Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official 2021 WCR in San Luis Obispo, Oct. 14-17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Coondog
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 28 2021, 07:57 PM) *

Are we getting a special rate ? Seems a little pricy…

It’s peak tourist season for the Gold Coast. SLO is always $$$ you won’t be disappointed. Quality Suites hits all the marks.

# Safe & Secure
# Free Happy Hour Beer & Wine.
# 5 min walk to Downtown
# Large two room suites that can easily be shared by two people
Grosbard
This is so exciting! Huge thank you to the organizers!!

Just wondering on next steps:

1. Should we all be booking our room now via the hotel's website, or is one of the organizers getting a group rate for us (or something like that)?
2. What is the recommended hotel check-in and check-out dates. Or the better question is probably - what time on Oct 14 is the first event, and what time on Oct 17 is the last event?

Thanks, and look forward to meeting everyone!!
Coondog
QUOTE(Grosbard @ Apr 29 2021, 11:35 AM) *

This is so exciting! Huge thank you to the organizers!!

Just wondering on next steps:

1. Should we all be booking our room now via the hotel's website, or is one of the organizers getting a group rate for us (or something like that)?
2. What is the recommended hotel check-in and check-out dates. Or the better question is probably - what time on Oct 14 is the first event, and what time on Oct 17 is the last event?

Thanks, and look forward to meeting everyone!!

I will get with Geoff “Strawman” to post up the hotel details.
jim_hoyland
Room booked. I will spend Monday -Thursday in Cambria at the Cambria Pines.
drem914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 1 2021, 02:57 PM) *

Room booked

Same here. Just let us know if a special rate is set up, so I can update the reservation.
Coondog
QUOTE(drem914 @ May 1 2021, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 1 2021, 02:57 PM) *

Room booked

Same here. Just let us know if a special rate is set up, so I can update the reservation.

I just called them and got 3 different rates from 3 different people. I will nail this down on Monday. Best I got so far for a king bed with AAA rate for Thursday and Saturday is 193.00 per night. It’s Saturday night which is a killer, 322.00.
These rates included taxes. They do come with a separate room with a fold out couch.

Expedia rate is just as high.
Coondog
HOTEL GROUP RATE HOTEL GROUP RATE HOTEL GROUP RATE HOTEL GROUP RATE

Quality Suites SLO.......(805) 242-0269. You have to ask for Angelia she is the only one that can give you the group rate. confused24.gif

When you book at the Quality Suites make sure to ask for the 914 World Group Block Rate. Three day out the door cost is $ 747.63. We may see a slight discount on this rate as we get closer to our rally as per hotel staff.

Unfortunately the hotel will only hold 20 rooms at this rate after that booking via AAA will see a slight increase.

Please note each room has a separate living area with a fold out couch, if you want to double, triple up...... grouphug.gif

We are making this the host hotel, there are several others within very close walking distance but you won’t save much and the Quality Suites hotel parking lot privacy is xlint.
bobboinski
piratenanner.gif Great work!
Coondog
Just a FYI, while I know the hotel is $$$ you will be saving money at our banquet as the only cost is the pizza you eat and the beer you drink...... beer.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 3 2021, 02:01 PM) *

HOTEL GROUP RATE HOTEL GROUP RATE HOTEL GROUP RATE HOTEL GROUP RATE

Thanks for setting this up Greg. beerchug.gif

I told them my credit card number in exchange for a reservation number. boldblue.gif
FL000
Booked my room just now. Apparently you do have to go through the right person. The gentleman that helped me couldn’t find the group rate, but I got a room anyways. $879.57 with taxes. I’ll try getting ahold of Angelia to see if I can get the reduced rate. Any chance there is a group confirmation #? That may help.

Either way looking forward to this trip. Beautiful area and should be a great time.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(FL 000 @ May 3 2021, 08:06 PM) *

Apparently you do have to go through the right person.

Yes. smile.gif Angie at the Front Desk. cheer.gif (option #2 when you call.)

Not whoever picks-up when you connect with Reservations. (option #1.) splat.gif
Mikey914
Just booked 2 rooms for 914Rubber $880 - Hotels.com will get me to a free night to use later.
second wind
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 3 2021, 10:58 PM) *

Just booked 2 rooms for 914Rubber $880 - Hotels.com will get me to a free night to use later.

Not to sound cheap or broke but $249 per night is waaaayyyy out of line. When we did San Simeon it was $79 per night, and a couple years back was the same at the Marriot.....$747 for three nights? Really? I thought we were 914 guys.....not Ferrari guys....someone please find an alternative or a share deal.....who can afford that?
gg
Mikey914
I was actually looking at VRBO. There were a few houses that penciled out nicely, but did prefer to stick with the group. And yes that was $880x2
mgp4591
Angelina got us booked at 750 for the duration...unless there's a VRBO that sleeps 20. Now it's just the small matter of finishing the car. I was told last weekend that my wiring should only take about 12 hours or so, so I should be good... lol-2.gif av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
I know a guy in SLO! Sign me up!
markb
Wow! I just saw this (I hang out too much in the sandbox & don't check the other forums...). Just down the road from me. It's been too long since I saw a 914. I'll have to show up. smile.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(markb @ May 6 2021, 05:38 PM) *

Wow! I just saw this (I hang out too much in the sandbox & don't check the other forums...). Just down the road from me. It's been too long since I saw a 914. I'll have to show up. smile.gif

@markb
Great Mark ! Last time I saw you was at the Rio Rancho Atomic Ramble; you were changing your alternator in the parkin lot at Brew place…
markb
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 6 2021, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ May 6 2021, 05:38 PM) *

@markb
Great Mark ! Last time I saw you was at the Rio Rancho Atomic Ramble; you were changing your alternator in the parkin lot at Brew place…

Yup, gotta do what ya gotta do. It got me home without an issue. I miss that old car. I don't miss working on it, but I do miss it. smile.gif
Cairo94507
I booked for Friday and Sat nights. Greg hooked me up with Angelia who hooked me up and saved me some money. It's SLO so it is going to be a bit expensive. But that is why we own 914s and not 911 Turbos. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(second wind @ May 3 2021, 11:29 PM) *

Not to sound cheap or broke but $249 per night is waaaayyyy out of line. When we did San Simeon it was $79 per night, and a couple years back was the same at the Marriot.....$747 for three nights? Really? I thought we were 914 guys.....not Ferrari guys....someone please find an alternative or a share deal.....who can afford that?
gg

Thats not too far off from Mammoth prices... And I KNOW the cost of that event scared off some people... Sadly there wasnt any other choices.
Coondog
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 7 2021, 06:11 AM) *

gg

Thats not too far off from Mammoth prices... And I KNOW the cost of that event scared off some people... Sadly there wasnt any other choices.

There are several hotels that are very close “5 minute walk” to this one that members can choose from. They are maybe 50.00 per night cheaper. Admin decided on this hotel due to size, SLO hotels are small and would not have fit our group.
Chris914n6

gg

There are a few smaller options a block away at ~$150/night. It's not the cheap season.

If I can't split a room at Quality then I'll be looking to cut a few hundy from the trip cost, specially if gas keeps going up.
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
Coondog
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 18 2021, 05:55 PM) *

You can buy that at Just looking gallery on Higuera st. I have that one and many other Steve Thomas numbered prints on my walls.
EdwardBlume
Updated profile
mxkinn01
Room booked for Friday and Saturday night. Just got off the phone with Angelia, she says she is sometimes not there and anyone can help us with the group rate, but I would still ask for her just to be sure.
Cairo94507
Looking forward to the WCR! I am continuing to get my car to the next level (in my opinion). Just did the full Spoke's LED package and love it. Also just pulled the door cards off and replaced all of the clips and the receivers (thank you 914 Rubber) that actually go into the door and accept the clips. Then got all the clips and screws secured. Door cards look terrific now. Tomorrow it goes in to get the tailpipe sniffed to see if it is running rich or not -smells rich to me- and more importantly smells rich to my wife (yeah). unsure.gif
RFoulds
The only way I can swing this is convince my wife we are going to SLO for her birthday weekend, and just "happened" to stumble on a 914 gathering.
Coondog
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jun 2 2021, 10:37 AM) *

The only way I can swing this is convince my wife we are going to SLO for her birthday weekend, and just "happened" to stumble on a 914 gathering.

Any wife would enjoy all the downtown shopping and dining in SLO....$$$$ stirthepot.gif
I know mine does, that’s why she’s not going..... happy11.gif
914_7T3
Just booked a 2 bedroom AirBNB with a roomy 1.5 miles out of downtown.

driving.gif

Click to view attachment

mgp4591
Comparable prices with better furniture?
And a beautiful car!
914_7T3
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 3 2021, 03:28 PM) *

Comparable prices with better furniture?
And a beautiful car!

Thanks for the kind words and pricing on par with a single hotel room.
EdwardBlume
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
stevend914
OK, I'm booked at the LaQuinta. I'm looking forward to the long drive (yea right).
914SIXXation
QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 18 2021, 03:15 PM) *

Hi All --

I will continue to edit/update this posting as details are nailed down, but we've finalized the dates and location for the 2021 West Coast Ramble: the WCR will be held October 14-17, 2021 in San Luis Obispo. Ink it into your calendar!

The "host" hotel is the Quality Suites Downtown San Luis Obispo. While this place ain't cheap, it is clean, safe and within walking distance of lots of food and entertainment venues. Presuming the COVID-19 pandemic is not going to re-rear its ugly head again this fall, there is a free Downtown Trolley that operates Thursday through Saturday nights, with a bus stop out front of the Quality Suites.

I'm still working on assembling a team and finalizing other details, so please subscribe to this thread if you're interested in participating. Cheers!

Geoff

UPDATE MAY 3, 2021 (thanks Greg @Coondog

):

We have hotel group block rate!!! Call Quality Suites SLO at (805) 242-0269 and ask for Angela -- she is the only one that can give you the group rate. When you book at the Quality Suites make sure to ask for the "914WORLD Group Block Rate." The 3-day total is $747.63. We may see a slight discount on this rate as we get closer to our rally as per hotel staff (I am presuming they'll credit the cost; stay tuned).

Greg has also booked a group room on Saturday at 6PM at Woodstock's Pizza, which is located relatively close to the Quality Suites. Click on the link to see their menu. It'll be No-Host, so you're responsible for buying your own grub and beer. But I can vouge for it all; it is a go-to for me when I'm in downtown SLO.

Hi Greg and Geoff,

I haven't been onto the 914World site since January and suddenly brain fog cleared and I was wondering if there was a WCR going on this year. Sure enough, there is and thanks to you guys for putting it together and working out all of the logistics!

This year has been tough for everyone and I hope everyone is continuing to get through the COVID mess. It was unfortunate that we couldn't attend last year as it sounded like a fun time. (Paul had some successful heart surgery).

We've only attended one WCR (2019) and we had so much fun we vowed we would try to make each one. Unfortunately, due to additional medical issues and complications, it is highly unlikely that Paul will be able to make it. (Maybe I can get him to a single day event in the future?)

I'm presently planning on coming (depending upon Paul's situation).

I received a call back from Angela (very nice, courteous professional lady) from Quality Inn and was able to grab a room from the 914World Group Block (others still available) with a 3 day price of $750.93 includes tax). Looks like a great place. Unfortunately hotel rates ALL over the country have inflated since the Pandemic.

As the WCR time nears, I hoping to try to arrange to meet up with the Orange Cty/LA group and caravan up together if possible.

So, really looking forward to seeing all of you and meeting even more new 914ers!

Please CONTINUE to be careful and STAY SAFE!

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
cheer.gif

P.S. Hope to possibly catch up with you at a single local area event soon?

ndfrigi
@914Sixxation Hi Margie and Paul, good Paul is doing better and hope he will be completely recovered! Last time you joined a small group was at Oscar’s place and hope there will be one local meet again to be able to catch up and for Paul to join also if just local drive.

Take care and God bless!
914SIXXation
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 17 2021, 04:43 PM) *

@914Sixxation Hi Margie and Paul, good Paul is doing better and hope he will be completely recovered! Last time you joined a small group was at Oscar’s place and hope there will be one local meet again to be able to catch up and for Paul to join also if just local drive.

Take care and God bless!

Thanks so much for your kind greetings. It was fun chatting and seeing some 914ers at Oscars working on Jeffrey's car. That seems so long ago.....

Hope everything works out for the WCR and possibly another day drive/meet up before then.

I've registered for the Werks Reunion Corral Parking and glad to see that they are recognizing the 914. Hope everything falls into place for that event too.

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
pjhaun
If there hasn't been any confirmed registration yet. It would a alot better to hold the event at Morro Bay. You could even take a drive up Hywy 1 and maybe the Heart Castle would be open by than.
RiqueMar
Hi Everyone! Thinking to join this event...

I see there has been alot of input regarding the Hotel and some of the drives and dinning, but I think the plans are yet undetermined. If the organizers need an extra-hand, happy to throw my hat in; Shirts, Trophies, etc..

Is there an attendees list yet? Excited about this event! bye1.gif
914Toy
QUOTE(pjhaun @ Jul 20 2021, 03:19 PM) *

If there hasn't been any confirmed registration yet. It would a alot better to hold the event at Morro Bay. You could even take a drive up Hywy 1 and maybe the Heart Castle would be open by than.

popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
That would be the Hearst Castle, San Simeon, CA.
drem914
QUOTE(pjhaun @ Jul 20 2021, 03:19 PM) *

@pjhaun Please check post #1 shades.gif
markb
Hearst Castle is currently closed for road repair. Having driven that road for 30+ years, and knowing what was needed to repair it in 2019 when I retired, it won't be reopened in time for this event.
strawman
Quick update: the dates and hotel location are set, but I haven't yet started the registration process. Work is finally letting up a bit, so I'll focus more on the details of WCR 2021 in the coming weeks and provide updates on post #1. Be well!
strawman
One more update: the California Central Coast Region of PCA is hosting a Driver's Event at Laguna Seca Raceway on Sunday October 18th. Registration is now open, and if you're interested you should sign up quickly. A link is provided here.
lierofox
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jun 2 2021, 10:37 AM) *

Just sweeten the deal with some Madonna Inn cake. sunglasses.gif
strawman
I just updated the first post. Below is a teaser pic that I snapped (I'm second-seat in my wife's E46 cabriolet)...

Click to view attachment
BuddyV
Any word on registration? I don't want to miss this smile.gif

.... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.