Full Version: Lou's Paint and bodywork progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Aaron Cox
outstanding progress lou!!!!!

cant wait to see it!

what color iz you gonna spray?
Lou W
Mexican Blue aka: Riviera Blue, Im gonig to smooth out the top, and paint both valances and rockers the same color too smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jan 12 2006, 08:47 PM)
Mexican Blue aka: Riviera Blue, Im gonig to smooth out the top, and paint both valances and rockers the same color too smile.gif

one of 2 soon to be painted 914's in mexico blue smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif

awesome!
Lou W
Aaron Cox Posted on Jan 12 2006, 08:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jan 12 2006, 08:47 PM)
Mexican Blue aka: Riviera Blue, Im gonig to smooth out the top, and paint both valances and rockers the same color too  

one of 2 soon to be painted 914's in mexico blue  

awesome!  

Who's the other one? huh.gif
r_towle
Now that is a first.

That car has been there so long it has grown right into the concrete floor...

Your gonna have to get help to get that car removed from that slab....

It looks like a trailer skirt going around it...

LOL
Rich
Lou W
Started the final block sanding today, I'm using 150 grit and a rubber sanding block. Sand it down so that's there is no orange peel;
Lou W
Another;
Lou W
Driver side rear panel;
Lou W
again;
Lou W
Nice and smooth;
Lou W
Rear trunk;
Lou W
Next, I will shoot a couple more thinned down coats of primer;
Lou W
Then, I'll finsh with 500 grit, before applying the sealer;
Lou W
Then , finally a finished color, Yahoo, I'm getting close. cool.gif
Lou W
I started cleaning the latched and catches, I used this, I let the parts soak for about an hour, then I scrubbed them with a parts brush, and rinsed them off and applied light oil to prevent rusting. It really worked well;
Lou W
I bought Engmans Stainless Steel Door Straps, and new rollers from Performance Products, the original ones were in pretty rough shape. The rollers arrived today, so I installed the parts;
Lou W
They cleaned up pretty good;
Eric_Shea
Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou... smilie_pokal.gif
jim_hoyland
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !
seanery
this looks great! clap.gif
Lou W
After taking the door strap assembly apart, and seen how worn down the strap and cracked the rollers were, I would strongly recomend that you take yours out and repair them. My drivers side brackets roller pin had elongated the mounting hole in the bracket itself, so I will most likely have to replace that one. huh.gif
craig downs
Hey Lou
If you shoot what they call a guide coat over the primer before you sand it it makes sanding alot easyer. Its just a fine mist like overspray of a contrasting color like in your case black.
Then do your final block sanding. When you sand all the guide coat off you're done and it will be nice smooth and flat. Also the guide coat will show all the low spots and scratches if any.
Looking real nice
Craig
Lou W
Craig,
Thanks for the input, that would have been the smart thing to do. I had considered doing that, but I was really focusing on the orange peel as my guide. when I do the deck lids and the doors, I will definately shoot a Guide Coat. smile.gif
Lou W
I started to work on the rocker panels that I bought from Dave (Korijo). First I stripped them with paint remover;
Lou W
another;
Lou W
I had to do a little bit of fiberglassing;
Lou W
I filled in the holes for the jack posts, I'm planning on using a scissor jack;
Lou W
I shot the final coat of primer last week, so now I'm block sanding again. I started off with 500 grit, I found it would hardly cut the primer, so I read the instructions huh.gif and, it said use 320 to 400 grit, so I'm using 360 grit instead and its making a big difference. smile.gif ;
Lou W
Here's a better picture;
Lou W
Close up;
Lou W
Right rear quarter;
Lou W
Passenger front;
Lou W
After I get the rest of the car blocked, hopefully this week, I'll shoot the sealer next. cool.gif
Eric Taylor
Looks really great. What color are you oing to shoot it?
Eric
TJB/914
Really great work Lou. smilie_pokal.gif

Sure would like to see a picture of the finished underside coating & clear coat. Keep those pictures coming.

Tom
Lou W
I got some more Powder Coated parts in today;
Lou W
Another picture, Different angle; biggrin.gif
Lou W
Getting the nuts and bolts ready to get plated, I just hope I can remember where they go;
Lou W
Another view, some of them look a little rusty, I dipped everything in Vineger and then I'll get them beed blasted before platting;
Lou W
Here's a picture of a couple parts that I bought from Bruce (he's a member here), they did a very good job plating these;
JoeSharp
Lou: I think I saw a picture of you blocking the inside of a fender well some where. I know you are a little extreme, I thought only Jim Hoyland was that anal.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
redshift
Wow! Nice stuff Lou! How long now til blast off?

Very nice!

M
Lou W
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Apr 3 2006, 11:00 PM)
Lou: I think I saw a picture of you blocking the inside of a fender well some where. I know you are a little extreme, I thought only Jim Hoyland was that anal.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

I got the front, rear and gas tank finished, now I'm blocking the engine compartment, what a pain in the ass.

I may need to hook up with you, i think I'm missing a couple bolts or so, last time that I was at your house I saw the bucket of bolts that you have, I'm sure you'll have what I need. smile.gif
Lou W
QUOTE (redshift @ Apr 3 2006, 11:13 PM)
Wow! Nice stuff Lou! How long now til blast off?

Very nice!

M

Thanks, Ah, it's not looking too good for early next year, my schedule is a slipping dry.gif

I just keep finding more things to do, DWD sad.gif
redshift
At least you are doing it (DWD) right.

Fantastic.

M
Elliot_Cannon
Where are you shooting the car? How are you controlling overspray? the car looks great so far. Can't wait for the final pics.
Cheers, Elliot
Lou W
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Apr 4 2006, 02:04 AM)
Where are you shooting the car? How are you controlling overspray? the car looks great so far. Can't wait for the final pics.
Cheers, Elliot

I'm shooting it in my garage. It will be shot in sections, I'll shoot the front trunk, gas tank area, engine bay and rear trunk one day, then I'll shoot the body the next, and then shoot the decks and doors after that. I'm going with a solid color, so I shouldn't have to worry about matching the paint like a metallic.

I've shot before in the garage and it worked fine, I just put plastic tarps up on the walls, wash the floor down, close the garage door and open the side door and use an exhaust fan.

I'm using the new HVLP guns, so overspray is minimal.
Grimstead
You’re doing a great job Lou. w00t.gif

Mind if I sneak my car over there to have the engine bay done? ph34r.gif happy11.gif
Lou W
The gun on the right is what I used for the primer, the one on the left is the detail gun which I'll use in the engine bay area, the area is a little tight. I'm getting another one to use for the final paint.
jsteele22

Lou,
Great work so far! I was curious (I know this might sound naive..) did you do all the underbody work from under the car, without a rotisserie ? Sounds like one helluva job.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.