Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official 2021 WCR in San Luis Obispo, Oct. 14-17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Retroracer
QUOTE(strawman @ Oct 7 2021, 06:17 PM) *

We are one week away!!!

...and the weather forecast looks peachy!

- Tony
yellowporky
I just found out we can attend and will be arriving late Friday evening staying at the Quality Suites.
This is my first WCR and very excited to meet the people behind the screen names.
See you all soon
Chris
second wind
No arguments on our route...I think things will work out just fine....see you at Paradise Cove Thursday morning...:GG
jcd914
We have started our trek to WCR!!
Kid's in Redwood City (granddaughter's birthday), Halfmoon Bay, Morro Bay then SLO!!
We're excited to see old friends and meet new!

Jim

Click to view attachment

VegasRacer
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 9 2021, 02:16 PM) *

We have started our trek to WCR!!

Happy Motoring. driving.gif

I don't start until Wednesday morning.

See ya in a few. beerchug.gif
914SIXXation
QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 18 2021, 03:15 PM) *

Alright, "registration" is officially open! I put it in quotes because I am not charging a fee this year, since I know that hotel costs are crazy-high in this beautiful part of the country and mostly everything will be a la carte (more details below). PM me thru this website, and include your real name and the screen/real names of your guests. I'll update the attendee list every day or two.

Upfront, I want to thank the incredible vendors that support our Porsche 914 addiction and provide such great service to us. In anticipation of this year's WCR event, I have talked with many of them, and their support for WCR 2021 is pouring in. As additional commitments are made, I'll update the list. The donated items will be raffled off during the Saturday evening awards dinner at Woodstock's in downtown SLO; winners must be present to accept prizes. If you are willing to contribute something (hint: I'm looking for someone to make People's Choice trophies!), please PM me. Below is the current list in alphabetic order:

Official T-Shirt Ordering Link

Click on the Official 2021 WCR T-Shirt Ordering Link to order t-shirts! Registrants whose orders are received by October 7th will be provided their t-shirt(s) during registration on October 14th; all others must choose the direct shipping option.

WCR 2021 Sponsors List:

914Rubber - SWAG bags & various 914 items
914Werke - various 914 items
Bruce Stone - refurbished pedals set
BuddyV - posters of WCR 2021 logo
PMB Performance - refurbished caliper set
Pokrajac Automotive - discounted dyno runs
Spokeworks LED - two sets of LED taillights
strawman - WCR 2021 logo artwork

Below is the final draft logo for this WCR 2021 that I worked with a local graphics artist to develop. I will start a separate posting to order shirts from a reliable local vendor whose shop is a few doors down from my office and we've used him for a lot of past orders. I'll add a link to this posting here once that link is up. A range of options will be provided (color of shirt, long- or short-sleeve, women's/men's, hoodie, etc.), and ordering will be done through a third-party vendor. The shirts will be distributed during registration on Thursday October 14th.

Click to view attachment

Due to COVID-19, the only "official" gathering will be at Woodstock's Pizza on Saturday October 16 at 6PM in downtown SLO. Everyone will be responsible for ordering and paying for your own meals/drinks. The same is true for meals during the Friday and Saturday drives -- you're on your own to set up small groups to chow down for lunch in Cambria (Friday), and lunch in Los Olivos (Saturday).

The SLO Trolley is currently suspended due to a lack of bus drivers, so there's no free shuttle between the host hotel and Woodstock's on Saturday evening. You can choose to make the (pleasant) walk to Woodstock's from the host hotel, Uber, or park downtown. There's three parking garages within a few blocks, and plenty of curbside parking nearby in the vibrant SLO downtown area -- but please drive safely/sober if you choose to drive.

In mid-September, the SLO County Public Health Officer decreed that face masks must be worn indoors due to the COVID-19 Delta variant, and I ask that you respectfully comply. Obviously, when you're eating/drinking, mask wearing is not possible and I am certain that enforcement is relatively lax. But I don't want our Porsche 914 community to be labeled "those guys" for raising an unnecessary ruckus.

During registration, you'll be provided your shirt (if you ordered one!), the final itinerary of events, print-outs of the drives on Friday and Saturday, ballots for People's Choice Awards (longest drive, best original, best modified, etc.), raffle tickets, as well as maps to get to the Dyno Day and other events that we can (safely) put together. I'm thinking a Thursday night sunset picture opportunity near Morro Rock, followed up with small-group gatherings to eat dinner in Morro Bay / Cayucos... but I'm open to other ideas (PM me!).

The car show will officially kick off in the Quality Suites Inn parking lot following the Saturday drive. I'll be there to collect the ballots, which we will tally up prior to meeting at Woodstock's later that evening.

I will continue to maintain this posting #1 as the singular place for details, so please subscribe and check back often.

List of Attendees:

1. strawman (Geoff S., and Nancy)
2. Steve (Steve F.)
3. BuddyV (Robert)
4. markhoward (Mark S.)
5. siverson (Steve I.)
6. Coondog (Greg)
7. markb (Mark B.)
8. Retroracer (Tony D.)
9. gonzo54 (Rick R.)
10. drem914 (Franz N., and Joyce)
11. Mike D. (Mike D.)
12. jim_hoyland (Jim H.)
13. FL000 (Josh and wife Adelita)
14. MartyYeoman (Marty Y., and Debbie)
15. 914-300Hemi (Ravi, and Michelle)
16. VegasRacer (John P.)
17. 914SIXXation (Margie SH)
18. jcd914 (Jim D., and Mary)
19. Mikey914 (Mark and Janelle W., and Scott and Daun B.)
20. Unpretentious (Jerry M.)
21. dgroover (Dave G.)
22. 914-7T3 (Jeffrey)
23. mgp4591 (Mike P.)
24. DucRS (Alfred, and Nancy)
25. 914Toy (Keith H.)
26. mxkinn01 (Mike, and Donna)
27. MikeEnglish (Mike E.)
28. Chris914n6 (Chris P.)
29. Eric_Shea (Eric and Diane, and possibly Larry & Gloria P.)
30. PCH (Peter - Saturday only)
31. EdwardBlume (Rob)
32. second_wind (Greg G.) - in for dyno day
33. Cairo94507 (Michael H, and brother Bob H)
33. DTMLGND (Paul)
34. 9ONE4_JIM (Jim P.)
35. bdstone914 (Bruce S.)
36. PDXMike (Mike P.)
37. buggvert (Will W.; Saturday only)
38. 44ron (Aaron M.)
39. alex914 (Alex H, and Jovita)
40. Robarabian (Robert A.)
41. roberthbollinger (Bob B., and Patricia)
42. DHF (Dirk F.)
43. jdbogart@self-serv.net (Don B., and Judy)
44. Yellowporky (Chris S., and Venus +2 kids; Boxster 2nd car)
45. Jack_Standz (John, and Kay)

Update on 27-Aug-2021:

I have run a few great Central Coast drives over the past few weekends, and I believe we've got 'em locked in now. I'm also working with a great local artist to design a cool t-shirt, and will start a separate thread once it's ready for debut. I haven't yet figured out the registration fee that will include the t-shirt, but will update this thread as soon as I can nail it down. Stay tuned!

We'll do a Thursday evening drive for the early check-ins to the Morro Rock to watch the sunset, snap a few pics, and catch up. Those who are up for it can join me for dinner at Beda's Biergarten for some authentic German food and cold beer.

Friday morning will start at 9:14AM in the Quality Inn parking lot, with a re-group at Cloisters Community Park in Morro Bay. Then we'll head up the Coast and then over the mountains to Paso Robles Wine Country for some scenic and twisty roads. Next it's back to the Coast to to see some unique Coastal Vistas and have lunch in Cambria in small groups. Later that afternoon, we'll head over to watch those who signed up (details coming soon!) for dyno pulls.

Saturday morning will be another 9:14AM start, and we'll head along the south Coast (after a diversion to a unique SLO picture-taking opportunity!) and head for the twisty roads in the North Santa Barbara County Wine Country. We'll head back to the Quality Inn parking lot to display our cars and collect ballots for People's Choice / Best of Show.

The awards banquet will take place at 6:00PM at Woodstock's Pizza, which is located relatively close to the Quality Suites. Click on the link to see their menu. It'll be No-Host, so you're responsible for buying your own grub and beer. But I can vouge for it all; it is a go-to for me when I'm in downtown SLO.

There are a lot of great drives into and out of SLO County, so I'll send those details to registrants so that you can group up and have mini-rallies before/after the WCR.

Original 18-Feb-2021 Posting:

Hi All --

I will continue to edit/update this posting as details are nailed down, but we've finalized the dates and location for the 2021 West Coast Ramble: the WCR will be held October 14-17, 2021 in San Luis Obispo. Ink it into your calendar!

The "host" hotel is the Quality Suites Downtown San Luis Obispo. While this place ain't cheap, it is clean, safe and within walking distance of lots of food and entertainment venues. Call them at (805) 242-0269 and ask for Angela -- she is the only one that can give you the group rate. When you book at the Quality Suites make sure to ask for the "914WORLD Group Block Rate." The 3-day total is $747.63. We may see a slight discount on this rate as we get closer to our rally as per hotel staff (I am presuming they'll credit the cost; stay tuned).

Presuming the COVID-19 pandemic is not going to re-rear its ugly head again this fall, there is a free Downtown Trolley that operates Thursday through Saturday nights, with a bus stop out front of the Quality Suites.

Hi Geoff,

I am SO bummed! I am not going to be able to make WCR with my 914-6. I have some work that is still being completed (refurbished fuel tank and stainless steel fuel lines, etc.).

So, I'm hoping it will be ok if I come in a non-Porsche. I will make sure that I am at the back and out of the photos when everyone is driving in your long row of awesome, beautiful, colorful 914s zooming along the many great roads you've planned.

I wil also park at the ends of rows when the cars are parked so as not to mess up any display of cars in parking lots. Gotta make sure those photos look great.

I'm going to PM you.

Thanks so much for all of your dedicated work to set up a wonderful West Coast Ramble!

I'm looking forward to seeing friends, meet new enthusiasts and look at all of those cool 914's!

(I am planning on meeting up with the Seal Beach/Malibu group early Thursday morning.)

See you soon.......

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif
914_7T3
Oil Change & a Fresh Coat of Wax to get ready for WCR! Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting up for breakfast on Thursday at Paradise Cove to begin the weekend!

driving.gif driving-girl.gif

Click to view attachment
drem914
QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Oct 10 2021, 03:22 PM) *

Hi Geoff,

I am SO bummed! I am not going to be able to make WCR with my 914-6. I have some work that is still being completed (refurbished fuel tank and stainless steel fuel lines, etc.).

So, I'm hoping it will be ok if I come in a non-Porsche. I will make sure that I am at the back and out of the photos when everyone is driving in your long row of awesome, beautiful, colorful 914s zooming along the many great roads you've planned.

I wil also park at the ends of rows when the cars are parked so as not to mess up any display of cars in parking lots. Gotta make sure those photos look great.

I'm going to PM you.

Thanks so much for all of your dedicated work to set up a wonderful West Coast Ramble!

I'm looking forward to seeing friends, meet new enthusiasts and look at all of those cool 914's!

(I am planning on meeting up with the Seal Beach/Malibu group early Thursday morning.)

See you soon.......

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif

We will see you there Margie. bye1.gif
strawman
(delete double post)
second wind
FIRE IN SANTA BARBARA!! Hey guys and gals....we have to keep an eye on this new fire in Santa Barbara ......101 is already affected and it is windy out there.....let's hope for the best but this could cause us some problems...
gg
drem914
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 12 2021, 09:43 AM) *

FIRE IN SANTA BARBARA!! Hey guys and gals....we have to keep an eye on this new fire in Santa Barbara ......101 is already affected and it is windy out there.....let's hope for the best but this could cause us some problems...
gg

Current CAL-TRANS Highway status posted last night:

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
101 IS CLOSED FROM 0.3 MI SOUTH OF CARPINTERIA TO 0.3 MI NORTH OF GOLETTA /AT WINCHESTER CANYON RD/ (SANTA BARBARA CO) AT 1832 HRS ON 10/11/21 - DUE TO A WILDFIRE - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
mrholland2
Hi all,

I live in Santa Maria (without a 914) but would love to see the cars and folks maybe at an outdoor "cars and coffee" type setting. Will there be a time/location like that for that since I cannot fully participate?

Thanks
Sean
rhodyguy
How does one get to SLO from the south with 101 closed? I-5 and head west north of the inferno? I had just read about the fire.
drem914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 12 2021, 02:06 PM) *

How does one get to SLO from the south with 101 closed? I-5 and head west north of the inferno? I had just read about the fire.

3 basic options available:
405N>101N>154N at Santa Barbara >101N
405N>101N>33N at Ventura >166W at Cayuma >101N at Santa Maria
5N past the Grapevine >166W>101N at Santa Maria

rhodyguy
You just know those 3 routes will be packed. I hope it works out for everybody.
914SIXXation
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 12 2021, 04:55 PM) *

So terrible to have another fire hit this area again. Sure hope that there isn't loss of homes and injuries and they can get it under control.

It will be a challenge with slower traffic on the alternate routes. We'll need to make sure we are all fueled up anticipating slow-moving traffic along the back roads where there aren't as many gas stations.

I'll be keeping an eye out on what the plans are for the group I'm joining coming from the Southern California/LA area. Staying at the Ayres in Seal Beach tomorrow night. Good Luck everybody! Looking forward to seeing you in SLO.

Cheers,
Margie
driving-girl.gif

P.S. BTW, at the first and only WCR I attended in 2019 I gave one of my stuffy 914 TFA pillow cars as a door prize/ Addendees asked if I had any for sale. I did not.....no room in the 914. However, I touched base with Geoff to see if he thought it was ok to bring some. So, I WILL be bringing a lLIMITED number of them in Blue, Orange, Silver, and Yellow . They are NEW vintage 1977 collector items just freshly stuffed by me and are from my personal "stash." They have wheels that actually turn. Please PM me for pricing, and what color you want (first and second choice) and you can pick it up at SLO.
strawman
QUOTE(914SIXXation @ Oct 12 2021, 04:59 PM) *

P.S. BTW, at the first and only WCR I attended in 2019 I gave one of my stuffy 914 TFA pillow cars as a door prize/ Addendees asked if I had any for sale. I did not.....no room in the 914. However, I touched base with Geoff to see if he thought it was ok to bring some. So, I WILL be bringing a lLIMITED number of them in Blue, Orange, Silver, and Yellow . They are NEW vintage 1977 collector items just freshly stuffed by me and are from my personal "stash." They have wheels that actually turn. Please PM me for pricing, and what color you want (first and second choice) and you can pick it up at SLO.

Here is a picture of these really cool pillows!

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
Getting hosed.
I hit the road in 12 hours. boldblue.gif
Elvira is dressed and all I need to do is finish packing and try to sleep.

Hey @SirAndy - will you please turn this thread into the 'Live Event Uploader' so we can entertain the voyeurs. .

Danke mein Herr. pray.gif

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Oct 12 2021, 10:16 AM) *

would love to see the cars and folks maybe at an outdoor "cars and coffee" type setting. Will there be a time/location like that for that since I cannot fully participate?

@mrholland2 -When we finish the daily drives and return to the host hotel, people hang out and socialize in the parking lot. drunk.gif Come party with us.
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Oct 12 2021, 07:00 PM) *

Hey @SirAndy - will you please turn this thread into the 'Live Event Uploader' so we can entertain the voyeurs. .

Done ... Email pictures to: Click to view attachment

- Make sure your images are below 4MB in size
- Make sure your iphone is set to use the JPEG image format instead of their proprietary HEIC format
- Make sure the camera button is on the right so your pictures display correctly here
- Don't bother writing a message, only the title of your email will show here
- ^^^ Write a useful email title

beerchug.gif

Live Event Uploader
Getting Ready

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Neon fridge. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Getting Ready

IPB Image

drem914
QUOTE(strawman @ Feb 18 2021, 01:15 PM) *

Update on 27-Aug-2021:
Saturday morning will be another 9:14AM start, and we'll head along the south Coast (after a diversion to a unique SLO picture-taking opportunity!) and head for the twisty roads in the North Santa Barbara County Wine Country. We'll head back to the Quality Inn parking lot to display our cars and collect ballots for People's Choice / Best of Show.

There are a lot of great drives into and out of SLO County, so I'll send those details to registrants so that you can group up and have mini-rallies before/after the WCR.

@strawman , 1 day before departure and a couple of questions:
Will the Sat. drive portion of the weekend be affected by the current Alisal Fire in Santa Barbara County?
Are you sending out any info on the drives in and out of SLO county? TIA
mrholland2

Getting hosed.
I hit the road in 12 hours. boldblue.gif

would love to see the cars and folks maybe at an outdoor "cars and coffee" type setting. Will there be a time/location like that for that since I cannot fully participate?

@mrholland2 -When we finish the daily drives and return to the host hotel, people hang out and socialize in the parking lot. drunk.gif Come party with us.

@drem914 What time would that be (about) on Saturday?
drem914
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Oct 13 2021, 08:45 AM) *
Getting hosed. I hit the road in 12 hours. boldblue.gif

@drem914 What time would that be (about) on Saturday?
@mrholland2 I don't know. I'm not setting up the activities schedule. I'm along for the ride. No pun intended.
PCH
Click to view attachment

This is the 101 SB at Refugio on Monday late afternoon.

As of today (Wed) the 101 is still closed. Given winds are expected tonight, I would guess the 101 will be still closed Thursday morning. Unsure when it will reopen.

The 154 to the Santa Ynez Valley is open but with really heavy traffic.

I still suggest north on the 33 from Ventura to west on the 166 to north on the 101. It's a wonderful curvy road out of Ojai. Not sure of what the traffic situation will be. And be sure you start with a full tank of gas. The last stop with gas for certain is on the 33 in Ojai.
914_7T3
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 12 2021, 02:55 PM) *

@drem914

I like option #2 based on the below fire map.

1N>101N>33N at Ventura >166W at Cayuma >101N at Santa Maria

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I believe the 154 is a non-starter as it is too close to the 101 and will bring heavy traffic. Other northbound travellers will opt for the 5 North.

This way we can still do breakfast at Paradise Cove, have a leisurely drive to Santa Maria over to SLO and steer clear of the fire.

Sounds like a great day to me ! driving.gif driving-girl.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(PCH @ Oct 13 2021, 10:52 AM) *

This is the 101 SB at Refugio on Monday late afternoon.

As of today (Wed) the 101 is still closed. Given winds are expected tonight, I would guess the 101 will be still closed Thursday morning. Unsure when it will reopen.

The 154 to the Santa Ynez Valley is open but with really heavy traffic.

I still suggest north on the 33 from Ventura to west on the 166 to north on the 101. It's a wonderful curvy road out of Ojai. Not sure of what the traffic situation will be. And be sure you start with a full tank of gas. The last stop with gas for certain is on the 33 in Ojai.

agree.gif
Live Event Uploader
Constipation. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Private road in Mexico. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Cinco. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Got a quarter?. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Filler up.

IPB Image

drem914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 13 2021, 10:58 AM) *

I believe the 154 is a non-starter as it is too close to the 101 and will bring heavy traffic. Other northbound travelers will opt for the 5 North.

This way we can still do breakfast at Paradise Cove, have a leisurely drive to Santa Maria over to SLO and steer clear of the fire.

Sounds like a great day to me ! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

@914_7t3

agree.gif I don't like having to drive the extra hour out along 166, but it's a much safer route just incase the fire gets crazy and the winds change. See you in Malibu at 8. sunglasses.gif
rhodyguy
The SLO Tribune has a current picture of 154. Avoid that one. Keep your fuel tanks full.
Live Event Uploader
Firestone Walker, Atascadero

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
At Firestone Walker

IPB Image

drem914
@VegasRacer thanks for the inspirational progress photos. Makes me want to leave work early to get started on packing for tomorrow.
Live Event Uploader
Success. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Kilroy was here. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Fun and games. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Popsicle. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Hydration. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Horn Test. JP

IPB Image

Live Event Uploader
Smiles ahead. JP

IPB Image

914-300Hemi
Making final preparations and heading out early. Haven't decided on the final route yet but will try to take it "easy" on the way up.
strawman
The drives on Friday and Saturday are finalized and the directions formatted. I hope these work as attachments; I'll have printouts, too, that will be stuffed into the SWAG bags.

Click to view attachment
Live Event Uploader
Last day of work before WCR!

IPB Image

9ONE4_JIM
Hi: I'm not sure I'm navigating this thread or Forum correctly but I hadn't heard back about the upcoming WCR in San Luis Obispo. I had asked to find out where the participants would be meeting on Saturday morning, October 16th. I am only able to do the drive that day. Would truly appreciate getting this information ASAP.

FYI: I am a freelance photojournalist in the automotive area and I would like to cover the drive portion on Saturday for CarGuyChronicles.com

Thanks so much.

Jim Palam
9ONE4_Jim

strawman
Hi Jim --

I just emailed you the turn lists for the Friday and Saturday drives. Please note that the times indicated are examples and NOT an itinerary. In other words, we won't kill ourselves trying to stay "on time." I look forward to seeing you!

Geoff

QUOTE(9ONE4_JIM @ Oct 13 2021, 03:43 PM) *

Hi: I'm not sure I'm navigating this thread or Forum correctly... <<<snip>>>

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.