Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914Rubber GB - 91455209712 YES the Roll bar!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mikey914
QUOTE(rudedude @ Mar 17 2021, 06:38 PM) *

I just placed my order and I was also unable to order the hardware. It told me the page was not available.

Yes temporarily out will not have until I can make more will stretch out a few weeks.
The Initial GB discount price (which is usually reserved for pre-buys) will expire 3/19
It goes to $148 so don't let this keep you from getting the best price

PMs sent to all so far !
CptTripps
Better than new...
mepstein
I just ordered mine. beerchug.gif
windforfun
I'll take one with hardware. Many thanks.
DRPHIL914
just ordered mine too! i really didn’t need it, i need new knee pad and pillar pieces, but it’s too good of a deal to pass up! i have the AA one on now and it’s very nice, no one other than a 914 person would really know the difference.
DRPHIL914
dang, i forgot the hardware headbang.gif
ValcoOscar
Just ordered my FOUR first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif

Thank you entire 914Rubber TEAM beerchug.gif

O
ndfrigi
mine with some other 914rubber parts is coming anytime this afternoon.
Can’t wait to open the box and look at all the items.
horizontally-opposed
Just ordered—and will keep an eye out for the hardware kit.

Thank you for doing this!!! beerchug.gif
rktmn247
Received mine yesterday! Looks great! Thank you for putting out another great product!
Mikey914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 18 2021, 02:36 PM) *

Don't worry, We ran out of the screw covers as soon as I can make more up I'll work something out.
Mark
charlesmac
This is another great part I need! Two for me with hardware
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 18 2021, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 18 2021, 02:36 PM) *

Don't worry, We ran out of the screw covers as soon as I can make more up I'll work something out.
Mark

biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
DRAT!

missed another GB... out-of-stock til summer... can't even order and wait.
Highland
What's the trick to fitting the latch covers? I started trimming but ran into metal frame. It's about a 3.5mm difference in width compared to my original.

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
I'm working through the same issue. I've used a dremel with a small cylindrical sander to clearance the rubber. I then used a drift and a chisel to move around the metal a bit.
yeahmag
Not sure if it’s just me, but I just can’t get this to look good and be secure.
yeahmag
Just a note here... most of the holes were cut too shallow for the hardware kit to work. That took an hour to figure out...
GeorgeKopf
I'll take one with hardware please. Did I make the cutoff? 3/19?
MasterCylinder
If I’m not to late I’ll take one with the hardware please.

Thanks
James
914-300Hemi
I just received mine yesterday. Now I need a car to install it on and the hardware kit.
So until then it is staying in the box.
aggiezig
Damnit I am one day late. Can I still get in on the GB?
914Toy
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 19 2021, 06:28 PM) *

Just a note here... most of the holes were cut too shallow for the hardware kit to work. That took an hour to figure out...

I also struggled to get mine installed with the same fitment issue. I cut some of the cast rubber off of the "buried" metal with a 1/4" wood chisel, and filed metal off of the brackets that the two screws pass through to fit and hold this "slot" in place. Mine is a '72 so the slot's brackets are made of cast metal, not plastic like the later cars. The screws are now self threaded into the rubber - would have preferred into metal, but the metal stops short of the screw position. Not perfect, but looks better than the original seriously cracked and worn Targa edge cover.
Mikey914
I took a closer look at the production. It looks like the rubber grew slightly here. and the metal insert didn't seat exactly where we wanted it to. I'll be working on a "solution" tomorrow. The easiest may be to make new covers. We had planned to do these in metal and they would retrofit easily onto OEM. The odd thing is it you really look at the metal ones they splay out at the ends and are not a straight shot. This is why these are typically a tight fit.
More to follow.
Mikey914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 19 2021, 07:28 PM) *

Longer screws I'll figure out which ones we need
Mark
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Mar 20 2021, 01:46 PM) *

Damnit I am one day late. Can I still get in on the GB?

Me too!!!
Mikey914
Update-
We ran through all of our material to make these. That's the good part. Having a large production run where we can see exactly what the best yield is has also highlighted that our materials cost was off a bit. We have more material inbound now.

On another front we did get some growth in the pockets where the latch mechanisms are. We also have had the internal metal shift slightly. It makes getting the stock metal covers in a little more difficult. I'm not happy with this as you should not have to modify my product.

Good news is I have already started on the covers. The fix for this is for me to modify the cover design to make a cove that will fit perfectly and provide to those of you who have stepped up so far. I will halt the production on the next run (which is still at least 3 weeks out because of material) until I can see if the process can be changed to eliminate the undesired growth in the pockets, and metal issue, or to just provide with the new parts.

I will keep you posted, but will continue to work on this for the best solution.

davehg
Got mine but will wait till the fix for the screw is sorted.

Mikey, really appreciate your continuing to work this through. 914Rubber is awesome to deal with, and your attention to detail is what keeps the fans coming back for more.
Mikey914
Yeah I just wish I caught this before production.
ndfrigi
Thanks again Mark! Opened the box today and amazing items.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(davehg @ Mar 21 2021, 11:12 AM) *

Got mine but will wait till the fix for the screw is sorted.

Mikey, really appreciate your continuing to work this through. 914Rubber is awesome to deal with, and your attention to detail is what keeps the fans coming back for more.

agree.gif

Got my FOUR today but will await screw fix before I attempt to install.

THANK YOU 914RUBBER beerchug.gif

Oscar
SJL
This is literally my first post. I bought a 71 with a 73 2.0 last month. My 2nd 914 after 35 years!

I'll take one, the hardware kit and information on the dash.

Thanks!
Mikey914
We will be doing the send run soon. I'll follow up when available.
-Mark
BillJ
I tried fitting mine this evening and ran into this issue with my plastic inserts. Bowed a bit. Thanks for standing by the product!!! Top rate.
jim_hoyland
+1 for me please. Will order the associated parts too. Going to have mine dyed camel/tan to match the interior.
Kansas 914
I missed round one - can I get into round 2?

Thanks Mark!
craig downs
Ahhhh late to the party dry.gif
Would love to get one if possible.
tyfighter123
Any updates on these or the hardware kits?
Mikey914
I will have hardware kits done shortly, and will be able to ship with roll bars. We are about ready to go to foundry on the improved latch covers. We were able to create a little more clearance and they will be retrofittable to stock. We plan to powder coat them which will add about a week. Also will have some other parts that we can make available for ya too. More on that this next week when we get them back from finishing!
The material for the next run will be here no later than end of the week, so gonna be a busy next few weeks. I'll post up all the details 4/26 with some pics and finalized time line. biggrin.gif
bbrock
FYI - I was able to install mine after grinding out the latch openings to provide clearance for the stock latch covers (described in the other roll bar thread). Installing the pad was a bit of a challenge because the shrinkage was enough that the screw holes didn't align perfectly. After securing one end of the roll bar, I used a sturdy straight pick for leverage to stretch the pad to line up adjacent screw holes. I had to use 1-1/4" long screws (sourced from the hardware store) on some of the holes to be able to angle them through the pad holes and catch the hole on the roll bar. Then I could tighten the screw to pull and stretch the roll pad into alignment. There were times I didn't think it was going to work, but it did.

This is all to say that you might need an assortment of screw lengths on hand for the installation. It was a challenge to install, but the result looks way better than the old cracked pad.
DRPHIL914
where are we at with this? i have the part sitting in my garage, waiting.... i have decided i am not going to install it, not going to modify it to work. What i would like is to have it swapped out with the correctly fitting part, when that happens or if not returned for refund. Mark, please let us know if that is a possibility.

i appreciate the hard work and investment put in to making these, but it should have been tested for fit before being sent out.
pilothyer
popcorn[1].gif
Steve
popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 25 2021, 03:33 PM) *

where are we at with this? i have the part sitting in my garage, waiting.... i have decided i am not going to install it, not going to modify it to work. What i would like is to have it swapped out with the correctly fitting part, when that happens or if not returned for refund. Mark, please let us know if that is a possibility.

i appreciate the hard work and investment put in to making these, but it should have been tested for fit before being sent out.

Please send it back if you are not happy. The original prototype did fit, the area had a tight clearance and variation in the metal production and the foam grew under the higher pressure we wound up running these on. So we have opted to go 2 routes. We can print covers that you would have to paint, or the metal version is in the works it would be offered to any that want it for $20 but will retail at $60 a set and will be powder coated.

The foundry production can only go so fast. I have designed the new parts made prototypes and I'm currently having tooling made to make in aluminum.
By the way we are almost complete latch rebuild kit will be ready at the same time. We are working on it too as well.
Steve
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2021, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 25 2021, 03:33 PM) *

Please send it back if you are not happy. The original prototype did fit, the area had a tight clearance and variation in the metal production and the foam grew under the higher pressure we wound up running these on. So we have opted to go 2 routes. We can print covers that you would have to paint, or the metal version is in the works it would be offered to any that want it for $20 but will retail at $60 a set and will be powder coated.

The foundry production can only go so fast. I have designed the new parts made prototypes and I'm currently having tooling made to make in aluminum.
By the way we are almost complete latch rebuild kit will be ready at the same time. We are working on it too as well.

My 75 is plastic, so plastic unpainted covers are fine for me if it makes the installation less painful.
Thanks!!
Mikey914
They will be ready about the same time. We will be contacting all in about 4 weeks as it will take about 10 days to execute shipping and of course combine with the latch kits if wanted.
Mark
jsaum
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 27 2021, 08:37 PM) *

They will be ready about the same time. We will be contacting all in about 4 weeks as it will take about 10 days to execute shipping and of course combine with the latch kits if wanted.
Mark

Mark,
When is the next run for the roll bar pads? The one I received not only has the issues with the cover plates not fitting it also is deformed so the latch handle doesn’t return into the recess. I think I’m on the list to get a replacement.

Thanks,
James Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The problem we ran into was the material inside the pocket grew in on some up to 1/16”. We are making new latch covers to allow for this. They are in process now.

We have completed another run of these and even with some adjustments it did grow some again.

We are holding off until we can provide all that need them with a replacement set. All future bars will just come with them.

Drop me some pics of the latch handle area. I suspect it may be a spring issue as the actual opening remains the same size.
So in a nutshell we will get you a solution unfortunately it takes awhile to make new parts. We redesigned the pats with changes to the bracket mounts that have been tested to fit and not interfere with the latches.
I’ll post up more as we get closer to having parts.
jsaum
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 12 2021, 11:12 AM) *

The problem we ran into was the material inside the pocket grew in on some up to 1/16”. We are making new latch covers to allow for this. They are in process now.

We have completed another run of these and even with some adjustments it did grow some again.

We are holding off until we can provide all that need them with a replacement set. All future bars will just come with them.

Drop me some pics of the latch handle area. I suspect it may be a spring issue as the actual opening remains the same size.
So in a nutshell we will get you a solution unfortunately it takes awhile to make new parts. We redesigned the pats with changes to the bracket mounts that have been tested to fit and not interfere with the latches.
I’ll post up more as we get closer to having parts.

It’s actually indented, the opening is caved in so the handle hits the pad. PM me your email and I’ll send a few pictures before I pull it off the car.
Thanks,
James
jim_hoyland
Interested in the improved version as well as latch rebuild kits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.