Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
mgp4591
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 18 2021, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 18 2021, 08:35 AM) *

You're definitely "on a mission" and killing it! Bet you take a "1st drive" before the end of this year. Stay after it. beerchug.gif

Unfortunately its unlikely. im working on it like an animal right now because tuesday i leave for 6 weeks blink.gif the racing industry is ridiculous but its fun so you must make sacrifices. That being said ill save up a load of money for fun parts!

Okay, the info about the racing season and the NC location finally answered some questions in my mind...I was wondering how you developed your skills in engineering and fabrication. Your build is amazing and I'm looking forward to your progress when you get back to it! And stay safe!
tazz9924
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 19 2021, 10:00 PM) *

You're definitely "on a mission" and killing it! Bet you take a "1st drive" before the end of this year. Stay after it. beerchug.gif

Unfortunately its unlikely. im working on it like an animal right now because tuesday i leave for 6 weeks blink.gif the racing industry is ridiculous but its fun so you must make sacrifices. That being said ill save up a load of money for fun parts!

Okay, the info about the racing season and the NC location finally answered some questions in my mind...I was wondering how you developed your skills in engineering and fabrication. Your build is amazing and I'm looking forward to your progress when you get back to it! And stay safe!

Im actually in an engine shop not a fab shop, my skills are mostly home grown. but believe me it doesn’t hurt working in racing when it comes to acquiring skills.
tazz9924
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Sep 19 2021, 10:00 PM) *

This is the day job:
Click to view attachment
djway
Click to view attachment
A few years back I built a pro mod cuda......in scale smile.gif
Looks like a fun day job
tazz9924
QUOTE(djway @ Sep 20 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Looks like a fun day job

I like it! always been curious how this is done, maybe one day if i slow down idea.gif
djway
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 21 2021, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Sep 20 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Looks like a fun day job

I like it! always been curious how this is done, maybe one day if i slow down idea.gif

Click to view attachment
Honestly full scale is easier.......and you can drive it evilgrin.gif
tazz9924
New video today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTlpSpwLTFc

sixnotfour
wow beerchug.gif
Mayne
Fantastic! The shifter structure looks great with kind of a modern super car geometry to it. The wheels seem like positive offset (would have expected more dish). Are you planning to run them inboard a bit for body clearance? Amazing vision and execution as always!
tygaboy
Love this whole thing. Great videos, interesting content. I only wish I had something to add but you clearly have everything well in hand.
Oh wait, I do have something to say: Don't say I didn't warn you about MIG splatter adding some patina to your seat! poke.gif happy11.gif
Keep up the spectacular work.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 26 2021, 07:58 AM) *

Love this whole thing. Great videos, interesting content. I only wish I had something to add but you clearly have everything well in hand.
Oh wait, I do have something to say: Don't say I didn't warn you about MIG splatter adding some patina to your seat! poke.gif happy11.gif
Keep up the spectacular work.

I dont own a mig welder actually. not once has one been used on this car. Now that everything is where it should be the seat will come back out and into storage for a bit. I want to lower the seating position some more too for head clearence. not that it isn’t currently acceptable but i want it better.
76-914
Post the YouTube link, pls.
tygaboy
@tazz9924 - your extra special custom made parts are ready! Well, except I didn't final drill the holes. They're plasma cut to .2" diameter but a quick pass with a 1/4" drill and you should be set to use a 6mm bolt.
OK if I leave that to you? Assuming so, I'll get them in the mail in the next day or so.
mepstein
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Sep 25 2021, 09:48 PM) *

Wow. I had no idea you were so young. Amazing job!
I was just down your way buying another motorcycle.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 9 2021, 11:58 AM) *

@tazz9924 - your extra special custom made parts are ready! Well, except I didn't final drill the holes. They're plasma cut to .2" diameter but a quick pass with a 1/4" drill and you should be set to use a 6mm bolt.
OK if I leave that to you? Assuming so, I'll get them in the mail in the next day or so.

Looking good! well on my way to preserving those flippy lights!
tazz9924
Finally starting to get back at it after a long work trip. I started off fixing some fust in whats left of the longs. i cut out the offending spots and welded in new american steel. ...hopefully it’ll last longer this time and mostly ground down the welds. some i couldn’t reach just yet but so far so good. onto the Driver(?) side.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Cut out those gross ugly longs i hear you guys talk about (and to a greater extent have nightmares about). What was left was totally un needed so i cut it all out and i worked on installing my stands. So you can still walk, stand, crawl,complain about how low the car is over, and fall over, all over the door sills. i really like how it looks too!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
For us oldies:

Dude! That is totally tubular!

Seriously, wicked cool build. I simply HAVE to find a way to get back there, meet you and see your build.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 1 2021, 07:33 AM) *

For us oldies:

Dude! That is totally tubular!

Seriously, wicked cool build. I simply HAVE to find a way to get back there, meet you and see your build.

Any time! but if its soon i have to hurry up and get something done!
tazz9924
Finished up the other side of the rockers, removed the last little tight spot in the steering and oh yeah: Removed the front springs so it doesn’t sit up all stupid. The good news is my control arm angle on the front is gonna be dead nuts. its a little high now believe it or not but it needs to come down about an inch or two. Right now the control arm is angled down slightly so to make it level it needs to go lower piratenanner.gif oh and btw i cut the passenger side spring in like 5 pieces to get it out. Ill need a custom strut to get the hight i need so i dont feel bad.
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Got down to making my temporary jig for the flip up lights. @tygaboy made me the brackets on the plasma table, and they installed right in! I then used my chance to finally remove the head gear off the front of the body. I gave the hood a test fit and i wont need much/if any bump in the hood to clear the strut towers piratenanner.gif Things have honestly gone very good lately and im working to keep the gas pressed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
I am so happy to be back! i have been so busy lately almost everything in life has been on the back burner. In December i raced my dodge again with 24 hours of lemons at road atlanta and won the Heroic fix trophy. Ill link the video down below. Then i went home for christmas for 10 days, returned to work for one day before goin go to south texas to shoot a TV show for 6 weeks. Now im finally back! And im going to start with some house cleaning (literally and figuratively).

I bought a sheridan one ish piece front end for mark at 914 and wow is this a beautiful piece! Sheridan parts have been a dream of mine for a long time. I may be still a kid to most but when i was a kid i looked up to the sheridan race cars. I also recently picked up some rear wide body panels and a couple other goodies while i was in texas and they will be here soon.

Click to view attachment

Tomorrow is a day of work ive looked forward to for a long time. This should get pretty good here soon.

Lemons video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOKdhoDLME&t=992s
Click to view attachment
76-914
Can't see it. Where in south TX? beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2022, 08:48 PM) *

Harlingen-Mcallen
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2022, 08:48 PM) *

i gave up and did it the lazy way wacko.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 5 2022, 09:35 PM) *

I am so happy to be back! i have been so busy lately almost everything in life has been on the back burner. In December i raced my dodge again with 24 hours of lemons at road atlanta and won the Heroic fix trophy. Ill link the video down below. Then i went home for christmas for 10 days, returned to work for one day before goin go to south texas to shoot a TV show for 6 weeks. Now im finally back! And im going to start with some house cleaning (literally and figuratively).

I bought a sheridan one ish piece front end for mark at 914 and wow is this a beautiful piece! Sheridan parts have been a dream of mine for a long time. I may be still a kid to most but when i was a kid i looked up to the sheridan race cars. I also recently picked up some rear wide body panels and a couple other goodies while i was in texas and they will be here soon.

Click to view attachment

Tomorrow is a day of work ive looked forward to for a long time. This should get pretty good here soon.

Lemons video:
Click to view attachment

That's some heroic pit work there! I cringed a bit when I saw the Dart Sport roof and what had been done to the car but you guys made it glorious anyway... Congratulations!
tazz9924
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 5 2022, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 5 2022, 09:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Lemons video:
Click to view attachment

That's some heroic pit work there! I cringed a bit when I saw the Dart Sport roof and what had been done to the car but you guys made it glorious anyway... Congratulations!

Thank you! i feel bad sometimes but then i think about how much i love the car and the fact i got it for free.
tazz9924
I cut the nose off the car so i can fit up the sheridan nose on for testing and smile reasons. and i really like the way it looks with all the factory sheet metal cut out. it feels really racecar like with the nose cut off.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
You wrecked it twice? blink.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 6 2022, 10:20 PM) *

Not him personally, but yeah... happy11.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 6 2022, 09:20 PM) *

rough weekend but it was awesome. i live for the repairs, the race wouldn’t be as interesting if i came back and said: “yup we all got 2 stints, no issues” Instead i can say HOLY CRAP! look what we did! laugh.gif
not saying i mean for it to happen, chaos just follows me.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 7 2022, 08:28 AM) *

rough weekend but it was awesome. i live for the repairs, the race wouldn’t be as interesting if i came back and said: “yup we all got 2 stints, no issues” Instead i can say HOLY CRAP! look what we did! laugh.gif

LOL! Lemons video reminds me of the good old days 30 years ago crewing for anyone that would let me. You haven't done body work until you've used a phone book and a sledgehammer! happy11.gif

Great tube frame build! Inspiring.
tazz9924
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 7 2022, 05:40 AM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 7 2022, 08:28 AM) *

LOL! Lemons video reminds me of the good old days 30 years ago crewing for anyone that would let me. You haven't done body work until you've used a phone book and a sledgehammer! happy11.gif

Great tube frame build! Inspiring.

Thank you!
tazz9924
Got to work cutting out some tubing i have began to hate the look of. The tubes that go from the main chassis rail to near the shock towers got removed. Instead i will be welding in a tube that will go from the front cross bar to the shock tower. It will probably make more sense when its in so trust me this is for the best.
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Finished up the front end minus some welding and i think it turned out great! the shock towers look good, so now on to the rear.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
So.
F-ing.
COOL!
Just awesome... I'm jealous so happy for you it's turning out the way you want.
tazz9924
I have a new video out on my build! I honestly think its my best work video wise, and i hope you enjoy it!
https://youtu.be/CtjIzfFIdKQ
Click to view attachment
76-914
Great video but more importantly a great build. I like the last profile shot when you are exclaiming "I really love it". You can clearly see the 914 outline in you're tubular -should I say tubular Dude?- build. Keep up the excellent build and looking forward to more pic's n video's. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 15 2022, 08:11 PM) *

Great video but more importantly a great build. I like the last profile shot when you are exclaiming "I really love it". You can clearly see the 914 outline in you're tubular -should I say tubular Dude?- build. Keep up the excellent build and looking forward to more pic's n video's. beerchug.gif

Thank you so much! And yes, tubular does apply
tazz9924
Worked on installing the flippy lights among some smaller stuff. And so far so good! thanks again @tygaboy for the brackets, saved me a butt load of time!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Built a replacement subframe for the rear suspension to allow my to fit my headers in there. I need extra space for a larger diameter tube than standard to allow for HP room to grow. I also think this has a better cleaner look for the car.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
djway
Love the welds
tazz9924
Now both of the flippy lights are in and getting ready to popup
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
QUOTE(djway @ Feb 24 2022, 08:56 PM) *

Love the welds

smile.gif
tazz9924
Im back again this time hopefully for a while… we will see but i have a lot to do!
Todays work has been on starting to mount the nose and splitter. My solution is going to be mount it like our cars at work where the nose is completely removable, so that will look cool. (more on this later)
Ive grown to require what ever big tubes i put on the car must be fancy in some way. so i decided to flow with the line of the tube that comes down from the strut tower. So far so good, i had no ear plugs or safety glasses at hand today so ill notch the tubes tomorrow!
Also you will be seeing some cad, laser cut parts and a lot of cool other parts in the near future!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm guessing "work" is a nascar shop?
tazz9924
promod drag racing. all the noses come off and everything is easy to work on. i am now spoiled and dont want to touch regular cars anymore wacko.gif that being said i own too many of them!
tazz9924
Got the tubes notched and a tube between the two. All nice and straight with tight gaps at the intersections.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mayne
Nice work! I love watching this project evolve.
tygaboy
Wish I lived closer. It'd be fun to watch and/or be your shop helper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.