Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have an idea to help new member Mary Shortridge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Sleepin
agree.gif

You might have a market for those and other hard to find decals Mary!
Mary Shortridge
If anyone ever needs help with something like this, let me know. I would be THRILLED to help 914world people!!!
rick 918-S
Hi Mary bye1.gif

Mike, Does Buttercup need the plastic rivets that hold on the rocker trim? I just remembered have a set of new ones I can send. I think they are the black ones.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2009, 12:21 PM) *

Hi Mary bye1.gif

Mike, Does Buttercup need the plastic rivets that hold on the rocker trim? I just remembered have a set of new ones I can send. I think they are the black ones.

Hi Rick,

I have to think they are needed - I have yet to get a sill off the car with out snipping them. Is that what you are referencing (like the ones Tod sells?)

The question is what color will the sills be?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 5 2009, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2009, 12:21 PM) *

Hi Mary bye1.gif

Hi Rick,

I have to think they are needed - I have yet to get a sill off the car with out snipping them. Is that what you are referencing (like the ones Tod sells?)

The question is what color will the sills be?

Yes, I seem to remember buying a bunch of those from Tod. I'll check but I think the ones I have a black. Black sills, black rivets. bright sill, white or translusent rivets...

EDIT: Ok, just went out and checked. I have 14 black rivets and a bunch of white/clear type rivets. (I mean a bunch)

I think Tod sells the white/clear ones. The black ones may be something I have had in the storage bin for 20 years. They may be NLA.

Oh, BTW: My rocker trim has aluminum rivets... screwy.gif biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2009, 05:01 PM) *

Yes, I seem to remember buying a bunch of those from Tod. I'll check but I think the ones I have a black. Black sills, black rivets. bright sill, white or translusent rivets...

EDIT: Ok, just went out and checked. I have 14 black rivets and a bunch of white/clear type rivets. (I mean a bunch)

I think Tod sells the white/clear ones. The black ones may be something I have had in the storage bin for 20 years. They may be NLA.

Oh, BTW: My rocker trim has aluminum rivets... screwy.gif biggrin.gif

Mary - Do you know if you were going with aluminum (natural color) or black door sills?
rick 918-S
Mary, Here's what were talking about.

Here's a black trim panel

Click to view attachment

Here's a bright trim panel. Notice the aluminum rivets hold the panel to the car. These are not correct.

Click to view attachment

Here are the very small plastic rivets that secure the panel to the car. Black rivets for the black panel.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Hey Ya'll, small hijack here, but can you figure out what days around the 3-4 of Nov will be best for you and how I can be of help there? I might could rebuild her gear box while I am out there. It would only take a day and I can work on assembling the parts. After the interview on the 5th would be best for me so I am not worn out for it. Maybe the weekend before. Let me know so I can purchase my ticket as I need to do so soon smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 5 2009, 09:57 PM) *

Hey Ya'll, small hijack here, but can you figure out what days around the 3-4 of Nov will be best for you and how I can be of help there? I might could rebuild her gear box while I am out there. It would only take a day and I can work on assembling the parts. After the interview on the 5th would be best for me so I am not worn out for it. Maybe the weekend before. Let me know so I can purchase my ticket as I need to do so soon smile.gif

Hi Mike,

Not a hijack at all - very germane to the topic - and a great chance I will see it!

I need to call Mary today so I can ask her about her schedule (among other things).
Dr Evil
Cool, let me know and I will buy the plane ticket. smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 29 2009, 11:53 AM) *

I will be packing up my shipment and it should be on it's way Thursday or Friday! wink.gif

Hi Eric,

Just a quick note to let you know your parts arrived - thanks so much!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2009, 11:17 PM) *

Package shipped today.

Dr Evil,

Thanks so much - your parts arrived in Kansas Tuesday.

914World Members are the best! thumb3d.gif

Cheers.
Dr Evil
aktion035.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 7 2009, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 29 2009, 11:53 AM) *

I will be packing up my shipment and it should be on it's way Thursday or Friday! wink.gif

Hi Eric,

Just a quick note to let you know your parts arrived - thanks so much!

Very nice! Looking forward to more pics! piratenanner.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 5 2009, 09:50 PM) *

Mary, Here's what were talking about.

Here's a black trim panel

Click to view attachment

Here's a bright trim panel. Notice the aluminum rivets hold the panel to the car. These are not correct.

Click to view attachment

Here are the very small plastic rivets that secure the panel to the car. Black rivets for the black panel.

Click to view attachment

Rick:
Just got back to Garden City last night, I plan to go see Buttercup today. I'll let you know! Thanks so much!
~Mary
rick 918-S
OK kiddo! bye1.gif icon_bump.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 13 2009, 03:50 PM) *

OK kiddo! bye1.gif icon_bump.gif

Rudy says they are aluminum... It is MISERABLE weather here, so the shop doors were all closed down and I didn't go looking for them in the back. It was pretty dark for taking photos today, but let me know if you want me to take some on a nicer day.
I took some of Buttercup.... she is entirely yellow. GORGEOUS! Better looking than I ever dreamed...
The Buttercup Project continues to amaze me...
~Mary
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 13 2009, 05:46 PM) *

Rudy says they are aluminum... It is MISERABLE weather here, so the shop doors were all closed down and I didn't go looking for them in the back. It was pretty dark for taking photos today, but let me know if you want me to take some on a nicer day.
I took some of Buttercup.... she is entirely yellow. GORGEOUS! Better looking than I ever dreamed...
The Buttercup Project continues to amaze me...
~Mary

Mary,

That has to be exciting - I have been waiting to see new paint on my car for 28 years! Let me kow when you have uploaded the photos to your FLICKR and I will add them to the set I have linked to in my signature.

Everyone is waiting to see new pictures and as RobW said in an email to me "We are rooting for you"
rick 918-S
OK, I will send out the white ones.
Mary Shortridge
I went to the shop today to see Buttercup........she looks AMAZING! Rudy says she'll look better after he gets her buffed.... I can't imagine!
It is fun to see her on wheels again, she has been on jacks for so long. (My husband has the new wheels picked out!)
Rudy says Dan took photos of her as she was being painted, so when I get those I'll post. But in the meantime, I hope you all realize how much we appreciate your support, to resurrect Lee's dream. This is just amazing...
~Mary & family
P.S. The photos don't begin to do her justice. The shop doors were down---if we're lucky we'll get a sunny day and I'll take more pictures.
Ferg
biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
Sleepin
Looks Great!!!

What wheels will be going on her Mary?
Kansas 914
Updated pictures on my FLICKR site - see my signature for a link.
cwleveck
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 13 2009, 04:37 PM) *

Update pictures on my FLICKR site - see my signature for a link.

I'm a new member but would like to help. Will spend more time later tonight reading all of the thread but would like to offer my assistance in providing parts if needed at no cost other than shipping. Illness is forcing me to unload several projects and I currently have three rollers plus additional parts including a couple of engines. Please let me know what you need and I would be happy to "scavenge" what I can for you.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(cwleveck @ Oct 13 2009, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 13 2009, 04:37 PM) *

Update pictures on my FLICKR site - see my signature for a link.

I'm a new member but would like to help. Will spend more time later tonight reading all of the thread but would like to offer my assistance in providing parts if needed at no cost other than shipping. Illness is forcing me to unload several projects and I currently have three rollers plus additional parts including a couple of engines. Please let me know what you need and I would be happy to "scavenge" what I can for you.

Welcome Chris, Nice first post! welcome.png tunez.gif If in addition to your generous offer you are also wanting to sell some of your 914 stuff we have a great classified section with lots of traffic.

As long as your here post a into thread with some pics. Tell us about yourself.
Kansas 914
Buttercup in the Sunshine!

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the update Mary - the car is striking!

dlee6204
Wow that looks awesome!
number6
The car looks awesome!

I haven't forgotten about the exhaust or carpet. Things have just been a little hectic here, but I will get them out soon!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 15 2009, 07:40 PM) *

Buttercup in the Sunshine!

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the update Mary - the car is striking!

Can't wait to nominate it for COTM.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(number6 @ Oct 16 2009, 01:07 AM) *

The car looks awesome!

I haven't forgotten about the exhaust or carpet. Things have just been a little hectic here, but I will get them out soon!

-duc,

Take your time - you have been very generous already. It will be awhile before those parts are needed.

Thanks again!
Kansas 914
One more in the sun.

Click to view attachment

Cheers!
914Sixer
Looking good.
Mary Shortridge
Carrie and Allen came to Garden City today, so I was pleased to show them Buttercup! She looks a LOT different than the last time they saw her! I'll attach a photo of Dan, Rudy, Carrie and Allen basking in our Kansas sun today!
~Mary
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 17 2009, 05:28 PM) *

Carrie and Allen came to Garden City today, so I was pleased to show them Buttercup! She looks a LOT different than the last time they saw her! I'll attach a photo of Dan, Rudy, Carrie and Allen basking in our Kansas sun today!
~Mary

That is so cool to see them with the car - they were there when it all started!

So.... Did they approve??? smile.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 17 2009, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 17 2009, 05:28 PM) *

~Mary

That is so cool to see them with the car - they were there when it all started!

So.... Did they approve??? smile.gif

YEP! I thought it was funny that Carrie was excited that the emergency brake works! I appreciate that Dan is thorough---I hadn't even noticed that.
This car is so bright in our sunshine, you could see her for miles!
PanelBilly
I just haven't been paying attention to this thread until today. I think its my turn to put something into the project. Is the needs list up to date?

Hey I could offer to sand the car back down to primer and paint it a few times...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 17 2009, 07:47 PM) *

I just haven't been paying attention to this thread until today. I think its my turn to put something into the project. Is the needs list up to date?

Hey I could offer to sand the car back down to primer and paint it a few times...

Hi Billy,

Yep - the parts needed is up to date - though it might change a bit after I visit the project again the first week of November. The engine may need a P&C kit and a new throttle body. The engine is being assessed more this week. At first inspection the heads might be okay - but we will know more this week.

Thanks for taking a look - and I will have Mary get back to you on the sanding offer... biggrin.gif

How is your gorgeous project coming along?

Cheers!
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 17 2009, 06:37 PM) *

Hi Billy,

Yep - the parts needed is up to date - though it might change a bit after I visit the project again the first week of November. The engine may need a P&C kit and a new throttle body. The engine is being assessed more this week. At first inspection the heads might be okay - but we will know more this week.

Thanks for taking a look - and I will have Mary get back to you on the sanding offer... biggrin.gif

How is your gorgeous project coming along?

Cheers!

Cut & bufffed the trunk today. My arms are killing me. I still need to buff one of the headlight covers and I'm done with the body, well except for the rockers, front /back valance and targa top.

A&PGirl
Shoot, I look like I'm going to kneel over in that pic. Guess I was hungry. chowtime.gif
Mary, we saved an hour or more going home on the route we talked about at lunch in the mid afternoon.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Dr Evil
This was far down. I finally purchased the tickets to come into Wichita.....I thought I had already done it and wish that I did. They were $40 more and i have to connect through Chi-town. dry.gif Ah well. I arrive on the 3rd and have dinner that night with the residents of the family practice program there, interview on the 4th until about 3pm, then it is off to Mary's anytime after that to check out the car and transmission. I leave from Wichita on the afternoon of the 6th so anything goes between my interview and the departing flight smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 21 2009, 05:41 PM) *

This was far down. I finally purchased the tickets to come into Wichita.....I thought I had already done it and wish that I did. They were $40 more and i have to connect through Chi-town. dry.gif Ah well. I arrive on the 3rd and have dinner that night with the residents of the family practice program there, interview on the 4th until about 3pm, then it is off to Mary's anytime after that to check out the car and transmission. I leave from Wichita on the afternoon of the 6th so anything goes between my interview and the departing flight smile.gif

WTG Doc! clap56.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Oct 13 2009, 06:35 PM) *

Looks Great!!!

What wheels will be going on her Mary?

Sorry to be so slow to respond. I couldn't find my AA catalog, and have been down with the flu for 8+ days. It is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!
The wheels planned are 914 Fuchs repr, B730-5530
Any advice on tires is appreciated!
I am FINALLY going to get to go see the engine this weekend, and bring the transmission back home so Dr Mike/Evil and Mike can take a look on Thursday. I am SO looking forward to a day of Buttercup fun! I am bringing my dad down on Wednesday, Thursday will be his first look at her. I don't think he has seen her since the early nineties, but I may be wrong.
I PROMISE I'll post photos! Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Mary Shortridge

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EdwardBlume
Mike,

I have the air flaps. Do you need one or two?

Rob

BTW - Mary.. the car looks fantastic... can't wait to see you and your family in it!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 29 2009, 07:37 PM) *

Mike,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Let me check next week when I am on-site and can confirm the number needed. I don't remember seeing any - but those are easily hid under other parts.

Thanks!
Mary Shortridge

Mike,

Rob

BTW - Mary.. the car looks fantastic... can't wait to see you and your family in it!

Errrrrrrr...............What are air flaps?
I can't wait to have the family picture taken with Buttercup. Won't be hard for the photographer to get us to smile!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 29 2009, 07:48 PM) *

Mike,

Rob

Errrrrrrr...............What are air flaps?

I can't wait to have the family picture taken with Buttercup. Won't be hard for the photographer to get us to smile!

Mary,

They are small - and rubber/plastic and are missing on a LOT of cars - but they help cool the engine. I think they started to appear on cars in '73 - I know my '72 never had them - but my ''74 does. I have a picture somewhere I will try and find it.
Mary Shortridge
I went to pick up the transmission today. Dwayne is so patient to explain what all the engine parts are. I have read up on this stuff, but it is SO much easier to understand when I can actually see it. Dwayne was working on a VW engine today, but he thinks he'll be done with Buttercup's in about two weeks, if the parts come in as expected. He plans to call me when he puts it all back together, so I can watch! (I promised not to ask to many questions.....)
I'll attach a photo I took of Dwayne, with a little arm twisting! I am also posting photos from all angles of the transmission.
Also....I am taking the dash up to Nebraska to buy some wood for it this week. Now that I am looking at it closely, it is incredibly rusty. Darn those mice!!! I can clean up the rust, but there are places where it has rusted thru. Shall I find another one? There is a guy that parts out 914s up by my dad's, so it shouldn't be hard to find one. Advice is appreciated! (this is the time, while it is apart, right???)
Mary Shortridge
Oops, I didn't get all the photos added...
Mary Shortridge
And the rusty dash....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.