Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube Chassis Subaru Engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
tazz9924
Small bit but i like the result; i took an old catch can that had only pipe threads cut into each end. So i cut a major hole in the top and welded in a screw on cap. It went from beat up old catch can and gave it a new lease on life. It will be the fill point for ghe radiator up front.
76-914
That looks great. Nice job and great welds. Now stop posting pics of your Al welds before I convince myself that I need a TIG set up. sad.gif
tazz9924
New video is out now! Its a start of the major recent progress.
Click to view attachment
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BP7GlwrCcjo
76-914
Can't wait to watch it; tonight. Too much to do today. beerchug.gif
76-914
Great vid, Kid. What an accomplishment. Looking forward to seeing some action video's.
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 26 2023, 09:45 PM) *

Great vid, Kid. What an accomplishment. Looking forward to seeing some action video's.

Thank you so much! I hope action is going to happen sooner rather than later
tazz9924
Again ive been skittish around here but progress never stops. IT STARTS! All the time and work have turned into something. Too much to sum up except for this wonderful video (wink wink) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_otIQ7iJc
Click to view attachment
Ill post some nice photos later of some progress!
Front yard mechanic
Weeeeee
76-914
Bingo! Why didn't she fire off the first go around? confused24.gif Only one question; is that 2" rubber 1/4 bend fuel rated? Looking forward to the next video. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 25 2023, 07:25 AM) *

Bingo! Why didn't she fire off the first go around? confused24.gif Only one question; is that 2" rubber 1/4 bend fuel rated? Looking forward to the next video. beerchug.gif

Overboost cut is the reason it didn’t fire, it thought that atmospheric pressure was too much because i gave it no parameters. What are you referring to when you say 2” rubber?
76-914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Nov 25 2023, 07:54 PM) *

Overboost cut is the reason it didn’t fire, it thought that atmospheric pressure was too much because i gave it no parameters. What are you referring to when you say 2” rubber?

The piece that is used to extend gas tank fill tube.
FL000
That thing is a beast! Awesome to see how far you have come with it. beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 26 2023, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Nov 25 2023, 07:54 PM) *

The piece that is used to extend gas tank fill tube.

Yep it’s designed to be a filler hose. Wasn’t cheap as such
tazz9924
Ive got a new update video! So give it a look, ill be posting update pictures ive been taken lately. Im going to try changing my approach here a little bit.
Click to view attachment
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TQwcEfTY_A&a...eature=youtu.be
burton73
@tazz9924

Love the work on your car and the video makes it happen just like I was working in your garage with you but without the smoke from cutting and startup filling my lungs.

Great job on everything.

Bob B
tazz9924
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 4 2024, 09:02 AM) *

@tazz9924

Love the work on your car and the video makes it happen just like I was working in your garage with you but without the smoke from cutting and startup filling my lungs.

Great job on everything.

Bob B

I was a little woozy afterwards, a good CO high. But thank you!
tazz9924
Did pedals yesterday. The wilwood clusters are super trick!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
76-914
Could the reservoirs be inverted if one wanted to hang vs stand the cluster?
tazz9924
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 16 2024, 07:48 AM) *

Could the reservoirs be inverted if one wanted to hang vs stand the cluster?

This one is specifically designed to be floor mounted but there a slightly different part number that’s meant to be hung
tazz9924
I added removable braces that go from the roof to the shock towers. I used tube adapters from mc mastercarr and some heim joints to allow we to preload them and also remove them for service
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Recent work has been dedicated to the brakes, and thus I finally got to run all the stainless brake and clutch lines and it came out very clean!
Click to view attachment
mgp4591
Super clean work! I'm usually cleaning up my lines after the fact...
tazz9924
Another new video! This time detailing some details and the brake lines check it out!:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFCqnHGqsto&a...eature=youtu.be
tazz9924
Been making a custom set of mock up axles. These will see very limited driving and such but they should be plenty strong but im no engineer. Boxster outer subaru inner.
tazz9924
Decided it was time to change steering wheels on this beast in preparation for the first drive. Something a little more… wild. Its a tad bigger than before to allow it to steer a bit easier along with mounts for my buttons.
76-914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 26 2024, 09:59 PM) *

Been making a custom set of mock up axles. These will see very limited driving and such but they should be plenty strong but im no engineer. Boxster outer subaru inner.

This will be interesting! popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 27 2024, 06:40 PM) *

Decided it was time to change steering wheels on this beast in preparation for the first drive. Something a little more… wild. Its a tad bigger than before to allow it to steer a bit easier along with mounts for my buttons.

Mmmmmm... steering wheel buttons.....
aktion035.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 27 2024, 12:59 AM) *

It'll be interesting to see how those hold up. I've had best success with both sides of the axles pressed into a tube with two "fishmouths" on it so the welds are at 45 degrees to the axle circumference. That reduces the shear load and adds a component of bending which is a lot easier to handle. Done the way you show I've had a weld break and one side of axle free rotate (not dangerous in any way). But every case is different. smile.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 28 2024, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Feb 27 2024, 12:59 AM) *

It'll be interesting to see how those hold up. I've had best success with both sides of the axles pressed into a tube with two "fishmouths" on it so the welds are at 45 degrees to the axle circumference. That reduces the shear load and adds a component of bending which is a lot easier to handle. Done the way you show I've had a weld break and one side of axle free rotate (not dangerous in any way). But every case is different. smile.gif

Yeah its less than ideal. Eventually ill have the driveshaft shop make a real set but this will get the car off the jacks. The axles basically pressed into the collar so at least they will be balanced.
tazz9924
I “finished” the shift linkage. Everything looks great, it goes in every gear but theres one major issue: 1st is on the right and fifth is on the left dry.gif. I didn’t mess up, not totally. The original shifter in my old car id from an mr2 and I thought id be fancy and get a k tuned shifter. This was a bad idea because apparently the k tuned shifter pulls the cable when you move the stick to the right instead of pushing it like the mr2. So maybe a good cable shift mechanism (minus cables) and a subaru cv to 914 stock cv custom axle will be fir sale soon
Click to view attachment
Blown59
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 7 2024, 07:39 AM) *

I “finished” the shift linkage. Everything looks great, it goes in every gear but theres one major issue: 1st is on the right and fifth is on the left dry.gif. I didn’t mess up, not totally. The original shifter in my old car id from an mr2 and I thought id be fancy and get a k tuned shifter. This was a bad idea because apparently the k tuned shifter pulls the cable when you move the stick to the right instead of pushing it like the mr2. So maybe a good cable shift mechanism (minus cables) and a subaru cv to 914 stock cv custom axle will be fir sale soon
Click to view attachment

Thank you for being the guinea pig, I was just looking at those shift boxes on ebay the other night and almost pulled the trigger on one. I wasnt sure how it would fare being designed for the front wheel drive Honda.
tazz9924
New video out now, i drove this thing for the first time ever!!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXef8oGk5cI&a...eature=youtu.be
mate914
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 16 2024, 08:04 AM) *

Looks scary without seatbelts. Where will you be driving that thing, race track only? flag.gif
Matt
sb914
So awesome! Leave the body panels off. Mad max style!
East coaster
Congrats on first drive!
76-914
Congratulations. cheer.gif
tygaboy
Typical 914 swap guy: Uses adjutable wrench as a hammer... av-943.gif

OK, seriously: piratenanner.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 16 2024, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 16 2024, 08:04 AM) *

Looks scary without seatbelts. Where will you be driving that thing, race track only? flag.gif
Matt

Yep for the most part. It does have mounts for belts i just didn’t install them yet.
tazz9924
QUOTE(sb914 @ Mar 16 2024, 05:42 AM) *

So awesome! Leave the body panels off. Mad max style!

It does look mean like that doesn’t it
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 16 2024, 06:40 AM) *

Typical 914 swap guy: Uses adjutable wrench as a hammer... av-943.gif

OK, seriously: piratenanner.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

We in the business call them adjustable hammers.
rick 918-S
Nice project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.