Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lou's Paint and bodywork progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lou W
I got the hinges back from the powder coating shop, I decided to go with the Silver Hammer Tone color (I did the suspension Black Hammer Tone):
Lou W
And the Elephant Racing Mono Ball setup; wub.gif
Lou W
The staging area at the casa;
Lou W
The freezer, doesn't everybody keep their car parts in the freezer; biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
Eeets lukin realy gude lu! biggrin.gif
xitspd
Lou,

If you would have told me it was home delivery, I would have come over to help!

HAPPY NEW YEAR beerchug.gif

Dan
rick 918-S
thumb3d.gif
914-8
That's beautiful, man.
jim_hoyland
agree.gif Nice Lou !! Will we be seeing this beauty at a NARP jsharp.gif soon ??
Lou W
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 30 2006, 08:49 PM) *

agree.gif Nice Lou !! Will we be seeing this beauty at a NARP jsharp.gif soon ??

I wish I could say yes, but it's take a little longer than I planned on, life got in its way. sad.gif
Rleog
Thanks for this incredible thread. It's going to be very helpful for me this coming year. Your work is inspirational!
TJB/914
Hi Lou,

Happy New Year!!

I've been wondering how your doing on the restoration? Can't wait to see more pictures.

You are one sick puppy like many of us & admired by all 914-Land!!! pray.gif
It's going to be a beautiful 914. thumb3d.gif

Tom

TJB/914
Hi again Lou,

I just went back & searched the entire post. Don't want to put pressure on you, but what color have you decided on???????

Please, please let us know. My choice w/no preference, Yellow, Blue or Black?? Remember to paint the 914 a light yellow color to show off those beautiful powder coated parts. Opps, did I say no preference??

Tom
Aaron Cox
wicked...

when you gonna shoot it?
Dr. Roger
Lou,
Nobody can deny your attention to detail.

She's turning into something you will be proud of for a mighty long time. beerchug.gif

I look forward to seeing the finishing touches.

How about Alaskan blue? Or is that a metallic? Nevermind. =-P

Roger
TJB/914
Hey Lou,

How about we have a little fun with your color decision. Lets suggest interior colors to match the exterior??

How about.
Yellow/Black Plaid seats with a Yellow exterior?? thumb3d.gif

How about,
Silver/Black Plaid seats with a AlaskanBlue exterior?? popcorn[1].gif

Anybody have other suggestions?? If all else fails Lou ask the wife or GF.

Tom
TJB/914
Opps, it didn't come through

T
TJB/914
Opps, again

T
Lou W
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Color.... well... yes... I've it narrowed it down to the following biggrin.gif :

Mexican Blue with the black and grey houndstooth interior.

Phoenix Red with the black and grey houndstooth interior.

Lexus Yellow with the black and grey houndstooth interior.

Lexus Yellow with the black and yellow plaid interior.

Black with the black and grey houndtooth interior.

Black with the black and grey plaid interior.

Then there's the wheels... Deep Sixes, Mahles or Minilites.

confused24.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 31 2006, 12:41 PM) *

wicked...

when you gonna shoot it?

Im not sure at this point....Going thru the "Big D and I don't mean Dallas" btw, thats lyrics to a country western song biggrin.gif anyway...Looking to put the suspension back under it when I get the last couple of parts (Rear Spring Perches) back from the powder coater and the plating shop, then I'll be moving it to my new casa, there is a spot reserved for it in the garage right next to my old Chevy truck. I think I'm gonna go back into the parts collection mode for a little while until I get moved to a more permanent location. I got my eye on a six... drooley.gif Now is the time to go that direction before I go too much further. driving.gif
Lou W
Ok, back to work on the project, I ordered a set of torsion bars from "The Bird" I went with 21's;
Lou W
Here is the rear suspension in place, you can see the rear tie downs in this picture;
Lou W
Here is a picture of the tie downs that I bought from David Lee, they are very nice;
Lou W
Here is the monoball setup;
Lou W
Here is the front suspension going into place, I ended up buying a set of the Self Aligning A-Arm Bearing Mount Set from Tarret Engineering;
Lou W
It's kinda funny when you start putting all the parts back in place and trying to figure out which bolt, washer and nut go where. sad.gif I've also realized that some of the bolts are missing, so I've bought two set of the bolts and washers that I've needed, I'm going to send out one set to be yellow zinc plated and use the other set to get the car moved.

I busted off one of the zirk fittings last week, so Elephant Racing is sending me a replacement. Once I get that fitting, I'll install the front hubs, the steering column and put the wheels on and trailer it to my house.
TJB/914
Hi Lou,

What did I miss here??? What color will you paint the 914???? We all want to know.

It looks like it's still in primer.

Tom
AZ914
Lookin awesome Lou! Just so I don't have to read thru 9 pages again, what year front struts are you using and were those new inserts?

BTW.. I vote for Malaga Red <- see avatar smile.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 1 2007, 07:44 AM) *

Hi Lou,

What did I miss here??? What color will you paint the 914???? We all want to know.

It looks like it's still in primer.

Tom

biggrin.gif I've narrowed it down further....now I'm looking at Speed Yellow, or even maybe White. I can't make up my mind, fortunatley, I still have time to decide. dry.gif after welding up the sail panel holes and planning to go with a smooth top.... I re-drilled the holes for the panels and I decided to go back to the more stock look with the sail panels and the black top. I have decided to ditch the deck lids and stock bumpers and valances for the fiberglass ones, I'd like to go with the Gt style front end. I really like the way this Patrick Motorsports Car was done and would like to go more towards this style;
Lou W
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 1 2007, 09:43 AM) *

Lookin awesome Lou! Just so I don't have to read thru 9 pages again, what year front struts are you using and were those new inserts?

BTW.. I vote for Malaga Red <- see avatar smile.gif

I'm running 914-6 struts, and yes new Bilstein inserts.

Magna Red looks good too. smile.gif
Lou W
Finally, after 5 years, "Houston we have Touchdown", the car is finally of the jackstands, Thank you Joe Sharp for lending me the wheels and tires:
Eric_Shea
Damn Lou... you're doing a fantastic job on this one. smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 3 2007, 12:56 PM) *

Damn Lou... you're doing a fantastic job on this one. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks
So.Cal.914
So whats the plan Lou? Assemble and fit everything then tear down and paint?

Rolling tub then paint? confused24.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 3 2007, 06:16 PM) *

So whats the plan Lou? Assemble and fit everything then tear down and paint?

Rolling tub then paint? confused24.gif

I needed to put the suspension under it to move it, however, it's probably a little of both, the body is already straight. Some people have said that the glass decklids and I think possibly the glass bumpers may need some fine tuning for fit. I'd like to get all of that settled before I start painting. In addition, now that I have the suspension under it, I need to make a descision on the wheel tire combo and determine if I'll need to make any adjustments to the wheelwells. I'm sure that I'll remove some of the parts to paint the body.
So.Cal.914
The body looks great Lou, nice and straight. What are you useing for an

undercoating? I see you were hit by the jack point bandits, heard of this before.

Let me see if I can find that story... here it is.

Actually the theft of jack points has reached epidemic perportions. Jack point theft

rings out of California fan out across the western states and hit with out warning.

They are then smuggled into mexico by "green backs" who swallow them and

than illegally sneak across the border. There they are retrieved, melted down and

made into tacky patio furnature. Be thankful that they only got one.

Lucky thats all you lost Lou. biggrin.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 4 2007, 12:58 AM) *

The body looks great Lou, nice and straight. What are you useing for an

undercoating? I see you were hit by the jack point bandits, heard of this before.

Let me see if I can find that story... here it is.

Actually the theft of jack points has reached epidemic perportions. Jack point theft

rings out of California fan out across the western states and hit with out warning.

They are then smuggled into mexico by "green backs" who swallow them and

than illegally sneak across the border. There they are retrieved, melted down and

made into tacky patio furnature. Be thankful that they only got one.

Lucky thats all you lost Lou. biggrin.gif

Yah, no more jack posts. sawzall-smiley.gif

I used Body Schutz, it's really not undercoating, it's more of a texture finish. It's very similar to the stuff that they use on the rockerpanels and valances of alot of newer cars, it came in black and I shot clear over it to keep it cleaner.
BiG bOgGs
Here is a pic I saw a few years back. It has become my goal.

Click to view attachment
Lou W
Well, this is the most recent update on my car, here's a picture with my new wheels and tires, I decided to go with Superlites. The tires are BF Goodrich G Forces, 195/55-15's: willis.gif
degreeoff
Mann you have alot of cash in this little project!
Lou W
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 28 2007, 05:49 PM) *

Mann you have alot of cash in this little project!

agree.gif fortunatley, I'm doing most of the work myself, I couldn't afford to pay to have this stuff done, besides, I really enjoy it. smash.gif
xitspd
You did it and it has been done right! I have had much done by others and slide down a slippery path several times...... mad.gif

Thanks for your skilled help by the way!

Dan
914Tom
NICE

i hope i would be so far (is this right ?)

i like the wheels aktion035.gif

por73914
Lou the teener looks great! beerchug.gif
Coy
Lou,

It was great talking with you at Jamie's yesterday. I never checked out your thread before, but your car is going to be something else! Great job... keep it going!
JRust
Ditto Lou it looks great! You have way to much patience my friend. Killer looking car though. Great meeting you yesterday too
BKLA
I like the superlites!

Nice Car!
914Tom
hi lou,

i have a little question about your left front fender .....

what is this ????

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914
Looks like the holes showing thru from the inner fender well for the charcoal filter

tubes. Eather that or they are fender lip nipples. How about it Lou?
Lou W
QUOTE(914Tom @ Aug 6 2007, 01:08 AM) *

hi lou,

i have a little question about your left front fender .....

what is this ????

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 6 2007, 05:00 AM) *

Looks like the holes showing thru from the inner fender well for the charcoal filter

tubes. Eather that or they are fender lip nipples. How about it Lou?

Yup, holes for the charcoal filter. smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'm looking forward to moving the car from the storage unit in So Cal and getting back to work on it up here in Oregon. It went into storage in June. Watching the progress of other peoples cars, has me anxious to get work on mine again. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.