Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have an idea to help new member Mary Shortridge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Sleepin
I have a couple rust free dash frames laying around Mary if you need one....just let me know! wink.gif
rick 918-S
Hi Mary! Nice to see you post. The car is coming together nicely. Let us know if you can't get a dash frame from your connection by your dads. You really don't want to use the one you have pictured. You may end up with electrical ground problems.
EdwardBlume
Hi Mary, here is a picture of the air flaps... they help deflect air upwards toward the lower side of the engine. The second picture is where they go on the car.... relative to my handy scale model..
EdwardBlume
+1 on a new dash. I'd take the one from CO since its close. I have a spare laying around as well from an early '73. A partial VIN is hand written on the dash. The proper way to change it is drink a German beer and use a thick sharpie. Lederhosen is optional. biggrin.gif
914Sixer
Let me know if a dash is need. I probably have 5 or 6.
rick 918-S
clap56.gif
Mary Shortridge
You guys are TERRIFIC!!!!!
Dr Evil
The tranz looks clean smile.gif I cant believe that I will be leaving tomorrow for KS blink.gif Time to assemble my gearbox goody bag.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 2 2009, 11:36 AM) *

The tranz looks clean smile.gif I cant believe that I will be leaving tomorrow for KS blink.gif Time to assemble my gearbox goody bag.

Come on!

So far the weather should be nice - sunny and 65 degrees this week - but the pool is closed! It is November and anything goes this time of year as seen in Denver last week...

See you soon - Cheers!
SLITS
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 1 2009, 03:23 AM) *

Hi Mary, here is a picture of the air flaps... they help deflect air upwards toward the lower side of the engine. The second picture is where they go on the car.... relative to my handy scale model..

Deflect air downward towards the running suface, creating a lo pressure area under the cylinders so the the impeller air flows past the cylinders more readily.

They are mounted a the lower edge of the body seam, 385 mm (15.15") apart (or the inboard edge of the widest part of the flap is 192.5 mm (7.5") from the center line of the car).

smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 2 2009, 12:11 PM) *

Deflect air downward towards the running suface, creating a lo pressure area under the cylinders so the the impeller air flows past the cylinders more readily.

They are mounted a the lower edge of the body seam, 385 mm (15.15") apart (or the inboard edge of the widest part of the flap is 192.5 mm (7.5") from the center line of the car).

smile.gif

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the clarification - I know a lot of people wondered how putting a flap there would increase airflow - seems counter intuitive but the low pressure created does the trick!
Sleepin
I will check the two loose dashes that I have to make sure that they are as good as I think they are. If they aren't I will let you all know.
KELTY360
Any update? did the good doctor make his house call?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 9 2009, 04:54 PM) *

Any update? did the good doctor make his house call?

Yes he did indeed - I was waiting for him to post - but will jump in.

The patient was very cooperative and is now even better than new!

Thanks Dr Evil for taking the extra time out of your schedule to fly to Garden City and make the operation possible.
Click to view attachment

This is what 914World is all about. smilie_pokal.gif

KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 9 2009, 07:13 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

And he makes it look so easy... He even got Mary in the act and had her putting a gear stack together. I think she had fun and we all learned a lot about the 901 transaxle - very cool time together.

I would attempt this myself but I think I will wait for the DVD... popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
I am so grateful that I was able to be a part of something so very special. I had a great time, met some wonderful people and had some tasty wine wink.gif
EdwardBlume
You guys rock! Thanks Doc! beer.gif
Sleepin
I went by my brothers and picked up those dash frames, both are wonderfully rust free fortunately. I will pick the better of the two, and have it on it's way shortly.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 11 2009, 02:37 PM) *

I went by my brothers and picked up those dash frames, both are wonderfully rust free fortunately. I will pick the better of the two, and have it on it's way shortly.

Eric,

Those are a couple of beauties!

Thanks for your kindness.

Mike
rick 918-S
We got something really cool going on here. Thanks Doc and Eric! pray.gif This is what makes our World go around! flag.gif
hot_shoe914
icon_bump.gif
Sleepin
Here is the girls helping with today's shipment....one rust free dash frame coming up! It should arrive Thursday. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 16 2009, 06:07 PM) *

Here is the girls helping with today's shipment....one rust free dash frame coming up! It should arrive Thursday. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Eric,

Thanks for shipping the dash and extra thanks for the picture of your helpers!

You are a rockstar! aktion035.gif

Mike
rick 918-S
Eric, You are a big contributor to this project. And those girls are a couple of sweeties!
tat2dphreak
Eric, You are a big contributor to this project. And those girls are a couple of sweeties!

agree.gif that picture is adorable smile.gif
Mary Shortridge
Thanks so much, Eric! I hope I get to meet your girls someday, too---They are darling!!!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 11 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Eric,

The dash frame arrived - make sure you let your helpers know it arrived and thanks a million!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 1 2009, 05:23 AM) *

Hi Rob,

Just a note that the air flaps arrive - thanks for shipping those out. Mary also mentioned the 914World decal - nice of you to add that. I know it will be proudly displayed on the rear window!

Thanks again!
rick 918-S
I was in the garage cleaning the other day and came across a new braided ground strap that goes from the rear chassis to the rear of the transmission. Everyone knows without a good ground strap you will eventually have starter troubles. I cruised both in inventory list sent by Carrie Sweet (thanks again Carrie pray.gif ) and the list you have on the web site Mike. I didn't see one in inventory or on the parts needed list. I will send this out.

Also the engine builder stated he needs the tapered gasket for the throttle body. I have a perfect gasket and will be sending that to the engine builder directly.

We are nearing completion of the list kids! Great things happen here! clap23.gif
Dr Evil
I already installed a beefy aftermarket strap on the traz when I was out there. No need for it now smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 20 2009, 11:25 AM) *

I already installed a beefy aftermarket strap on the traz when I was out there. No need for it now smile.gif

Oh, ok, I remember that now. screwy.gif It's Friday... shades.gif Thanks Doc!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 20 2009, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 20 2009, 11:25 AM) *

Oh, ok, I remember that now. screwy.gif It's Friday... shades.gif Thanks Doc!

Dr Evil - you didn't mentioned how you customized it on the grinder.... happy11.gif
Mary Shortridge
Today Buttercup met her first Kansas Highway Patrol officer! He was SOOOOO nice, getting a VIN inspection done on-sight so I can get a vanity tag ordered. It takes 3 months, so I need to get that ball rolling! Officer Gosch even let me take his photo with Buttercup. Yes, cheesy, but fun to document all aspects of getting her back on the road. He was really amazed when I told him about all the help from 914 World. And now she has a decal for the back window to tell the world! (Got to get a new piece of glass ordered...)
My plans for a vanity tag are
LEES914. I don't like not having a space, but I am limited to seven characters/spaces.
If anyone has a better idea, let me know!
Thanks for all your help!
~Mary & family
Mary Shortridge
The "fur kids" enjoyed the new dash.... thanks Eric and family!
~Mary
Sleepin
Your animals will be good friends with mine if they ever meet, it is funny that they smell my cats and dogs on the parts! biggrin.gif

You need a back window? Defroster or no defroster?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 20 2009, 05:13 PM) *

Your animals will be good friends with mine if they ever meet, it is funny that they smell my cats and dogs on the parts! biggrin.gif

You need a back window? Defroster or no defroster?

Eric,

You are a PARTS MACHINE!!

Cheers!
flipb
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Nov 20 2009, 04:02 PM) *

Today Buttercup met her first Kansas Highway Patrol officer! He was SOOOOO nice, getting a VIN inspection done on-sight so I can get a vanity tag ordered. It takes 3 months, so I need to get that ball rolling! Officer Gosch even let me take his photo with Buttercup. Yes, cheesy, but fun to document all aspects of getting her back on the road. He was really amazed when I told him about all the help from 914 World. And now she has a decal for the back window to tell the world! (Got to get a new piece of glass ordered...)
LEES914. I don't like not having a space, but I am limited to seven characters/spaces.
~Mary & family

Can you get BUTRCUP ? (or BTR CUP)
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 20 2009, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Nov 20 2009, 04:02 PM) *

~Mary & family

Can you get BUTRCUP ? (or BTR CUP)

Except I really want to tell the world it is Lee's car...restored in honor of him...
He would be totally blown away by all of this; he was always the most giving guy, helping everyone else...
rick 918-S
How about "FOR LEE"
Doug Leggins
This is a GREAT undertaking! And, the type of activity that I think very well defines much of the 914 community.

I think that I have some parts that are needed. I have:

(2) 914 424 591 00 E-brake boots @ rear wheels
enough blue hose for both of the Brake reservoir hoses

Please confirm that these are still needed and I will send them.

I also have a parts stash that I would be happy to look through if there are additional parts not currently on the "Needed Parts List" that are found to be needed along the way.

Doug
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 20 2009, 08:38 PM) *

How about "FOR LEE"

4LEE914
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Nov 17 2009, 09:01 AM) *

Thanks so much, Eric! I hope I get to meet your girls someday, too---They are darling!!!

Hello Mary,

I just learned of the thread. Sorry to hear about your brother.

If you need one I would like to donate a rebuilt pedal set.

I also have refinished rear targa latches, replated latches for the front and rear hoods, striker plates and engines lids.as well as tons of other 914 parts and hardware that are refinished.

I know Mike Moorman and have some parts to send him. Ask him to make a list of hardware and I will see what I can come up with. I am sure it is in the thread somewhere but please send your address and I will gather what parts I can help with.

Bruce
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 20 2009, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Nov 17 2009, 09:01 AM) *

Hello Mary,

I also have refinished rear targa latches, replated latches for the front and rear hoods, striker plates and engines lids.as well as tons of other 914 parts and hardware that are refinished.

I know Mike Moorman and have some parts to send him. Ask him to make a list of hardware and I will see what I can come up with. I am sure it is in the thread somewhere but please send your address and I will gather what parts I can help with.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Check the links in the bottom of Mikes posts. He set up a web site with the parts needed to complete Buttercup. smile.gif
Kansas 914
Some great ideas!

This is a sample:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 20 2009, 11:55 PM) *

Hello Mary,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for posting and thanks for your VERY generous offer of a pedal set. Mary's pedals are a mess - though she bought the bushings and a used cluster. Plus you have some of the shiniest parts on 914World. There are a lot of little parts that could stand plating I know. Maybe we can send you those or swap for parts you have?

Thanks again and don't ship the part you are holding for me yet - we might have you add stuff to my box - thanks again! I will send you a PM.

Here are some pictures:
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Definitely get the pedals. Save time! smile.gif
Mary Shortridge
You guys are making me cry....
Your generosity keeps rocking my world....
I LOVE
4LEE914!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll visit with Ron, Dad and Elissa about all your suggestions.
Thank you so VERY VERY much!
~Mary & family
Mary Shortridge
I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! We kept our holiday celebration simple, but were blessed our daughter (college senior! how did that happen?) came home for the weekend. It was so much fun to show her Buttercup... she had not seen the car since the photo when she was 3!
I'll attach the latest photo. She still needs to get busy and learn to drive a stick!
Again, thanks for all of your support on this project!
rick 918-S
OMG! That's Awesome! driving-girl.gif Get busy girl! Mary, I'm going to post this photo over in the Build Off thread for a little inspiration!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.