Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Parting is such sweet sorrow"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
jonwatts
I found this car on Craigslist listed as a non-runner with salvage title. After fixing a couple fuel leaks and replacing points, cap and rotor it runs pretty good and according to the DMV they know nothing of it having a salvage title. It's one of those darn rust-free california cars.

And I'm going to chop it to bits. It could be repaired if someone was emotionally attached to it; but I'm not that someone and fixing it would take too much time away from my other projects. One person's loss is everybody else's gain, though. Expect to see pieces of this car in the classifieds very very soon.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

biggrin.gif
SpecialK
Don't do it man!! ohmy.gif

That's waaaay to nice to go under the sawzall-smiley.gif blade

[But dibs on the suspension consoles/ears if you can't be convinced otherwise wink.gif ]
bd1308
the guage pretty pretty pretty please?????
dakotaewing
Dibs on the rear trunk floor....
Yes, I mean it.... ar15.gif

Thom
pastordavid
Darn, it's got the same problem mine has - right front...

David

bd1308 - don't happen to be able to help me out, maybe, i hope, please, right front fender and front cross piece?
grasshopper
ohmy.gif DONT DO IT!! thats a beautiful car!!(but if you do,i call front trunk floor!)
grasshopper
oh! and the fog light switch!
mikerose
O my eyes look at all the rust. John Please just cut it up sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif

Mike cool_shades.gif
Gary
Not sure I get parting it either - terminal rust issues?

If you do and the windshield and targa trim pieces are in good shape, I'm interested.
rhodyguy
L96D paint code? if so, i need the front hood. need to figure transport. how is the windshield?

k
tat2dphreak
ohmy.gif sad.gif

that car doesn't look bad enough to go under the blade.

I need some sheet metal off the firewall (passenger bottom corner if possible) and I'll take the other 2 light switches(haz and headlights)

does it have polished fuchs? I may not be able to get them(bidding on a house), but when you decide on a price, I'd like first shot...
Bleyseng
Bruce albert needs a running 2.0L BAD!
jonwatts
YES, these are the responses I wanted to hear. Circle around you vulchers, circle around laugh.gif

Attention people who want sheet metal: Please get me a picture of what you need, preferrably with arrows and outlines like this...

user posted image

I want to make sure you get what you need and don't pay shipping on what you don't.

Jon
bondo
If it's not going to set me back a mint, I'd like that steering wheel. It's leather right? I was going to put an aftermarket leather cover on mine, but this would save me the trouble. driving.gif

Does it by any chance have a rear sway bar? I need the drop links.
bondo
Is it really a 73? (74 rear bumper) If so, it'd be nice to have a good version of the "right" wiring harness for my car. If it would save me money I may be able to come up and help pull it.
boxstr
Jon How about I send you a right front quarter and you have it fixed. I know the car, it was that much $$.
CCLINFIXEMDONTCUTEM
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jul 12 2005, 09:52 AM)
Jon How about I send you a right front quarter and you have it fixed. I know the car, it was that much $$.
CCLINFIXEMDONTCUTEM

agree.gif

what he said... plus tax!

save the car! it may not be #4, but it deserves better than that...
jimkelly
aside from thje questionable title - fix it - front sections are available all over the place. It looks like a beautiful car. How much for the whole thing as is? Then sell it as a whole car. driving.gif
Bruce Allert
Hey Jon, what's that engine worth to ya? Like Geoff said, I need one bad... gots knockin probs! sad.gif

......b
ClayPerrine
What do you want for the whole car as is?

(serious offer)
jonwatts
L96D paint code? if so, i need the front hood. need to figure transport. how is the windshield?

Yes this was originally a L96D color car. Apparently the original owner had it repainted a '76 911 color which is the sea-foam green you see in the pictures.

The windshield has some fish-eyes. I'd need to clean it to see if it's pitted or scratched.

does it have polished fuchs? I may not be able to get them(bidding on a house)

Not polished, just the stock finish. But I've been thinking of trying out polishing idea.gif
Good luck on the house (and no, I'm not just brown-nosing a potential parts buyer laugh.gif)

If it's not going to set me back a mint, I'd like that steering wheel. It's leather right?

Since we don't have a Dr. Evil smiley I guess it won't cost you ONE MILLION DOLLARS! How does $60 sound? confused24.gif

Does it by any chance have a rear sway bar? I need the drop links.

It had a rear sway bar but it's not on the car, sorry.

Is it really a 73? (74 rear bumper)

It's a late '73 so it has a few things seen on '74 cars (like doors with side impact beams sad.gif )

If so, it'd be nice to have a good version of the "right" wiring harness for my car. If it would save me money I may be able to come up and help pull it.

We'll have to see how good the wiring harness is. The original owner was definitely in there but so far everything he did looks good (oil press and temp gauge, fuel gauge in the center console).

I don't figure any kind of labor charge into parts prices. I know my time isn't worth anything laugh.gif

jonwatts

The PO actually got a replacement front fender which he gave to me, it's in a box. However, the damage got into the inner fender so Craig is right, it needs a front quarter. I don't think it compromised the front suspension at all. Still definitely savable.

What do you want for the whole car as is?

I'd probably sell the car as-is for $3k but somebody would have to move quick as I need to dispose of it in about a week's time.
mudfoot76
Does it have SSI heat exchangers? IF so, I am interested (if you are still parting out the car...) that combo gauge in the dash is mighty nice too idea.gif

IF you are still parting it out (save it if you can!!)
Jenny
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jul 12 2005, 08:38 AM)
I'd probably sell the car as-is for $3k but somebody would have to move quick as I need to dispose of it in about a week's time.

Do you anticipate being able to part the car in a week's time? Don't you have a day job? Keep in mind most people will need the items shipped to them. Better just let me have at the car and be done with it. wink.gif

Seriously, I need cosmetic stuff. Carpet (if it's still salvagable), 914 2.0 badge, tail lights, the black and red fresh air blower knobbies, antenna and other various small knick knacks I can't recall at this time.

Oh, and do you have the front bumper? Chrome?

Jen

*Okay, so the list is getting longer as I go back and pick over the picture. Sorry. Maybe not all cosmetic, and definitely not all small items.
jonwatts
Does it have SSI heat exchangers? IF so, I am interested (if you are still parting out the car...) that combo gauge in the dash is mighty nice too

Not SSI's, factory heat exchangers and whoever takes the engine has first dibs on anything attached to it.

There's a whole deal going on with the gauges that I'll explain later.

Do you anticipate being able to part the car in a week's time? Don't you have a day job? Keep in mind most people will need the items shipped to them. Better just let me have at the car and be done with it.

Part of this is to help finance a 10 year anniversary band for my wife. I'll forward your proposition to her if I can watch the ensuing cat fight rolleyes.gif

Hopefully I can have it mostly parted out in a week. Yes I do have a day job, which I'm currently late for. I'll be off-line for a few hours until I get into work.

Thanks carrion peeps
AndyC
As always I am after this piece including the bottom 3 inches of the windshield frame if it is not full of rust, I don't mind if it is cut up into sections for ease of shipping. Let me know a price

Allan
I recommend really trying to sell the whole car so someone can fix it but, DIBS on the rear bumper. wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
I agree don't part it, But.............................. If you do I would like to know how much for the chrome trim on sail panels and and across the top of the tagra bar if they are very good condition.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Jul 12 2005, 11:31 AM)
I agree don't part it, But.............................. If you do I would like to know how much for the chrome trim on sail panels and and across the top of the tagra bar if they are very good condition.

DAMN! I knew I was forgetting something that someone was going to snatch right up!

wink.gif
I still vote for sell it as a whole... put another rust-free car in another part of the US! (or canada)
jonwatts
Of course I'll take offers for the car seriously, if I get any serious offers. Unfortunately it almost never works that way. That's why wanting isn't the same as doing. The serious offers are for the parts, those almost always come through.

Just to sweeten the pot I'll even deliver it within a 4 hour radius of San Jose, CA this weekend for the price I mentioned.

Jon
Gary
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Jul 12 2005, 09:31 AM)

I think I have dibs... if he parts it.
jonwatts
QUOTE (Gary @ Jul 12 2005, 11:07 AM)

You are correct, sir!

bd1308
QUOTE (pastordavid @ Jul 12 2005, 06:30 AM)
Darn, it's got the same problem mine has - right front...

David

bd1308 - don't happen to be able to help me out, maybe, i hope, please, right front fender and front cross piece?

pm me a pic....
bd1308
dibs on teh battery tray and hell hole replacement....and down.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Gary @ Jul 12 2005, 10:07 AM)

well in case you pass on them, just getting my name on the list. beer.gif
bondo
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jul 12 2005, 08:31 AM)

If it's not going to set me back a mint, I'd like that steering wheel. It's leather right?

Since we don't have a Dr. Evil smiley I guess it won't cost you ONE MILLION DOLLARS! How does $60 sound? confused24.gif

I think I can swing that.. I'll send jeff to pick stuff up once it's figured out what all the stuff is. I remebered I also need the defroster vents and the floor/side air diverting valves. I'd like to get the wiring harness in one piece, which isn't easy, which is one reason I was offering to come up and help.. but I definitely can't do it within a week.
tdgray
Aw come on guys.... there has to SOMEONE that wants this thing.

Shit, my car is twice that bad and I saved it. huh.gif

mad.gif Man are you guys freakin spoiled mad.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (tdgray @ Jul 12 2005, 02:25 PM)
Aw come on guys.... there has to SOMEONE that wants this thing.

Shit, my car is twice that bad and I saved it. huh.gif

mad.gif Man are you guys freakin spoiled mad.gif

agree.gif

east coasters need to step up! you are always complaining that there isn't any rust free cars... here's your chance to save one... 3k for the car, 2k for shipping, for 5k you'd have a better starter car than a lot of projects, including mine, when it started out!
jonwatts
bondo, I can get the harness out in one piece, I've done it before. Never put one in tho biggrin.gif
We'll work out something agreeable for everything you need, just don't have Jeff beat me up again, that guy is ruthless laugh.gif

tdgray, this car is nicer than mine too! But I'm too far into my project to start over. screwy.gif

Jon

bondo
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jul 12 2005, 12:32 PM)
bondo, I can get the harness out in one piece, I've done it before. Never put one in tho biggrin.gif
We'll work out something agreeable for everything you need, just don't have Jeff beat me up again, that guy is ruthless laugh.gif

tdgray, this car is nicer than mine too! But I'm too far into my project to start over. screwy.gif

Jon

Cool. I'll try and think of more of the little things I need.

I like to think of parting a car as saving many, not not saving one. sawzall-smiley.gif
redshift
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 12 2005, 03:40 PM)

I like to think of parting a car as saving many, not not saving one. sawzall-smiley.gif

Carmunist.

M
anthony
Hey Jon, if it does get cut up I'm interested in the center console if there are no splits in the seams or cigarette burn marks and the complete targa top.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 12 2005, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 12 2005, 03:40 PM)

I like to think of parting a car as saving many, not not saving one.  :sawzall:

Carmunist.

M

laugh.gif lol2.gif agree.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (anthony @ Jul 12 2005, 12:52 PM)
Hey Jon, if it does get cut up I'm interested in the center console if there are no splits in the seams or cigarette burn marks and the complete targa top.

Somebody else expressed interest in the console so I'll let you know.

We can talk about the targa top, I actually wanted the seals and latches off it.

Jon
redshift
I need the little rubber cap off of the injection brain knob, 'cause my fan did something with the one I used to have.

M
jonwatts
Sorry, it goes with the engine. See Seanery for caps
ohmy.gif
Korijo
front turn lenses available? cost?
McMark
I have targa tops in the classifieds. wacko.gif

COME ON EAST COASTERS! You all complain about us cutting up cars. I've been bitched at about throwing stuff away. Somebody dump your sorry ass rusty project car and pick this one up. Sheesh.
PatW
Don't cut the car up.. ohmy.gif . I'd like to see it.

Pat
jonwatts
Sure thing, Pat. I'll send you a PM.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.