Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
mgarrison
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Mar 7 2023, 04:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 6 2023, 10:14 PM) *

Thanks guys! Appreciate the encouragement pray.gif

I figure its another shot at enhancing aesthetic/style points...think I've heard that around here somewhere idea.gif

I'm always excited to see updates on this thread. Nice work @mgarrison !

I purchased that same radiator for my build and was also planning on using the water-neck adaptor with AN fittings and hose. What size AN hose are you using?

A couple of thoughts on your interference situation... The water-neck adapter sure does look cool, but maybe it adds too much length here. Could you use a short section of rubber hose as the transition between the radiator and your AN hose?

What about finding someone to TIG weld a short section of aluminum elbow to the radiator outlet?

Just unprofessional observations from my situation, so YMMV...

I'm sure you could have aluminum AN bungs welded into the radiator inlets. But, I wasn't sure where to get that done/who I'd trust to do it right on a brand new Mishimoto radiator. If I had it to do over, I'd see if Mishimoto would do it for me.

Looking at how low that inlet sits in relation to the bottom of the radiator, and how low you need to mount the radiator to clear the hood support structure (nearly impossible to see/figure out until I cut my hood vent), I don't think a hose would work unless it was molded as an elbow, and even then it would be snug, or you might need to shorten the end attaching to the inlet.

If the inlets were horizontal it would be much simpler...When I spoke to the Mishimoto guys about flow direction in their Celica radiator, they did mention you could run it upside down. Drain plug would be on top, and overflow connection on bottom, but it is possible. That would put the "lower" inlet near the hood and angled towards the hood though.

I was not super happy with how my radiator mount came out. It worked and wasn't really seen, but sure could be better. I'm getting my chance to improve it I guess! sawzall-smiley.gif

I ran -16 braided hose through my longs. The -20 did not really fit, and seemed to collapse much easier than the -16. Not sure on the hose specs as it came with the engine/trans I bought from another member of 914World. If your using -20 I have 4 -20 bulkhead fittings you can have if you want/need them - just cover shipping and there yours...
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 7 2023, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Mar 7 2023, 04:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 6 2023, 10:14 PM) *

Thanks guys! Appreciate the encouragement pray.gif

I figure its another shot at enhancing aesthetic/style points...think I've heard that around here somewhere idea.gif

I'm always excited to see updates on this thread. Nice work @mgarrison !

I purchased that same radiator for my build and was also planning on using the water-neck adaptor with AN fittings and hose. What size AN hose are you using?

A couple of thoughts on your interference situation... The water-neck adapter sure does look cool, but maybe it adds too much length here. Could you use a short section of rubber hose as the transition between the radiator and your AN hose?

What about finding someone to TIG weld a short section of aluminum elbow to the radiator outlet?

Just unprofessional observations from my situation, so YMMV...

I'm sure you could have aluminum AN bungs welded into the radiator inlets. But, I wasn't sure where to get that done/who I'd trust to do it right on a brand new Mishimoto radiator. If I had it to do over, I'd see if Mishimoto would do it for me.

Looking at how low that inlet sits in relation to the bottom of the radiator, and how low you need to mount the radiator to clear the hood support structure (nearly impossible to see/figure out until I cut my hood vent), I don't think a hose would work unless it was molded as an elbow, and even then it would be snug, or you might need to shorten the end attaching to the inlet.

If the inlets were horizontal it would be much simpler...When I spoke to the Mishimoto guys about flow direction in their Celica radiator, they did mention you could run it upside down. Drain plug would be on top, and overflow connection on bottom, but it is possible. That would put the "lower" inlet near the hood and angled towards the hood though.

I was not super happy with how my radiator mount came out. It worked and wasn't really seen, but sure could be better. I'm getting my chance to improve it I guess! sawzall-smiley.gif

I ran -16 braided hose through my longs. The -20 did not really fit, and seemed to collapse much easier than the -16. Not sure on the hose specs as it came with the engine/trans I bought from another member of 914World. If your using -20 I have 4 -20 bulkhead fittings you can have if you want/need them - just cover shipping and there yours...

I just learned a hip new acronym! (YMMV) I'm one step closer to hanging with the cool kids! shades.gif Thanks!

I'm also using the -16 hose, but thank you for the offer of your fittings! That would be a helluva deal! Those things are not cheap!
mgarrison
I deconstructed my old radiator mount and ducting, saving all the parts that I could reuse - mostly the ducting/shrouding and the lower mounts. I got out the micrometer and discovered this square tubing I'm trying to recycle/upcycle is only .5mm thick! wacko.gif No wonder it's such a challenge to weld. Most of the welds are coming out ok, but some sections seem to be more of an issue. This is with my welder dialed as low as she'll go, and just a beat & a half hit of the juice...
Click to view attachment

I was able to recover my lower mounts to reuse. Thankfully!
Click to view attachment

I must have measured 6-7 times and installed/removed the rubber grommets for the mounts too many times to count, but they lined up better than I got them to last time!
Click to view attachment

I was so focused on getting the lower mounts to line up as best I could, I totally forgot to pay attention to my overall width, and that little issue of the headlight buckets intruding in the upper half of the space, but not the lower half...Made the frame too wide to fit between the headlight buckets! headbang.gif On to Revision 3.1

Minor remodel complete, I paid much better attention to test fit each step of the way. Looks like it's gonna work out ok.
Click to view attachment

Got the top mounts figured out after a couple of tries - odd angles always hurt my brain blink.gif
Click to view attachment

Now to work out the lower attachment points popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
Not the best pic of it but I just added side walls to that angled support area. It has a floor that extends back far enough that I can get a fastener in there that bolts that area to the chassis. I can get you more specific pics, if that would help.
mgarrison
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 9 2023, 07:51 AM) *

Not the best pic of it but I just added side walls to that angled support area. It has a floor that extends back far enough that I can get a fastener in there that bolts that area to the chassis. I can get you more specific pics, if that would help.

Thanks Chris - I think I have a concept that will work. Funny thing - I'd already saved that pic from your build to help guide me building the frame and ducting! pray.gif
mgarrison
We interrupt your regularly scheduled update for this distraction...

The 914 took her first "trip". Our neighbors offered me their garage for a week while they are out of town. My wife sang "Flintstone's, meet the Flintstone's" as we rolled across the street! Their garage makes the 914 look like it's in the belly of a giant whale! blink.gif
Click to view attachment

We moved the 914 so I can pour a concrete pad under where it has been parked. Figure I'll use it for the 914, Miata, or trailer often.
Click to view attachment

It was twice the cost to have a small concrete truck deliver mix on site, so I split it in half and made two trips with our trailer to get the 37 80lb bags of concrete screwy.gif
Click to view attachment

Got it all formed up and ready to go...
Click to view attachment

Of course scheduling really bit me in the hiney; everyone was at work/school on the day I needed to mix & pour the first section. Solo Miho, again...
Click to view attachment

I mixed two bags at a time...
Click to view attachment

Oddly enough, two 80lb bags equals my body weight. So, I carried myself 9X wacko.gif
Click to view attachment

Got it all finished off in time to pick up our daughter from school, and then off to Lowe's to get bags for round #2 on Sunday. Can't wait! icon8.gif
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Round two is in the books. Thankfully our son helped me so the mixing was much easier.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Now just have to wait 5 days for the concrete to cure. Neighbors get back Wednesday, so we need to figure out where to stash the 914 for a couple of days confused24.gif
mgarrison
Kicked the wife out of the "Jeep garage" for a couple of days until the concrete is fully cured. Worked on the lower mounts yesterday afternoon for a bit - killed my back. That frunk floor is a long way down! wacko.gif

This morning I broke out the Quick Jack so that things are easier on my tired, old back!
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Concrete is all cured and ready for the 914!
Click to view attachment

I got to spend a few hours this afternoon and made some progress. Lower ducting is in place. I just need to get more rivets - only had 3 left from the last revision.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I have the upper sides cut out. Just working on fine tuning them and then I'll need the rivets to attach them. I'm trying to reuse as much as possible from the last revision - that's why the bottom is two pieces riveted together. smash.gif
mgarrison
I had to redo my upper mounts. I had a bracket that was for...something! Worked out to be about the perfect size and shape. Just had to cut out the center section and drill the mount holes.
Click to view attachment

I tried 3-4 times to figure out how to make a cover like this work, and get it mounted, but it just never worked out - always some little issue biting my on the butt!
Click to view attachment

Ended up with a design that covers less, but it directs the air where it needs to go wacko.gif
Click to view attachment

Cosmetic cover will have to come later...maybe. She's back in her spot, but at least the plywood is gone!
Click to view attachment
Mayne
Looking good, and that’s a proud little spot for the teener!
mgarrison
I managed to get the hose ends on the front lines about 95% of the way on - waiting on another -16 wrench to finish tightening them down. Typically you use a vise with aluminum jaw pads to install the hose ends, but I don't have that option with the hoses running through the chassis. I guess I could have pulled the hoses out, then installed ends on one end. Run the hoses back through the chassis, and then installed the other ends. Seemed like too much work for not much return! confused24.gif

I decided to cross the lines at the front so that the return (passenger side) goes to the "upper" (really middle inlet on the Celica radiator), and the feed (drivers side) goes to the lower inlet/outlet. Mishimoto said flow direction did not matter, and the radiator would flow fine either direction but...
Click to view attachment

I got the thermostat housing adapter installed. In case anyone's interested in the AutoPlumb adapters (instead of having a bung welded in), here's the basic process:

Put the grip tape around the threaded collar and slip the collar and split ring over inlet.
Click to view attachment

Coat the rubber bushing with black RTV and slip over the inlet with the chamfer to the outside.
Click to view attachment

Thread the collar on by hand as tight as you can get it making sure it stays square to the end of the inlet. Tighten the rest of the way using the strap wrench and AN wrench.
Click to view attachment

Clean the outside up with lacquer thinner.
Click to view attachment

Works pretty well, IMHO... Subaru puts the thermostat housing in the craziest place; bottom of the motor, on the driver's side! wacko.gif
Click to view attachment

Now I'm waiting on another 45 degree hose end - I used the one that was for the thermostat housing on the radiator due to the change in the radiator mounting angle needed to make everything fit headbang.gif

Using my time to try and work out the exit ducting...again! Trying to reuse what I can, but going to need more aluminum sheet, of course! popcorn[1].gif
Click to view attachment
slowrodent
Keep up the great work Mike.. As always, looking very good! beer.gif
76-914
Do they not use rebar for reinforcement in your neck of the woods? The finish looks good. Did you slope it to keep the rainwater away from the siding? That thermostat location will work out very well and lines up nicely with the nipple coming off the long. Mixing that concrete by hand will give you a good work out!. beerchug.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 26 2023, 07:42 AM) *

Do they not use rebar for reinforcement in your neck of the woods? The finish looks good. Did you slope it to keep the rainwater away from the siding? That thermostat location will work out very well and lines up nicely with the nipple coming off the long. Mixing that concrete by hand will give you a good work out!. beerchug.gif

No...They dont even use rebar on driveways out here! Probably because they used to make adobe bricks out of the dang dirt! I tried to match the slope of the existing pad that was added off the garage years ago - it slopes away from the house so should be ok. I wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be... aktion035.gif
mgarrison
Made a bit more progress this weekend. Starting to question my life's choices trying to put the AN fittings on the braided hose. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if it's just the fact that they are -16 and a crazy challenge! headbang.gif

Anyhow, I have the exit ducting about 95% squared away. I think it would function fine, just an odd gap towards the front of the opening...

Started with the CAD again.
Click to view attachment

I was able to reuse the main piece, but not the sides.
Click to view attachment

With the angle change on the radiator mount the top of the radiator is farther forward of the opening. Needed to add a covered section, but that added some structure for the sides.
Click to view attachment

Everything clears good, and there's a bit of room under there for toolbox, or maybe even the battery... idea.gif

Made sure it was fairly simple to remove.
Click to view attachment

Here's the hose and fittings for the returns coming off the top of the heads. Not as much space as I thought I'd have, but I think I can make it work.
Click to view attachment

Now just waiting on the 45 degree end for the thermostat housing...Debating on doing fuel tank and lines next, or wiring harness confused24.gif
mgarrison
I wasn't happy with the gap that showed above my exit duct when looking forward in the car, so I started trying to come up with a solution. That section of the hood also does not have any bracing underneath it, so if it could provide support that would be a bonus.

Here's the gap.
Click to view attachment

Here's a first try at covering the gap and providing some support for that section of the hood opening.
Click to view attachment

I'm thinking riveted to the cross support, and maybe a piece of foam across the top to protect the underside of the hood... idea.gif Trying to stay in the KISS zone.
slowrodent
A 3d-printed grate/grill would be awesome...
Lilchopshop
@mgarrison , I'm curious if you're worried about airflow getting under the hood and causing it to lift at high speeds? Are you planning on putting any sort of louvers on the big opening?

I'm also wondering about water getting into your duct or getting past the duct and ending up in what's left of your frunk. It feels like there should be some sort of gutter/diverter around the big opening in the hood that directs the water into the duct and then a drain hole/hose in the bottom of the duct to carry the water out the bottom of the car.

These are the crazy things that those of us who don't live in sunny Arizona have to contemplate. blink.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Mar 28 2023, 10:28 AM) *

@mgarrison , I'm curious if you're worried about airflow getting under the hood and causing it to lift at high speeds? Are you planning on putting any sort of louvers on the big opening?

I'm also wondering about water getting into your duct or getting past the duct and ending up in what's left of your frunk. It feels like there should be some sort of gutter/diverter around the big opening in the hood that directs the water into the duct and then a drain hole/hose in the bottom of the duct to carry the water out the bottom of the car.

These are the crazy things that those of us who don't live in sunny Arizona have to contemplate. blink.gif

Not really concerned about air lifting the hood. Too many race examples that travel at much greater speeds without issues...Some examples from around these parts:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Also, my '03 EVO VIII had a similar vent on the aluminum hood, but with a louvered insert, and even my '19 Ford Raptor has a vented hood with a plastic louvered insert.

Water drainage is definitely more of a thought - mostly from washing the car here in AZ! I plan to put a couple of drains in the bottom of the frunk in the lowest areas. I believe that's what these were designed for:
https://914rubber.com/front-trunk-drain-tube-1

Mostly making it up as I go though! popcorn[1].gif
Lilchopshop
Sweet pictures! aktion035.gif Dammit, now I want a hole in my hood! idea.gif
Chris914n6
Normally a radiator fills from the top and sucks from the bottom. Idea is that it won't run out of water for the pump/motor until it's really low.
The Celica/MRS is an abnormal design.
mgarrison
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 28 2023, 11:57 AM) *

Normally a radiator fills from the top and sucks from the bottom. Idea is that it won't run out of water for the pump/motor until it's really low.
The Celica/MRS is an abnormal design.

Yea, the Celica radiator is odd - why I called Mishimoto to see what their take was on the direction of flow in their version. Also why I crossed the lines in the frunk. Was easier to line up the hoses/connectors anyway. It will draw from the lower outlet and fill via the upper/higher inlet. I figured that was the most efficient flow direction... popcorn[1].gif
mgarrison
Had some time this evening to spend on the 914. Still waiting on a couple of hose ends, but trying to keep moving forward...

Cut some steel mesh for the inlet. Still need to square away mounting it a bit more secure and get it painted black, but not too bad for the moment.
Click to view attachment

I got my block off plate and "Gurney flap" cut and mounted. Far, far, FAR from perfect/how I picture it in my teenie, tiny mind, but it's ok. I get the feeling I will never be "done", but that's ok in a lot of ways! *The plastic jug is the same dimensions as a 2.5qt round expansion tank...trying to work out where I have room to fit things. idea.gif
Click to view attachment

Seems to support the hood pretty well...
Click to view attachment

View from the inside is much improved.
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
My expansion tank arrived. Time to figure out where it fits best and get it mounted. I originally planned on the driver's side so it was closest to the outlet on the radiator.
Click to view attachment

That side proved a little too tight with the second outlet I'm not using is in exactly the wrong spot. So, over to the passenger's side we go.
Click to view attachment

A little bit more room on that side, and the plug for the extra port has room too. Confirmed it sits 3-4" higher than the outlets coming off the cylinder heads, and that it will clear the hood bracing, then mounted it with a couple of rivnuts.
Click to view attachment

Still room for a recovery/overflow tank on the driver's side, if its needed. Ordered the plug, and a 90 degree elbow for the outlet on the expansion tank. Still need to pickup some 3/8" hose, clamps, etc. at the local auto parts store smash.gif
tygaboy
It's so cool watching you work through all the things that come up as you custom fabricate your way to your one-of-a kind build. You're doing a splendid job of solving each challenge. Makes me want to steal some of your solutions...
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming! popcorn[1].gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 3 2023, 10:56 AM) *

It's so cool watching you work through all the things that come up as you custom fabricate your way to your one-of-a kind build. You're doing a splendid job of solving each challenge. Makes me want to steal some of your solutions...
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming! popcorn[1].gif

Steal away - Lord knows I've stolen any and every idea I can from your builds! pray.gif
Mayne
Looks great. I can’t quite read the brand. Canton?
mgarrison
QUOTE(Mayne @ Apr 3 2023, 07:22 PM) *

Looks great. I can’t quite read the brand. Canton?

Yes, Canton 2.5qt 5" diameter expansion tank...
mgarrison
Had to be "Barn Dad" the last two Saturdays, but got a couple things done on the 914. With the concrete poured, I can at least use the Quick Jack without having to roll the 914 around to the garage.
Click to view attachment

I managed to get the last -16AN hose end on. Had to do this one under the car as it was not long enough to pull out beside the car to install. -16 fittings are a real bear...hoping to not do those again this lifetime! But, they look cool and I like the idea they just unscrew.
Click to view attachment

My new fuel tank showed up only for me to discover I had an early style tank in my '74. Expansion tank mounts are not correct for the metal expansion tank I have. No charcoal canister in any of the parts that came off the car. We'll see if I need to correct the expansion tank mounts, or... confused24.gif
mgarrison
Trying to get a few things together while I wait on my tunnel lines and sort out fuel pump/filter/regulator. Not much progress, but something!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I ended up with a later tank, but my '74 originally had an early tank with the metal expansion tank & mounts. When I set the new tank in place, the "fin/ridge" on the bottom of the tank rests on the plastic dust cover where the steering column goes into the steering rack...Is this due to differences in the old vs. new style tank? I thought the only difference was the mounting points for the steel vs. plastic expansion tanks & charcoal canisters...??? confused24.gif
mgarrison
Another couple small pieces of the puzzle arrived and I was (mostly) able to get them installed. For anyone converting to a Subaru six, keep these HPS silicone hose adapters in mind. They have several sizes available, and some sizes available in a 45 or 90 degree elbow as well (Found on the FFR 818 threads).
Click to view attachment

I still need to trim the driver's side down a bit to make enough room to get it all connected. Sadly, they didn't have the elbows in the size I needed.

Kudos to the couple members here at 914World that pointed me to these VW-AN adapters for the outlets on the bottom of the fuel tank. Seems like they will make connecting/routing lines to fuel filter and pump much cleaner & easier aktion035.gif
mgarrison
Waiting on fuel pump and various parts, connectors, etc. Printed out the PMS directions for the gas cap opening in the hood. Double-checked several times and got it as close as I could without cutting into the hood support structure on the bottom of the hood. Not perfect, but very little is perfect on my '14! wacko.gif
slowrodent
You're making great progress Mike!...... Pretty soon we'll be hiding from the sun here in the desert... mad.gif
mgarrison
Received my parts/adapters to re-do the coolant outlets coming off the heads. I had to remove one hose end, cut the hose shorter and reinstall. My stick man arms are barely up to the task of installing -16AN hose ends while under the car, but I got it done. Much cleaner looking, and a lot more room than the straight reducers. aktion035.gif
mgarrison
I received more of my fuel system parts. So, I set about seeing how things are going to fit and where I will be able to install them, how to route hoses, etc.

The elbows coming off the AN adapters for the fuel tank outlets seem to make things a bit easier as you can orient them the direction you need to make connections simple.
Click to view attachment

I tried a test fit or two on the fuel pump, but still need to get a pre-filter before the fuel pump so I can route lines and nail down mounting location for the pump.
Click to view attachment

I had to order a radiator cap from Summit - my local FLAPS did not have a single radiator cap in stock! confused24.gif The world has definitely moved on...
mgarrison
I'm waiting to order my fuel filters & regulator. Had to replace the washer, and have had to pay $2k in medical bills the first 9 days of May. barf.gif Has put a damper on ordering 914 parts, that's for sure!

Still trying to do little things to keep moving forward, however slowly. I swiped a paint pen from my wife so I could mark the bolts that have been torqued.
Click to view attachment

I got my fuel line grommet installed and managed to get the lines through it after a brief struggle and a couple mosquito bites - can't believe these dang Asian Tiger Mosquitoes! Nasty little buggers ar15.gif
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Figured I will need to have wipers on the car to get it registered one of these days. Got the crusty wiper arms and motor out to try and clean them up and get them working smoothly.
Click to view attachment

Moves much better after pulling it all apart, cleaning and greasing it. Looks a bit better too.
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
So, this happened when I was torqueing the strut inserts down...
Click to view attachment

The original big cupped washer with the tab actually broke the tab off when I was torqueing it. I ordered a replacement washer and had issues with that one also - UGH. The strut inserts were used, so it's possible there was an issue with the slot in the threads or something. Passenger side went fine, but driver's side causing chaos. headbang.gif

$400 dollars later, the replacement inserts are supposed to be arriving today wacko.gif
mgarrison
Plugging along on the fuel pump, filter and lines. That Gates Barricade hose is difficult to work with, but nothing like trying to make AN hoses - thank God! I got my openings drilled/cut, grommets installed and it looks like the lines pass through without any issues.

Ordered a 45 degree end for the vent line so that things under the tank will line up better and be easier to get connected. Not much room to work under there, that's for sure!
mgarrison
It is nice to be able to just unbolt the flares and remove them so you have plenty of room to work with the struts, brakes, etc. Not sure how getting to the strut to remove & get the part number off of the insert might have gone with permanently mounted flares! idea.gif
Click to view attachment
mgarrison
Koni parts porn has arrived! Guess I have something to do this afternoon after all aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment

I just need to figure out which pieces I need to use to make them match up what's already installed (know I need the spacers). Not sure about the bump stops though... idea.gif
mgarrison
I've been trying to plan out my wiring. In the meantime I decided to redo a Yeti cup my company sent out to us. I didn't like the red color, or the big company logo on the side. wacko.gif

So, now it's Ravenna green to match the 914! aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
slowrodent
It really is a very nice quality build you're producing.. Keep up the great work. Color will be superb with flares when complete! beer.gif
mgarrison
I've lost 6-8 weeks due to the crazy 110+ degrees every day! I believe we had 31 days in a row over 110. Didn't even try to work on the 914...about got sick just trying to mow the grass for 20min. We just hid inside for over a month! barf.gif

Anyway, I did try to get my wiring planned out as much as my brain could handle. Got the fuse block, wires, pins, etc. all ordered.
Click to view attachment

Since working INSIDE was the only real option, I tried to document and wire up what I could in the house.
Click to view attachment

It wasn't much, but it was SOMETHING wacko.gif

It's finally back under 110, at least for a few days so I'm trying to plan out and do a few things on the 914. Still need a big-ass fan running to keep you alive though!
Click to view attachment

I was unable to find my battery tray support so I had to order another one. Also ordered the rubber mount for the wiper motor. Trying to determine the best spot for my fuse block and needed to see how much room there is under there with the wiper motor in place.
Click to view attachment

Still need to order new rubber washers/seals for the wiper assembly...
mgarrison
I found a box that is the same basic size as the battery I would like to use. Did a quick test fit of the tray and "battery" box.
Click to view attachment

Got the support and tray aligned as best I could in the car and got them screwed together in prep for welding.
Click to view attachment

About all I've been able to accomplish this crazy HOT summer...
mgarrison
Well, the 914 is finally in the garage.
Click to view attachment

But, not for a good reason... wacko.gif
Click to view attachment

HS girl turned left right in front of our son on his way to work last Thursday morning. Thankfully, nobody was injured. Can't say the same for the Miata! Neither door will even close all the way anymore sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Quick test fit of the Corbeau seats our Son had in the Miata. I may be able to use his Momo steering wheel also...
Click to view attachment

Now for the joyous "Insurance Games"... barf.gif
76-914
That sucks. Are you trying to locate the tray in the stock location? If so I can get you a pic of that.
slowrodent
Sorry to read about the accident Mike. Certainly glad that he is ok. Good to keep a clear perspective during these times. 914 progress looks very good considering a long very hot summer.
mgarrison
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 11 2023, 04:51 PM) *

That sucks. Are you trying to locate the tray in the stock location? If so I can get you a pic of that.

Yea, basically. Not super concerned about the location being perfect. Debating if I really want to pull engine & trans and weld in the tray. Or, maybe use rivnuts so they tray could be removed if needed for some reason... confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.