Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Retroracer
Looks good!!

As a side note, if you're going to drop the standard 914 body over that, you might need to roll the fenders a little to prevent rubbing..

- Tony
tazz9924
Finally back at it! i made some tubes ive been R and D-ing in my head for months. They came out well even though they are very complex. I really put some mileage on that grinder today!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Nice, nice work on the chassis fab. I know the challenges you faced getting those tubes to fit. You dun guut! aktion035.gif
I really enjoy seeing your high quality, well thought out design and fab. Keep up the great work!
(Or, take a break and come out here to help me with the RacerBenz cage!)
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 3 2021, 06:51 AM) *

(Or, take a break and come out here to help me with the RacerBenz cage!)

I wish! but we both need to work on our 914s! beerchug.gif lol-2.gif
tazz9924
Just added some of the last of the main tubes before i get the body on! Now it’s about welding everything i can see, removing the motor and trans, and welding the rest. Add in some front strut tubes i just now remembered then its body time!!!Click to view attachment
tazz9924
I added in the tubes i mentioned in the front apron area. I stared at it for a good two hours to make sure it looked as good as possible. This caused me to no longer like the front end. It doesn’t have visual flow, i referred to it as a mullet chassis; Buisness in the front, Party in the back. That being said i took a step back, installed my seat and i love the whole chassis again. This is a process im sure many are familiar with.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
What are your projected GVW differences? beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 7 2021, 07:25 AM) *

GVW, gross vehicle weight? As in weight distribution? or the difference between my original goal weight and likely actual?
Weight distribution surely isnt great now but there are more componets i need to install forward of the cg than behind it. I can lift the front of the chassis in a dead lift kinda way as it sits. but the ride height being so high in the front makes it easier too. I figure 45% front is realistic. The best thing here though, is mass centralization as most weight is between the axles. Total weight i still believe 1800 is the number. as far as things go it will be lacking lots of regular things and if i put it on a diet with loads of fiberglass 1700s is possible.
tazz9924
I reinforced the body and gave it the good ole sawzall treatment. I hate this tool but the utility is undeniable. On the other hand the chassis is just about rust free now!Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ May 7 2021, 04:38 PM) *

GVW, gross vehicle weight? As in weight distribution? or the difference between my original goal weight and likely actual?
Weight distribution surely isnt great now but there are more componets i need to install forward of the cg than behind it. I can lift the front of the chassis in a dead lift kinda way as it sits. but the ride height being so high in the front makes it easier too. I figure 45% front is realistic. The best thing here though, is mass centralization as most weight is between the axles. Total weight i still believe 1800 is the number. as far as things go it will be lacking lots of regular things and if i put it on a diet with loads of fiberglass 1700s is possible.

Wow! That ought to go like a scalded ass ape. At such a light weight I'm guessing you're going with big sticky tires. Keep posting your progress. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2021, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ May 7 2021, 04:38 PM) *

Wow! That ought to go like a scalded ass ape. At such a light weight I'm guessing you're going with big sticky tires. Keep posting your progress. beerchug.gif

I do believe 305 or 315 r888’s are what the doctor orders
tazz9924
Body is about to go on! I think im going to try setting it on tomorrow. It drops directly down on to the chassis, and by our backstrain-o-meter we figure i got the body down to about 120 lbs. Its really no problem for two guys but we will see how that goes. Im glad i got this car instead of anyone else because i would NOT want to restore this. It had rust everywhere from hell hole, to driver speaker pod of all places. I was the perfect guy for this car because i kept none of that gross orangy brown stuff.
tazz9924
The Body Is On! ....kinda. i finally got a couple people together to set the body on top. it is neither mounted nor sitting in the right spot. it needs to go forward 2.5” it should fit up very good! obviously there are a couple “visual issues” the strut tops certainly poke through but i think it will just add to the crazy look!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
And a bonus, to whoever wanted to know what a 914 gasser looks like, here you go:Click to view attachment
76-914
Great work. More pic's. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Keep on trimming!! You've got a good 50lbs of excess 914 there you can cut out smile.gif
FourBlades

This is an awesome creation, I love it. first.gif

You are a fabrication genius!

You have made a lot of progress in a short time.

John
tygaboy
Forget Gasser - too easy. You need to go full Funny Car and make it so the whole body tilts up.

(Follow me for more great design and fabrication ideas! laugh.gif )

Seriously, you're making great progress. I hope I get to meet you and see your mad creation some day.
tazz9924
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 3 2021, 06:28 AM) *

Keep on trimming!! You've got a good 50lbs of excess 914 there you can cut out smile.gif

dont tempt me...
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 3 2021, 06:53 AM) *

Forget Gasser - too easy. You need to go full Funny Car and make it so the whole body tilts up.

(Follow me for more great design and fabrication ideas! laugh.gif )

Seriously, you're making great progress. I hope I get to meet you and see your mad creation some day.

That would be sweet. body should be fairly removable to allow for powder coating anyway. Also i wouldn’t be apposed to a cross country trip for a good meet up but that is a ways off.
tazz9924
Just got some nice pictures, i have a video coming out on it today!Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
I made a new video to summarize about the last year. Ive been on the road racing all year but i think ive made great progress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQoJtfPj9E
Retroracer
Excellent video!! Love some of the time lapse sequences. Cool build!

- Tony
tazz9924
Long time no see! racing season is in full swing and i havent been home for more than a couple days at a time. But things have happened; First i bought my engine! cheer.gif piratenanner.gif Its an ej25 from iag. Its their stage 2 tuff block. Its a brand new block, sti crank rods, pistons rod bolts. Its been honed and balanced, along with all the good stuff! All in its good for 675hp but it wont see that much... yet. Its a pretty piece and ive already got some goodies for it hiding around here.
Click to view attachment
Always impressed how much power you can get out of something so small:
Click to view attachment
Today i leveled and aligned the body so i can work on mounting it finally. of course it took way longer than it should but it is done. Tomorrow is a big day!
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
REDRUM it...
Front yard mechanic
I like it w00t.gif
Cairo94507
Wow! Amazing skills. I really enjoyed the video and the progress of the chassis and body. That motor is going to be epic in that car. Looking forward to seeing more work. beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
76-914
The build is now in the fun stage. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 11 2021, 09:04 AM) *

The build is now in the fun stage. beerchug.gif

Finally!
tazz9924
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 10 2021, 07:56 PM) *

REDRUM it...

i may do something similar on the rear fenders
tazz9924
Started working on mounting the body, made a rear bumper bar. I took a piece of 1-1/4” tube and slip rolled it to about an inch of deflection so it sat fairly nice under the tail lights. Added tabs and presto! A little job but it came out good. Tomorrow should see loads of work.
Click to view attachment
Ps you can see how rusty this thing is oh well it doesn’t trouble me
tazz9924
Got the rear bumper tacked up, it’s looking pretty mean and ready for double duty as a diffuser mount cheer.gif
Things took longer than expected because i had to go through a few design iterations before settling on this, and i really like it!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FL000
I can’t believe how fast you have gotten to this point. Any kind of schedule you are working towards for getting it on the road? Won’t be long at the pace you are going beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Aug 17 2021, 06:37 PM) *

I can’t believe how fast you have gotten to this point. Any kind of schedule you are working towards for getting it on the road? Won’t be long at the pace you are going beerchug.gif

I don’t find my pace that fast, though that may be self critical. im hoping by next june to hopefully have it running, but engine parts aren’t cheap and neither is anything else. But ill just do what i can.
tazz9924
Got the pedals in! i decided that im going to mount all the things that make me smile this weekend: pedals, wheel, gas tank and maybe shifter. so we’ll see how things progress!Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Brought my steering wheel into work today and used the bridgeport to put the bolt pattern of the quick release hub into the wheel. It felt very high stakes but it all worked out in the end, plus i learned more about triangles piratenanner.gif
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Boy that is a Tiny wheel!

Love the progress buddy!
tazz9924
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 22 2021, 07:36 AM) *

Boy that is a Tiny wheel!

Love the progress buddy!

Yes it is! just a little smaller than my daily drivers wheel so i should be ok
tazz9924
Did some major steering system work! I made it to the point where it is free from binding and all that good stuff, but i need one more steering shaft bearing to prevent it from telescoping but it looks good and thats half the battle
Click to view attachment
I also took the time to knotch the tubes to allow the gas tank to sit nicely in it’s little hovel. That was driving my ocd up a wall looking at it crooked.
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Better refined the steering system today and got it tacked together enough to actually turn the wheels!! Man will this thing be cool. I still need to reinforce the steering heim joints to fully eliminate play but as a proof of concept i am extremely happy. Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Made a video of recent progress for those of us who dont like to read forums!
(if any of us are actually like that...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvzjtbU10E
tazz9924
Over the last two days i built the A pillar bars. Each bar has 3 bends and 5 notches. 4 notches were completely hand made but by the time its done it felt like all 5 were hand done. im quite happy with how they turned out, as always i was very worried about the feasibility of it to only make it happen nicely! Next comes the roof bars!!!Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I also made a home made tubing un-bender.... Its ghetto but it worked

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Dude! I feel you on those multi-angle miters AND the unbending! Dealing with some of that very same stuff on my RacerBenz build.
But man! You are moving right along. aktion035.gif
Love the center seating set up, too.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 14 2021, 09:00 PM) *

Dude! I feel you on those multi-angle miters AND the unbending! Dealing with some of that very same stuff on my RacerBenz build.
But man! You are moving right along. aktion035.gif
Love the center seating set up, too.

Thank you! I figured you knew the pain headbang.gif
tazz9924
Made a very good fitting eyebrow bar, it sits a little under an 1/8” from the windshield frame with a 6* bend in the center. I also worked on some other tubes so hopefully its a big update tomorrow!
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Didn’t get everything i wanted done today but i did get quite a bit! I made the roof V to protect my squishy bits from above, while still allowing me easy and quick exit from the vehicle. I also completed one of the FIA bars that extend from the footwell to the upper bend on the A pillar bar. I had my doubts about it because of driver egress concerns but its really not an issue. Once i get that done its gusset time and a little special piece? maybe we’ll see!
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Finished the other fia bar and started mounting of the windshield!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
You're definitely "on a mission" and killing it! Bet you take a "1st drive" before the end of this year. Stay after it. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 18 2021, 08:35 AM) *

You're definitely "on a mission" and killing it! Bet you take a "1st drive" before the end of this year. Stay after it. beerchug.gif

Unfortunately its unlikely. im working on it like an animal right now because tuesday i leave for 6 weeks blink.gif the racing industry is ridiculous but its fun so you must make sacrifices. That being said ill save up a load of money for fun parts!
tazz9924
Began work in the off center console... you know because its not in the center exactly thats where i am. Its some 1” tubing bent at 30 degrees but when placed together it looks really cool and i already added the spot for my shifty!
tazz9924
did a lil bit of reinforcement for the off center console and bolted in my K-tuned shifter. I finally have all the haptic stuff installed and i have no complaints!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.