Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lou's Paint and bodywork progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lou W
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Apr 5 2006, 03:17 PM)
Lou,
Great work so far! I was curious (I know this might sound naive..) did you do all the underbody work from under the car, without a rotisserie ? Sounds like one helluva job.

Yes, I did it the hard way, I sure wished I had a rotisserie.

Basically I stripped the parts off the car, lowered one side as close to the ground as I could and raised the other side as high as I could and used Castrol Purple Power to clean the underside and then used Aircraft Paint remover. Then I sanded the underside, welded where needed, primered and shot it with Body Shutz then cleared it.

I did the same thing with lowering the rear and raising the front, etc. smile.gif
RustyWa
QUOTE (Lou W @ Apr 5 2006, 06:08 PM)
Then I sanded the underside, welded where needed, primered and shot it with Body Shutz then cleared it.

I probably missed this, but why apply clear coat to the undercoat?

Thanks
jim_hoyland
Lou,

Fantastic, this is very interesting; will you be bring the finished car over to Joe's for the jsharp.gif ?

Can't wait to see it; Joe says I need to check out the fender wells burnout.gif ..

Jim
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (RustyWa @ Apr 5 2006, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (Lou W @ Apr 5 2006, 06:08 PM)
Then I sanded the underside, welded where needed, primered and shot it with Body Shutz then cleared it.

I probably missed this, but why apply clear coat to the undercoat?

Thanks

Seals it and helps keep it clean.
Lou W
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 30 2005, 09:18 PM)
Thomas J Bliznik Posted on Dec 17 2005, 08:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lou,

Be sure to use Clear Satin. You don't want it shiny. The clear fills in the porous Body Schutz surface. That's why the dirt & grime wash off easy. It also keeps the dark color fresh a long time.

Tom  

Thanks Tom, This is what my paint supplier recomended, they said alot of the Hot Rod guys use this;

Tom suggested it, he's says that some of the cw do it to keep it looking good, not that I'm gonna be a cw too, it's just a good idea. smile.gif
RustyWa
Oh yea...I remember reading that now.

Thanks. biggrin.gif
bernbomb914
Lou that is toooo muchhhhh Very Nice,

Bernie
Lou W
Okay, I [i]finally got all the sanding done, here is apicture of the gas tank area;
Lou W
Another angle;
Lou W
Here is the rear trunk;
Lou W
And here is the engine compartment, this was a pain in the ask to work in;
Lou W
Better pictures here;
Lou W
Another;
Lou W
Again;
Lou W
Yet another, these turned out better than the last pictures;
Lou W
As I mentioned earlier, the undercoating is a little shinnier than what I wanted, but, I think it will work, if I did it again, I would have gone with one coat like what was originally suggested.

Now, I'll remask the car and shoot the sealer. smile.gif
Lou W
I got some more of the bolts, washers and nuts, along with other parts back from getting plated. I'm real happy with the way that they turned out. Some of the bolts were not in too good of shape when I sent them out, so those will have to be replaced. I'll probably have one more batch to go, then that will be it, Thank you Bruce (bdstone914) they sure look great. Here are some of the pictures:
Lou W
I decided to weld the Camp914 rear shox bracket instead of using the screws and nuts that were supplied, I'm glad I did this before I start painting.
Lou W
I finished some fiberglass repairs, then I sanded, primered and sprayed the rocker panels with 3M Rocker Gard;
Lou W
All the block sanding is done so now I'm masking the car once again so I can shoot the Sealer;
Lou W
I made a mess of my wiring the last time that I shot the primer, so I bagged all the ends and I'll do a better job of masking the wires, scrubbing them with Acetone is a real pain.
Lou W
My progress is a little slower than some of the others here but it's proceeding just the same.

After careful consideration, I've decided not to paint the car the Riviera Blue. I bought a pint of it along with all the additives and the clear too, it came to $60.00 dry.gif , so anyway, I was ready to shoot the rockers to see if I was going to like it, but first I thought that I should put a dab of the color on the lid... and it's just too light for what I want, so the search is on again for another color. I plan on doing this once, so I want to make sure its the right color. smile.gif
East coaster
Looks good..........It's like deja vue!

That's exactly where I was about a week ago, right down to bagging the wiring harness. Whatever color you go with, it'll look great!
Garland
I am going with SILVER!. Just not as far along as you.
T H O M A S
maybe biggrin.gif
albert blue 72
ossiblue 69
sea blue 73
Lou W
QUOTE(one914racer @ Jun 4 2006, 09:15 PM) *

maybe biggrin.gif
albert blue 72
ossiblue 69
sea blue 73

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look into those, I want a solid color, no metalics. smile.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Garland @ Jun 4 2006, 08:25 PM) *

I am going with SILVER!. Just not as far along as you.

John, do you have a progress thread on yours? your car looks good.

East coaster, I've been following yours, it sure looks good too.
Lou W
I Googled 1971 Albert Blue #443, sure looks nice thumb3d.gif
Garland
Lou, I have not started one yet, I should, and soon will.
boxstr
Here is another Blau to add to the mix, Adriatic Blue.
Aaron Cox
where are the updates lou???
pfierb
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jun 5 2006, 01:19 AM) *

[font=System]

Don't get mad but have you looked at Zambezi Green ?
Lou W
QUOTE(pfierb @ Aug 16 2006, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Lou W @ Jun 5 2006, 01:19 AM) *

[font=System]

Don't get mad but have you looked at Zambezi Green ?

I'm still undecided on color, I sure like Phoenix Red again after looking at some of new pictures that were posted the other day from a racing event. The blue that Craig has sure looks nice and Zambezi Green too. dry.gif I'm also considering the Canary Yellow once again. Maybe I'll make up my mind this September in Ventura when I'll see the actual cars in all their glory. biggrin.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 16 2006, 09:38 AM) *

where are the updates lou???

Well, I was waiting to post after I've completed the Poly/Bronze Bushing Sets. I've been working on the rears first. the Rear Control Arms openings after a period of time seem to go out of round, so after alot of work with a rat tail file, I was able to make them round again. I cleaned up with a honing tool;
Lou W
Here are some pictures with the bushings going in:
Lou W
Here I got them just about all the way in, I had to stack some washers to drive them in tight:
Lou W
This part completed, the next step is to buy the 5M-1 tap so I can drill and tap the zirk fittings.

After that, I'll start the fronts, I will have to grind off some of the powder coating for the sleaves to fit on the front .
TimT
This is caribean blue. A water born paint by AutoAir Colors.

the first shot is a carbon door panel after clearing. the second two shots are some pieces of bodywork in my trailer

Lou W
drooley.gif oooh, I like that, my friend told me that the Rivera Blue looked too much like Earl Schieb blue, that really messed me up. mad.gif
Lou W
I decided to go a different route on the suspension, I got a set of 914-6 front struts with "M" calibers and a set of rotors. I'm getting ready to send the struts out for powder coating and the rotors out to be bead blasted;
Lou W
Thank you Thomas, Ron, Joe, Aaron and Dan for helping with these and answering alot of dumb questions for me, it's quicker than looking them up in a book somewhere. happy11.gif
Lou W
This is the LAST bunch of parts to be zinc plated, this took a long time to do, but I figured it would be easier to keep track of my parts, you gotta feal sorry for the guy at the plating shop that does this for a living, it sure is hard on your fingers, twisting all the wire;

I noticed that my wiper assembly was repaired by the PO, so Ron had an extra one that I sent out to be plated.
Lou W
Last batch (hopefully) of plated parts came back, too bad once I put this back on the car you won't be able to see it. biggrin.gif
Lou W
I finished the Poly Bronze Bushing install, here I drilled and tapped the zirk fittings;
Lou W
I also installed the front set too, I had to gring off some of the powder coating to get the sleaves to fit;
Lou W
I'm sending out the front struts to get powder coated, I got the hubs sand blasted and thinking about having them powder coated too, has anyone had any experiences with powder coated hubs? I would think they would be fine as long as they don't spray the bearing race area.

I bought a set of bearings for the front off of eBay and they don't fit, so I ordered another set from the Bird, I should have bought it from them to begin with.
Aaron Cox
i wouldnt spray the lug area of the hubs either.... powder is mass, and it will affect the trueness of the mating surface where the wheel mounts....

leave the bubs bare smile.gif
Lou W
Ok, Thomas bead blasted the front hubs for me, thank you Thomas. thumb3d.gif
Lou W
Eric Shea set me up with the Bilsteins and the 930 turbo tie rod kit.
Lou W
Here's the front and rear suspensions coming together, Thomas had my calipers zinc plated;
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.