Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MUSR 11 Registration Now Open
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
blitZ
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 29 2010, 10:29 PM) *

Don't have the good video up yet but here is a little snippet just outside of the Dragon on the way to it.

Shoe

Cool video. You might want to wash the blood off your windshield from the pedistrian you hit.
Kansas 914
Another video of the Dragon's Tail. This one might make you a little dizzy!! AWESOME footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGX6o2n8iTM
Kansas 914
If that one didn't make you queasy - this one might!! Make sure your volume is up - gotta love the sound of tires squealing in the twisties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFVooQ6QpYk
hot_shoe914
Thanks Mike for getting those on here for me, you rock! aktion035.gif
kerensky
Wow, thirty seconds into that first video and my motion sickness was already kicking in. icon8.gif I was beginning to think it might be fun to ride out with someone but that served as a reminder - no freakin' way.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 30 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Thanks Mike for getting those on here for me, you rock! aktion035.gif

These videos are great in 720p - I was leaning into the turns and had my foot planted on the floor (on the brakes....)!! These are better than any video game!
naro914
what you guys from the rest of the world miss out on is that us here in NC and eastern TN have lots of roads like this to drive. TOD is just the most famous (and unfortunately usually the most crowded). We go on drives up in the mountains fairly often that will make even the most hardened passenger a bit queasy. (I know, Nadine likes to drive too, so I spend 1/2 of any trip in the right seat!!) 2nd gear at most for 15+ miles.... You'll all really love the area...
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jun 30 2010, 02:07 PM) *

Wow, thirty seconds into that first video and my motion sickness was already kicking in. icon8.gif I was beginning to think it might be fun to ride out with someone but that served as a reminder - no freakin' way.

Oh come on Chad, it will be well worth any sickness you may endure. Grab a ride with one of those okies & come on out.
jt914-6
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 28 2010, 10:06 PM) *

Okay, I had a thought today. For all youfolks planning to meet in Memphis on Wednesday and convoy out Thursday, would you guys like me to see if I can get you some sort of group rate discount of your hotel room? Just a thought.

Shoe

You know if you don't you're going to have one hellofva party at your house that night and one big lot of folks with a hangover driving across Tenn. the next day...... beerchug.gif drunk.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif aktion035.gif
kerensky
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 30 2010, 11:49 AM) *

Oh come on Chad, it will be well worth any sickness you may endure. Grab a ride with one of those okies & come on out.
Laf, said like a man who's never been seasick! I've rarely been more miserable in my life. barf.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jun 30 2010, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 30 2010, 11:49 AM) *

Laf, said like a man who's never been seasick! I've rarely been more miserable in my life. barf.gif

Bring your dramamine and lets drive! driving.gif
bandjoey
Are there barf stations along the way? barf.gif

What's the average speed in these vid's?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 1 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Are there barf stations along the way? barf.gif

Have no clue, my speedometer doesn't work. Most of it was third gear with some of the tighter ones bringing you back to second.
jt914-6
Shoe.....you going to check into the caravan motel discount?....if not you'd better have plenty of beer and BBQ Wed. night..... drunk.gif beerchug.gif chowtime.gif beer3.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 1 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Shoe.....you going to check into the caravan motel discount?....if not you'd better have plenty of beer and BBQ Wed. night..... drunk.gif beerchug.gif chowtime.gif beer3.gif

Yes, I will check a few places and see what I can come up with. Hopefully get a nice place at a good rate.
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 1 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Hummm.. biggrin.gif
I'm remembering pretty much second gear in the Dragon. Prolly about 30 avg thru that stretch. After the left at Deals Gap store onto the Bender there are some stretches where third is appropriate. Say around 40 avg. The Skyway I would say pace picks up to maybe 50 avg with a lot of grade. This all depends on traffic. That vid was late in the afternoon on what had been a very busy day traffic wise in the area. It was a Sat in late summer. Really clean run only getting behind traffic twice. smilie_pokal.gif

Not sure of time in first clip but did anyone notice the two crotch rockets running as one coming down the mtn balls to the wall. Was kinda scary w00t.gif seeing them coming around a switchback running wheel to wheel and dragging a knee. Those dudes were flying!!

And Bob is correct that if you live in that area of the world every back road is a twisty......just ain't fair shades.gif

Ya'll come now, ya here............... driving.gif driving-girl.gif

jt914-6
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 1 2010, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 1 2010, 02:44 PM) *

Yes, I will check a few places and see what I can come up with. Hopefully get a nice place at a good rate.

Just not in the "hood"..... ar15.gif
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jul 1 2010, 09:19 PM) *

Just not in the "hood"..... ar15.gif

Come on now, JT....It is Memphis!!

Bring ur gun.... stirthepot.gif
pcar916
I'll try to keep up... I just need a little more horsepower. Then it'll be ok... oh yes.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 2 2010, 04:33 PM) *

I'll try to keep up... I just need a little more horsepower. Then it'll be ok... oh yes.

What you NEED is a tracking device such as LoJack to put on your steering wheel! poke.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 5 2010, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 2 2010, 04:33 PM) *

What you NEED is a tracking device such as LoJack to put on your steering wheel! poke.gif

True that. But I wouldn't NEED that if I didn't hang with a bunch of scoundrels! beer.gif
mipstien
so i live just that close to the dragon and even closer to vonore. any problem with just driving to meet everyone instead of stayin at the hotel. saves me a little money anyways
or is the money for something other than just hotel room?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 5 2010, 04:27 PM) *

so i live just that close to the dragon and even closer to vonore. any problem with just driving to meet everyone instead of stayin at the hotel. saves me a little money anyways
or is the money for something other than just hotel room?

No problem at all. Just make sure you arrive in time to leave on the run with the group. Hell, we might all come stay at your house so we can save money too! The registration fee is seperate from the hotel though. It covers your entry and also the awards banquet and a few other things.
mipstien
ah, i just looked at the pricing stuff and realized how expensive it is. not sure i can talk my other half into 100$ for a get together.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 5 2010, 05:00 PM) *

ah, i just looked at the pricing stuff and realized how expensive it is. not sure i can talk my other half into 100$ for a get together.

That includes dinner for the awards banquet, also covers your entry for the car show and also putsyou in the drawing for all the door prizes. There should be lots of goodies given away thanks to our very generous vendors and sponsors. Also cover food Thursday night. With all the money you will be saving on hotelfees, should be well worth it. I hope you can talk her into it as this is going to be a great get together.

Shoe
bandjoey
Ron if you put more HP into your car, the Navy will be drafting you to power one of their aircraft carriers! biggrin.gif

pcar916
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 5 2010, 08:58 PM) *

Ron if you put more HP into your car, the Navy will be drafting you to power one of their aircraft carriers! biggrin.gif

piratenanner.gif I'm thinkin' there's never enough horsepower... or brakes!!!!! beerchug.gif And the dragon looks like the place to do some seriously spirited driving.gif.
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 6 2010, 08:38 AM) *

piratenanner.gif I'm thinkin' there's never enough horsepower... or brakes!!!!! beerchug.gif And the dragon looks like the place to do some seriously spirited driving.gif.

agree.gif

I believe Ron is on to something here???

w00t.gif
poorsche914
I just found out the TN side of the Dragon will be open at 5pm on Friday.

driving.gif
mipstien
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/US129rockslide/default.htm
WOOOHOOO motorcycle ride this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 8 2010, 09:42 AM) *

I just found out the TN side of the Dragon will be open at 5pm on Friday.

driving.gif

That is a good thing because 2 Fridays from now Ken and I will bedoing preruns. Care to join us? driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
mipstien
i'd be up for a run. although my 914 isn't registered yet so ill have to drive the Mini or the motorcycle.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 8 2010, 01:52 PM) *

i'd be up for a run. although my 914 isn't registered yet so ill have to drive the Mini or the motorcycle.

I have an extra antique tag you can toss on it. Or you can go register it. Do an antique tag and you don't have to pass inspection and you only have to pay once and it is good as long as you own it. The Mini is always an option.
mipstien
tennessee doesn't have inspection's but they have a strange antique law where if you get caught driving during a weekday and not goin to a car meeting/show or getting it repaired you get fined.
i do have a tag on it but its from my fiat :X
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(mipstien @ Jul 10 2010, 11:44 AM) *

tennessee doesn't have inspection's but they have a strange antique law where if you get caught driving during a weekday and not goin to a car meeting/show or getting it repaired you get fined.
i do have a tag on it but its from my fiat :X

I have one registered to a 914 and we will be on a club event.
bandjoey
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 6 2010, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 5 2010, 08:58 PM) *

BRAKES? We don't need no brakes, man. Just a stinking Horn and a Gas Pedal! lol-2.gif
hot_shoe914
Money sent Clay. Any possibility of a registration update in the next few days?

Shoe
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 12 2010, 09:54 PM) *

Shoe

Earth to Clay, where are you Trunk Monkey? poke.gif
Vysoc
Hello,

Just returned back to Florida from East Tennessee, my summer vacation was a covert recon mission to scope out the Tail of the Dragon and visit the beauty of the Mountains. We rented a cabin up in the hills over Wears Valley not too far from the Tail. On the way up we drove the family Honda Element, Front Wheel Drive, 5 Speed. We drove up after staying with freinds in Atlanta on Highway 68 which runs through Tellico Plains or something like that, 68 had lots of great twisties it was real fun to drive...or as much fun as you can have in an Element. After several days in the Hills we decided to drive to Marysville for supplies (Beer & Wine). On the way up I noticed the sign announcing that HWY 129 was open again. We went to Marysville and then decided to drive down 129 and check out the Tail of the Dragon. I said to my wife how much worse can it be compared to Highway 68????

Oh My God.......... just add 5000 feet and no guard rails, we drove from west to east so my wife in the passenger seat was on the side which looked down. This did not go so well for her. I had a great time driving but was watching for all the Crotch Rockets and pulling into the passing shoulders so they could enjoy. Everytime I pulled into one she about freaked. The road is the best in the country and I can't wait to bring my 914 in October, I cannot imagine how fun it will be in that car...on that road!!!!

If you have driven the road I saw something not to be believed, a guy was pulling a 30 ft trailer over the Tail of the Dragon...I can't imagine, hope he had lots of brake pad.

Words do not explain the road even the video's can not capture the whole experience, the Dam near the end is really cool.

Looking forward to October.

Vysoc flag.gif shades.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jul 20 2010, 10:57 PM) *

Hello,

Just returned back to Florida from East Tennessee, my summer vacation was a covert recon mission to scope out the Tail of the Dragon and visit the beauty of the Mountains. We rented a cabin up in the hills over Wears Valley not too far from the Tail. On the way up we drove the family Honda Element, Front Wheel Drive, 5 Speed. We drove up after staying with freinds in Atlanta on Highway 68 which runs through Tellico Plains or something like that, 68 had lots of great twisties it was real fun to drive...or as much fun as you can have in an Element. After several days in the Hills we decided to drive to Marysville for supplies (Beer & Wine). On the way up I noticed the sign announcing that HWY 129 was open again. We went to Marysville and then decided to drive down 129 and check out the Tail of the Dragon. I said to my wife how much worse can it be compared to Highway 68????

Oh My God.......... just add 5000 feet and no guard rails, we drove from west to east so my wife in the passenger seat was on the side which looked down. This did not go so well for her. I had a great time driving but was watching for all the Crotch Rockets and pulling into the passing shoulders so they could enjoy. Everytime I pulled into one she about freaked. The road is the best in the country and I can't wait to bring my 914 in October, I cannot imagine how fun it will be in that car...on that road!!!!

If you have driven the road I saw something not to be believed, a guy was pulling a 30 ft trailer over the Tail of the Dragon...I can't imagine, hope he had lots of brake pad.

Words do not explain the road even the video's can not capture the whole experience, the Dam near the end is really cool.

Looking forward to October.

Vysoc flag.gif shades.gif

Glad you enjoyed it. Ken and I were to do some preruns this weekend but due to my car being dead we have rescheduled for August 13, 14 and 15 for our preruns.

Shoe
hot_shoe914
A shameless icon_bump.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 14 2010, 10:29 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 12 2010, 09:54 PM) *

Shoe

Earth to Clay, where are you Trunk Monkey? poke.gif

I am still alive.. but buried under here at work. I have to deploy a new email system for 15,000 (yea 15 thousand) mailboxes by September 3rd. So I am a busy guy. Plus fixing both 914s so we can actually make the event.

Update will be soon.. hopefully this weekend. there is a swap meet here in DFW this weekend, and I am loading up some 914 parts in the truck and taking them out to sell. Then coming home and finishing up the wife's 914.

hot_shoe914
Okay guys, I just received a phone call from a teener owner in New Jersey who is making plans to attend! This gives you northeast guys another car to convoy with so let's get out there & recruit some more folks. This is going to be one awesome event. Lots of goodies to be given away also. For all you member vendors out there, if you haven't heard from me yet you will be soon so go ahead and start boxing up lots of your best goodies for all these awesome teener owners to win. aktion035.gif

Shoe
hot_shoe914
Another month has slipped quietly along which brings us even closer to the EVENT of the YEAR! Have you registered yet? Have you reserved your hotel yet? Have you even made plans to attend this exciting 914 event? confused24.gif MUSR 11 "Teeners on The Tail" Tail of the Dragon that is. Come one come all and enjoy some awesome driving roads, breathtaking views, super 914 friends, good food and lots of fun. YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS IT! Come and meet Buttercup, come and see if my ugly assed car does a 3peat for dirtiest engine bay. Just come and have fun. Whatever your reason JUST DO IT!.

All that being said, here is another shameless icon_bump.gif

Shoe
hot_shoe914
Called the hotel today to book a room for a couple of nights when we go to do the preruns in a couple of weeks. I was told our rooms for the ramble are slowly but surely being booked and are disappearing. If you are planning on attending this event which is only a little over a couple ofmonths away you might want to consider reserving your room pretty quickly before they are all gone.

Shoe
bandjoey
Shoe. Get this highlighted in Hot Pink or sick stand out color. The other events are in blue and we need to stand out. Ya'll have fun. driving.gif
naro914
Had a chat with John Forbes at Black Forest Racing this morning, looks like a bunch of 914 owners from in and around Carolinas will be making it after all! He had a list of 11 (12 cars) that told him yes, they are going plus 3-4 maybe's. Not sure if they all signed up yet...would like to see an updated registration list Clay??

I'm still working on scheduling...hopefully we can make it.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 3 2010, 10:54 AM) *

Had a chat with John Forbes at Black Forest Racing this morning, looks like a bunch of 914 owners from in and around Carolinas will be making it after all! He had a list of 11 (12 cars) that told him yes, they are going plus 3-4 maybe's. Not sure if they all signed up yet...would like to see an updated registration list Clay??

I'm still working on scheduling...hopefully we can make it.

Keep at it Bob, sure would like to have you, Nadine and Huey there.
naro914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 3 2010, 12:14 AM) *

Shoe. Get this highlighted in Hot Pink or sick stand out color. The other events are in blue and we need to stand out. Ya'll have fun. driving.gif

Agreed, this needs to be hightlighted. I keep needing to come back to this thread to point people there, and can't find it easily.

Mods....PLEASE highlight this thread!!!
scotty b
headbang.gif headbang.gif Why in the hell did I watch those videos ?? headbang.gif headbang.gif No promises, but I'm going to do my best to make it Donald driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.