car. Re-stoked some motivation for me to keep moving forward! aktion035.gif

Glad to help stoke the motivation! Let me know if you need to see it again. I am roughly 30 min from you. Gives me some test drivetime while I work through my worn out suspension issues. BTW your car looks great.
Rich
slowrodent
(taking copious bumper cutout notes...) Natural for us Arizona peops to have a wee drop in motivation over the summer.... Your work looks great.
mgp4591
Here's this afternoon's diversion... idea.gif
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

That's a nice touch on the gas cap...is it a kit or your design?
mgarrison
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 18 2022, 10:36 AM) *

Here's this afternoon's diversion... idea.gif

That's a nice touch on the gas cap...is it a kit or your design?

I just looked at the pics of this kit and made my own.

https://www.thoro-tec.de/en/p/fuel-cap-porsche-914

Can't see spending $400 for it screwy.gif

I have a couple ideas on the trim ring, but believe it may not be "needed" idea.gif
mgarrison
Did some more work on the front bumper opening this afternoon. Cleaned up the edge with the angle grinder and did a test fit to double check the opening I had drawn out.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I cut out the inlet to match the opening on the bumper. sawzall-smiley.gif
Click to view attachment

May not really be needed, but more air flow in PHX is always a good idea! I hit the edges with some leftover back spray paint, and mounted it up again.

Looks like it will work well enough...
slowrodent
Love the enlarged opening..... idea.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(slowrodent @ Oct 19 2022, 07:00 AM) *

Love the enlarged opening..... idea.gif

Kevin, mine's a '74 so it has the curved brace on the inside of the frunk. I cut just below where the brace is spot welded to the front of the chassis. I can't recall what year your 914 is, so whether you have that bracing or not kind of dictates where you can cut...

Mike
Mowog4
Your car looks spectacular, very cool to have another Subie powered 914 in the area. Rich swung by my house on Friday after he left yours, his was looking great also. Let me know if you need anything.
Ed
mgarrison
Still a bit of work needed, but I'm making progress...I think! smash.gif
Click to view attachment
Mowog4
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Oct 21 2022, 06:15 PM) *

Still a bit of work needed, but I'm making progress...I think! smash.gif
Click to view attachment

Looks great
Costa05
Let me know if you need some pics of the radiator support frame.
Ed @mowag4 is a huge local resource too. Big HP Subie builds.

Rich
mgarrison
Getting there...
Click to view attachment

Far from perfect, but good enough...at least for now!
Click to view attachment

Inlet/opening came out ok.
Click to view attachment

Thinking I may eventually spray the bumpers with the Raptor liner to match the rockers. Would also hide more of my imperfect repairs! idea.gif
Mayne
Looking great! I’m on a forced hiatus my EZ30R swap because of work. But this Spring, I got big plans, big plans!
slowrodent
looks really good Mike... Cutout is very nicely done and I like the filled in bumper holes too... (PS Mine's a 74 as well)
mgarrison
Got it sprayed with rattle can satin black. Decent, but needs more work with some high-build and the sanding block to better hide the imperfections.
Click to view attachment

Now on to the rear bumper smash.gif But it will have to wait; most of my weekend has been spent with this guy up at WestWorld playing photographer, groom, water boy, etc. but he's so worth it!
Click to view attachment

This is her last show with Sudden Impact AKA Clint. Makes us all more than a little sad.gif
mgarrison
I got the rear bumper cleaned up, painted, and mounted. It was a lot rougher than the front.
Click to view attachment

I still need to figure out how to fill in that missing chunk in the bumper top confused24.gif
mgarrison
Then I moved on to cutting out and patching the vent/grille on the cowl. I kept trying to figure out how I would handle water getting in the vent and decided the "easiest" thing to do was just remove it. welder.gif
Click to view attachment

Backing the welds with copper really helps, but clamping/holding the copper in place is quite the challenge! headbang.gif

Quite the tedious process, but came out ok.
Click to view attachment

Tomorrow I'll see how level I got the filler when I start sanding idea.gif
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Got it all flat, then filled with glazing putty, then finally all sanded out with 120, then 180, then 320... smash.gif
Click to view attachment

Just waiting for primer to show up confused24.gif
slowrodent
Looking good Mike... Top notch work as usual. I forget what you'd described as your long-term plans for heating/cooling. I know you've finished the block-off plates, etc.

Kevin
mgarrison
QUOTE(slowrodent @ Nov 11 2022, 11:09 AM) *

Looking good Mike... Top notch work as usual. I forget what you'd described as your long-term plans for heating/cooling. I know you've finished the block-off plates, etc.

Kevin

Kevin, my plan is to just have heated seats. We'll see if that plan fly's...or if it fly's like the Spruce Goose! idea.gif
mgarrison
I've been working on my radiator mount/frame. But I had to replace my phone and the pics I took are in the new iPhone format and basically unusable. And, I got the whole thing welded together only to discover it was about 1/8" too tall/high. Had to cut off the bottom mounts, move them down, then re-do the upper braces (why there's 4 Rivnuts instead of 2 on each upper brace. headbang.gif

So, I gave up and deleted what I'd taken, but took some new ones this afternoon while testing to see with my rather sophisticated CAD system if I can mount the aluminum shrouding before installing the radiator mount...State of the art CAD system! Even my scissors suck...
Click to view attachment

Survey says...Nope! Can't mount the lower sides before it's installed in the car.
Click to view attachment

Once it's in the car I believe things will fit ok.
Click to view attachment

Need an extra 1/2" or so on the back of the bottom shroud to close up this gap though!
Click to view attachment

Arguing with myself screwy.gif over how to shroud the portion above the curved bracing. Not sure if I should go angled like this, and then a cosmetic cover over the top, or...
Click to view attachment
slowrodent
Looks great Mike... Your CAD system is primo and a notch better than my own rolleyes.gif .. My only regret (thus far) with my rad mount is that I didn't leave sufficient room for rubber isolaters. I squeezed in some lame thin pads, but I wish I'd have planned for a real buffer of some sorts.... Just FYI...
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Dec 16 2022, 09:40 PM) *

I've been working on my radiator mount/frame. But I had to replace my phone and the pics I took are in the new iPhone format and basically unusable. And, I got the whole thing welded together only to discover it was about 1/8" too tall/high. Had to cut off the bottom mounts, move them down, then re-do the upper braces (why there's 4 Rivnuts instead of 2 on each upper brace. headbang.gif

So, I gave up and deleted what I'd taken, but took some new ones this afternoon while testing to see with my rather sophisticated CAD system if I can mount the aluminum shrouding before installing the radiator mount...State of the art CAD system! Even my scissors suck...
Click to view attachment

Survey says...Nope! Can't mount the lower sides before it's installed in the car.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Need an extra 1/2" or so on the back of the bottom shroud to close up this gap though!
Click to view attachment

Arguing with myself screwy.gif over how to shroud the portion above the curved bracing. Not sure if I should go angled like this, and then a cosmetic cover over the top, or...
Click to view attachment

Looks really good! I’m following build closely since I’m planning to do something very similar.

Couple of questions…. 1. When you ran the coolant hoses in the longs, did you run them right inside of the existing insulated ducts?
2. Is the part number of the radiator “MMRAD-CEL-00”?
3. What radiator fans are you using?

Thanks, Aaron

Chris914n6
“MMRAD-CEL-00”

Would make sense. MishiMoto Radiator Celica 2000-2004.

There are cheaper copies of the 'racing' radiator for the Celica/MR-S than Mishimoto. Using the Celica radiator is well documented here. I used the factory Celica fans as the generic Chinese fans are questionable. I also used the MR-S version of this radiator as the hose inlets are in a better place.
mgarrison
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Dec 17 2022, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Dec 16 2022, 09:40 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks really good! I’m following build closely since I’m planning to do something very similar.

Couple of questions…. 1. When you ran the coolant hoses in the longs, did you run them right inside of the existing insulated ducts?
2. Is the part number of the radiator “MMRAD-CEL-00”?
3. What radiator fans are you using?

Thanks, Aaron

No ducts in my longs. Completely open/empty longs. Couple pics here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2800284

It's a 2000-2005 Toyota Celica radiator. Mishimoto makes nice things. Didn't want to buy a Chinese knock off radiator, so I waited till they had it on sale around black Friday for about $215.

I have not purchased fans or shroud yet. Debating what fans to go with, etc.
mgarrison
Waiting on some aluminum sheet to get here for the shroud/ducting for the radiator. Meanwhile, my toolbox and stuff kept getting wet when it rained despite my temporary cover. With more rain due soon I decided to build a more permanent cover to try and keep things dry & protected.

Click to view attachment
Simple and hopefully effective... popcorn[1].gif

This should keep things dry.
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
One sheet of aluminum showed up, so I tried to do what I could with it! Still waiting on the second sheet to make it here... confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

I had a gift card for HF so I picked up this cheap "metal bender". As usual for HF, required a bit of modification to work half decent... smash.gif

I lost a bit of width, but the top piece cant move around anymore! I thought about drilling a couple more sets of holes across it at maybe 8" & 12", but I think just getting a couple more larger C clamps would be quicker/easier idea.gif

I can't mount the lower sides until the radiator frame is bolted in, so I'm back to waiting on the rest of my aluminum to show up! headbang.gif
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
While I was waiting on more aluminum I decided to redo my workbench top. The old top had gotten wet an swelled up and was coming apart. While I was at it, I figured I'd try a "proof of concept" for the concrete countertop videos I've seen. idea.gif

My first attempt did not go well, and cracked. So I decided to pour half at a time - made it much easier to move into place as well. I welded in some extra support across the middle, and a couple 45s to keep things square. This Snap-On light my son got me for Christmas is the cat's pajamas!
Click to view attachment

Here's a slab in the form
Click to view attachment

Getting them into place was interesting, but not terrible.
Click to view attachment

Came out pretty good.
Click to view attachment

After hearing my aluminum was backordered until late February, I found an alternative source and got back to work.

Things are starting to come together a bit.

More of that cutting edge CAD work...
Click to view attachment

This piece was about 2-3" too long for my little bender, so had to employ some serious "Southern Engineering", but it came out ok.
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Some more terribly sophisticated CAD...

Click to view attachment

Just need to dream up a way to fold & rivet these pieces together in aluminum. Taking a long look at what Andy did for his oil cooler. But don't think I'll be able to fit a toolbox behind mine idea.gif

This is what my life has come to; "Paper Dolls" for old guys with classic cars! lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment

I was struggling so with keeping track of which fitting was male vs female, and if any one company had all the fittings I needed in one place...nope! Still need to confirm a couple of bends/angles are going to be workable. I was able to confirm with Mishimoto the Celica radiator can flow either direction, so no need to cross my coolant lines at the front/rear to make sure it flows driver to passenger side... wacko.gif
tygaboy
OMG... hose end fitting planning is blink.gif blink.gif
Your radiator shrouding looks great! aktion035.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 14 2023, 10:35 AM) *

OMG... hose end fitting planning is blink.gif blink.gif
Your radiator shrouding looks great! aktion035.gif

Thanks Chris! pray.gif

Just trying to balance my OCD against limited skillset/tools...I can picture how I want it in my head, but making come out that way is hissyfit.gif
mgarrison
Look Ma, I made SOMETHING! screwy.gif
Click to view attachment

I put the hoses in the headlight buckets and then started chuckling because it reminded me of flux capacitor plumbing in Doc's DeLorean! lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment

Got my "creation" to mostly fit, and clamped into place.
Click to view attachment

Used rivnuts to mount it up for easy removal.
Click to view attachment

I measured 6-8 times, and still needed a stiff drink before I drilled those holes! Started with a 1/8" bit just in case I needed to fill it. icon8.gif
Click to view attachment

Got it in the correct spot, and it came out ok! beerchug.gif

Looks like I'll need to revisit it in the future to extend the overall height for aesthetics, but looks like it will get the hot air out well enough for now!
Click to view attachment

AND I learned the Boys Ranch right across the road has a plasma cutter nobody ever uses. Barn connections...you just never know what you'll learn/find! idea.gif
slowrodent
Beautiful Mike..... It's really taking shape very nicely.. As I've said before, your detail work is great and will certainly pay off in a high-quality end product.
mgarrison
QUOTE(slowrodent @ Feb 21 2023, 04:56 PM) *

Beautiful Mike..... It's really taking shape very nicely.. As I've said before, your detail work is great and will certainly pay off in a high-quality end product.

Thanks Kevin! Feeling my way like a blind guy in a room full of rakes with their tines up! unsure.gif

Fingers crossed that the passenger side outlet on the radiator has enough clearance for the AN adapter and fitting icon8.gif That one's gonna be snug. If it won't clear, I'll be reworking the radiator fit/placement for a third time. Seems like every step takes 4x as long as expected, and costs 2x as much as expected. Quite the journey...I keep joking that our son may have to finish the car after I'm dead and gone! wacko.gif
tygaboy
Built, not bought.

...for the win, everytime! aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 22 2023, 08:28 AM) *

Built, not bought.

Thanks Chris! I keep reminding myself I want to do as much of this build myself as I can manage. May not look as perfect, or might take multiple iterations, but I figured it out, and I did it! smash.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 22 2023, 09:28 AM) *

Built, not bought.

agree.gif

Every time someone with a new 911 GT3 makes disparaging comments about my Six conversion, I just look at him and say "Anyone can write a check and buy a car. But not everyone can engineer and build one."

And then I blow his doors off..........

76-914
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 21 2023, 03:33 PM) *

Look Ma, I made SOMETHING! screwy.gif
Click to view attachment

I put the hoses in the headlight buckets and then started chuckling because it reminded me of flux capacitor plumbing in Doc's DeLorean! lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment

Got my "creation" to mostly fit, and clamped into place.
Click to view attachment

Used rivnuts to mount it up for easy removal.
Click to view attachment

I measured 6-8 times, and still needed a stiff drink before I drilled those holes! Started with a 1/8" bit just in case I needed to fill it. icon8.gif
Click to view attachment

Got it in the correct spot, and it came out ok! beerchug.gif

Looks like I'll need to revisit it in the future to extend the overall height for aesthetics, but looks like it will get the hot air out well enough for now!
Click to view attachment

AND I learned the Boys Ranch right across the road has a plasma cutter nobody ever uses. Barn connections...you just never know what you'll learn/find! idea.gif

Use this to seal your baffle to the hood. All non-radial piston powered planes use it to seal the baffles to the cowling. Question: is the concrete slab reinforced or plasticized? You're making good progress. Stay after it. beerchug.gif
Costa05
Coming along real well Mike!
mgarrison
[/quote]
Use this to seal your baffle to the hood. All non-radial piston powered planes use it to seal the baffles to the cowling. Question: is the concrete slab reinforced or plasticized? You're making good progress. Stay after it. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

Did I miss your link? Maybe it didn't paste...

Assuming your referring to the concrete "countertop/workbench"; It's actually quickset mortar with no rocks in it since I only could do a 1" thickness. I put metal lath in the middle to reinforce it. It's basically a POC to see if I could pull off doing our bathroom counters. I did add flow control to make it flow a bit better, and tried to use the least amount of water I could get away with (meets DOT requirements, whatever that means!). I cast the bolt holes for the vise in it using dowels. So far so good. I've hammered out some aluminum on the vise, and I've been clamping and bending the aluminum duct on it too. I kind of expected some cracks by now... popcorn[1].gif

Here's where I got the idea:
https://youtu.be/T7mYB6x68DY
mgarrison
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Feb 22 2023, 12:25 PM) *

Thanks Rich! I need to pick your brain on how you calculated the capacity of your overflow/expansion tank. And, your fuel pump choice...what I've read so far says to size the pump based on HP. Not sure if that's how you went about it, or if you found Subaru specific requirements idea.gif
76-914
Crap! headbang.gif I did forget to post the link. I was doing this on my phone while sitting in the ER. Here you go. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/searc...s=baffle%20seal
Costa05
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 22 2023, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Costa05 @ Feb 22 2023, 12:25 PM) *

Thanks Rich! I need to pick your brain on how you calculated the capacity of your overflow/expansion tank. And, your fuel pump choice...what I've read so far says to size the pump based on HP. Not sure if that's how you went about it, or if you found Subaru specific requirements idea.gif

I chose a basic high pressure Walbro fuel pump. Covers my less than 200 hp needs just fine.
As for coolant expansion, there is a formula for calculating total expansion based upon total volume of coolant and temp. Add in the engine, radiator and hoses into the volume avail. Final size of expansion tank required was minimal so I ran a 1.25 quart Moroso aluminum one. It does overflow into a catch tank at temp which works as it should. No issues yet even on 100 degree days. Good fans and duct work helps a lot. I rarely get above 200 degrees on my temps. I think all systems react differently though.
mgarrison
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 22 2023, 05:12 PM) *

Crap! headbang.gif I did forget to post the link. I was doing this on my phone while sitting in the ER. Here you go. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/searc...s=baffle%20seal

Ruh-Roh...I hope all is ok on your end!

And THANKS! Replying to 914World while in the ER is above & beyond smilie_pokal.gif
mgarrison
My AN adapters and fittings finally arrived. I installed the adapters on my radiator, and did a quick test fit of the elbow on the passenger side (lower outlet)...
Click to view attachment

Then into the car to see if it's all going to clear. At first I had about a finger's width below the elbow, but it turns out the radiator was not seated all the way!
Click to view attachment

headbang.gif

On to revision #3 I guess wacko.gif
tygaboy
Only three revisions? You're far more effecient than I am! laugh.gif
Seriously though, it sucks when those sorts of surprises happen. Just try and remember, a few weeks from now you'll have it solved and it'll just be another story about your build that you can share at Cars & Coffee when people are drooling over your car!
FAB on!

sawzall-smiley.gif aktion035.gif smash.gif welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
It happens.I'll bet Phil @Superhawk996 has a few stories of engineering mishaps at one of the Big 3. BTW> VW Golf expansion tanks are dirt cheap and will fit your application. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 6 2023, 06:26 PM) *

It happens.I'll bet Phil @Superhawk996 has a few stories of engineering mishaps at one of the Big 3. BTW> VW Golf expansion tanks are dirt cheap and will fit your application. beerchug.gif

It happens a lot less than it did when I first started. Digital mock up (CAD) came a long way during my career. It still happens occasionally during pre production prototype builds when parts are being heavily iterated and things are hand assembled. By the time you get to mass production an interference like that would be costing millions per day while the line is shut down. Don’t want to be that guy.

I haven’t looked at this thread in a while - wow! Lots of awesome progress. You’ll come up with a rework like Chris said. The car will be awesome and the story will be memorable!
mgarrison
Thanks guys! Appreciate the encouragement pray.gif

I figure its another shot at enhancing aesthetic/style points...think I've heard that around here somewhere idea.gif
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 6 2023, 10:14 PM) *

Thanks guys! Appreciate the encouragement pray.gif

I figure its another shot at enhancing aesthetic/style points...think I've heard that around here somewhere idea.gif

I'm always excited to see updates on this thread. Nice work @mgarrison !

I purchased that same radiator for my build and was also planning on using the water-neck adaptor with AN fittings and hose. What size AN hose are you using?

A couple of thoughts on your interference situation... The water-neck adapter sure does look cool, but maybe it adds too much length here. Could you use a short section of rubber hose as the transition between the radiator and your AN hose?

What about finding someone to TIG weld a short section of aluminum elbow to the radiator outlet?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.