Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bee Jay's 914-six Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Bee Jay
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 27 2011, 10:41 AM) *

If they do decide that yours is totaled I have some supporting documentation I can send you from when my car got totaled by a guy running a red light two weeks ago. my car was a stockish 2.0L. it was fully restored, but honestly wasn't in better condition than yours. His insurance company paid me just over 16,000 for mine. I can provide documentation if necessary.

One of the things that I think helped was the photo album I made for the appraisor showing pictures from my build over the past 8 years. It shows how much time you have invested beyond just the parts value.

I'll take whatever you are willing to share.
beejay.jones@gmail.com
Thanks
Bee Jay
bigkensteele
Bee Jay, this sucks to no end, as I am another that has followed your thread for inspiration. However, perspective is everything - you didn't lose your wife, child, parent or sibling. You had a set-back on a project that has probably been mostly enjoyable. So you get to do a few things over again, and maybe make some things better.

You have done great work! Call a family meeting in the garage and rally the troops.

Once you figure out what you need, please post, and I will see what I have to donate.

Ken
Bee Jay
I've been away in Texas for a week. It was good to get away from this. It was devastating all over again to see the car again today. Damn, it's really bad. I jacked the car up to look underneath and damn, damn, damn. I'm not sure I can get motivated to do this again. I've been working on this restoration for over ten years. It's such a freakin' mess. The insurance appraiser will be by tomorow. I guess he could provide me with some motivation. We will see how it goes. Thanks to rnellums for the info. I printed it all out and I'm having pictures of the finished car and progress pictures printed too.
Bee Jay
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
AZ914
Damn BeeJay, hope the insurance company does you right, that is what its for.
Is there anything structural destroyed? Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks mostly cosmetic (and of course rubber, wiring tire, etc).
IronHillRestorations
It's a bummer Beej for sure. I get a sick feeling every time I look at the pics, I can only imagine how you feel. It's a good thing you had some time away from the carnage.

Just remember all the good advice you've gotten here though. Nobody died or is laying comatose in the ER since that day.

As much as you poured out your own flesh, blood, tears, and hard earned cash, it is a car and there's very nice cars for sale all the time.

Weigh the options, and take some time my friend before making any solid decisions. Like it or not, you are dealing with a death sad.gif
Bee Jay
The appraiser showed up last night. One of the first things he asks me is how much did I think the car was worth. I gave him the comps that Robert Nellums sent me and said about $20,000. After looking at the car a few minutes, he said if the car was only worth $20,000, they are definitely going to want to total it. But I could buy it back. I really didn't want a salvage title. He took a ton of pictures. Then he asked me if the lift works and if we can get the car up to see underneath. I said sure. This is what we saw.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I then handed him a stack of pictures of the car in it's finshed state and some in progress pictures. I also gave him few pictures of the new engine and explained what a 914-6 Conversion was. He kept a few of the finished pictures and said that the adjuster will be in touch. That was no fun.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
mepstein
I think 20K is a reasonable selling price but way to low as a cost to build price. I would call him up and let him know you put together a comprehensive build sheet and underestimated the price. Then price out ever part to build your car if you had to buy today. Get Wayne, Kap Crusty or another pro to sign off on the list. Prices should all be reasonable replacement cost, not super duper deal cost. I'm willing to bet you have a 35-40K car.

I'm no insurance pro - Just my opinion. Good luck, Mark
patssle
Can one include man hours worked as part of the price? Maybe not for the 10 years of working on it, but at least the /6 conversion?
campbellcj
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 3 2011, 12:01 PM) *

Can one include man hours worked as part of the price? Maybe not for the 10 years of working on it, but at least the /6 conversion?

Not as far as I know, without detailed verifiable time records. You could just imagine the kind of fraud opportunities that would open-up. I'm not an insurance expert by any stretch, however.

Not to cast a dark cloud over this tragedy, but I'm still worried that the insurance company may be covering this car as a stock 914-4 and valuing it accordingly. Unless you have an "agreed value" policy, they are going by the VIN number and available market value data per that VIN.
scotty b
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 3 2011, 11:01 AM) *

No.

This probably goes without saying but, do NOTHING to that car until you have a chek in hand. Don't even wipe the smoke residue off. Insurance companies for the most part ar fine to deal with but every once in a while you get that one that is a PITA. Leave things as they are until the settlement is reached. IMHO buy the car back and reuse the shell. If you can get it as a slavage title it can be rebuilt, it will just always have a dirty title. You have a good solid car that is a great re-starting point
charliew
Damn the corrosion is taking over fast though. I would hope to get something sprayed on it to stop the corroding as soon as possible. I think you can tell in the photos of the starter where the cranking by itself came from. So sorry but you can do it I'm sure and what a story it will be. It is a nice car, just a little messed up but at least not all bent up or rusted out.
Series9
I am also very sorry about this.

However, that's enough sadness for this misfortune.

Start taking it apart. Take the opportunity to do the things you could have done better as you were learning. Throw away what can't be saved, catalog what can be saved, make lists of the things you need and let us start donating to put you back on track.

The check from the insurance will be fun to spend on new parts and remember that the build is a major part of the enjoyment of your car.

What do you need? I'll help!
beerchug.gif

We should have a tear-down party. chowtime.gif
moparrob
QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 3 2011, 08:30 PM) *

Start taking it apart. Take the opportunity to do the things you could have done better as you were learning. Throw away what can't be saved, catalog what can be saved, make lists of the things you need and let us start donating to put you back on track.

We should have a tear-down party. chowtime.gif

agree.gif
Cairo94507
I agree with the Cap'n on this one. Do not touch it until you have a check in your hands. Cover it and do not alter it in any way. I would then prepare a detailed inventory of the parts you have in the car to the best of your ability.

Good luck and best wishes on a speedy, fair resolution.
Series9
Yeah, they're right about waiting for the settlement to get started.

But then......
Bee Jay
The dance begins. They are offering me $12K. They are using two 914s for sale in Ohio and Washington as comps. Both are four cyinder cars. One is at a dealer and the other is a private sale. I need to find as many 914-6 Conversion prices and convince them that their offer is way too low. They did give me a positive adjustment for converting the car from a 1.7 to a 2.0. I think they went by the 2.0 badge still on the car. The estimator that came out an looked at the car is not the same person or even company that estimated the value of my car. I'll call them Monday morning and be ready to fax, email, or mail any documentation, pictures, reciepts they will accept. Any 914-6 Conversion cars for sale on line out there? I'd appreciate any links. I guess I could strip the body, repaint it, rewire it, and refurb and replace all fire and smoke damaged parts for $12K if I did all of the labor and paint preps. My wife found a 74 911 targa online for $12. I think she wants a car running and driveable so she can get her husband back. I think I really want to bring this car back. Phoenix, rising from the ashes. I had a long talk with the Cap'n, John Larson. He can be crusty sometimes, but then he can be very compasionate too. He said there is no good reason not to rebuild. He already has a painter in mind and offered to help me rewire the car.
I also really appreciate the encouraging words I get here on this forum. If any of you are ever in Lompoc, I'll buy you a beer or lemonade.
beejay.jones@gmail.com

Thanks
Bee Jay
AZ914
Ugh.. use the classifieds here and on Pelican. even ebay completed listings...
mepstein
I don't think 12K is enough to cover the cost of your car if they are calling it totaled and you have to buy it back but 12K should be enough to rebuild what you have and make it nice as long as you spend carefully and do the work other than paint.

The people making the offer are just looking at the info provided to them. I think you can get more if you give them more details. Treat them nice and talk to their supervisors if you hit a wall.
rnellums
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Aug 6 2011, 06:45 AM) *

The dance begins. They are offering me $12K. They are using two 914s for sale in Ohio and Washington as comps. Both are four cyinder cars. One is at a dealer and the other is a private sale. I need to find as many 914-6 Conversion prices and convince them that their offer is way too low. They did give me a positive adjustment for converting the car from a 1.7 to a 2.0. I think they went by the 2.0 badge still on the car. The estimator that came out an looked at the car is not the same person or even company that estimated the value of my car. I'll call them Monday morning and be ready to fax, email, or mail any documentation, pictures, reciepts they will accept. Any 914-6 Conversion cars for sale on line out there? I'd appreciate any links. I guess I could strip the body, repaint it, rewire it, and refurb and replace all fire and smoke damaged parts for $12K if I did all of the labor and paint preps. My wife found a 74 911 targa online for $12. I think she wants a car running and driveable so she can get her husband back. I think I really want to bring this car back. Phoenix, rising from the ashes. I had a long talk with the Cap'n, John Larson. He can be crusty sometimes, but then he can be very compasionate too. He said there is no good reason not to rebuild. He already has a painter in mind and offered to help me rewire the car.
I also really appreciate the encouraging words I get here on this forum. If any of you are ever in Lompoc, I'll buy you a beer or lemonade.
beejay.jones@gmail.com

Thanks
Bee Jay

I don't know if you still use a stOck harness, but I have one out of my parts car that is as perfect as they get. I was saving it for a future build, but I don't need it now. Send me an address if you need it.
-Ross
Bee Jay
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 7 2011, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Aug 6 2011, 06:45 AM) *

beejay.jones@gmail.com

Thanks
Bee Jay

I don't know if you still use a stOck harness, but I have one out of my parts car that is as perfect as they get. I was saving it for a future build, but I don't need it now. Send me an address if you need it.
-Ross

If you mean the stock harness that goes from the fuse box back to the relay board and tailights, etc. in the rear of the car, heck yes I need it. I'll gladly pay. Also, I'll be using your data in my dance with the insurance company. I gave it all to the appraiser that came to the house and took pictures, but I don't think it made it into the hands of whoever did the total offer.
Thanks again.
Bee Jay
Bernard E. Jones
3123 Manley Drive
Lompoc, CA. 93436
TorqueJunkie
Just FYI, most insurance companies will take a car at its stock value, but if you have recipients for all your modifications and parts that you installed, they are supposed to add that to the base price. So gather up all your receipts and make sure they have copies to add to your offer.
Bee Jay
The insurance company has agreed to take a look at comps, evidence of California 914-6 Conversions for sale or that sold. So, if anyone has adds or listings of 914-6 Conversions, especially California cars, please send them to
bernard.jones@verizon.net
and
beejay.jones@gmail.com

I made a big stink of them using a 914 for sale sitting on a dealers lot in Ohio to come up with my cars value. I told them that my car was a concourse quality California car with a 3.0 liter 911 engine. They agreed to take another look. The appraisal was done by a commercial appraiser, not USAA.
Bee Jay
rnellums
Good to hear! I hope it comes out well.
Bee Jay
Mount up, we are going to war! USAA refuses to budge off the $10k minus the deductible minus what they could get for the car at the salvage yard, final offer. I'm hiring my own appraiser for $250 and then we split the cost of an umpire for $500. The worst I can do is USAAs low ball offer minus the appraisal fee minus the umpire fee. The best I can do is my appraiser's much higher estimate wins out.
In the mean time, I've replaced my Costco canvas garage and the car is out of the California foggy morning's weather. Everyone should pay the $250 and get an independent appraisal. I have two other vintage cherry collectibles that I drive regularly. That means I commute and drive for pleasure whenever I can. I don't think collector car, only drive to car events, no commuting policies would work for me.
rnellums
I hope this ends up well for you! I'll be shipping a wiring harness out to you soon. Do you need the entire harness or only the rear components?
Bee Jay
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 17 2011, 11:16 AM) *

I hope this ends up well for you! I'll be shipping a wiring harness out to you soon. Do you need the entire harness or only the rear components?

Thanks.
I need almost everything from the firewall on back to the rear tailights including the wire harness from the fuse box to the relay box.
But hold off on shipping anything just yet. I may have a lead on a title less roller that is local. It may have wire harness, passenger window, brake lines, etc. Then we can have a sawzall party.
Bee Jay
IronHillRestorations
A nice clean roller with some extras would be the way to go IMHO. Sorry Beej, I have a problem with the remnants of a firery hot melt down. Between the melted glass, seals, wiring, and panel warpage it's OK to lay it your loss to rest, and make it a salvage operation. It's a 914 not a 904, so if you are patient there are still good chassis out there.
Bee Jay
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 17 2011, 04:27 PM) *

A nice clean roller with some extras would be the way to go IMHO. Sorry Beej, I have a problem with the remnants of a firery hot melt down. Between the melted glass, seals, wiring, and panel warpage it's OK to lay it your loss to rest, and make it a salvage operation. It's a 914 not a 904, so if you are patient there are still good chassis out there.

Thanks Perry.
Your with my wife. She wants me to buy a car already restored and ready to drive. She's been shopping 911s and Miata's. I teased her, if your dog or husband came home after getting hit by a car, would you hospitalize and rehab, or put them down and get another one? I think she would put me down and call Denzel Washington. Ha.
The only cars I really would consider as a replacement would be a Lotus Elise or a C5 Z06 Vette. Both out of my price range right now, though I know I could have owned either with the money I've spent and will spend.
I only got to drive the 914-6 around the block. I never got to hammer it. I loved driving my 914 2.0 and I miss it. I wake up every morning feeling differently, but I think I need a project to keep my sanity,...... or insanity. I had the body inspected, the body is straight, no warps.
Bee Jay
VaccaRabite
USAA did not want to insure mine at all. they pushed me towards one of their affiliates that insured "classics". My 914 is my only car not covered under USAA.
IronHillRestorations
You need my Boxster more than a Miata! I wouldn't push the Denzel thing too much Beej!
campbellcj
BeeJay, how about buying a solid 914-4 with nice paint and swapping all your stuff over? You should be able to recoup some of the purchase cost by selling the -4 engine and any duplicate parts that are still OK on your car. Avoiding a paint job would sure shave a bunch off your rebuilding costs.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Aug 18 2011, 09:16 PM) *

BeeJay, how about buying a solid 914-4 with nice paint and swapping all your stuff over? You should be able to recoup some of the purchase cost by selling the -4 engine and any duplicate parts that are still OK on your car. Avoiding a paint job would sure shave a bunch off your rebuilding costs.

agree.gif

DanT's old car is for sale in Santa maria and has recent paint...... You could sell the 2056 for a decent return... idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Aug 8 2011, 11:12 AM) *

The insurance company has agreed to take a look at comps, evidence of California 914-6 Conversions for sale or that sold. So, if anyone has adds or listings of 914-6 Conversions, especially California cars, please send them to
bernard.jones@verizon.net
and
beejay.jones@gmail.com

I made a big stink of them using a 914 for sale sitting on a dealers lot in Ohio to come up with my cars value. I told them that my car was a concourse quality California car with a 3.0 liter 911 engine. They agreed to take another look. The appraisal was done by a commercial appraiser, not USAA.
Bee Jay

Be more convincing if you spelled "concours" correctly ...................

The Cap'n

Hi, Bee Jay!
Bee Jay
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 18 2011, 11:41 AM) *

You need my Boxster more than a Miata! I wouldn't push the Denzel thing too much Beej!

How does the boxter compare to the 914-6. Those Boxters are really affordable now and would be better than a Miata I guess.
Bee Jay
moparrob
You could always consider a Boxster with a bad engine and upgrade to a Turbo Subie for about 350+ HP.

cool conversion
D1A3
Wow, this could happen to anybody. So sorry for hearing this and the pictures just look awful. I really feel for you.

Regarding insurance, there are lots of classic options out there that will allow you to drive and enjoy the car. I have 5000 miles/year and agreed value ($18,000). I pay $200 a year for that.

Maybe the insurance will pay for the "repairs" or are they saying it is a total loss? It looks like it is pretty salvageable.

Good luck!
mepstein
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Aug 17 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Mount up, we are going to war! USAA refuses to budge off the $10k minus the deductible minus what they could get for the car at the salvage yard, final offer. I'm hiring my own appraiser for $250 and then we split the cost of an umpire for $500. The worst I can do is USAAs low ball offer minus the appraisal fee minus the umpire fee. The best I can do is my appraiser's much higher estimate wins out.
In the mean time, I've replaced my Costco canvas garage and the car is out of the California foggy morning's weather. Everyone should pay the $250 and get an independent appraisal. I have two other vintage cherry collectibles that I drive regularly. That means I commute and drive for pleasure whenever I can. I don't think collector car, only drive to car events, no commuting policies would work for me.

So it will be some more time and more money. What else is new. It's a 914. If this was about being reasonable, well, you wouldn't have a teener. YOU MUST REBUILD! biggrin.gif
Bee Jay
Update. I got my car appraised by an appraiser located in Florida. This dude knows cars and really knows Porsches. I got a really nice portfolio with a write up and comps and pictures of my car. He appraised my 914-6 conversion at $27K and explained in depth why it was worth that much. Let's see what USAA does now. My appraiser says that they will sometimes adjust their offer without going to the umpire so he is calling them to see what he can work out for me. If you need your car professionally appraised, I've got your guy. It ain't cheap though. PM me.
Also, I almost bought this roller. I had to pass because I have storage issues. The car has two sets of doors, bumpers and valances. The roller is located in San Louis Obispo, and if your are interested PM me. I was getting it for $350 delivered.
So with no roller, I will need all of that generous help with parts everyone was so nice to offer. I'm anxious to get the insurance settled and start removing this engine and interior. I may even remove the suspension. I will need to build a dolly. Any links to how to do that?
Bee Jay
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
hwgunner
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Sep 1 2011, 08:19 PM) *

Update. I got my car appraised by an appraiser located in Florida. This dude knows cars and really knows Porsches. I got a really nice portfolio with a write up and comps and pictures of my car. He appraised my 914-6 conversion at $27K and explained in depth why it was worth that much. Let's see what USAA does now. My appraiser says that they will sometimes adjust their offer without going to the umpire so he is calling them to see what he can work out for me. If you need your car professionally appraised, I've got your guy. It ain't cheap though. PM me.
Also, I almost bought this roller. I had to pass because I have storage issues. The car has two sets of doors, bumpers and valances. The roller is located in San Louis Obispo, and if your are interested PM me. I was getting it for $350 delivered.
So with no roller, I will need all of that generous help with parts everyone was so nice to offer. I'm anxious to get the insurance settled and start removing this engine and interior. I may even remove the suspension. I will need to build a dolly. Any links to how to do that?
Bee Jay

That looks familiar! beer3.gif
Bee Jay
You know this car?
Bee Jay
Scott S
I was just cleaning out old favorites on my computer and stumbled across this thread (Bee Jay and I were doing our conversions at the same time).

Sorry to bring up past pains, but was curious if anyone still keeps in touch with Bee Jay and knows what he ultimately did with the car.

He had been part of the 914 community for something like 15 years prior to this happening.

If you are out there - hope all is well.
JmuRiz
agree.gif
Blast from the past for sure! So bummed when you see stuff like fires or crashes on cars that got done and were being enjoyed
Spoke
Wow. That car was beautiful. He did such a nice job on the conversion. Very sad.
Bee Jay
Hi guys. It's been ten years and I still haven't started the restoration. I got a new C8 Corvette on the way, so I need the garage space. I don't have the heart to part this car out, so it's for sale. Lots of good parts and a great rust free body. But it has to be disassembled, repainted, and re assembled. The engine hasn't run in ten years either. If interested, email me at:
beejay.jones@gmail.com
Re reading this thread brings lots of laughs and tears, especially missing the Cap'n, John Larson. Rest in Paradise John.
Bee Jay
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Oct 26 2021, 08:54 PM) *

Hi guys. It's been ten years and I still haven't started the restoration. I got a new C8 Corvette on the way, so I need the garage space. I don't have the heart to part this car out, so it's for sale. Lots of good parts and a great rust free body. But it has to be disassembled, repainted, and re assembled. The engine hasn't run in ten years either. If interested, email me at:
beejay.jones@gmail.com
Re reading this thread brings lots of laughs and tears, especially missing the Cap'n, John Larson. Rest in Paradise John.
Bee Jay

Welcome back!
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.