Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Parting is such sweet sorrow"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
jonwatts
Ok, here we go...

At the risk of aggravating all the people who are already counting on parts, I'll make the following offer.

I bought the car for $1500, top price for a non-runner with salvage title in my opinion, but I don't buy and sell cars everyday. I want a $500 finder's fee (Scott picked the number and I like it). Not for me, not for my wife, for the guy I bought the car from. He was as honest as he could be in representing the car and even though he seemed ok with selling it he dropped a hint about taking his wife to the hospital and her being flown back east for some kind of special care. I don't know the specifics of her condition but this idea ocurred to me as I was leaving his house with the car and I thought I might be able to make enough to give him $500 since the car appeared to not be a salvage after all. I was going back and forth on whether I would actually do this but now I'm making it public and the board can hold me to it. If anyone wants to make this happen we could handle the $500 through an unbiased third party. There are quite a few members here that are active, have not taken part in this thread and have shown to be beyond reproach.

The only part I was really hoping to keep out of all this is the transmission. I gave mine to Brad to be rebuilt but that was before he got out of 914s. It's been dis-assembled and moved 2 or 3 times since then so it's not like I can just go pick it up. I'm sure he'll get it back to me at some point but I'm not holding him to any particular deadline. I figured I'd get a good used transmission and hold on to the original as a spare.

So there you have it. $2000 and a good used side-shift transmission. The tranny isn't a dealbreaker for me but the $500 is. If people don't feel the car is worth $2000 in it's present state then it will be worth that in parts and I will get a transmission and some nerve damage in my hands for my trouble. Whatever I get above the $2k mark will go to my wife's anniversary band and if (God willing) I make more than that I may actually have a few dollars to put towards my car in the ever-decreasing hopes it's finished by next year's WCC (and maybe now you see where my money-grubbing $3k number came from).

Peace out,

Jon
GTeener
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 13 2005, 11:49 PM)
ok, here's what we should do:

jon will cut the car in half down the center line. the left half of the car stays here at the left coast. the right half of the car will be shipped to the east coast. then we all wait another 30 years. that will settle the eastcoast/westcoast thing once and for all.

beerchug.gif Andy

laugh.gif Sir "King Solomon" Andy. Nice one!
Brad Roberts
Actually.. I have your tranny right here with me. I brought it down with me when I first came down. Few gaskets and I can bring it up with me in the coming weeks. I brought 3 with me. One of them was yours. I need to stop by Black Forest and pick up some individual gaskets.

I havent read through everything, but I'm guessing people where pissy that your where going to cut the car?

B
Mueller
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2005, 09:29 AM)
Actually.. I have your tranny right here with me. I brought it down with me when I first came down. Few gaskets and I can bring it up with me in the coming weeks. I brought 3 with me. One of them was yours. I need to stop by Black Forest and pick up some individual gaskets.

I havent read through everything, but I'm guessing people where pissy that your where going to cut the car?

B

and god forbid that he try to make a little profit at it at the same time.....
Jenny
Alas, the profit nazis have exclaimed "NO PROFIT FOR YOU!!!" (Hehehe, Seinfeld reference)

Jen
URY914
This whole thing is kinda like the Herbie Rides Again movie. See the movie and you'll understand.

Lonely, unloved 914, is sold by mean used car salesman to a nice sweet (smokin')girl who falls in love with it. wub.gif And it wins a NASCAR race. smilie_pokal.gif

Paul
GTeener
Where's Mer? Carl? Mer needs her own 914 and this one is close to home biggrin.gif

It's better than a roller. It runs!

Great starter car for $2,500!

Keep it whole poke.gif

Or not happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
Newsbreak:

*Some* 914 people want everything for free. 100 people will say they want the whole car and 99.5 of them will back out when it comes time to exchange money/title. This is just the law of the land when it comes to used cars/parts. Not just 914's. I cant count how many times people pissed and moaned when we cut up a semi decent tub... I always responded.. then BUY IT. By them all up and store them.

B
bondo
I wonder how much money I could make buying 914s in CA and shipping them to the east coast... Any east coasters want to be the seller on that end? smile.gif
jonwatts
Hey Brad,

I wasn't calling you out about the tranny, we haven't talked in a while and you're obviously busy. And it's not like I need it right now! I still have your dummy tranny which is a lot easier to move around cuz it's so lite.

Bondo, are you joking? Read Brad's last reply, he's absolutely right. When it's time to move all you can hear are crickets chirping in the distance.

Jon

ClayPerrine
Ok. Here is what happened with the cragislist ad.

I found what I thought was the ad from craigslist. I was wrong. I had the wrong city. As for my opinion about this whole mess.. it has not changed one iota.

I am entitled to my opinion.

Jon is entitled to do what he wants with the car.

We may not agree, and I may call him nasty names in the process, but I will defend his right to do what he wants with his property.

Jenny... I am not a liar, and I do not appreciate being called one. If I am wrong about something, I will admit it (see above).

Mark. You have no business stating that I will not put my money where my mouth is. I have a garage and attic full of 914 parts. I regularly give them away to people who need them more than I do. I also buy 914s that otherwise would be scrapped. I have done this twice, and I was going to do it a third time when Jason Fox bought the car before I could. I am glad it went to a good home.

If you don't believe me, ask around... try talking to Perry Kiehl.

As for this thread... I am not going to respond to it anymore. I am angry about the fact that this nice 914 will be cut up for parts. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it, other than buy the car. I can afford to do that, but due to work commitments, I cannot get to California to pick the car up.

As for the reason I have not posted, I was way too angry to make any kind of a rational post. So rather than do something stupid, I absented myself from the board.

I need a break. I will be back later, just don't expect to see me on here for a few days.

Oh and Jon... If you reread your first post, you will see how the wording would anger the folks in the rust belt. I suspect that you are not one in person, but that post really made you come across as an asshole.

jonwatts
Please post the link to the mistaken Craigslist ad.

Thanks,

Jon
jimkelly
Can it be driven from west coast to east coast ? driving.gif

I send you an email as well. type.gif

You should see what I paid $1500 for only 30 days ago wink.gif

Jim
fatlando
This thread needs to end! I can't get any work done over here....this so beats reality tv! and it's free with no commercials! biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jul 14 2005, 12:59 PM)
This thread needs to end! I can't get any work done over here....this so beats reality tv! and it's free with no commercials! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 14 2005, 10:44 AM)
Jenny... I am not a liar, and I do not appreciate being called one. If I am wrong about something, I will admit it

I never called you a liar. I wouldn't have the audacity to be so presumptuous. Go ahead, quote where I called you a liar.

Jen

edit: I don't appreciate you accusing me of calling you a liar. huh.gif
bondo
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jul 14 2005, 10:34 AM)

Bondo, are you joking? Read Brad's last reply, he's absolutely right. When it's time to move all you can hear are crickets chirping in the distance.

Jon

Hehe, well people over there buy rustbuckets for too much money all the time. I think the crickets chirping problem is mostly from people who already have 914s that just don't want to see one cut up, or from people who need one but don't want to deal with buying sight unseen and shipping. It seems like someone in CA could buy rust free 914s, and ship them to the east coast. Someone could then sell them there, without the sight unseen/shipping problem. So in that sense I wasn't joking...

But for the record, as far as my personal involvement in such a setup, I was joking. I don't have the time or money to start up something like that.
Brad Roberts
Bondo,

I had cars located and a transporter setup many moons ago to deliver car all across the "rust belt". When it came time to collect money for the cars... NADA. Nothing but bullshit excuses. I had ONE person buy a tub which I hand delivered myself to Indiana.

They piss and moan.. but wont do anything about it. Promise. I have 17 years of info to back this up.

I personally find it VERY easy to bitch about something and do NOTHING about it. The issue is the shipping of the tub. Not the intial purchase. People dont want to pay $1000-2000 for a car and THEN pay another 1k to have it shipped.

B
jonwatts
I think if such a plan were to work it would have to be driven by someone on the east coast who knows the market there and has shipping connections. We don't know the market there apart from what we see on websites. The east coast money man needs a west coast agent he trusts to pick and choose cars for him/her.

This is how it has worked in other situations like with antiques coming to the U.S. from Europe and I think it could work for moving cars east from west, not just 914s.

Just my greedy 2 cents,

Jon
phantom914
Cool. The Ft. Lauderdale car even has the rare six speed. We don't even have those in California. biggrin.gif

Andrew
bondo
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jul 14 2005, 11:39 AM)
Cool. The Ft. Lauderdale car even has the rare six speed. We don't even have those in California. biggrin.gif

Andrew

Sure we do.. speed doesn't account for direction, but velocity does... so I guess that means we get to count reverse! smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jul 14 2005, 01:39 PM)

Andrew

OMFG! it's #6! w00t.gif
jimkelly
Can anyone store this car for a few months if someone wink.gif on the east coast buys it ?

$200000 who can resist.

I really like to fly out and drive it home - but it would need lights at least.

Jim
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 14 2005, 01:52 PM)
Can anyone store this car for a few months if someone wink.gif on the east coast buys it ?

$2000 who can resist.

Jim

smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif mueba.gif

yea Jim!
GTeener
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 14 2005, 10:52 AM)

$200000 who can resist.

Jim

Dude! For $200K I bet Jon could sweet talk his wife into letting him store it a little longer biggrin.gif

Heck! I bet he'd even get the lights working for ya wink.gif
jimkelly
Funny thing - a decimel point is biggrin.gif

I dug out my recent credit card statements and to my suprise I found that within both statements were low interest checks specifically designed for buying 914's biggrin.gif

If I had a place to hide it from the wife - hum - I mean store it until I can fly out - my excuses would be -- practically -- eliminated.

Jim
rhodyguy
i say end the madness and part the thing out. many more cars and owners will benefit. i see more money in parts, than as a whole car. take the money and run jon.

k
Brad Roberts
Kevin,

You sound like you speak from experience. wink.gif

B
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 13 2005, 02:41 PM)
I am out of here for a while...........

(totally disgusted with this site......)

Disgusted?

As in someone who lives IN texas and,
who has NEVER met jon, or who has NEVER talked to jon,

yet makes his *opinions* seem like fact, facts that should determine how
jon conducts his life & 914 business???? unsure.gif confused24.gif

Clay that same 'free world' that enables you to share your, umm, opinions,
lets jon do whatever the F#ck he wants with THIS/HIS 914
anthony
At the new BIN price, someone please buy it and start showing up at local autocrosses. We need more 914 attendance.
jimkelly
I really need to move out to CA - if I only had marketable skills sad.gif

I am about to pul the plug but I could easily understand Jon's initial concept of parting out the car as it is worth more in pieces. His car is far from complete - Jon could sure use some visitors with parts and tools in hand pray.gif

Can anyone store this bad boy if I buy it?

Jim
GTeener
Red State vs Blue State interpretation of 'our' Capitalist Democracy? happy11.gif

Jon, you WILL sell this car in one piece for no more than $500 profit for the safety and benefit our fine 914 community. wink.gif

Don't be a 914 terrorist!
GTeener
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 14 2005, 12:25 PM)

Jim

I live within 25 miles of Jon.

How long do you need it stored?
jonwatts
If we part this car out then the periodic table will have already won.

Thanks to Gwen for the terrorism bend.

jimkelly
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 14 2005, 12:35 PM)

Jim

GTeener - I guess 2 months - thank you for the offer - Jim

I suppose I would like an confirmation the damage does not effect front suspension - maybe Jon could post a few more pics of the damaged area from various angles - and acquire a clear title for it?

tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif

a happy ending is in sight!! a good one saved...

I love it when a plan comes together
GTeener
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 14 2005, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 14 2005, 12:35 PM)

Jim

GTeener - I guess 2 months - thank you for the offer - Jim

I suppose I would like an confirmation the damage does not effect front suspension - maybe Jon could post a few more pics of the damaged area from various angles - and acquire a clear title for it?

Jim, I don't have covered storage but I can put a cover over the car.

I'd be OK with having this car parked at my house for 1-3 months.
SpecialK
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 14 2005, 01:10 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif

....and 10 other 914's sit rusting. dry.gif
Allan
There goes my bumper... wink.gif
GTeener
The check has to clear first ya'll wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jul 14 2005, 04:22 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif

if rust-free teeners are falling out of palm trees in Ca, and they are being stacked... I'd BET that someone would be willing to find some important parts, and charge a 'finder's fee' ... like the ones you need and cut that out of a junk-yard teener... and there are still cars being cut up... I'm sure one would have your part, man!
SpecialK
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 14 2005, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jul 14 2005, 04:22 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif

if rust-free teeners are falling out of palm trees in Ca, and they are being stacked... I'd BET that someone would be willing to find some important parts, and charge a 'finder's fee' ... like the ones you need and cut that out of a junk-yard teener... and there are still cars being cut up... I'm sure one would have your part, man!

Good idea Wayne.....I'll put my add in the classified section (again), and see how many responses I get. I personally don't care if they (the needed parts) come from Jon's 914 or not. He was offering to make the car a donor, so I jumped on the of recipients list.

With the exception of Paul (URY914) beer.gif , all of the people that offered up sheetmetal parts, and said "it's yours Kev!", never came through....then completely ignored my PM's. dry.gif
jonwatts
Hold on to those winning tickets, folks. This isn't over yet.

There are complications. Are you surprised?

Jon
Verruckt
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2005, 12:19 PM)

I had cars located and a transporter setup many moons ago to deliver car all across the "rust belt". When it came time to collect money for the cars... NADA. Nothing but bullshit excuses. I had ONE person buy a tub which I hand delivered myself to Indiana.

B

Sorry to threadjack...

Brad

when was this?!?!?! Was this before summer of last year? Or before I became a member? I remember some talk about something similar to this, I think it was tad2phreak and a few of us that talked about this.

Oh well, I can't complain, I finally found a car. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. tongue.gif
olav
drunk.gif
jimkelly
I have a concern that the damage may effect the suspension - that the title is in question - I wanted to drive cross country but Jon prefers that I live a long life : ). Jon is gonna look at the damagein semi depth and provide more pics. I know I am missing a few points. I - in the meanwhile have begun looking for transport. Here is what I have found so far. Any offers to fix her up so that I can drive her across the prairies and what not would be welcome but transit does not too bad.
--
Description:
Rate is for standard vehicle pick up: - This is an industry standard 1-8 business day pickup price. Transport is door to door, and fully insured. No charges are made until confirmation of scheduled pickup. Have a question? We have the answers. Give us a call 954-921-1480 Price: $1,030.00

Description:
Enclosed Shipping Service: - Enclosed service offers our customers both the benefits of fully protected transports, as well as a (usually)faster pickup and delivery. Weather becomes a non-factor, as mother nature cannot touch your vehicles. This service is recommended for classic, and high end cars. Service is door to door, and fully insured. No charges are made until confirmation of scheduled pickup. Have a question? We have the answers. Give us a call 954-921-1480 Price: $1,380.00

Description:
Express Shipping Service: - Express shipping gives you the quickest service in the industry, pickups (normally) in 1-3 business days. As well as your choice of top or bottom load on the carrier.In some instances, your vehicle may be shipped enclosed as an added benefit. Service is door to door, and fully insured. No charges are made until confirmation of scheduled pickup. Have a question? We have the answers. Give us a call 954-921-1480 Price: $1,550.00
--
TOP SHIPPING AFFILIATES

CONTACT SHIPPERS
Americas Choice Auto Movers 888-564-0164
1st Choice Shipping 800-747-1095
AAALL States Auto Transport 866-357-9994
American Auto Reloc. Pros 516-922-2248
Bravo Auto Transport 866-792-1410
Dependable Auto Movers 877-209-8833
Fleet United Auto Transport 866-921-1480
AAA, Inc. 800-800-6831 ext 103
Hilton Auto Transport 888-318-0080
AAA Automovers.com 877-744-7489
Able Auto Movers 800-340-0951
--
Your personal quote for the route of san jose, CA Insert Origin Zip to sterling, VA Insert Origin Zip will be an estimated cost to you at $915.00. We will pick up your car at home! Terminal to Terminal, Terminal to Door, Door to Terminal, and SEASONAL VACATIONERS ARE OUR SPECIALTY!
--
The price to ship your running vehicle door-to-door is $975.00
including Cargo Insurance and all taxes on one of our open transport trucks.
--
Mueller
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 14 2005, 12:20 PM)
Funny thing - a decimel point is biggrin.gif

I dug out my recent credit card statements and to my suprise I found that within both statements were low interest checks specifically designed for buying 914's biggrin.gif

If I had a place to hide it from the wife - hum - I mean store it until I can fly out - my excuses would be -- practically -- eliminated.

Jim

you are kidding correct??

you are 2852.6 miles one way....I wouldn't trust a car that has just started up for the 1st time in 3 years to a drive like that...the tires have got to be $hit, the fuel lines full of slime and just hours or minutes away from leaking and spraying fuel all over....

hope you have life insurance and Jon has a good Bill of Sale and Release of Liability

Brad

when was this?!?!?! Was this before summer of last year? Or before I became a member? I remember some talk about something similar to this, I think it was tad2phreak and a few of us that talked about this.

I think he gave up on it at about that time or a little bit before it.....we had like 5 tubs ready to go...a few in great shape, but not able to pass smog on a few of them (at that time you still had to smog '74 chassis)

jimkelly
Oops - one more.
--
Description:Basic rate is for standard vehicle pick up from door to door. Approximate pick up time is 7 to 10 days. Shipping times depend on route. Contact 866-959-2727 for additional information or e-mail info@asapautoshipping.com Price: $908.00

Description: Speedy Pick Up rate is for industry standard vehicle pick up from door to door. Approximate pick up time is 1 to 3 business days. Shipping times depend on route. Contact 866-959-2727 for additional information or e-mail info@asapautoshipping.com Price: $1,108.00

Description: Enclosed rate is for industry standard vehicle pick up from door to door. Approximate pick up time is 7 to 10 business days. Shipping times depend on route.
Contact 866-959-2727 for additional information or e-mail info@asapautoshipping.com Price: $1,654.00
Mueller
smart man....getting it transported is good idea.....

oh yea, I'd ask for referances if you can on the transporting companies....a few horror stories have been posted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.