Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiid's Project Progress Thead.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
fiid
This is the center console guage cluster. I'm going to have to make a new panel for it.

Right now I have the trick VDO oil pressure setup (with warning light as well) from the 914.

Coolant temp (although it doesnt' seem to be reading like it did on the bench sad.gif )

and Voltage.

I have a small fuel guage to go down there and a boost pressure guage as well.

fiid
This is the idle air control valve. It's a solenoid that can pull open and shut. The shut side has a resistor pack to ground, and the megasquirt controls the open side. The open and shut sides fight with each other to make a fully adjustable idle, and the MS will target a given RPM - so you enter that RPM with a laptop.
fiid
This is the MAT sensor. It's from a GM turbocharged car from the mid-80s. I didn't have the right connector, so I "did it right" and soldered the wires straight to the pins and filled the socket space with a glue gun to provide some strain relief wacko.gif wacko.gif smilie_pokal.gif
fiid
The Innovate LC-1. Awesome piece of kit.
fiid
This nest is Bowlsby's worst nightmare lol2.gif lol2.gif This is the megasquirt and the EDIS module and also the air filters. I used a small secondary filter for the idle air since it's tricky to route a 3/4" hose through a 1"radius turn for 90 degrees.

TonyAKAVW
LOOKING GOOD!!! Well, that wiring could use some attention, but otherwise, congrats on getting it out of the garage under its own power!

Are you planning on going back to the dual turbo setup with this car at some point, or just keeping the single turbo?

-Tony
fiid
I think I'm going to stay single turbo. The aftermarket for the single turbo is ripe, and even people that have had very good experiences with the twin turbo setup have still gone back to the single turbo setup.

If I get to a point where I need more power I might go to a ball bearing turbo or something, but there's plenty of options and plenty of things to do before I need to go that far smile.gif

airsix
I'm just very relieved to see that I'm not the only (turbo) guy running intake parts that came from Home Depot. laugh.gif

Just kidding. Fiid, I'm very excited to see you making this progress. I was bumbed when I thought you had dumped the project. Keep posting - this is great stuff.

-Ben M.
fiid
Thanks! I'm glad I stuck with it now - it's really keeping me awake at night thinking of driving it to work a couple of times a week.

LOL. ABS is cheap, and easy to put together, seals well, and you can screw anything into it. I pressure tested the fittings and got them to hold 30lbs (you have to do the clamps up REALLY tight), so they ought to be sufficient for 15lbs of turbo boost smile.gif.

All the ports (i.e. where that temp sensor is screwed in) were done by drilling a hole, making it the right size and then just screwing the right npt thread into it.

I realise it's not going to work forever: What do you guys recommend for a replacement strategy?

SpecialK
What are you expecting for inlet temps? I think that ABS starts to deform around 185F or something like that.
fiid
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Oct 25 2005, 01:23 PM)
What are you expecting for inlet temps? I think that ABS starts to deform around 185F or something like that.

Good to know. I wouldn't expect the intake to get hotter than like 130-140 degrees, but I haven't done any math on that...

airsix
QUOTE (fiid @ Oct 25 2005, 02:58 PM)
Good to know. I wouldn't expect the intake to get hotter than like 130-140 degrees, but I haven't done any math on that...

My datalog showed I hit 194 F for a few seconds one day last year. (No intercooler)
-Ben M.
fiid
how much boostola are you running?
airsix
QUOTE (fiid @ Oct 25 2005, 03:36 PM)
how much boostola are you running?

Well, I messed up the linkage on my wastegate around that time and it didn't have enough travel so the boost would creep if I stayed on it beyond 3rd gear. I hit 2.0 bar a couple of times before I figured out what was happening and fixed the wastegate linkage.

-Ben M.
fiid
I logged 147 degrees this evening with only 6 lbs of boost. I see why air-to-air intercoolers work laugh.gif

I need to find a place that does turbo projects smile.gif

mongrel-gs
Thanks for posting the pic of the idle air control solenoid, it reminded me that I should probably have that hooked up. Idles much better now! biggrin.gif

Glad to see you project is on the road!

Evan
fiid
biggrin.gif

No pics this weekend - but lots of progress.

I have been fighting with the cooling system a little bit. It took me a long time to figure out why it would boil over every time. I was truly beginning to appreciate the simplicity of an aircooled engine when ..... I finally figured it out.

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

My coolant hose was within 1" of the header. The radiant heat from the header was boiling the coolant in the hose, before the engine was warmed up and the coolant was actually flowing to the radiator, so it would boil over before the fans kicked in or any radiator flow was happening at all.

This was cured by cable-tieing the hose back out of the way - which seems to work nicely.

beerchug.gif

Now on to the next problem - the engine seems to "miss" occasionally when I get up above 3k RPM. I'm thinking this could be caused by the EDIS wheel reading getting interference - or perhaps something more sinister.

I got some small taste of available power - and it was... NICE. I don't think I have more than half of what will be available post tuning and proper boost control, however.

mueba.gif
ClayPerrine
I hope the engine runs better than it looks, 'cause it looks like an electrician's scrap bin in there!!!!! wink.gif

fiid
Thanks! It's a bit of a mess, but I have made virtually no effort towards tidying it up. The circuits in play may change more so I'm just making sure there's sufficient room to move stuff around again if I need to.

boldblue.gif
ClayPerrine
I hope you aren't offended by my comment.. I don't mean anything by it. I am a bit obsessive when it comes to wiring, in both my professional life and my hobbies. My tools get scattered over the garage, my parts are all over the place, but wiring... well, I can't STAND a rats nest of wires. I have to straighten them out and make them neat and tidy. I am just weird that way........ wacko.gif
fiid
No offense taken at all. The car is a complete trainwreck in terms of wiring. As soon as everything is running right I'll start worrying about that, welding the trunk back in (turns out I can have a more or less complete rear trunk smile.gif and paint.

Need to get the GT flares on as well at some point. Many miles left to travel.

lol2.gif

fiid
Latest News:

I picked up an oscilloscope on craigslist about a week ago which has been really useful. Firstly - I found out that my idle air control was jammed at full open because I bolted a power transistor directly to the case of the megasquirt - grounding out a connection that wasn't supposed to be grounded. After a bit more work - the idle air is working perfectly - it will sit there at almost exactly 800RPM once it's warmed up. I still have a bit more tuning work to do to get the startup value correct, but it's looking pretty good at this point.

--

I discovered that I had the megasquirt configured incorrectly for the ignition module. This meant that my timing was stuck at 10o BTDC. I think this was the cause of the misfire - basically - the mixture was burning too late and spoiling all the fun.

--

All this came together last night when I spent some time to clean up some of my wiring (it's not perfect yet, but I removed about 5-10 feet of excess wire which was just sitting in a crowsnest, so it's looking a lot neater.

I fired it up, and took it for a spin and had a really nice experience - asides from being a little loud (perpetuated by the almost total lack of sound deadening material and no engine lid) the car ran really well and pulled strong once I got it up to like 2krpm and hard on the gas. I took it up to 5k and it was running nicely. My redline should be at 7k (I think I'm going to split an eardrum.

Me = Happy.

The 911 suspension on the front end is working really nicely too (thanks to Steve/ShogunEagle). Brakes are a lot stronger thanks to new rotors and pads front and rear, and removal of the stock prop valve. I have an
A-caliper front end on the car, and the rear is stock 5-lug.

I also cut a radiator hole in the front bumper and got some weldable expanded steel (almost matches the engine lid) to go in there.

I'll post some pics when I take some more.

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

eric914
I am proceeding on a similar route as you. I have a EJ20G single turbo motor that I intend to Squirt. Would you mind sharing your fuel and spark maps and how you chose to implement COP? Any insight would be helpful. I will be tackling this after the holiday season is over.
fiid
QUOTE (eric914 @ Nov 16 2005, 10:42 AM)
I am proceeding on a similar route as you. I have a EJ20G single turbo motor that I intend to Squirt. Would you mind sharing your fuel and spark maps and how you chose to implement COP? Any insight would be helpful. I will be tackling this after the holiday season is over.

You're welcome to all the info I have, but my maps really aren't very developed yet. I'm currently running the car on 87 (bad decision - I'm changing to premium as soon as I use up the current tank), and really haven't spent all that much time tuning the thing.

I'm running a ford EDIS module for spark - seems to work really well - I am using the ford coilpack and plug wires. It's a wasted spark setup, instead of Coil on plug. I do have a set of coils for COP but they don't have ignitors, so it will take extra electronics to get that going.
jsteele22
Sounds fun ! I'm curious about what "redline" means. I always thought it was just a limit set by the strength of the engine components - go above redline and somethings gonna break. Do you mean the RPM where the engine is at max power ?

BTW, those power transistors with the heat sink connected to a non-ground terminal are a pain. If it is running hot, you can buy (from Digikey, fer example) a thin pad to electrically insulate the transistor from a grounded heat sink. Do a search for "heat sink pad", and (I assume) TO-220 size. Under a buck, and if it keeps the transistor from burning out once, probably worth it.
fiid
I've read in a couple of places that the stock redline on this engine is 7k, but I've never seen a USDM subaru with a 7k redline, so I figured I might set the rev limiter a little lower (6500) just to keep the engine running a little longer. It's taken me so long to get this far I don't really want to break it smile.gif.

Anyone know what the redline on the WRX is?

I need to mount the transistor properly at some point, but it doesn't get even warm right now. It's on a plastic stand-off post that is double sided stickytaped to the PCB. Now I talk about it - I instantly regret my decision to do that. dry.gif
jsteele22
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 17 2005, 02:27 PM)

I need to mount the transistor properly at some point, but it doesn't get even warm right now. It's on a plastic stand-off post that is double sided stickytaped to the PCB. Now I talk about it - I instantly regret my decision to do that. dry.gif

Actually, I realized after I posted that if the transistor is only for driving the IAC, it probably wouldn't get that hot. But ya never know....
fiid
Hey all,

Jeff Keyser came over today and we did some tweaking and fixed some little annoyances with the car...

1. We spent some time just tweaking the idle, and trying to get the mixture and Idle Air Control functioning properly.

2. We fiex the lsatch for the rear trunklid. My Latch has never worked right, but now it does actually hold the lid down, so it doesn't bang when I go over bumps anymore.

3. We mounted the front bumper with cutout and mesh welded in. It looks pretty nice... I'm quite happy.

We then went for a bit of a spin. Jeff was able to iron out a bunch of issues with the fuel map and we discovered that even though I am only running 6psi boost - it's still wickedly quick.

The next problem I have is that my 205s on 7s don't fit under the rear fenders and rub a little bit during cornering. Time to fit those GT flares smile.gif

So.... fast..... smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
fiid
Oh - I also realised it's a daft idea to run the car on 87 octane, so I put in some octane booster. I expect to be running it on premium from now on.

banksyinoz
the sti conversion ive posted pics of has an 8k redline/limmiter stock its an 04 so the wrx would mostlikely be 6.5-7k
mightyohm
I had a great time at Fiid's yesterday. For anyone who has never seen it, Megasquirt is COOL. His engine purrs at idle and really moves on the throttle, and it's not anywhere close to being tuned yet, plus he has it dialed down to 6 psi max boost!!! His car makes me think dirty thoughts about putting my own car on the chopping block for a JDM Subie conversion with Megasquirt... idea.gif The best part is, it still sounds vaugely like a 914, but without all clacking valves! I was really impressed with Fiid's mastery of the fuel injection on that car and his custom turbo plumbing and cooling system. Hopefully some of the local guys will get to see it at the next breakfast! cool.gif
fiid
biggrin.gif Thanks Jeff!

It's awesome to have a little more experience with engines around. I don't really know crap about fuel mixtures or what the sounds, smells and look of spark plugs ought to be. I've spent most of my time futzing with cars trying to fix broken things and not on tuning.

I'm totally stoked to get my boost level up. The stock WRX runs at 13-15psi boost, so I've got a long ways to go; and theres going to be a lot of power once that gets lit up beer.gif

I'm going to have scads of family around for thanksgiving but should be wrenching the weekend after - trying to get the car ready to head down to the Brunch at iHop.
DNHunt
Fiid

That sounds great. When you get to tuning the AF mixture look into the new Autotune feature in Megatune. I have't tried it yet but the comments sound encouraging. You're going to have a rocket. smilie_pokal.gif

Dave

fiid
WHOA!!! That is TOO COOL. Definately going to give that a try!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Thanks for the link Dave!!
jsteele22
Hey fiid,

This is really exciting to watch. I'm (still....) waiting for my EJ25 to come, and I've been reading up on MegaSquirt. Sounds like you've got plenty of eyes over your shoulder, but I just wanted to mention something -- sorry if this is way too obvious. Be VERY careful about detonation (pinging). Although MegaSquirt has an input for a knock sensor, the latest code that I've looked at doesn't actually do anything with it. So if you raise boost and start pinging, MS won't do anything to stop it. Since this can easily destroy your engine, you might want to hold off on raising the boost until you gain more experience getting the lower pressure part of the map dialed in. Especially if you test out AutoTune (which does sound totally cool, BTW.)

Man, you've come a looong way on this build. Have an awesome ride.

(the other) Jeff
fiid
I'm running the Megasquirt-N-Spark Extra codebase. The knock sensor setup is adjustable, and we (JeffK and I) think that we haven't actually had any detonation yet, despite the sensor picking it up. We're showing a logged 2 degree retard on the first knock followed by extra retard degrees for subsequent knocks; I'm reasonably sure it is working right since that's the described behaviour for the code.

Thanks for bringing this up though - I definately don't want to do any damage to this engine, and it's something I'm acutely aware (and scared of). I'm thinking some dyno time is going to be necessary to make sure the whole range of the map is running right and in the safe zone.

jsteele22
Cool. I won't worry any more. I was looking at MegaSquirt-II, and I gather it doesn't have as much built into it yet as the older code. You just had me a bit concerned when you said "I don't really know crap about fuel mixtures" follwed by "I'm totally stoked to get my boost level up."

BTW, how is that Suby in terms of turbo lag ? I drive a '97 Saab 900 SE turbo, and it's awesome on the highway (and two-lane country roads...) but I'm a little disappointed in my normal stoplight-to-stoplight driving. Do you get decent acceleration from a standstill to, say, 20 MPH ?
fiid
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Nov 22 2005, 09:51 AM)

Cool.  I won't worry any more.  I was looking at MegaSquirt-II, and I gather it doesn't have as much built into it yet as the older code.  You just had me a bit concerned when you said "I don't really know crap about fuel mixtures" follwed by "I'm totally stoked to get my boost level up."

laugh.gif Yeah - I get what you mean... that does sound dumb. biggrin.gif What I meant was: I don't trust myself to smell mixture or hear pining since I think I could miss it easily - so I rely on my LC1 and on knock sensors and the like.

One of the Megasquirt people suggested overadvancing the ignition at idle to create pinging and using that to tune the knock sensor (and perhaps my ear smile.gif ).

BTW, how is that Suby in terms of turbo lag ?  I drive a '97 Saab 900 SE turbo, and it's awesome on the highway (and two-lane country roads...) but I'm a little disappointed in my normal stoplight-to-stoplight driving.  Do you get decent acceleration from a standstill to, say, 20 MPH ?

It's not a rocket ship from pull off just yet. There are some things I can do to improve that I think - I have this enormous rice exhaust that has a 1.5"" insert in the muffler which is removable. If I take it out it horks my tuning since there isn't enough flow for the oxygen sensor - it gets too much fresh air at low revs. But I think the turbo spools more quickly without the backpressure.

I'm also kind of happy about this though since it means that I get the revs up a bit before the real power comes which is likely to be the saving grace for my 901 transmission. Once the boost does kick in, the thing just takes off.

w00t.gif driving.gif
lapuwali
I certainly hope you drive this thing to the breakfast. I've been really looking forward to seeing it.
jsteele22
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 22 2005, 12:09 PM)
[
I'm also kind of happy about this though since it means that I get the revs up a bit before the real power comes which is likely to be the saving grace for my 901 transmission. Once the boost does kick in, the thing just takes off.

Yeah, that part is pretty cool. Takes a little getting used to when you start from rest and accelerate around a wide corner. Wish I could make it to that breakfast...

fiid
I've been talking with a guy (Big thanks if you're reading!) in the UK who used to have the twin turbo legacy that this engine came out of. He's provided a lot of great info on the stock ECU which I should be able to leverage in my tuning. He had the following to say about the engine:

If you ever make 21psi you should be 350 ftlbs ish.  At that boost a single
detonation event could and probably will fracture a piston between the ring
lands. I speak from experience.

Looking at your piccies it looks like you have a 250 ps engine from a bg5a
legacy - ie like my old one.  It should make for good performance!  If you
tune it it will be, well, scary!  

smilie_pokal.gif
jsteele22
QUOTE (fiid @ Nov 22 2005, 05:08 PM)
If you ever make 21psi you should be 350 ftlbs ish. At that boost a single
detonation event could and probably will fracture a piston between the ring
lands. I speak from experience.

Cool. Then you wouldn't need to bother with the knock sensor....
fiid
av-943.gif

Yeah - no $#!+.

(Fiid sits at side of road waiting for a tow).... "Guess it knocked!".

chairfall.gif
mightyohm
Does the knock sensor board in the megasquirt interface with the stock Subaru knock sensor on the engine? Is the megasquirt board thought of as a reliable solution or is it experimental? I think the only safe way to avoid knock is to keep your advance and boost at sane levels, and err on the side of rich for the AFR. Maybe you could find the advance vs rpm and map curves for a stock engine?

fiid
Yah. I think NOT running 21 pounds is a great idea - 350ftlbs from a 4 cyl will make short work of a 901, and besides. I'd settle for 250-280.

The knock solution I have is somewhat experimental.

I now have the stock AFR target table and advance tables, so I know what ballpark the engine is intended to run in although they aren't quite the same axis as the megasquirt (Load instead of MAP, etc).

I think by staying relatively conservative there's a lot of success and happiness to be had. Next up though is Muellers 2x4 & Sledge fender tuning.... smile.gif :bfh:

soloracer
Are you using a wide band O2 sensor to datalog your mixtures? If not I suggest getting an Innovate LM-1. It's a very good unit and will be invaluable during tuning.
fiid
I have an LC-1 - I violently agree - they are awesome. I do my datalogging off the Megasquirt.
fiid
On Saturday the esteemed Mr Keyzer came over again to help with the project. He did an awesome job of beating my fenders out so they clear my 205s. We spend a little time fixing some idle control problems and also rose the ride height up a little bit.

Today I pretty much dared myself to drive the car to work - which went off without incident. It's about 20 miles from my house to work - nearly all on the freeway. The car cruises really nicely. I forgot how smooth my suspension setup is once it gets up to speed - just irons the bumps out - definately smoother than the miata - and it just hangs on through all the corners. Exceptional.

I did experience a few problems with the idle control system on the megasuirt before the car had warmed up properly. Still some work to do there I think, but I have some ideas on what to do next.

Very exciting.... will report more when I know more!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
fiid
Minor update - did a bunch of work today to try and get the car ready for AX tomorrow. Good news is I think I can run it!!!

Did a bunch of driving and it looks like the cooling system is working fine. I think a lot of my problem might have been caused by various air bubbles in the cooling system.

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'll try and get an in-car video soon!

P.S. Experienced throttle steer for the first time today smile.gif Woohoo.
fiid
Oh - yeah - in other news - it's also running Megasquirt II now - which seems to be very smooth and running well!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.