Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914Rubber GB - 91455209712 YES the Roll bar!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Nacho
Any update? @Mikey914

SKL1
too late for the group buy? I'd be in for 1 with hardware. TIA.
tyfighter123
Any updates on this? I would still like a few sets of the hardware install package. I also need the new latch covers.
cal914
Is it too late to join the list for this part
Mikey914
We have had problems in foundry making these. There are under cuts and splayed mounting tabs, but we think we finally have a solution. It will actually solve a few problems.
I'm working on prototyping these this week. If they work as planned will be working on the tooling to make them right after.

As far as the original price on the GB there were a few that asked while all of this is in progress that we will honor.

We also will be offering additional discounts on a few other items that are coming up for those that have supported us and believed in us to handle the issue.

We do have 2 other cool items that we all can use that you will get additional discounts on if you wish.

More this week

rjames
Any updates yet?
I don't want to remove my stock unit until all the parts are there to install the replacement correctly (and without having to modify/possibly damage anything).

IIRC we're waiting on a correct hardware kit (longer screws) and latch covers that fit.

Also do all the pads in the first run have the exact same fitment issues, or are their variants within the first run?
Root_Werks
My original unit is toast. I'd take an early version that needs a modified trim piece.
rjames
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 19 2021, 07:26 PM) *

Not sure if it’s just me, but I just can’t get this to look good and be secure.

Are these usable as is? Anyone have a picture of one installed yet?

Not trying to be negative, I really appreciate the work that must have gone in to getting these made, but I want to make sure they fit before deciding to go forward (once the rest of the necessary parts are available).
bbrock
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 9 2021, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 19 2021, 07:26 PM) *

Not sure if it’s just me, but I just can’t get this to look good and be secure.

Are these usable as is? Anyone have a picture of one installed yet?

Not trying to be negative, I really appreciate the work that must have gone in to getting these made, but I want to make sure they fit before deciding to go forward (once the rest of the necessary parts are available).

I don't think it is possible to get a perfect fit with these first run roll bar pads, but with some carving and tweaking, I got it installed well enough that it is a significant improvement over the cracked original. Issues are that even after carving the latch cover openings so they drop in properly, the bar twists enough in the install that the covers bulge and, as was already mentioned, the latch levers won't retract into the recess properly. On mine I am able to just push them up to tuck them in, but it isn't how they should be. Here's the pic of my installed pad from this post in the other thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2924471 You can see the latch cover bowing up. With the roll bar off, the cover drops in and sits perfectly flush so this is due to some additional twisting/shrinking that occurred on the pad.

IPB Image
Mikey914
We are working on the covers still. Everyone that has bought a roll bar will be getting a new metal latch cover set. We are making some improvements on them too. It will resolve the issue and make it a better looking part.

It's been a painful process. Also there will be additional considerations I will contact all that have bought these as it progresses.

Mark
BillJ
Thanks Mark. Mine still sitting in its box awaiting next steps.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 9 2021, 11:58 AM) *

We are working on the covers still. Everyone that has bought a roll bar will be getting a new metal latch cover set. We are making some improvements on them too. It will resolve the issue and make it a better looking part.

It's been a painful process. Also there will be additional considerations I will contact all that have bought these as it progresses.

Mark

yehey! Thank you again Mark! I will be installing the roll bar pad soon!
rjames
bbrock thanks for the pic.

My current roll bar pad isn't in great shape, but I don't want to swap it out if it's not possible to get the 1st gen pad to lay straight. If that's the case I'll be looking to return mine or preferably swap it for a correctly fitting version if that becomes an option.
76-914
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 9 2021, 01:54 PM) *

bbrock thanks for the pic.

My current roll bar pad isn't in great shape, but I don't want to swap it out if it's not possible to get the 1st run pad to lay straight. If that's the case I'll be looking to return mine or preferably swap it for a correctly fitting version if that becomes an option.

Me too. beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
I've been meaning to share my experience and pics of my install. Full caveat: I'm not nearly as skilled at these things as Brent @bbrock , so give his experience more weight than mine.

Having said that, it was a bit of a challenge to get it installed. Even after grinding the sides down with a dremel, I really couldn't get the latch covers installed very well. I'm looking forward to the 914Rubber version of those. I had one corner that fit well, and one that didn't fit as well for some reason. Unlike Brent, I was able to get the screws in on the forward portion of the pad without too much realignment. I used #6 x 1 inch sheet metal screws (longest #6 they had in stock at Lowes). I think I got all but one in ok. The underside were a different story (the ones that point up into the bar). I got one or two of those in and then gave up after a while.

Overall, it looks MUCH better than my old cracked one that was pretty much missing the corner. Version 2.0 should be much better, although it wasn't my intention to be on the "bleeding edge" of this product. The price was very reasonable, though, the texture is very close, and along with the new vinyl and side chrome pieces it all looks MUCH better than before -- more so when latch covers are available, I presume.

Some pics:
Overall:
Click to view attachment

Good corner:
Click to view attachment

Not as good corner:
Click to view attachment

Another overall shot:
Click to view attachment
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing!

Like many, mine is also in the box. I am far away in my project from being ready to install it. rolleyes.gif

I am too very concerned by the wave in the currently "non" rectangular area. Mark told me once the part will be properly screwed on the car, it will straighten and set right, but from most of the current installed pictures I have seen, I can still see some deformation in that area.

I am staying hopeful and positive! smile.gif
rjames
@Mikey914 Update?
Mikey914
Updates being set our to all that bought this week. We have the latch covers designed and started tooling for foundry. Look for an update via email.

As soon as we take care of those that have already bought these we will open back up the sales on these.

Mark
rjames
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2021, 08:40 PM) *

Updates being set our to all that bought this week. We have the latch covers designed and started tooling for foundry. Look for an update via email.

As soon as we take care of those that have already bought these we will open back up the sales on these.

Mark

Thanks for the quick response Mark. I appreciate it and the effort you put into providing us teeners with parts to keep our cars on the road.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2021, 11:40 PM) *

Mark

@Mikey914
i am sending you a PM , i bought one of the first ones and have been holding it for exchange with proper fitting part when they come out. i am ready to exchange when you have the new one ready.

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 3 2021, 08:40 PM) *

Mark

Thank you Mark for all you do. Much appreciate all the effort!!!

Looking forward to your email, I bought three

Oscar
ndfrigi
yehey!
Root_Werks
I'll be ordering one once they are available.
rjames
@Mikey914

Any updates on when the new latch covers for the targa pad will be available?
Belgium cx
I would like one and the hardware
Mikey914
Just trying to get production finished to get to finishing. Seems like these things take longer than planned. We have 2 attachment prongs that need to be attached and it’s taking some time there.

I’ll post an update as soon as they go to finishing.
Also will send out the email promised to those that have bought the roll bar too.

Thanks
Mark
Mikey914
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 22 2021, 08:50 PM) *

@Mikey914

Any updates on when the new latch covers for the targa pad will be available?

The latches actually are ready, but need to edit video on install should have progress on it this next week.
Taking the weekend to drive to Montana to pick up another 914, otherwise I’d be working on it.
ndfrigi
yehey! thanks again Mark!
Sea Rooster
Hey there,

I just need the hardware. Is it available?
Mikey914
Yes let me get that set up.
I’ll PM you
windforfun
How much do these cost?
windforfun
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 10 2021, 06:23 AM) *

I've been meaning to share my experience and pics of my install. Full caveat: I'm not nearly as skilled at these things as Brent @bbrock , so give his experience more weight than mine.

Having said that, it was a bit of a challenge to get it installed. Even after grinding the sides down with a dremel, I really couldn't get the latch covers installed very well. I'm looking forward to the 914Rubber version of those. I had one corner that fit well, and one that didn't fit as well for some reason. Unlike Brent, I was able to get the screws in on the forward portion of the pad without too much realignment. I used #6 x 1 inch sheet metal screws (longest #6 they had in stock at Lowes). I think I got all but one in ok. The underside were a different story (the ones that point up into the bar). I got one or two of those in and then gave up after a while.

Overall, it looks MUCH better than my old cracked one that was pretty much missing the corner. Version 2.0 should be much better, although it wasn't my intention to be on the "bleeding edge" of this product. The price was very reasonable, though, the texture is very close, and along with the new vinyl and side chrome pieces it all looks MUCH better than before -- more so when latch covers are available, I presume.

Some pics:
Overall:
Click to view attachment

Good corner:
Click to view attachment

Not as good corner:
Click to view attachment

Another overall shot:
Click to view attachment

BTW, the one from AA fits perfectly. Straight seams & all the screw holes line up. The latch covers fit perfectly too. I guess you get what you pay for. Sorry Mickey.
Mikey914
No problem
We take care of our supporters and they will be getting some goodies that others will not.
We are stacking up the release of the "Free" latch covers that have a design feature we will highlight shortly , as well as a few other thank yous.
We always take care of our customers and we may not be 100% all the time, be we try, and give back to those that support us.
Thank you and as an update for all we will be updating you all directly about mid next week I think you all will like the outcome.
windforfun
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 23 2021, 05:42 PM) *

No problem
We take care of our supporters and they will be getting some goodies that others will not.
We are stacking up the release of the "Free" latch covers that have a design feature we will highlight shortly , as well as a few other thank yous.
We always take care of our customers and we may not be 100% all the time, be we try, and give back to those that support us.
Thank you and as an update for all we will be updating you all directly about mid next week I think you all will like the outcome.

You know, I wish you the very best. Let me suggest that you don't sell stuff that isn't ready for "prime time." You're making your life & that of others an unnecessary PITA. I remember when I was at Agilent (HP) as a senior manufacturing engineer & when we bought defective laser components from a company in Japan. Robin would have to sit in a conference room all day long with the vendor's representative to track the fix progress. This went on for several months until we shut down the vendor. It cost Agilent lots of bucks & trouble. Test it & get it right before you try to sell it. Good luck & stay well.
76-914
I find it much easier to support a man of good morals than one that has screwed over so many members or one that openly sells - under a pseudo name - "light weight racing fans" on eBay. Unlike "HP" Mark is a one man company and doesn't have the resources to produce spot on products the first go around. BTW, you made mention of how well the AA part fits but nary a word regarding the grain not matching up very well. shades.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 25 2021, 03:15 AM) *

I find it much easier to support a man of good morals than one that has screwed over so many members or one that openly sells - under a pseudo name - "light weight racing fans" on eBay. Unlike "HP" Mark is a one man company and doesn't have the resources to produce spot on products the first go around. BTW, you made mention of how well the AA part fits but nary a word regarding the grain not matching up very well. shades.gif

agree.gif one shown on here and the grain was too course ...just looked wrong.
I recovered mine and it turned out fine,lots of work but worth it.
windforfun
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2021, 08:15 AM) *

agree.gif
Mikey914
Thanks guys,
I actually do try to get it right the 1st time. Sometimes issues pop up that are unexpected. Could I spend more time and money in the process, yes. We do try to be as lean as possible to offer you the best prices continuously.

Could I seek to be ISO certified, yes. But, it's a cost that has to be passed on. As you can see from my price point, and the very limited market, I have to seek a balance
Most of the time we get it right, when we don't we do the right thing. Pretty sure we took the part back and refunded the customer on this one already.

For the rest you all will be getting an email this next Thursday I think you will like.
windforfun
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2021, 08:15 AM) *

Correct. I also replaced the pads on the sides which have a texture that matches the new top pad. The mismatch with the top vinyl is very second or third order to me. AA may be a little pricey, but the roll bar looks brand new now. Working with George has been a delight for sure. For sure for sure as the Valley Girls used to say.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
75914-L20C
@Mikey914

Any update on the latch covers?
nivekdodge
One plus hardware please
Mikey914
Yep posting up some pics tomorrow.
Mark
Belgium cx
Yes I would like one
Mikey914
As promised. We made these covers to be able to offer up a solution for those that were having issues. This way, when you go to install you have options. The profile we changed slightly so that the ends towards the outside of the car taper to fit the parts detent. This was something that bothered me on the original part.
I ran these at WCR. We made some pins to push into the part to help grip it, wound up adding a little butyl as one pin was slightly off and they can't go too deep as there is a metal lip about 3/16" under the top of the part.

Pretty happy with the result. Also much easier to access the latch.

Mark
Mikey914
More
Mikey914
I test fit these on an early car here so I could make sure that there was no variation with latches that could interfere. Note that the roll bar pad is NOT screwed in. I do think some deformation is due to mounting screws being over tightened.

You can distort the pad buy over tightening the screws. There is a metal substructure that can exert enough pressure to pucker the part when tightened down. It also makes them more difficult to remove.
Luke M
Mark, I purchased one of your back pads and my covers will not fit it. So what's the deal with your new cover now? I recall seeing an email about this but not sure what the answer was. Do I have to purchase your new covers or are you sending them out to people that purchased the back pad at no charge?
76-914
QUOTE(Luke M @ Oct 22 2021, 04:15 PM) *

Mark, I purchased one of your back pads and my covers will not fit it. So what's the deal with your new cover now? I recall seeing an email about this but not sure what the answer was. Do I have to purchase your new covers or are you sending them out to people that purchased the back pad at no charge?

IIRC, he will send them out to those of us that purchased the roll bar covers AND also offer the new latch's at a discounted price should we chose. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
You are correct. Everyone that purchased these will get the covers at no extra charge. I will be emailing everyone directly. We are creating unique one time codes for them, so that they can be ordered off the website at no cost. You can use them or not it's your choice. It's going to be a few days before we can have this all set up on the site. There will also be some other thank yous too.
jsaum
What is the status of the next production run? I need a replacement for the one I received, it is deformed to the point where this fix won’t work.

Thanks,
Jsaum
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.