Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Parting is such sweet sorrow"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
GTeener
QUOTE (hargray2 @ Jul 13 2005, 01:04 PM)
What does heir burgermeister mean?

Reference to a McMarK comment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jul 13 2005, 02:59 PM)
DAAAAAMNN Clay! ohmy.gif Pretty harsh, don't ya think?

Think of it as an "organ donor program". The metal and mechanical parts of this one car can get mine, and numerous other "cancer victims" happily toolin' down the road again. He obviously doesn't want it, and I for one am glad that he's willing to take the time and effort to part it out, rather than send it to the junkyard/crusher.

Oh, I forgot....you and Scott already have solid running cars. dry.gif

It's only an "organ donor" program if you get the donated organs from people who couldn't live otherwise.

In this case, the car is better than the one I fixed. If he cuts it up, he's a butcher.

There are plenty of rust buckets out there that can be "Organ Donors" to get your car running.

BTW... "I" do not have a running 914. I have one that is close. The other one belongs to my wife. It cost me 12K in paint and body work to fix my 914.

I have practiced what I preach. I am not afraid to put money into a car to keep it on the road, even if I lose money on the deal. jon just wants to make money off this car.....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 13 2005, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 02:02 PM)
He has set an arbitrary time limit, and I can't get to California to get the car. Plus he WANTS to cut it up.  That is evidenced by the price he set.

Yes, I can see cutting up the real rust buckets and using the parts to fix others. But this is NOT a rust bucket. My car was worse than that one when I started fixing it. That car deserves to be fixed, not cut up.

It's hard for anyone from the land of plentiful 914s to understand.

So where do people get parts to fix rustbuckets?

I'm reaching here... OTHER "rust buckets"... like the car we cut up at Larry's... Rusted to the core and coated with fiberglass on every piece... but a few savable sections...

maybe a miniature 914 silent auction for the car? confused24.gif
all us MUSR area guys pitch in $100 to buy it and auction it off at MUSR? confused24.gif

I dunno what the right solution is here... the car deserves to be saved, but it IS jon's car, not mine...

3k DOES seem steep for a car that is going to be cut otherwise, but not OUTRAGOUS, IF it runs/drives...

lapuwali
Hey, at least Jon is parting the car out. There are PLENTY of cars that have simply gone to the crusher because someone couldn't find a buyer, and couldn't hang on to the car anymore. There's a car in SJ now that's been on craigslist for nearly a month, with a $1500 price tag, and no one has stepped up to buy it. It's rusty, but didn't sound any worse than most East Coast cars. It even had a running 2.0 in it with a side-shifter. The car isn't on CL anymore, and I hope it was sold to someone who'll repair it or part it. Otherwise, it probably ended up at a yard, where all or part of it will end up as scrap.

SpecialK
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:02 PM)
He has set an arbitrary time limit, and I can't get to California to get the car. Plus he WANTS to cut it up. That is evidenced by the price he set.

Yes, I can see cutting up the real rust buckets and using the parts to fix others. But this is NOT a rust bucket. My car was worse than that one when I started fixing it. That car deserves to be fixed, not cut up.

The only problem with your logic is that "the real rust buckets" that are "okay" to chop up, are already rusted in the places that every other rust bucket is rusted... huh.gif...yeah, that make sense.

For example....My '75 parts car (rust bucket #1) is absolutely useless for repairing any metal components on my "74 (rust bucket #2), because the components, in this case both suspension consoles and ears, are already rusted pieces of shit on my '75. Therefore, the only way to get "unrusted" components (noted above) to fix my rust bucket #2, is either pay out the ass ($500? - $600?) for repro's, or wait like a circling buzzard in the desert for an unrusted "donor" to drop.......then swoop in for the tasty (read: unrusted) bits I need. chowtime.gif

bondo
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jul 13 2005, 02:07 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 13 2005, 12:55 PM)
It's his car.. he can do what he wants. He's only trying to help us out with parts by posting here.

your right it is his car, and you are wrong he is not trying to help us with parts he is trying to make money... he said that and there is nothing wrong with making money. but the car can be saved easily

as for the cars in the junk yards if they were whole running cars then that was wrong too, but the junk yards dont see these cars like we do.

and bondo if you car ever gets any damage and i mean fixable damage i will volunteer to fly cross country to cut yours up for ya

I know he is cutting it up to make money, but chances are it's to fund his 914. (That's the way I do it anyways) I meant he was posting (and selling) HERE, to help US get parts. He would make more money on ebay.

The trouble with trying to preach tolerance is that you have to tolerate intolerance. I've expressed my view, so now I'm going to shut up and tolerate.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 13 2005, 03:08 PM)
As I understand it, the time limit isn't really arbitrary. It's wife-itary chair.gif and storage-itary biggrin.gif

Then he shouldn't have bought the car in the first place. He could have posted the craigslist link here and someone who would keep the car on the road could have bought it.

Now that he has it and can't keep it, he should offer it to the list for what he paid for it instead of trying to make it a financial windfall.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jul 13 2005, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:02 PM)
He has set an arbitrary time limit, and I can't get to California to get the car. Plus he WANTS to cut it up.  That is evidenced by the price he set.

The only problem with your logic is that "the real rust buckets" that are "okay" to chop up, are already rusted in the places that every other rust bucket is rusted... huh.gif...yeah, that make sense.

For example....My '75 parts car (rust bucket #1) is absolutely useless for repairing any metal components on my "74 (rust bucket #2), because the components, in this case both suspension consoles and ears, are already rusted pieces of shit on my '75. Therefore, the only way to get "unrusted" components (noted above) to fix my rust bucket #2, is either pay out the ass ($500? - $600?) for repro's, or wait like a circling buzzard in the desert for an unrusted "donor" to drop.......then swoop in for the tasty (read: unrusted) bits I need. chowtime.gif

If both your 914s are that bad, then you should buy this one and use the ones you have for parts to fix the fender and front end.

You would get a nice, rust free, running 914 much quicker that way.
GTeener
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:11 PM)
BTW... "I" do not have a running 914. I have one that is close. The other one belongs to my wife.   It cost me 12K in paint and body work to fix my 914.  

I have practiced what I preach. I am not afraid to put money into a car to keep it on the road, even if I lose money on the deal.  jon just wants to make money off this car.....

Dude Clay!

If you are willing to spend $12K on paint & body work, what's another $2-$3K?

Let Jon make his money off you and you can save this car. Have a back-up teener & then we'll wait to see how much money you try to make off this car when you decide to sell it happy11.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 13 2005, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:11 PM)
BTW... "I" do not have a running 914. I have one that is close. The other one belongs to my wife.   It cost me 12K in paint and body work to fix my 914.  

I have practiced what I preach. I am not afraid to put money into a car to keep it on the road, even if I lose money on the deal.  jon just wants to make money off this car.....

Dude Clay!

If you are willing to spend $12K on paint & body work, what's another $2-$3K?

Let Jon make his money off you and you can save this car. Have a back-up teener & then we'll wait to see how much money you try to make off this car happy11.gif

Gwen,

You can talk all you want. I have already put up my money to save a 914 from the crusher and deliver it to a new home where it's loved and cared for.

I didn't do it for the money.

Problem here is I can't get to where the car is in his time limit.

Bottom line here folks. These cars are like homeless animals. If you don't have a place to keep them, don't buy them!!!!!
hargray2
This is exactly what he wanted to happen, otherwise he would have gone straight to the classifieds.
Jenny
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 02:02 PM)
He has set an arbitrary time limit, and I can't get to California to get the car. Plus he WANTS to cut it up. That is evidenced by the price he set.

The price he set (I think) is what he got it for. I don't think Jon's trying to make any money on this deal. And I agree with Gwen. This is time sensitive. He's trying to do something nice for his wife. If he's not giving you enough time to get out to cali, pay the man first, and I'm sure we can work out a storage situation until you can come pick the car up. Calling Jon an outright dhead.gif kinda makes you come across like a dhead.gif , IMHO.

Jen
bondo
Oh yeah, I forgot about the ring thing.
scotty914
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jul 13 2005, 01:15 PM)
Therefore, the only way to get "unrusted" components (noted above) to fix my rust bucket #2, is either pay out the ass ($500? - $600?) for repro's,

sorry the suspention ear is 199 from PP, if you can get it from restoration design direct it would be closer to 150

or you could take your rusty cars and buy this car and have a complete nice car plus the rusty ones to cut up and sell the parts from.

as for my car being called solid.... lets see i have rust in both sail panels, i need a paint job, my interior is only ok, i had door latch rust that i repaired, i had minor long rust i fixed

oh ya my front trunk floor came from a folded car and is only held in with liquid nails.... yup my car is solid
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jul 13 2005, 03:26 PM)
The price he set (I think) is what he got it for. I don't think Jon's trying to make any money on this deal. And I agree with Gwen. This is time sensitive. He's trying to do something nice for his wife. If he's not giving you enough time to get out to cali, pay the man first, and I'm sure we can work out a storage situation until you can come pick the car up. Calling Jon an outright dhead.gif kinda makes you come across like a dhead.gif , IMHO.

Jen

You really don't get it. It's the way he comes arcross in his first post....

I found this car on Craigslist listed as a non-runner with salvage title. After fixing a couple fuel leaks and replacing points, cap and rotor it runs pretty good and according to the DMV they know nothing of it having a salvage title. It's one of those darn rust-free california cars.

And I'm going to chop it to bits. It could be repaired if someone was emotionally attached to it; but I'm not that someone and fixing it would take too much time away from my other projects. One person's loss is everybody else's gain, though. Expect to see pieces of this car in the classifieds very very soon.

This was done not to get interest in selling the car, it was done with the intention of PISSING OFF all the people who are not in the "land of plentiful 914s".

Then he comes back with...

"tick tock tick tock tick tock"

In my opinion, that makes him a dhead.gif
GTeener
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:23 PM)
Problem here is I can't get to where the car is in his time limit.

Bottom line here folks. These cars are like homeless animals. If you don't have a place to keep them, don't buy them!!!!!

None of us keeps these cars on the road as a profitable investment. Lord knows I have way more money in GTEENER than I will ever get back if I sell her.

I'm enjoying this debate philisophically. happy11.gif

Is this really such a black & white issue?

Jon seems like a reasonable guy.

Clay,
How much time do you need?

I haven't seen anyone offer any money for the whole car , nor even suggest a pick-up/delivery extension.

Have you offered to pay him a deposit and negotiate a hand-over?
hargray2
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:32 PM)
It's one of those darn rust-free california cars.

And I'm going to chop it to bits. It could be repaired if someone was emotionally attached to it; but I'm not that someone

One person's loss is everybody else's gain, though.

Yes, the way it is worded really sucks.

BTW- Who's loss?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 12 2005, 09:21 AM)
What do you want for the whole car as is?

(serious offer)

The quote is from the bottom of page #1.

It was promptly ignored.......

He just wants the money from the parts. dhead.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:19 PM)
If both your 914s are that bad, then you should buy this one and use the ones you have for parts to fix the fender and front end.

You would get a nice, rust free, running 914 much quicker that way.

Two out of three of my 914's are shit....the '73 is rock solid and then some (Brad Mayeur outer long stiffeners), but quite a ways from being complete (no FFC for me if I can't get the '74 safe for the road). The '74 is way less of a POS than the '75 (my first purchase before I knew shit about the rust issues these little bastards have headbang.gif ). The '74 has an emaculate interior, a descent running 2.0L, and the body itself is not too bad. So I with a pair of solid suspension consoles and ears, I'll be rockin' aktion035.gif

A pic is worth a thousand words....so find me one of these on one of your "rust buckets that's okay to chop up", and I'll STFU........til then I say chop it up Jon! sawzall-smiley.gif
Jenny
agree.gif with Gwen here. No one has stepped up to the plate to purchase the car in all its glory. Jon's willing to deliver within a 4hr radius. It's easier for him to be rid of the car in one fell swoop, as opposed to hours of back breaking labor and lots of sawzall blades. He originally posted that he's chopping it into bits and pieces, but that didn't deter people from saying the car should be saved. So someone save it already! Jon's not opposed to the idea! But since no one has offered, he will resort to chopping it up.

Those of you that have met & talked to Jon know he has an awesome sense of humor, and is quite whimsical. The
It's one of those darn rust-free california cars.
And I'm going to chop it to bits.
and "tick tocks" are meant to be taken in a humorous fashion, not a fuck-you-and-your-rusty-teeners-I-live-in-California-and-can-chop-up-cars-if-I-feel-like-it fashion. Sheesh!!

Jen
scotty914
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jul 13 2005, 01:26 PM)
The price he set (I think) is what he got it for. I don't think Jon's trying to make any money on this deal. And I agree with Gwen. This is time sensitive. He's trying to do something nice for his wife. If he's not giving you enough time to get out to cali, pay the man first, and I'm sure we can work out a storage situation until you can come pick the car up.
Jen

jon said
Part of this is to help finance a 10 year anniversary band for my wife. I'll forward your proposition to her if I can watch the ensuing cat fight

and jen i met ya and your are nice i am not trying to fight with you but by the quote above he is trying to make money on it. t he should have spent the money on his wife not the car. he bought the car not the gift maybe in the plan to make money to buy the gift

or maybe he bought it and she said NO idea.gif and he was told he had one week to get rid of it and this is his way of getting as much money as he can with as much attention as he can
SpecialK
Sorry about the "Sir Andy" quality photo.....I forgot to hit the macro button. slap.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 02:38 PM)

(serious offer)

Clay:

Jon wrote back:
I'd probably sell the car as-is for $3k but somebody would have to move quick as I need to dispose of it in about a week's time.

(second page, second post down) headbang.gif

He promptly responded. slap.gif

Jen
jonwatts
Ok, I'm back from lunch. Anything happen while I was gone?

GTeener
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:38 PM)

(serious offer)

I think you ignored his answer wink.gif

Posted: Jul 12 2005, 07:38 AM  
I'd probably sell the car as-is for $3k but somebody would have to move quick as I need to dispose of it in about a week's time.

If the club can find a temporary storage home for Andy's 'club racer' for a couple of months, I'm sure the club can also come to the rescue, and hold this car for you or whomever else buys it.

I have no doubt Jon wants to complete the sale, and he has his reasons for his deadline. Regardless of how many parts it takes, he wants to complete the sale.

In fact, I'm thinking it is a whole lot easier for Jon if the car is sold whole wink.gif

phantom914
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jul 13 2005, 01:47 PM)

Somebody was about to post puppy pictures.

Andrew
ClayPerrine
Transfer the suspension, interior and motor from the 74 with the rusty suspension ears to the 73 that has a rock solid chassis.

Now you have a rock solid, running 914.

Joe Bob

You gained weight???
Jenny
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jul 13 2005, 02:48 PM)

Aparently Z's hairy ass works just as well as puppies. wacko.gif Shut everyone up pretty quick.

Scott, he's decided to get rid of the car (in one pieces or a million pieces) to help finance a ring. I haven't talked to him directly about this, but I'd assume this is one of those "I need money to buy something, and let's see what I don't need." A garage sale, if you will. Why is that so wrong? confused24.gif He's not trying to make money by dooping a club member. He's trying to make money as in recoup his loss.

Jen
tat2dphreak
man, I'd like to see all 914s in this kind of shape saved, but that can't be done... at this point, I'm out... no CAR is worth this much arguing...

if it's saved... smilie_pokal.gif great!

if not, I'll buy what I need... just like everyone else.

to be honest, I don't think the 'negotiations' are that far off... 3k for a car that has 4k in parts... 4k for a rust free car to make it to the east coast... where are the people that complain about paying 6k for a rusty POS? and I'm sure jon's price is NOT set in STONE...

I have as much an emotional tie to 914s as anyone, but hey, sometimes you have to give up the 'good' fight... if there is such a thing.

maybe this car WILL get 2-3 or MORE 914s on the road... in that case, cutting it is probably best. I'd love every one of them to be back road worthy... but,it's like a stray dog... I can't take it in, but I don't want to see it put down either...

Allan
givemebeer.gif
phantom914
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jul 13 2005, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jul 13 2005, 02:48 PM)

Aparently Z's hairy ass works just as well as puppies. wacko.gif Shut everyone up pretty quick.

So what's the common denominator? Cuteness or furriness?

Andrew
SpecialK
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 01:48 PM)
Transfer the suspension, interior and motor from the 74 with the rusty suspension ears to the 73 that has a rock solid chassis.

Now you have a rock solid, running 914.

The '73 has flares (in a box in the shed), 911 susp. (in another box in the shed), and cammed/carbed 2.0L (together, but collecting dust on the engine rack)....the '73 is mine. The '74 was supposed to allow me time to complete the '73 at a more leisurely pace, and alleviate my "914 driving jones driving.gif " , until my '73 is put together the way I've got it pictured in my minds eye....Arena Red Metallic w/tan interior, GT flares and bumpers, and 16" 7"x8" BBS's, Carbon Graphite top and one-off CG rockers wub.gif . The '74 will then be passed down to my son for his 18th B-day coming up in about 5 months........this was the plan from the beginning, and he's not letting me back out on it (can't blame him there). So Clay, you're suggestion doesn't get my suspension fixed, or anything on the road any quicker.....Chop it Jon, Chop it sawzall-smiley.gif !
lapuwali
So, this whole "don't buy it if you can't keep it" attitude is, to me, wrong. What if the original seller was prepared to take it to a crusher? Parting even a perfect car is a better deal to me that crushing it. Jon may well be saving it from being crushed.

Clay, if you can't pick it up, then make a deal with someone else to hold it until you can get it. If I had the means to get it, I'd happily park it in front of my house for a week or two until you could come and get it. I don't have the means to get it, so I can't really help.

Someone on this board near John has the means to get it, and perhaps even a place to store it for a short while, I'm certain. So, rather than beat up on Jon, how about asking for some temporary storage here?

Sheesh.

bd1308
what I cant believe is the amount of good parts that get tossed...see this is exactly what happened to me with my pink car....everyone bitched, and when all was said and done....i STILL didn't have a front clip sitting on my front porch. Some people fight over the stupidest crap......my car's internals are pretty bad....the right suspension console is going to hell...and the CHEAPEST I could find a shop to help me replace the parts is $700, which I simply don't have....so come on guys, it's his car, let him do with it what he wants...

ClayPerrine
Look....

It's a free country.

It's jon's decision what he wants to do with the car. He is entitled to that. He found it and he bought it.

I am also entitled to my opinion. I think he is a dhead.gif for buying a 914 in that is in that condition and telling us that he will cut it up.

Jenny, if he meant the comments about the "darn rust free california car" and the "tick tock" stuff as a joke, well, his joke hit a nerve with all the people not in california.

All he succeded in doing was to piss people off.

Special_K. If I were you, I would step up and spend the 400.00 to buy BRAND NEW suspension consoles for the car that my teenage son would be driving. You never know what you are getting with used parts.

ClayPerrine
I am out of here for a while...........

(totally disgusted with this site......)
SpecialK

Nah....just some "Green Peace, Save Willie" style whining. How's that sawzall trigger finger feeling Jon? biggrin.gif [chop-it, chop-it, chop-it]

Oh, see if you can get someone to take some pics of the dissection.....that'll send "someone" right over the edge. happy11.gif
ClayPerrine
FYI... I found the ad on Craigslist.

He bought the car for 900.00. Now he wants 3000.00

Sounds like a dhead.gif to me.
ematulac
unsure.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 02:40 PM)
Special_K. If I were you, I would step up and spend the 400.00 to buy BRAND NEW suspension consoles for the car that my teenage son would be driving. You never know what you are getting with used parts.

Clay, I would never let him drive anything that I wouldn't drive myself. You're there braggin' about spending 12k on getting your tub done.....well, I'm not made of money (yeah, I know, "cheap bastard").

"Step up".....How about "Fuck You!" mad.gif
jonwatts
Hi Clay wavey.gif

Can you show us the Craigslist ad? You can just cut and paste the link into a post if you don't know how to use the "link" feature.

Jenny
even in california, land of the rust free 914, you'd be hard pressed to find a teener in that condition for $900.

Jen
Dead Air
Wanted 914 signed by "Jen"

I don't think it's OUR Jen 'cause I didn't see any puppys or any **%^&#$!! or F*%!!@**. idea.gif
Jenny
Are you accusing me of having a pain30.gif mouth?

Jen

edit: upon closer examination, it's signed by Jens. idea.gif indeed!
Dead Air
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jul 13 2005, 01:42 PM)

"tick tocks" are meant to be taken in a humorous fashion, not a fuck-you-and-your-rusty-teeners-I-live-in-California-and-can-chop-up-cars-if-I-feel-like-it fashion. Sheesh!!

Jen

[QUOTE]

Who Me? confused24.gif wink.gif

People outside the west coast (us) are resentful and frustrated that our cars rust out due to the weather and salt. Not just the teeners, all our cars.
I think we can agree that shipping a car east adds a thousand $ to the price but Capt Tripps shipped Sklines car back from the WCC for (I recollect) more than that. with a busted susp. arm. And the other thing is getting enough time off from work to travel to find a car and make arangements.
IMHO
We don't "blame" you for having nice cars.
Jenny
Oh, yeah. That post. I forgot about that. sad.gif That was me parodying what Clay was thinking.

Jen
anthony
Jon, how many offers to date? It cracks me up that so many people will slave away for months or years on a rust bucket but won't have a 914 shipped back east.

Here's a plan for someone:

Buy this car
Tow it to Los Ponchos in Tiajuana

For a total invested $5500 you'd have a non-rusty 2.0L 914 with fresh paint, a new interior, and a hand stitched leather dash that is worth $7K+.

Here's another plan. Offer Jon $2800, weld on a fender or the free quarter that Craig offered in your garage, do a $300 Maaco paint job, and have a nice cheap autocross car. Cheap fun!

jonwatts
Speaking of Clay, how's it coming with that Craigslist post, buddy? You almost done fabricating one to support your lie?

I'm not calling you out, you called me out and I'm responding.

P.S. - No offers to date for the car. Not even insultingly low ones.
scotty914
okay jon, if clay is not here right now. why dont you post it, or maybe the bill of sale

btw i am not against you making a finders fee, i said that in a post a few pages ago. i dont think 500 bucks is out of line, unless it makes the price out of the market, which in that case you should have not bought it

you would be better off fixing the car for 500, ( high gues for the quarter ) and do a macko paint job and sell it for 6 k or more on ebay

i know you want to get a ring for your wife and i also understand that, but once again if you cant afford to do it with out selling the car you should have not bought it, you should not let these cars get in between you and your life.

take me personally i am broke, my car needs tires and an oil change ( immedate things ) , but i owe too much money other places to do anything more than just drive the car. its bad when the 20 bucks that it would cost for an oil change is more than i can afford to put in to the car right now
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.