Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lou's Paint and bodywork progress thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Lou W
I've been watching Joe O'Brien's progress on the Turtlegirl car, he painted the underside first, before he painted the rest of the body.

The more I thought about doing it that way, the more it made sense, this way I can put the suspension back under it which allow me to roll the car around when I paint the exterior, and it will allow me to make any adjustments to the rear fenders for tire clearance before I put the finish paint on the car.

Here's the car back up in the air, I sure wish I had a rotiserie;
Lou W
The Rear;
Lou W
Getting ready to start some welding, we ended up with about 12 hours of welding, which included the Engman kit, GT kit, trunk and hell hole repairs.
Lou W
Original engine removed;
Lou W
Here is the pasenger side long, I've got the whole underside of the pasenger side done, still stripping the drivers side.
Lou W
Rear decklid hingesbefore removal;
Lou W
Hell hole and battery tray repair;
Aaron Cox
lookin gud lou smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
GT kit installation;
Lou W
Here is the installation of the Engman Chassis Kit;
Lou W
Rear trunk replacement and hell hole repair:
TimT
You garage is to clean LOL

nice work !!!
Lou W
Rear trunk panel replaced;
JB 914
Looking good Lou!

How did you strip the bottom? i'm curious and thinking about doing the same thing to mine. I've got a gallon of that POR-15 Hard Nose Black that is just itching to be used. biggrin.gif Would be enough for both my cars.
Lou W
I sprayed Castrol Super Clean (Purple Container) first to remove all the oil and grease, I did this two or three times. Then I used Aircraft Paint remover, you brush it on in one direction only. I then scraped and wiped it clean. I have a die grinder with a cleaning wheel attachment, I think its made by 3m, it does a great job of stripping the old paint off and ruffing the surface up enough to paint.

Then I shot the underside with 3m Body Schutz:
Tobra
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 16 2005, 08:28 PM)
Thanks Aaron, I just couldn't put all those powder coated suspension parts without doing this first. Now I just have to figure out how to keep it looking like this. biggrin.gif

Just leave it on the stands, simple.

Very pretty, I particularly like how the longs look
xitspd
smilie_pokal.gif Very nice Lou! I need to visit you and check out your progress. If you get a chance stop by during the HOLIDAYS.... wreath.gif
Series9
Looks great Lou. Keep the pictures coming. smilie_pokal.gif
vesnyder
Lou - Looks great! I am in the process of doind the same thing. Trying to get mine done by the time my front suspension parts get back from the powder coater - next week. Just could not put those clean suspension parts back on a body in the current condition! I am going to do half at a time!
TJB/914
Very nice Lou.

CW Tip.
A 356 CW guy gave me a tip to keep the underside looking good. He suggested a light coat of clear satin sprayed (one coat) after the Body Schutz. I did it on my car in a few places and it held up well over the years. Holds the body schutz color and real easy to clean off road dirt/dust. Try it in a small area before you decide.

Tom
Lou W
Thomas J Bliznik Posted on Dec 17 2005, 12:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very nice Lou.

CW Tip.
A 356 CW guy gave me a tip to keep the underside looking good. He suggested a light coat of clear satin sprayed (one coat) after the Body Schutz. I did it on my car in a few places and it held up well over the years. Holds the body schutz color and real easy to clean off road dirt/dust. Try it in a small area before you decide.

Tom  

It's funny, the comment about keeping it clean was somewhat in jest, but now you got me thinking, now would be the time to spray the clear...and it sure would look good...I think I may just do that, if I don't I'll probably regret it later.

We need a smiley face with a spray gun
TJB/914
Lou,

Be sure to use Clear Satin. You don't want it shiny. The clear fills in the porous Body Schutz surface. That's why the dirt & grime wash off easy. It also keeps the dark color fresh a long time.

Tom
Lou W
Thomas J Bliznik Posted on Dec 17 2005, 08:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lou,

Be sure to use Clear Satin. You don't want it shiny. The clear fills in the porous Body Schutz surface. That's why the dirt & grime wash off easy. It also keeps the dark color fresh a long time.

Tom  

Thanks Tom, This is what my paint supplier recomended, they said alot of the Hot Rod guys use this;
Lou W
I got the rest of the underside cleaned up and shot with the Body Shutz;
Lou W
another;
Lou W
nother;
Lou W
nother;
Aaron Cox
your a masochist!

lookin good!

AA
Lou W
Now I'm masking the topside so I can shoot the clear;
Lou W
again;
Lou W
Last one for now; smile.gif
Lou W
Aaron Cox Posted on Dec 30 2005, 09:21 PM
your a masochist!

lookin good!

AA  

biggrin.gif Damn, I just got to get this done. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
you ever want to drive the thing piratenanner.gif
Lou W
My goal this last summer was to have it back on the road by summer 2006, now I think its looking more like the end of 2006. dry.gif
JoeSharp
Soo Lou: Being a cabnetmaker I'm still looking for the missing drawer fronts and doors.
Selfconnicioussonaofbich....
Lookin guud
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Lou W
Joe Sharp Posted on Dec 30 2005, 09:38 PM
Soo Lou: Being a cabnetmaker I'm still looking for the missing drawer fronts and doors.
Selfconnicioussonaofbich....
Lookin guud
:PERMAGRIN: Joe  

biggrin.gif Yah, it really does bug me too, I need to measure them up, and get them ordered, turn around time is only a week. I guess that should be my goal for January. smile.gif
Lou W
I shot the clear on the underside last week, it turned out a little shinier than what I had hoped , but it still looks good. Im masking the underside in these shots;
Lou W
another;
Lou W
another, I took the spare tire jack mounts out of the trunk;
Lou W
I bought a new masking machine, it sure makes the job easier.
Lou W
After painting the clear with my old Binks spray gun, and all the overspray to deal with, I decided to buy a new Finex 300 series gun and also a new resperator;
Lou W
This is the primer that I used;
Lou W
Here are some shots after the top side was primered;
Lou W
another;
Lou W
again;
Lou W
Front trunk and Tank area;
Lou W
again;
Lou W
Here is a picture of my unfinished garage cabinents; biggrin.gif
Lou W
again;
Lou W
If one of our Club members would like my old spray guns (2), they are welcome to have them, you just have to pay for shipping. They are both in good condition, One is a Binks Model 7 with a Sharp Dripless Cup, the other is an Astro, its good for primering. With everything automotive going with HVLP in California, including me, I would rather give these to someone who could use them.
Update, they've found a new home. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.