Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Lilchopshop
pray.gif pray.gif
Amazing skills! Videos are fantastic too!
Mayne
Saw the video before I saw your post here. Excellent work as always! Like you, I was a bit surprised the weight came in that high, and I'm sure you'll add lightness. But you can also just add horsepower!
tazz9924
Ok so catch up time! I guess ill start with the firewall, its made of .024 steel. Everything was sheared out then bead rolled and bent. It makes for very pretty and strong panels. Welding sheet metal to a much thicker tubing is... a difficult process. However it can be made far easier with silicone bronze filler rod. Mig welders i have no advice. It melts like butter and seems to take a whole lot of heat relative to standard steel. And walla:Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
QUOTE(Mayne @ Feb 3 2023, 12:32 PM) *

Saw the video before I saw your post here. Excellent work as always! Like you, I was a bit surprised the weight came in that high, and I'm sure you'll add lightness. But you can also just add horsepower!

Yeah im suprised but also not suprised. I Dont Know What Im Doing But im trying to. Everything is built a bit heavier than necessary, and less than efficient. I obviously hoped for less but the bed i made is the bed ill lay in. I can make a lot of things very light, and it should still get me in the range where people say: man thats light.
tazz9924
Next up i mounted the intercooler. I chose a mishimoto water to air intercooler, its rated for 500hp which should get the job done perfectly. It’s important to not “over intercool” the engine. It can create more lag, pressure drops etc. But i mounted it using fancy rubber washer/grommet i got from mcmaster carr. The whole unit is very stiff but is still isolated with rubber.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I saw the video. Great work. I’m really not surprised about the weight. That’s a lot of tubing. Still, perfect can be the enemy of good so congrats on getting it built. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
That’s a BIG turbocharger.
tazz9924
Next up is a simple one, the exhaust. Its only three parts: vband, 3” round tube, and 3” round to oval. I set the length to barely come out of the body to prevent major carbon build up. Tacked it all and back purged it. My tube prep is so good that i can weld the tubes together without any filler rod. The flange will get some but thats to be expected. Next up is the wastegate!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Lovely. And I know what it takes to do that level of work... Not easy! Great job! pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif
tazz9924
Next is my favorite piece so far! i had to add the wastegate to the collector. This was done in a way to prioritize flow to the wastegate for better boost regulation. This also meant i get to add the screamer pipe to the back end as well.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 6 2023, 09:32 AM) *

Lovely. And I know what it takes to do that level of work... Not easy! Great job! pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif

why thank you! I must say i have used your work as inspiration quite a bit myself!
tazz9924
Then it was on to the intercooler pipe. I have never welded aluminum before, but i sure gave it a good try! i practiced for about 2 hours before finally taking the plunge. I dont have photos of during the process but i can say the design was very simple and i added a tial blow off valve, and i polished the pipe. Overall im very proud of the results.
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
New video out today! It’s shorter due to me being busy but i enjoy it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v75D_SBEFTY&a...eature=youtu.be
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
You're going to love messing with that PMU. I love what they allow you to do... I expect LOTS of details, when you get to the wiring stuff. Keep up the great work. smilie_pokal.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 16 2023, 04:31 PM) *

You're going to love messing with that PMU. I love what they allow you to do... I expect LOTS of details, when you get to the wiring stuff. Keep up the great work. smilie_pokal.gif

Can do! Ive wanted one since the moment i saw one, except the racepak one was too expensive. Then haltech came around. Details should be plentiful
tazz9924
Now lets kickback with some good pictures.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Everything is kinda free floating in the last picture, when securely attached everything will be parallel..
tazz9924
Ive done a lot lately but its been little bits everyday until i realized im way further along then the forum. So as a little taste, ive been baffling my small car performance oil pan. I know nothing about this process but now im done so i figured it out i guess. I went from paper template in a diamond shape around the pick up. transferred it to aluminum, grabbed some aluminum piano hinge and slotted holes in the panels. the two were then welded together with a little limiter on it (keeps the doors from closing too slowly) then it was all added to the pan and we have a product im very proud of. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Engine build is now! I have been holding out a bit but i’ll detail it here shortly
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzClvdOtoI&a...eature=youtu.be
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 16 2023, 10:50 AM) *

Engine build is now! I have been holding out a bit but i’ll detail it here shortly
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzClvdOtoI&a...eature=youtu.be
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is the motor in question, a b e a utiful piece from japan. It features 2.5 liter displacement, ej20 heads, forged internals, everything AN, not a single rubber hose, and its an animal.

Ive been nickel and dimed do death by this thing but im back from the dead to do it all again. The results speak for themselves smile.gif
tazz9924
I had a long couple months getting my dodge race ready and nearly finished on the podium, but now im on to the porsche for a bit. Recently i took all the suspension off the car to do some finish welding and make the engine install and firewall install easier. speaking of which; the firewall!
A lot of firewall work has been done to get it ready for wiring and liquid lines. Im using so much filler rod on this stuff but at least it comes out nice.
Also for some reason i get too lazy to post stuff on the car. Call it busy or lazy or something else, but i do get work done on it constantly so progress hasn’t stopped. Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
I put the new engine in for not the last time, but the last time before it starts.. i think. For now im using the stock clutch flywheel and trans until im ready to get serious and make real power, not putting around the neighborhood. Im quite pleased with how clean it looks in there along with the firewall and all!
tazz9924
current state:
tazz9924
headers and intake are on, getting very close to hoses and wiring!
tygaboy
All the thinking, all the decisions, all the work, all the clean up. Then you post pics and get zero response... Welcome to the world of "out there" modifications! biggrin.gif

Know that many are watching and all are in awe.

Keep up the great work! aktion035.gif
76-914
I was out of the country and too cheap to respond. But I was watching. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 31 2023, 05:42 AM) *

All the thinking, all the decisions, all the work, all the clean up. Then you post pics and get zero response... Welcome to the world of "out there" modifications! biggrin.gif

Know that many are watching and all are in awe.

Keep up the great work! aktion035.gif

I appreciate it! Still working wether anyone watches or not!
PanelBilly
I’m watching too
tazz9924
New video out now! i put too much time into this one, but 1:30am me said it was pretty good. either way, see what youve missed!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vR68NzQk4g
BillJ
Mad skills yo
tygaboy
Coming right along!
rhodyguy
I remember that car in my driveway. Looks different for sure.
tazz9924
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 6 2023, 05:31 PM) *

I remember that car in my driveway. Looks different for sure.

out here in north carolina?
rhodyguy
No. Pierce County/Tacoma. Or you had a dif car then.
tazz9924
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 7 2023, 04:39 AM) *

No. Pierce County/Tacoma. Or you had a dif car then.

That one got totalled, hit by a guy not paying attention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ This is a new to me body, thats somehow worse beer3.gif
tazz9924
Been working a lot lately on the wiring harness. There are a ton of wires that go into a car, im learning this as i add them all in from scratch. Luckily im using a pdm so i dont have to wire in a ton of relays and everything is computer controlled and communicates through CAN. The other thing ive learned is how god dang expensive wiring stuff is. I’ve probably spent about 1000 on just supplies. Not to mention the ecu and pdm. I must say so far ive been completely impressed with everything ive got from haltech. They have a wealth of information for subaru stuff, their products are good, and their tuning program is easy to use. In fact i already have the base map made for it piratenanner.gif
getting this motor started is the priority and its close.
Click to view attachment
Here you can see i made a mock up harness out of rope and labeled all the connectors so i can simply make up the engine harness outside the car in the comfort of a chair.
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
I actually found I really enjoyed doing my harness build. Hope you do, too. And I hear you on the "not cheap" part. But best not to scrimp on stuff that can cause reliability issues... and worse.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product! aktion035.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 25 2023, 05:34 AM) *

I actually found I really enjoyed doing my harness build. Hope you do, too. And I hear you on the "not cheap" part. But best not to scrimp on stuff that can cause reliability issues... and worse.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product! aktion035.gif

It is super enjoyable! Wiring scares most people but i am learning so much its hard to not like it. Its a very mental task… i like those.
tazz9924
I finished my engine harness! This was a huge step i wanted to make. I knew nothing about wiring to start but with enough time research and money i made my dream a reality. I hit all the notes i wanted to: Shrink boots, DR-25 heat shrink, yellow labels, and nice to look at!
I started with the previously stated rope harness, laid out the wires on top and split them up, ran all the grounds and heatshrunk it. Then it was down to installing the connectors with all the wires in the correct position (hope you checked before using $70 in heatshrink), and adding pins and plugs. Does that sound easy? Well it wasn’t but it sure was fun from plan to execution, it was a cool task that keeps you busy!Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Nice work! I’ll be needing to do mine soon. Is that all shrink wrap or is there tape wrap also?
tazz9924
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jul 30 2023, 03:33 AM) *

Nice work! I’ll be needing to do mine soon. Is that all shrink wrap or is there tape wrap also?

No tape wrap or electrical tape whatsoever just kapton. Its a clear yellowish real thin tape to bundle wires.
tygaboy
Approved! aktion035.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 30 2023, 05:34 AM) *

Approved! aktion035.gif

This means a lot, thank you!
76-914
So did you give it the Electric Cool-Aid Acid Test, yet? shades.gif
tazz9924
I added controls to the center stack, including kill switch and a haltech CAN keypad. The key pad is absolutely sweet! With 4 wires i could control anything on the car. Ive chosen 13-15 inputs so far but i see it as a chance to expand a bit.
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 1 2023, 06:00 AM) *

I am unfamiliar with such tests confused24.gif
76-914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Aug 11 2023, 02:36 PM) *

Literary license in this case. Your car is a trip......have you tried it yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_...l-Aid_Acid_Test
rhodyguy
Do you have to take it all apart to paint the chassis?
tazz9924
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 12 2023, 07:41 AM) *

Do you have to take it all apart to paint the chassis?

Yeah im going to have it powder coated. For now im just giving it repeated coates of wd40 to keep it from rusting. Normally you would finish the chassis then install everything but i dont yet know when im done with the chassis. Besides a full assembly would just be like adult legos.
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 11 2023, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Aug 11 2023, 02:36 PM) *

Literary license in this case. Your car is a trip......have you tried it yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_...l-Aid_Acid_Test

Haha you would think
tazz9924
Got a lot of the interior harnesses pinned and protected. There are a ton of wires between the pdm and ecu and going all directions its hard to keep it clean looking but as far as start up goes this is good for now. I may further reduce and what not from here but at the very least it will get a couple 90 degree heat shrink boots. The wire covering here is expandable braid, and i can definitely say you can see a difference between cheap and quality braid. The quality stuff stays together and doesn’t fray as easily. Burning the ends on either gives good results though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.