Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who wants to go to WCR 2012?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ConeDodger
Click to view attachment
WCR 2012 - Ramble In The Dunes

WHERE: Monterey CA
WHEN: April 26 - April 29
Some will want to arrive the 25th and get an early start on the parking lot festivities! Others will drift in on the 26th...
There is a lot of information here, but please read it all carefully. We try to keep everything as concise as possible, but there is a lot you need to know.
1. Register with 914World for the event.
2. Book your hotel room.
3. Sign up for Sat and/or Sun autocross, if you're participating.
See the sections below for details.

Schedule of Events
Thursday- arrive, hang, and eat provided BBQ.
Friday- twisties drive, afternoon open (tech sessions?)
Saturday- auto cross at Marina (optional drive for non AXers), dinner provided, awards
Sunday- auto cross at Marina

Somewhere in there will be car judging.

Registration Info
Our headquarters will be the Motel 6 at 100 Reservation Road in Marina, just North of Monterey! Rooms will average $50 - $60 a night. There is no additional group rate.

Below is a link so you can make your reservations...
Book your hotel online or by phone.

READ THIS-----READ THIS-----READ THIS
Please. Please. Please, include your 914World login name and shirt size in the comments section of the PayPal payment.
Chasing down who is who from the payments is always a real PITA.
If you don't do this, you will be mocked and ridiculed.

READ THIS-----READ THIS-----READ THIS

Full registration is $55 per person. This includes the free goodies and food.
If you are signing up a non-914World member for full registration, please include First Name + Last Initial or alternate for their free name tag. (i.e. McMark's wife would get Allison D. or Mrs. McMark)
Extra registration is $25 per person. This does not include goodies, but does include food. Usually for spouses.
Kids are free.
If you want to show up for a short period of time, which doesn't include eating, you don't need to explicitly register. If you are going to eat with us, PLEASE at least sign up for the Extra Registraion.

PayPal payments can be sent to: 914wcr2012@gmail.com
Check payments must pm biosurfer1

Check in on this thread to see if your registration has been received.

Autocross Details
Saturday's AX is $50 ($40 for PCA members)
Here is more info/registration for the Sat AX. Suspended temporarily for some reason... confused24.gif
Begins at 7:30 AM.
Bring sunscreen, food/water, helmet, camping chair, etc. No Alcohol.

Sunday's AX is $45 ($35 for PCA members) GGR-PCA apparently hasn't added the event to the online registration site.
Apparently deli sandwiches can be ordered for $8 in the morning.
Begins at 7:30 AM.
Bring sunscreen, food/water, helmet, camping chair, etc. No Alcohol.

You MUST sign up via MotorsportReg.com before the event or you will pay an extra $10 at the door.

If you don't have a helmet, a limited number of loaners are available at the event.

Should be lots of fun with a two day autocross thrown in for good measure! Both days will be at the massive Marina site at the airport. The second day is Sunday the 29th which some will use as a travel day but stick around if you want and show us what you got!

Lots to see and do so bring the family! More details to come! Who's in???
TurboWalt
If I am in the USA by then I will be there! I plan to be relocated to the San Diego area by then. My 914 will of course still be on jackstands at the time, will my 190 Benz be welcome?
biosurfer1
I'll be there
PDXMike
Our reservations have been made.
ConeDodger
Walt, you are welcome in whatever you want to drive... You could pick up some t-shirts and beer mugs while you're there too! biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
I'll try to be there. With or without a 914...
Valy
Yes, unless work needs me badly.
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif
driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
rick 918-S
I'll try. We love Monterey! Only glitch is it is the weekend before my sons wedding. I may have duties as father of the groom that I won't be able to shirk. dry.gif I said I would bring two cars. If we can make it I will bring the Ravenna car for sure.
Seaside6
Count me in!
strawman
Bummer, already have plans that weekend! And it will be so close to where I now live... headbang.gif

Have fun ladies and gents.

Geoff
JStroud
We'll be there, hoping to have the yellow 914 on the road by then, and if I can keep the white 914 running, the wife and I will bring both.

See you there
Jeff
ConeDodger
This is going to be great! See how fast it's shaping up!
Cairo94507
I am going to try to make it down for a day of this event. My six should be in Scotty B's hands in Virginia at that time. I would love to see a whole bunch of 914's in one place.
jim_hoyland
I'm in... smile.gif Reservations made; anyone on the fence might consider making reservations, you can cancel up to 24 hours prior to check-in date at no cost.

Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
I am going to try to make it!
Lennies914
I'm in! piratenanner.gif

Just need to finish this;

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
Booked! biggrin.gif My son and his future bride are going to be bummed but hey, it's Monterey... come on.. shades.gif
Mikey914
Me+wife
+2 more
Mike Bellis
Booked my room. Me+Wife
rick 918-S
Hey Mark, I'm sure you'll be busy filling rubber orders for guys finishing up their cars for the event! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
McMark
Reservation made. boldblue.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 5 2012, 11:15 AM) *

Reservation made. boldblue.gif

Me too! beerchug.gif
jeeperjohn56
Rob, Me and Geri the other half will be there. John
hydroliftin
I'm confused. WCR is 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th. Autocross is 2 days, one of which is 29th. When is the other auto-X? Any other activities planned? Any back road tours planned? Show & shine?
markb
Reservation made. piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Feb 5 2012, 11:59 AM) *

I'm confused. WCR is 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th. Autocross is 2 days, one of which is 29th. When is the other auto-X? Any other activities planned? Any back road tours planned? Show & shine?

I am sorry for your confusion. As we add more details your confusion should clear. blink.gif

Seriously, autocross Saturday and Sunday at Marina with Zone 7 PCA. Drive and People's choice Friday, arrive and BS in the parking lot Thursday... smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Rob, have you identified the next closest hotel in the case of a sellout?
jim_hoyland
April could be a little wet:

Average Rainfall
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul

Inchs 4.0 3.0 3.2 1.5 0.4 0.2 0.1
McMark
Rob, have you identified the next closest hotel in the case of a sellout?

There are a few close hotels. 2 minutes with Google should answer anyone's questions. I called the host hotel and talked with them. They said they had plenty of rooms available that weekend.
rick 918-S
Book early though. You can always cancel if you need to but it would suck if they sold out before we take the place over.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 5 2012, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Feb 5 2012, 11:59 AM) *

I am sorry for your confusion. As we add more details your confusion should clear. blink.gif

Seriously, autocross Saturday and Sunday at Marina with Zone 7 PCA. Drive and People's choice Friday, arrive and BS in the parking lot Thursday... smile.gif

Thanks Rob -- I booked for Friday night. I'll take off work on Friday if time allows and be there for the drive and show & shine. Just me at this point uless I tranqulize my wife for the drive down and back.
jeeperjohn56
Room is booked, hope for the best weather ever, no negative wave's, think sunshine for four day's. John
JRust
Reservation is made. Not real excited to have it so early though. What happened to having it in summer? I'm not a lock for making it down. It is much tougher for me during the school year. Figured I would reserve my room just in case though. Here is hoping I can make it. 11 hours isn't to bad a drive smile.gif
rick 918-S
Is there a chance we could repete this photo?

Click to view attachment
a914622
I hope to make it.

April idea.gif Got a lot to do if the SVX is going to be ready by then. I best quit screwing around on the interweb and get to work!

Vanagons ok? just in case.

Jeff
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif Well, one more WCR I won't be able to make. I'll be on the other coast at a show. I'll make it to another one someday cheer.gif
ConeDodger
Rick,
If you have a lot of influence with SCCA we might be able to repeat that photo. They have a double regional race that weekend... Seriously though, if all of us enter that Zone 7 Double Autocross the PCA will not know what hit them. Damn 914's everywhere!!!!
rick 918-S
I don't know who arranged it but we were allowed on the track during a lunch break. After the group photo we were allowed to do a couple parade laps. It was one of the thrills of my life. I have been at the "Historics" and watched from every corner but there is no way to really know what the drivers experience until you see it through the windsheild of your own car. For those of us that are not racers: Totally awesome experience!
McMark
Good info Rick! on Thursday Laguna is running the racing school, but perhaps we could set up the same deal. I'll have to call them.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 6 2012, 01:02 PM) *

Good info Rick! on Thursday Laguna is running the racing school, but perhaps we could set up the same deal. I'll have to call them.

Man if we could do that again! wub.gif We need to see if we can top the total number of 914's that photo! first.gif There are 51 cars that I count.

Hmmm... is that some kind of coincedence? assimilate.gif
Tom_T
Crap & double crap! dry.gif
My 914's resto not even close (I'd drive up in the 325e or Westy though, or shotgun with someone else's 914), & I'll be out of state for meetings that week & weekend! sad.gif

It's usually the April G&R Swap & Flesh Roast that I miss on this annual April/May conference/etc., so maybe I can make that one this year? confused24.gif

Should be a fun time for everyone!

Weather may not be bad, as we used to have pretty good weather 80% of the time for the old Monterey Rugby Tournament on the P-Beach Polo Grounds about a month before, in mid to late March.
914work
Wasnt it Howard the put that deal together?

I agree with Rust, why so early. School doesnt get out till June.
Makes it kinda hard ...just sayin
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 6 2012, 07:04 PM) *

Wasnt it Howard the put that deal together?

I agree with Rust, why so early. School doesnt get out till June.
Makes it kinda hard ...just sayin

Nope. 04 was Jeff Bowlsby. This is the 914 mecca. Come on people!
ww914
I am booked, but I may be solo. Looks like it will be a fun time. Can't wait to meet you guys and see your cars.
dem
I'll roll down for a day. Is there an obvious day for the day-trippers?
JeffBowlsby
I'd like to make this if I can but currently have a conflict on the Sat/Sun. Are one day passes available for the Friday?

In 2004 I had help from several people...Rick O was one of them! I don't recall for certain who our contact was to get on at Laguna for the parade laps. I do remember Tom 'Turtle' gets the credit for the group photo with a telephoto from the stands. It may have been Ken Schipper who set up the Laguna access, I'd have to go through my records to see if there is any hint of who it was.

Weird, the parade lap was a highlight for me too, but I did receive some feedback saying how lame 2 laps was....whiners.

smile.gif

SirAndy
Since nobody has mentioned it yet, i'll throw in my 2 cents ...

- 2 days AX? Seriously? dry.gif

This means *no* organized tour, since a lot of people will be at the AX Saturday and Sunday.
And no other events for Saturday unless you want to move them to really late in the day. Most people will probably leave right after the AX on Sunday.

- Motel 6? A quick look at the map shows a really small parking lot that borders right on a residential area. There's houses within 15 feet of the parking lot.
So none of our usual parking lot party after 10pm. Unless you like playing tag with the cops.

I can't shake the feeling this was planned and executed by a AX focused group. To me this feels like a extended "racing" weekend in Marina, but *not* like a WCR.
sad.gif

Sorry Rob and everyone else involved, don't take this too personal, like i said, just my 2 cents ...
beerchug.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2012, 08:29 PM) *

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, i'll throw in my 2 cents ...

- 2 days AX? Seriously? dry.gif

This means *no* organized tour, since a lot of people will be at the AX Saturday and Sunday.
And no other events for Saturday unless you want to move them to really late in the day. Most people will probably leave right after the AX on Sunday.

- Motel 6? A quick look at the map shows a really small parking lot that borders right on a residential area. There's houses within 15 feet of the parking lot.
So none of our usual parking lot party after 10pm. Unless you like playing tag with the cops.

I can't shake the feeling this was planned and executed by a AX focused group. To me this feels like a extended "racing" weekend in Marina, but *not* like a WCR.
sad.gif

Sorry Rob and everyone else involved, don't take this too personal, like i said, just my 2 cents ...
beerchug.gif

Have to agree with Andy here. I don't feel as though I have any room to speak (cause I didn't step up to help) but unless things are set in stone perhaps a poll might be in order? confused24.gif

Thank you all for organizing the event regardless! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
I am concerned we may be a bit rowdy for the neighbors, are they good with our usual parking lot "get togethers"?
jim_hoyland
I'd like to see a alternative for Saturday,such as a saecond drive. Monterey has many great scenic spots. I remember dring to Big Sur from Monterey, an easy day trip,.

To attend the WCR and have 2 full days of AX may limit the interest, I know it changes my mind

The motel issue has to be addressed somehow. If the turnout is anything like past years, there will be late night activities. The motel is gonnahave to know up front

Planning events is always a challenge, please clarify the issues being raised by members: and, make changes if they make sense. Thanks for taking on the task
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.