Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safari 914 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
East coaster
Started fabricating my safari rack (what’s a safari build without a rack??). I have some interesting ideas, we’ll see what transpires…..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Decided to lower the rear control arm mounts to account for the 2” lift. This will help regain camber and help with trailing arm length (wheel center in wheel arch). To accomplish this I decide to lower the mounts 1” (compromise between complexity and strength of end product). I lengthened the the innner mounting ear and will be adding a 1” spacer to the outer mount point.

Started the process by cutting off the box section of the mount (saving for attachment later), then adding a section to the internals of the “ear” (not shown in pics). Then added a 16ga layer that ties to upper ear and extends 3/8 lower than existing end of ear.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Then I re-attached the box section removed in 1st step and fabricated new sections to account for the lowering of the box section.

Click to view attachment

Then I added re-enforcement to the ear by adding sections to both side of the mount point, wrapping to the sides of the mount.

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Then I cleaned up and drilled a new mounting hole 1” lower than the original. This mod will allow it to be returned to stock by simply moving the trailing arm back to original hole.

Click to view attachment

I’ll make the spacers for the outer mounts tomorrow and hopefully have it back on it feet by the end of the day.
East coaster
The outer trailer trailing arms spacers are done….the rear suspension is ready for re-assembly. The spacers are made from 1” billet 6061-T6 aluminum.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Retroracer
Some great fabrication there. Rack design coming along, clearly you'll need to mount 2 spare tires up there at a minimum smile.gif

I'm sure you've thought ahead for this; but one thing to check is that the driveshafts are still OK under full droop? No doubt you can account for the 2" lower arms in the trans cradle design/mounting...

- Tony
East coaster
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Mar 11 2023, 08:21 AM) *

Some great fabrication there. Rack design coming along, clearly you'll need to mount 2 spare tires up there at a minimum smile.gif

I'm sure you've thought ahead for this; but one thing to check is that the driveshafts are still OK under full droop? No doubt you can account for the 2" lower arms in the trans cradle design/mounting...

- Tony

Thanks! The axle clearance is a concern, but it seems others have tread down this path and I haven’t heard of an issue. That said, I won’t sleep easy until it’s all installed and proven. I’ve thought about what I’ll do if it’s an issue, but hoping it’s not.
East coaster
Trailing arms installed and its back on its feet…..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Somethin’ brewin’…….

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Picked up a stock front valance in nice shape and modified it for the radiator opening.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Did the same treatment to the bumper…….radiator inlet complete.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
I saved the sh*ttiest task for last……had to repair some pretty bad rust at the front bumper mounting areas. There were sizable holes through to the headlight bucket area. Fabricated some patch panels and made it strong again. This area just sux because there’s no room to work it at all.

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Patch welded in…..

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Passenger side was worse and required 2 patch pieces….

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Then it was on to rear trunk hinge pivots. The drivers side was a mess of bubble gum welds holding a stock replacement pivot. I cut the off and got down to clean metal. The passenger side had an aftermarket heim joint setup (jwest?) and they had drilled multiple holes before they got it right. I welded up all the holes and got back to clean metal as a base.

I made a little jig for proper positioning the pivot, it works for either side.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Tackled the battery tray next. Although I’m doing a Subaru conversion and most seem to relocate the battery, I couldn’t find any reason not to go with the stock location.

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Decided a little while back to go with 911 struts. I was originally going to use my stock 4 bolt struts and convert the rotors to 5 lug and started modifying them for the Safari lift.

Fast forward…..thanks to @mepstein , I have 911 struts to mod.

I lowered the axles 1.670” and added a steering arm brace to allow for heim joints (vs ball joints). Welded them up today and now they’re ready for prime and paint.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Safari stuff progress……still have to work the mounts. The front rake/angle matches the windshield.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

East coaster
Miscellaneous tidbits…..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Retroracer
Hinged at the front so you can remove the targa roof? Nice touch...

- Tony
East coaster
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Apr 1 2023, 08:48 AM) *

Hinged at the front so you can remove the targa roof? Nice touch...

- Tony

Yup, that was an absolute requirement!
slowrodent
This is such a BOLD build . I really do love it. You're clearly a very skilled fellow, and the really varied nature of the tasks you've been taking on is impressive. Keep up the great work. pray.gif
sixnotfour
Better reinforce windshield frame..

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/88567152

The Sunco 9146GT ..owner complained about flexing and broken windshields..
East coaster
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 2 2023, 12:01 PM) *

Better reinforce windshield frame..

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/88567152

The Sunco 9146GT ..owner complained about flexing and broken windshields..

Thanks! I’ve considered that but I don’t plan on carrying too much on the roof rack except the front wheel of my mountain bike. I’m thinking I won’t be stressing it much more than the factory ski racks did…….I guess I’ll find out.

The rack is mounted on heim joints at the windshield so it can flex front to rear without stressing the windshield frame. Of course the main reason for the heim joints is to tilt the rack to remove the top.
East coaster
My biggest challenge in this project thus far is deciding what color to paint it. It was originally Signal Orange (L20E). It came with a very nice brown interior, and I have to say I love Signal Orange but not with a brown interior. I’ll have to figure out a color in the next couple weeks.
East coaster
Started work on the rear rack. Hope to get it welded up tomorrow…..

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
This is giving me ideas, love the build so much. It really REALLY makes me want to keep going on my safari-esque concept.

IPB Image

my CNC flare molds are in my garage waiting for warmer weather for the fiberglass lay up, I think my biggest hurdle is fabricating the inner ear extensions on the rear. Might just hash the flares and body out and then do suspension in the furture.
East coaster
Looks very cool.
altitude411
* Subscribed... very cool build. Thank you for posting popcorn[1].gif
Van914
Saw this one in Indy a few years ago
East coaster
Finished fabricating and welding the rear rack. Only thing left is welding the flanges where it meets the trunk.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Finished the rear cargo rack and got it mounted to the trunk lid. I removed the factory hinges and the trunk lid now hinges off the rack. The trunk lid works perfectly and latches using the factory latch. Now onto the next part of the project….

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
love the trunk lid hinging.
beerchug.gif
Optimusglen
Do you need a winch to lift the rear trunk? biggrin.gif

kidding, really love the idea.
Shivers
Well, this rocks (pun intended}. The rack sure makes this a great build in my head, the border here has seen the beginning of some great adventures in similar vehicles. Very cool dude
East coaster
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 7 2023, 07:10 AM) *

Do you need a winch to lift the rear trunk? biggrin.gif

kidding, really love the idea.

Was worried about that, that’s why I made it all from 1” aluminum tube. It’s actually pretty light.
Montreal914
Very nice work! smile.gif

Based on the quality of the craftmanship, clearly you have an idea as to how to hold it open, in order to easily set the roof in? popcorn[1].gif
East coaster
Installed gas struts for the rear trunk today. They lift the trunk lid and the rack just fine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Decided to go with something different for my headlights. I’m using heavily modified 928 headlights in a fixed position. I made a support frame that goes below the 914 headlight doors and incorporated the eyebrow into the door. Still need to do a little finishing work, and the repeat for the passenger side, but I thought I’d share the progress…..

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
brubou
Forget Cibie's!!! Mount a couple 928 headlights on the hood!!
Retroracer
Cool idea with the fixed 928 headlight buckets. Can't wait to see the design for the front safari "animal & small tree" deflection bars....

And, presumably, more spotlights!

- Tony
East coaster
A few detail pics of headlight framing…..

East coaster
More….

East coaster
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Your fab skills are really next level. You're making exactly what you want which is awesome. Love the 928 lights and I literally copied your frunk floor venting idea. Just another day of grinding, welding pin holes, grinding, welding, grinding and then some paint and mine should be done biggrin.gif .
East coaster
Thanks for the kind words Chris. You’re one of the folks to blame when it came to choice of drivetrain wink.gif

This is a pretty far departure from most builds, but I’m actually trying to do the safari mods so that it could be fairly easily put back to stock. Most of my mods either use stock mounting points, or at least leave stock mounting points intact. I’m pretty sure I’m going to enjoy the safari mods, along with Subaru drivetrain, but if someday post my ownership someone wanted to revert to stock it shouldn’t be too difficult.
Chris H.
QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 12 2023, 06:07 AM) *

Thanks for the kind words Chris. You’re one of the folks to blame when it came to choice of drivetrain wink.gif

This is a pretty far departure from most builds, but I’m actually trying to do the safari mods so that it could be fairly easily put back to stock. Most of my mods either use stock mounting points, or at least leave stock mounting points intact. I’m pretty sure I’m going to enjoy the safari mods, along with Subaru drivetrain, but if someday post my ownership someone wanted to revert to stock it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Guilty as charged sir biggrin.gif. You'll like the Subaru drive train. The engine mounts for most of them are the same configuration so in the future you can update/swap as needed with very little effort. Seems like you saved that car, which had the usual fixable rusty areas and mods for a V8 swap. Enjoy it! Hope to see it someday.

East coaster
Got the mounts figured out for my coolant expansion/reservoir and test fit the tank…..looks like it belongs there. Unseen in the pics is a 3/8” post the tank slides onto at the bottom.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.