Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Parting is such sweet sorrow"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
lapuwali
On transport, I've done this a LOT recently. Most of the people you call are brokers, and they just have independent contractors actually move the cars around.

I've had excellent luck three times with Kiwi Karriers, who are a broker, in moving three cars up and down CA and from CA to NJ. I had three different contractors actually moving the cars. I've recently dealt with another company (not my idea), and the driver was an incompetent boob who couldn't be trusted to even get the car on and off the trailer safely.

The open transport is, IMHO, plenty sufficient. Most of the places will charge about $900 to move the car from CA to the middle of the country, and about $1500 to move it from CA to the East Coast. Enclosed transport is for garage queens that cost real money (>$20K).

jimkelly
I jus did a quick search on the internet and requested a bunch of quotes from the first auto transport websites that came up. Thanks for the ball park estimates. Jim

here is another.

Door to Door with One Truckā€¦
Your Negotiable Quote: $925.00 Open Trailer
Or Enclosed: $ 1650.00
Please Call for a Live Quote 866-561-4820
We Will Match Any Quote!
Mueller
and the driver was an incompetent boob who couldn't be trusted to even get the car on and off the trailer safely

yep....my mother-in-law just had a car deliverd here from TX, transporter shows up 2 days late at 1am on a weekday ...she made some new friends on the street that night !!!!!

then proceded to drive the car off the side of the ramp, car had like 20 miles on it and already had $1500 worth of chassis damage before it got into thier garage....

GTeener
What about U-haul?

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport

You wanted to drive cross-country right?

Just an idea...
boxstr
I have a car that has been sitting around, it has 33000 miles but it should be okay to cut the front quarter off of.
If someone wants the quarter its yours as long as you repair the car that Jon is offering.
CUTEMDONTDRIVEEM
lapuwali
QUOTE (GTeener @ Jul 14 2005, 03:34 PM)
What about U-haul?

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport

You wanted to drive cross-country right?

Just an idea...

By the time you rent a car trailer (3000lbs), and a truck hefty enough to tow it and the car, and put gas in it for 2500 miles of driving, you'll find it's cheaper to just pay the transport company to deliver it for you. They split the gas costs across a good number of short to medium runs to make up for the long hauls, and usually carry 2 to 3 cars on each long distance trip.

I just did the math on trying to get the blown-up Jag I was driving from MO to CA...

bondo
I don't know what CptTripps paid or who he went through, but when I dropped off Adobe to be shipped off to Ohio, it went into an enclosed Mayflower trailer. I don't know if it was later transferred to an open or what.
ematulac
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jul 14 2005, 04:41 PM)
I have a car that has been sitting around, it has 33000 miles but it should be okay to cut the front quarter off of.
If someone wants the quarter its yours as long as you repair the car that Jon is offering.
CUTEMDONTDRIVEEM

laugh.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jul 14 2005, 03:41 PM)
CUTEMDONTDRIVEEM

This is the second time in a few days I've seen a 914 with those ATS/Campagnolo/Daytona style wheels. I've always liked those wheels on Italian cars, and had no idea they ever came in the 4x130mm pattern for VW/Porsche use. Who makes those wheels, and what size are they?

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jul 14 2005, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Jul 14 2005, 12:19 PM)

I had cars located and a transporter setup many moons ago to deliver car all across the "rust belt". When it came time to collect money for the cars... NADA. Nothing but bullshit excuses. I had ONE person buy a tub which I hand delivered myself to Indiana.

B

Sorry to threadjack...

Brad

when was this?!?!?! Was this before summer of last year? Or before I became a member? I remember some talk about something similar to this, I think it was tad2phreak and a few of us that talked about this.

Oh well, I can't complain, I finally found a car. I'm always a day late and a dollar short. tongue.gif

about 1.5 years ago, give or take, Brad offered to deliver rust free cars to east coasters... it was an EXTREMELY generous offer, Brad was going to make NO money (or VERY little at best) on the deal and do it on his time... I don't know what happened after that really, but let's just say it was another case of Brad's generosity and passion for P-Cars was met in ungracious manners... I don't know the story... I don't presume to know the story, all I know is that brad wouldn't do it anymore... and I don't blame him, the thing just didn't take off like it should have

Brad, jump in if I forgot anything... I HAVE slepts some since then, and May have forgotten things....

I tried to get with Brad for a friend even... this friend has wanted a 911 for years, and everytime I find him a GOOD 911, it's either too far, too much $$, or, if those 2 excuses fall through, his wife just won't let him (reminds me, can we get a 'PW' smiley?) but as usual my friend backed out... I've quit looking for him one since then... that's another story I basically reached the END with him when I found him a SWEET 87 911, for around 15k... nothing wrong with it... and it was local, and 'his wife wouldn't "let" him'

hijacked.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jul 14 2005, 04:41 PM)
CUTEMDONTDRIVEEM

GAWD Craig! you gotta be doin' that facetious thing again, right?

Yer kill'n me here. smash.gif

.........b

Porsche Rescue
James, those wheels on the phoenix red car (was once mine, sold it to Craig in order to buy Eric Shea's six) are made by ATS. They are available now and again on Ebay. They seem to sell for about the same price as 2.0 Fuchs. They are 5.5 x 15. Often the center is painted black. I too think they really look good on a 914.
rhodyguy
ya think there might be some tweeking to the tub? rolleyes.gif i do believe you should part out that red car craig. so... jon's car for 2 and then shipping you're close to 3 for a TOTAL sitting in the driveway. then FIX it!! jon, make who ever buys it as a "fixer" sign a contract that under no circumstances will it be parted out. in fact, better put on a frame jig first. wacko.gif i sent you a long ramblin' pm brad. hope yours isn't turned off.

k

scotty914
well i got to work for 18 hours and look what happens

jon the number i came up with of 500 finders fee, i feel is reasonable for what you have in it for towing, getting it running etc. it was not a statement of me saying what you can make on it, it was what "I" felt is fair to you and the buyer. if i could buy decent cars and get them running i would feel for me 500 is fair for a day of work

i am glad you decided to come clean as for what you really paid for it, and clay i am glad you admitted you were wrong. both of you just grew up... now it is my turn... not

jim if you get the car let me know i can come help

and jon again it is very big of you to send the extra money to the po, and if you did part it you probably would be kicking your self for the extra work

now if people need metal that i can get just let me know

jimkelly
I just emailed Jon - I had to pass on the excellent offer. My wife would kill me being the first reason and the damage - although not insurmountable by any means is well beyond anything I have ever contended with. I guess it is best to let Jon get on with it and let everyone get their DIBS - Jim
rhodyguy
buy sawsall blades by the large mutipack at homedespot. sawzall-smiley.gif i can only imagine there will be 500 pms in jon's in box when the round 1 bell goes DING!!!

k
GTeener
Like it's been said...it taint over till the $$$ is in Jon's bank account happy11.gif

For the record, my 3 month storage offer still stands for anyone east of the Sierras who buys the whole car. smile.gif
SLITS
Well, let's see......I'm gonna cut up two..a '72 & '73 and maybe a '74 unless I have it towed to the scrap yard.......Do I qualify for the flame war?

I'll cut up a '75 2.0, but I haven't bought it yet.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 15 2005, 11:29 AM)
Well, let's see......I'm gonna cut up two..a '72 & '73 and maybe a '74 unless I have it towed to the scrap yard.......Do I qualify for the flame war?

are they rust-free runners, start up another threaad and we'll see what we can do smile.gif

beer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 15 2005, 09:29 AM)

only if they are repaints with a salvage title and damaged bodywork do people care smile.gif
cooltimes
Of course what anyone does with their 914 is their own concern but just so many 914's are left and cutting up one that someone could repair and get back on the road is pathetic. Parting one out only adds those pieces to a list of excessive scavanged parts everyone else seems to have in their attics, storage spaces and backyards.
I don't have the money myself, just the 914 passion but a few have expressed their interest. If you truly love the 914 cars, you won't cut it up until that is a last resort. From the photo I saw, this one is far from that condition.
This is just my opinion since this bbs is about one thing only. The 914.

BTW. Clay Perrine said it right. He and others gave me my 1975 914.
It was going to be a junk yard dog but they brought it to me instead. I enjoy it very much.
Thanks all.
http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/dusty1.jpg

Mike Cooley
Memphis

Mueller
QUOTE (cooltimes @ Jul 15 2005, 11:35 AM)
Of course what anyone does with their 914 is their own concern but just so many 914's are left and cutting up one that someone could repair and get back on the road is pathetic. Parting one out only adds those pieces to a list of excessive scavanged parts everyone else seems to have in their attics, storage spaces and backyards.
I don't have the money myself, just the 914 passion but a few have expressed their interest. If you truly love the 914 cars, you won't cut it up until that is a last resort. From the photo I saw, this one is far from that condition.
This is just my opinion since this bbs is about one thing only. The 914.

BTW. Clay Perrine said it right. He and others gave me my 1975 914.
It was going to be a junk yard dog but they brought it to me instead. I enjoy it very much.
Thanks all.
http://members.rennlist.com/mikecool/dusty1.jpg

Mike Cooley
Memphis

Hey Mike, good to see you posting again....

Yes, it would be nice to "save" as many 914's as possible, but I often wonder what happens to them if "saved" for too long smile.gif

user posted image
user posted image

This guy might have had good intentions years ago, but without $$$$ they cannot survive time and nature sad.gif
cooltimes
From those photos seen, looks like someone must have felt the need to part them out like this thread is about. LOL

BTW. that dash cover you sent me for my 914 looks good. Thanks.

Mike Cooley
Memphis
dakotaewing
Jon,
This is what I need -
Thanks-
Thom
rhodyguy
what's the deal? dry.gif wasn't this one locked down? i think a reply i made has been edited out unsure.gif . it wasn't a flame job either. who's the keymaster? cool_shades.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.