Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have an idea to help new member Mary Shortridge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
rick 918-S
Any local World people who are driving distance to Garden City KS and can assist this new member I would appreciate it.

With Mary's permission I suggest a cruise day to her location. As part of this cruise I would suggest the locals inventory the parts she has and help her get what she needs to complete the work on her brothers car.

If you haven't read this you need to.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=98044

I hope I haven't over stepped my bounds by suggesting this Mary. But I really think you need a good start here. This is a very helpful group. Don't be shy and we will help.
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif

I wish I was closer, but if I have any parts that she needs... they are free to her. post what she needs and I'll dig through my stuff... I don't have the giant "parted 3 cars out" inventory that some do, but I have a few pieces that may help.
VaccaRabite
Rick, if we have parts to donate that she needs, could you be the collection point? Or would that just be an added level of complexity that is not needed.

Zach
ghuff
This is great. It looked like a lot of the hardwork was done on that 914 as well, perhaps it is ready for the sheet metal install and paint to be laid after.

(bracing the unibody etc from what I saw in the picture)

Wish I could help.
Dr Evil
If I get the bus up and running by start of next year I may have an opportunity to drive out and help smile.gif
A&PGirl
I could probably do it on day when I don't have anything going.
r_towle
aktion035.gif driving.gif
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 02:46 PM) *

If I get the bus up and running by start of next year I may have an opportunity to drive out and help smile.gif

Gint
I don't have the time to make a 700 mile round trip at the moment. Which is a shame because I wouldn't mind making the trip if the timing was different.
rick 918-S
I think it's great of you guys to offer to help even if your way out in the hinter land.

I just started a cheerleading session. If Mary needs parts and you guys have stuff to offer please sent it directly to her.

If we can get someone close to her familar with 914's to help her take an inventory we would be in a much better position to help her and her Dad piece her Brothers car back together.

As usual, you guys are the best. Let's keep bumping this for a couple days and see what develops. icon_bump.gif

What would Howard do?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Aug 2 2009, 11:39 AM) *

I could probably do it on day when I don't have anything going.

Carrie, That would be awesome! You know your way around these cars. BTW: How is yours coming?
A&PGirl
Currently sitting in storage waiting for the second driveway to be done. I have my Dad has a nifty toy coming that will make the work significantly easier.

Dual voltage plasma cutter

rick 918-S
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Aug 2 2009, 05:36 PM) *

Currently sitting in storage waiting for the second driveway to be done. I have my Dad has a nifty toy coming that will make the work significantly easier.

Dual voltage plasma cutter

There's always something isn't there? But new tools are always cool! welder.gif
shoguneagle
This is a good example of one of the major reasons I became involved in the 914 groups. Examples of helping people; this is just another reason to be a "caretaker" for a 914.

Any parts that I may have are yours.

Need to see at least a partial parts list or "needs list" so we can as a group see what is needed and provide accordingly without too much duplication, etc.

Steve Hurt
ClayPerrine
The thought had crossed my mind that maybe we should have an "Overhauling" episode for her 914. A bunch of us with experience, and spares show up and fix as much as we can on the car for her.

I am willing to help with anything, electrical, engine, wiring, suspension, etc...

It is a long trip up to Kansas, but I have done it before.

jonferns
As soon as the list of necessary parts becomes available, I'll look through my stash and whatever I have that can be shipped I will dontate. KS is a bit too far of a ride, but whatever parts I have I'll gladly donate. bye1.gif
lotus_65
good cause, great idea rick!
KC is just down the road... maybe I can take a ride down with some parts one weekend-
rick 918-S
I'm thinking someone will step up and get her started. If Mary wants our help she knows we are here. No strings.

We just need an inventory.
914Sixer
I can't make the trip but I am will to donate whatever I can.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 3 2009, 08:48 PM) *

I'm thinking someone will step up and get her started. If Mary wants our help she knows we are here. No strings.

Sorry missed this thread until now - but I am here to help.

While I am no expert I can sure take a look to see what she has and what she needs. I have taken one 914 apart bolt for bolt, fixed a hell hole and welded in a new floorpan and will start putting it back together soon - so I can probably handle this.

Besides - I have read almost every post written since I joined in March of 2003. You guys/gals rock!

I will make a run to Garden City this weekend if that works with her and get a detailed list. Mary and I have chatted a bit by email last week and I will check with her today to see if that is something she wants to do.

Mary - email headed your way.....

Cheers!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 10 2009, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 3 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Sorry missed this thread until now - but I am here to help.

While I am no expert I can sure take a look to see what she has and what she needs. I have taken one 914 apart bolt for bolt, fixed a hell hole and welded in a new floorpan and will start putting it back together soon - so I can probably handle this.

Besides - I have read almost every post written since I joined in March of 2003. You guys/gals rock!

I will make a run to Garden City this weekend if that works with her and get a detailed list. Mary and I have chatted a bit by email last week and I will check with her today to see if that is something she wants to do.

Mary - email headed your way.....

Cheers!

Mike you are the man! Now the fun begins!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 10 2009, 08:26 PM) *

UPDATE:

I have corresponded with Mary and I will be driving to Garden City on Saturday August 29th to do an inventory.

I will then make a list available to everyone (probably a spreadsheet) and also some detailed images of the car as it sits at the body shop. I know you folks like pictures!

It might be easier if I place all this on a website for easy updating and viewing. I have 2 sites I host on a server here at the office and I can carve out a webpage or two for this.

I only hope everyone is still excited about helping Mary with the project - know I am!

Cheers!
rick 918-S
Your a great guy Mike! This stuff takes time. Just keep us posted. Were not going anyplace.
RiqueMar
Let me know if there is anything she needs. I know off hand, I have a whole front/rear suspension system.

I also have access to a sandblaster, so if anyone needs anything cleaned up, I'm good for that too.
A&PGirl
UPDATE:

I'm heading to Garden City Friday afternoon to help take inventory on Saturday then I'll be driving back home.

I talked to Mary yesterday and it is fine with her. I'll be taking a multimeter and jumper cables with me to test electrical stuff to see if it is good. Mary said she'll have a battery and charger available for us to use.

rick 918-S
I've been out of town working. popcorn[1].gif
JRust
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2009, 07:19 PM) *

You actually work Rick WTF.gif I thought all you did was drive the alien from one Porsche event to another screwy.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 23 2009, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2009, 07:19 PM) *

You actually work Rick WTF.gif I thought all you did was drive the alien from one Porsche event to another screwy.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

I wish dry.gif I'm working 7 days a week again, as many hours as I can stand to either drive around looking at damage or sitting in my office staring at my computer writting estimates and reports. I'm hoping things will taper off before the RRC... sad.gif

BTW: icon_bump.gif for "Team 914"
A&PGirl
I'm packing up to leave right now and I'm wondering how far behind on homework I'll be when I get back. smile.gif

But before I leave, I have to wait for goodies to arrive. biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Aug 28 2009, 12:16 PM) *

I'm packing up to leave right now and I'm wondering how far behind on homework I'll be when I get back. smile.gif

But before I leave, I have to wait for goodies to arrive. biggrin.gif

Carrie,

You guys have a long drive ahead of you - travel safely and I will see you tomorrow in Garden City, Kansas!

Cheers!
A&PGirl
My Dad and I made it to and from in one piece without trouble. The weather was gorgeous; not to hot, not to cold, hardly any humidity and sunny. The big kicker is we only spent $50 on gas!

Here's a picture of Buttercup:

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
When you get caught up on your home work we will be waiting for your report. bye1.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Aug 30 2009, 04:37 PM) *

My Dad and I made it to and from in one piece without trouble. The weather was gorgeous; not to hot, not to cold, hardly any humidity and sunny. The big kicker is we only spent $50 on gas!

Here's a picture of Buttercup:

Click to view attachment

Carrie (and Allen),

I cannot thank you enough for making that trip from Tulsa to Garden City. The wealth of knowledge the two of you have on 914's is nothing short of amazing.

Carrie, I know you have some work to do before you get that inventory list to me - so take your time. BTW - You will make a great CPA - you are VERY detailed - which is what I look for in an accountant!

914 World - We now have a pretty complete inventory of what is on hand and what ie needed and will get that posted here in the very near future (probably Tuesday or Wednesday). In a nutshell - they car is not that bad.

All the "rustoration" is already done - so it is the usual suspects that are needed. Carrie took over 90 pictures and I have about 40 more. The complete motor (it is all there) is headed to the local engine guy (who used to own a 914 and said he loves these motors) so there may be needs we don't know about until he gets in to the motor.

Again thanks to Carrie and her Dad (Allen) for making a very long drive to help someone they have never met - I guess it is just a 914 thing...... You either get it or you don't.

MORE DETAILS SOON!

Mike
Kansas 914
Here is a link to a quickly put together website that will have pages for parts needed - parts on hand - detailed photos of the project.

LINK to the Buttercup project

If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep this project current and near the top I welcome them.

I am by no means a website guru so any thoughts there would help too!

Thank you 914 World - I know Mary is overwhelmed by your generosity and Buttercup needs some help. Her paint and body guy is good but is used to doing Rods & Customs and the 914 is - well - different. I imagine he will have some questions as he starts putting this car back together. As you can see it is stripped.

One of the first needs is a good picture of the correct location for relocating the fuel pump to the front of the car. There are new stainless lines run through the tunnel and terminated with AN fittings. Right now it is in the front trunk:
Click to view attachment

Enjoy!
Ferg
I will go through my garage this weekend. I know I have fog lights, and rough but not cracked grills I can send. Maybe more.

Address for parts shipment?

Ferg beerchug.gif
13b914
I have some fog light grills that are in pretty good shape, i also have a black back cushion that is in better shape than is in the pictures and I have a pedal cluster that already has the bronze bushings installed. Let me know if you're interested.
Chad
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 4 2009, 04:41 PM) *

I will go through my garage this weekend. I know I have fog lights, and rough but not cracked grills I can send. Maybe more.

Address for parts shipment?

Ferg beerchug.gif

Thanks Ferg - Very nice of you!

Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379

Cheers!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(13b914 @ Sep 4 2009, 04:56 PM) *

I have some fog light grills that are in pretty good shape, i also have a black back cushion that is in better shape than is in the pictures and I have a pedal cluster that already has the bronze bushings installed. Let me know if you're interested.
Chad

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the offer. Let me double check but I think Mary said she has a bushing kit for the pedal assembly and she found a used assembly.

I will also check on the cushion as I only remember seeing one on the parts.

Cheers!
tat2dphreak
pretty sure I have:
USA Front Turn signal lenses Both
Thermostat wire 1
Starter 1
Transmission mounts 2(they will be used, is that ok?)

I'll go through all my stuff and see what I have I may have a few more things too...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Sep 4 2009, 06:17 PM) *

pretty sure I have:
USA Front Turn signal lenses Both
Thermostat wire 1
Starter 1
Transmission mounts 2(they will be used, is that ok?)

I'll go through all my stuff and see what I have I may have a few more things too...

Used is more than welcomed!

Thanks Wayne.
rick 918-S
I looked through my stuff and I really don't have anything on your list that is worth shipping.

So put me down for a new custom made 1.7 Alternator Harness drop shipped from Jeff Bowlsby.

GaroldShaffer
I can send a good used pair of rear USA spec tail lenses. Your list also says horn. Are you talking about the actual horn, or teh horn button on the steering wheel? If is the actual horn I have one of those I can send along also.
Dr Evil
I have access to some odds and ends:
- Latch cup for Targa Tops Both
- Rear View mirror 1
- Shift shaft cover @ transmission 1 (not 100% sure, I'll check)
- Shift bushing kit 1 (I have most if not all)
- Transmission ground strap 1 (I have good used)
- Alternator 1 (Used, but I have access to some)
- Coil 1 (Bosch blue ok?)
- 1.7 Heads need rebuilding 3 (I might be able to get these)
- Brake switch on pedal cluster 1 (I have one in a bag still)

I'll check on these first....then I will take another stab at the list.
KELTY360
I've got set of new 1.7 Bosch plug wires I'll send. I'll check further and see if I've got anything else.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 4 2009, 08:30 PM) *

I looked through my stuff and I really don't have anything on your list that is worth shipping.

So put me down for a new custom made 1.7 Alternator Harness drop shipped from Jeff Bowlsby.

Hi Rick,

That is awesome - thanks!

UPDATED PARTS NEEDED LINK
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 4 2009, 10:33 PM) *

I can send a good used pair of rear USA spec tail lenses. Your list also says horn. Are you talking about the actual horn, or teh horn button on the steering wheel? If is the actual horn I have one of those I can send along also.

Hi Garold,

What a nice item (USA rear lenses)!.

The acutal horn is needed I know - seems the sterring wheel horn "button" was okay.

Thanks!

Kansas 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 5 2009, 10:38 AM) *

I've got set of new 1.7 Bosch plug wires I'll send. I'll check further and see if I've got anything else.

Hi Marc,

That would be great - thanks!

Mary Shortridge
I just found out about this thread from Mike, and again, I sit here at my computer, speechless. Your generosity is overwhelming. I have never heard of anything like this...
I say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart. This little car is the beginning of something REALLY BIG.
I am racking my brain, trying to come up with something I can post that would let you know a bit about who my brother was. He was a lot like all of you, generous to others. He would be VERY pleased at how far Buttercup has come.
I am VERY pleased to reimburse you for shipping expenses.
Again, a BIG THANK YOU to all of you at 914World.
~Mary & family
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Sep 5 2009, 01:15 PM) *

I just found out about this thread from Mike, and again, I sit here at my computer, speechless. Your generosity is overwhelming. I have never heard of anything like this...
I say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart. This little car is the beginning of something REALLY BIG.
I am racking my brain, trying to come up with something I can post that would let you know a bit about who my brother was. He was a lot like all of you, generous to others. He would be VERY pleased at how far Buttercup has come.
I am VERY pleased to reimburse you for shipping expenses.
Again, a BIG THANK YOU to all of you at 914World.
~Mary & family

Mary,

Let me explain something that is unusual in the world today. 914 owners are a bit tribal. We take care of our own. Your brother was our "lost" brother, and we feel the loss of him strongly because we never got to know him. These little cars do weird things to people, maybe it is all the rust getting under your skin or something. But we want the car complete so we can honor our "Lost Brother".

If you have some pictures of him, with and without his 914, please post them. We would love to see them.

And if you have time, please join some of us in Arkansas at the MUSR. You can see a bunch of crazy car folks. If you want info about the event, contact me.

Thank you for letting us help.

tat2dphreak
ok, I found the starter(was good when I removed it, only dirtier than the other one I had)
the us front signals (one is showing some spider webbing cracks, so if someone can come up with 1 to make a damn good set..)

the t-stat cable is at Wes' I'll get it monday.

the tranny mounts are MIA, I found one that couldn't be used to even identify what they should look like. so if someone wants to split the cost I'll go halvsies on a new set of either the 911 sport style(stock) or the weltmeister solid(which I use, and like very much)

I also have some FI parts off a 2.0(whatever year the green top injectors were used) so if that can be of use, let me know.

I also found a Shift shaft boot (@ firewall) that I'll put in the care pkg.

I also have some stock springs if those are needed

I can't agree more with Clay, I think secretly we all fear leaving loved ones behind with an unfinished car smile.gif

if you are going to MUSR, Mary, I can send this and some other parts with peeps that are going, or I can get it in a flat rate priority mail box this coming week.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 5 2009, 02:25 PM) *

Mary,

Let me explain something that is unusual in the world today. 914 owners are a bit tribal. We take care of our own. Your brother was our "lost" brother, and we feel the loss of him strongly because we never got to know him. These little cars do weird things to people, maybe it is all the rust getting under your skin or something. But we want the car complete so we can honor our "Lost Brother".

If you have some pictures of him, with and without his 914, please post them. We would love to see them.

And if you have time, please join some of us in Arkansas at the MUSR. You can see a bunch of crazy car folks. If you want info about the event, contact me.

Thank you for letting us help.

Clay,

Thanks for so eloquently putting in words how I know I feel - and how I know 914 World feels.

It's a 914 thing...

Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.