Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Out with the old...in with the new...Britain's Racecar Development
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
URY914
Looks heavy. w00t.gif
Britain Smith
What we added is less than what we took out. Plus, I need more weight in the front of the car.

-Britain
SirAndy
So, you really think this is gonna make you drive faster? biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
Ok guys, sorry for the slight delay in posting updates. I ended up breaking my nose playing basketball and had to get surgery to get it fixed which forced my to cancel one of my trips down to Cali to work on the car. I did however make it down there this past weekend and made good progress.

This first bit of work that I had completed before making the trip down was the inboard shock rocker assemblies. I had the plates waterjet cut and the bearing carriers machined locally.

IPB Image

Here are the rockers in place on the car. Still need to complete the pushrod to the control arm and get the shocks that I plan to run.

IPB Image

Here is the front suspension rockers viewed from inside the fender wells. I also cleaned up the sheet metal cutouts and made clearance for the steering rack where it passes thru.

IPB Image

Front fender well with the front suspension jig in place. I mounted this back in place to get the wheelbase measurements to the rear suspension.

IPB Image

Speaking of the steering rack, the steering shaft is completed. Had to interface between the Lotus splines and the Porsche splines. Both shafts where machined the same diameter and a metal sleeve was made and welded in-between. I had to section the sheetmetal to allow the steering shaft to pass thru when the steering rack is at the upper mounting location.

IPB Image

Britain Smith
Now on to the rear suspension.

First up was to cut the front half of the trunk floor and shock towers out.

IPB Image

Next we cut out the old trailing arm suspension ears.

IPB Image

After lots and lots of grinding, this is what we ended up with...lots of space to work with.

IPB Image

To start, we constructed a jig that runs the entire length of the car and reference the mounting locations for the rear suspension to the front suspension. This allows us to put everything in alignment front and rear and side to side.

IPB Image

Side view of the location of the rear suspension in reference to the transmission. The custom axles are going to be around 23" long and require a custom outer stub-axle to be machined.

IPB Image

Here you can see the jig running from the front suspension to the rear.

IPB Image

The rear sub-frame will be attached to the car in 6 locations and will hold the complete rear suspension as well as the engine and transmission. This is the lower bar going into place. You can see in the foreground the bung that was welded into the chassis.

IPB Image

This is Teddy, the owner and machinist at Mavrik Motorsports, the shop where I am constructing this contraption. He is notching the tubing for the rear sub-frame.

IPB Image

Lower sub-frame bar going into place.

IPB Image

I will be back down there this coming Sat. and the plan is to complete the rear sub-frame and start working on the new cage.

-Britain

PeeGreen 914
That's a lot of fab work blink.gif I hope it all pays off. Looks like very nice work Britain. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Wowsers.

To damn cool.
PlaysWithCars
Completely over the top. I bet J.P. had no idea what was in store for his baby when he sold it. (I bet you didn't either rolleyes.gif )
Britain Smith
Yea, it is an adventure with no end in sight. I talk with JP all the time...we both knew this was coming eventually.

-Britain
oldschool
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 8 2011, 10:18 PM) *

Yea, it is an adventure with no end in sight. I talk with JP all the time...we both knew this was coming eventually.

-Britain

Very cool man, yeah I know the shop Ted is way cool. aktion035.gif
bulitt
Just read your thread and starting from page one noticed the pic of the factory ported intake ports. I don't believe I have ever seen a port job that left the casting marks intact?
Great job! Awesome work!
IPB Image
I have to add these two simple comments:

*congrats

*one bad ass ride
d914
I dont think horse power is his problem right now,,, keeping that hp bolted to the ground is!! smile.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE(bulitt @ Dec 9 2011, 05:43 AM) *

Just read your thread and starting from page one noticed the pic of the factory ported intake ports. I don't believe I have ever seen a port job that left the casting marks intact?
Great job! Awesome work!
IPB Image

My understanding is that they were cast with larger ports as compared to standard 2.0L heads. I agree, they don't appear to be hand ported.

-Britain
Britain Smith
QUOTE(oldschool @ Dec 9 2011, 12:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 8 2011, 10:18 PM) *

-Britain

Very cool man, yeah I know the shop Ted is way cool. aktion035.gif

I will be back down in SoCal this Sat. thru Tuesday...come by and check it out.

-Britain
J P Stein
Brit continues with the mantra of "It's never done" or continuous improvement ....pick one. My spirit was strong but my wallet was weak.
The car did OK for with my low rent efforts but Brit is moving to a higher level......but it still requires development. No instant gratification here..just a lot of hard work. I am confident that he will make it work.
Cap'n Krusty
Braved the 605 and the 5 Saturday to see the project. Amazing attention to "how stuff works". Gonna end up with an insane power to weight ratio in a chassis that should handle like a slot car. Impressive! I look forward to seeing it run some events.

The Cap'n
Randal
What's the schedule for the car Britain, i.e., are you planning any early events in 2012?

Excellent planning and execution.
Britain Smith
The current goal to have the car ready for testing by mid-Feb. Based on the amount that we got done in the last few days, that goal is feasible. I fly back to Portland tomorrow and I will have some time to post some new pictures. Wait till you see what we got done on the rear suspension...it is amazing.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Just got back from another 4 days in sunny SoCal working on the racecar. 12-15hrs days, but we got a lot done. Check it out.

Lower bars of the rear sub-frame completed. These two bars took 5 attempted to get right. They had to contact 4 points with two compound bends and angled cuts. They intersect the frame rails in the front and the transmission mounts in the back.

IPB Image

Side view of the lower sub-frame in place without the engine and transmission in place. Used an extra 901 nosecone to locate the transmission mounts.

IPB Image

Jigs in place to locate the proper pick-ups points for the upper mounts. The upper mounts are in-board 1/4" to achieve more negative camber compared to a stock lotus.

IPB Image

Rear suspension control arms in place at the upper pick-up point. Additional rear body mount added for the upper mount bar to hit the chassis.

IPB Image

Rear Lotus wheel mounted on the car.

IPB Image

Britain Smith
The rear sub-frame will also be a cradle for the engine mounts. This will free up some much needed room in the front of the engine. These utilize the stock Subaru engine mount parts with a few modifications.

IPB Image

Engine in place in the new sub-frame and bolted to the car. There will be an additional cross-bar in place between the frame rails.

IPB Image

The sub-frame will unbolt from the car and the engine, transmission, and rear suspension will come out as one piece.

IPB Image

Side view of the sub-frame. The will be an additional bar across the front of the engine to support the turbo and other items that used to be mounted to the old crossbar.

IPB Image

Completed rear sub-frame in place in the car for final welding. Here you can see the new engine mounts.

IPB Image

Britain Smith
I knew the day would come sooner or later, but here we are cutting out the old cage.

IPB Image

The old cage was 1.75" x 0.120" and weighed in at 92lbs. It was a bit heavy as you can tell from my expression here.

IPB Image

Pile of bars from the old cage. 92lbs of steel sitting here. I estimate that the new cage will be approximately 50lbs.

IPB Image

View from the rear without the cage. The new cage will tie in the frame rails as well as the two bars sticking up in the rear which are the upper sub-frame mounts.

IPB Image

Additional structure related to the old suspension cut out of the front. Material will be added back to the wheel wells and the cage will extend forward to pick-up the front suspension assembly.

IPB Image

Lotus steering rack in place and excess 914 sheet metal removed.

IPB Image

Lots more room in the car with the cage removed.

IPB Image

Next step is to construct the new cage and start putting the car back together.

-Britain
Chris Pincetich
wild beerchug.gif
Do you think the new "system" will accelerate or slow engine or transaxle removal?
Critical decision: paint the new cage to match the suspension sub-frame, or in a contrasting color? biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
The removable sub-frame should make the engine removal much quicker since the I won't have to disconnect the axles or any of that stuff. I plan to add quick disconnects for the brake lines, but I will still have to deal with the radiator lines.

-Britain
Andyrew
Awesome smile.gif

You will be running the porsche wheels with the new tires correct?
Britain Smith
Nope. The Lotus stuff is 4x100 so I will be ordering all new wheels...which are wider smile.gif

All my old wheels are for sale if you are interested....see the classifieds.

-Britain
yeahmag
Where are you doing the build? I'd love to drop by and see it in person...
Britain Smith
It is at Mavrik Motorsports in Fullerton.

-Britain
yeahmag
Heading down to Costa Mesa R&D on Saturday so I'll be driving right by there (well, close anyway). Let me know if it's acceptable to drop in. Not sure I'll have time, but just in case...
Britain Smith
I am sure it won't be a problem, I won't be there...but the car is.

_Britain
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 15 2011, 09:54 AM) *

It is at Mavrik Motorsports in Fullerton.

-Britain

Is it ok to stop by and see the monster smile.gif

Never mind- just noticed your response - thanks
Britain Smith
Just booked another flight down there for Jan 7th thru the 10th....maybe we should hold a BBQ or something.

-Britain
yeahmag
Sounds great to me! I'd be happy to host it in Pasadena if we need a spot.
Britain Smith
We would just do it at the shop...I can't spare much time away from working on the car, I am only there for 4 days.

-Britain
oldschool
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 16 2011, 11:28 AM) *

We would just do it at the shop...I can't spare much time away from working on the car, I am only there for 4 days.

-Britain
If time allows I will be shooting the event.... aktion035.gif
Britain Smith
Ah great, gotta get the car done so there is something good to look at!

-Britain
Britain Smith
I will be returning to So-Cal this weekend for another few days of car-building fun. On Sunday we will be holding a Part-Out Party for my co-owners '84 Carrera, you guys are welcome to come by and check out the racecar and/or get any 911 parts you need for "other" projects.

The shop is:

Mavrik Motorsports
3811 Artesia Ave
Fullerton, CA 92833

This trips plan is to get the cage done and hang all the suspension on the car to make it a roller.

-Britain
JRust
Sounds good Brit! Keep those pics coming smile.gif
Twystd1
Hey Britt.

I will be there to help as well at the end of the month.
And I am bringing some tools, clamps and magnetic angles as well.

Thanks for letting me touch your car. That was serious fun bro.

Clayton
Britain Smith
No problem Clayton...you were some serious help...I owe you a 6-pack. I will be there Feb 2nd, we will be in touch.

-Britain
Britain Smith
Sorry about the lack of updates. I have since made two trips back down to California to work on the car and have made pretty good progress. As always, I had hoped to be further along at this point that I am but I am about 90% there.

First off, the new cage is coming together nicely. The regulations to get my head under the cage and to meet the broomstick rule forced me to mount the seat lower and farther back and raise both the main hoop and the a-piller bar under the windscreen.

Here is the cockpit area.

IPB Image

You can see how high the front a-piller bar is now.

IPB Image

The raised main hoop and the rules around the downbars forced me to either cut the targa bar or go over it...I decided to go over it and pick-up the rear suspension point.

IPB Image

In the front, two bars extend from the top of the a-piller to the front suspension sub-frame. There will be two additional bars from the lower part of the a-piller forward that still need to get done.

IPB Image

Britain Smith
Back on the rear sub-frame. Additional bars added to the rear lower subframe to strenghten the structure and triangulate everything.

IPB Image

And the other side.

IPB Image

A bar was added over the transmission and tie in the two sides of the rear sub-frame.

IPB Image

Another bar under the rear of the transmission that can also serve as a jack-point.

IPB Image

And finally a turbo mount bar that snakes up above the header and will help tie together the subframe.

IPB Image

Britain Smith
It is always the small stuff that takes up all the time. I had to make a new seat bracket, relocate the pedal assembly, make a hold for the dash off the a-piller bar and a couple of other small things.

Here is the relocated the ECU to the passenger firewall. I will need to construct a nice cover to keep it out of the elements. Fortunately I only had to rewire a handful of the wires to move it and the old panel worked perfectly.

IPB Image

Fuel tank relocated to the passenger footwell with the fuel pump mounted right under it. This will keep it out of the heat from the radiator. I will need to construct a bulkhead to comply with the rules.

IPB Image

New front trunk floor. This panel is structural to hold the front of the car together.

IPB Image

Britain Smith
And now to the good stuff.

Front suspension geometry completed and shock mounted for fitment.

IPB Image

Front suspension with two bar in place to simulate shocks. We will use the to get the approximate corner weights and get the new shocks valved.

IPB Image

Outboard struts for the inboard rockers. These are adjustable so we can play with ride height.

IPB Image

New Bogart wheels with some old slicks mounted. Front weighed in a 38lbs with tire. These are 11" tires on a 10" rim.

IPB Image

Now that is what I am talking about...front meat!

IPB Image

Bogart wheels look great...might have to do a little bodywork mods.

IPB Image
Britain Smith
I love this shot...looks like the rear of a Porsche 908 with all the exposed suspension parts. Both rear toe links completed and everything bolted up. Need to complete the shock mounts and this thing will be on the ground.

IPB Image

Lots and lots of work put into this rear sub-frame assembly. You can also see the new battery mount.

IPB Image

Rear Bogart wheels mounted. These are 12" slicks on an 11.5" rim. These weigh in a 42lbs with tire.

IPB Image

Inside of the rear wheels. Still need to get some custom axles made.

IPB Image

Custom rear toe links that a combination of Nitron outboard heim joints and custom toe link bars

IPB Image

Approximate location for the rear shocks. Ran out of time to get them mounted so I will have to make another trip down to finish things up.

IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 14 2012, 12:41 AM) *

Hey Britt.

I will be there to help as well at the end of the month.
And I am bringing some tools, clamps and magnetic angles as well.

Thanks for letting me touch your car. That was serious fun bro.

Clayton

And you are??? confused24.gif
JRust
Insanity Brit! Holy crapola what a job. Nice work man. It's looking great drooley.gif
Randal
Just outstanding Britain. Can't wait to see it run. smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
Nice job recruiting NARPsters for your NARP beerchug.gif
Have you ever seen another 914 before this one go OVER the targa bar on both sides with the roll cage?
AWEsome work, appreciate all the sharing of the race car development beerchug.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Feb 9 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Nice job recruiting NARPsters for your NARP beerchug.gif
Have you ever seen another 914 before this one go OVER the targa bar on both sides with the roll cage?
AWEsome work, appreciate all the sharing of the race car development beerchug.gif

Nope, never seen the cage over the targa bar and honestly it is growing on me.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.