Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
FourBlades

That is a nice project. piratenanner.gif

They look good. beer3.gif

John
monkeyboy
Nice progress.
dfelz
thanks guys for the kind words! I cant wait to finish the welding tonight!

Received my CA blue plates in the mail today! I bought them on ebay for $18.
When i register the car i want to do it at a AAA because they usually let little thinkgs slide, and although your alowed to register old plates to a car, they have to be period correct. the plates i have are the 7-digit sequence series of the blue plates, which started in 1980, so i would technically need the 6-digit sequence of the blue plate which ran from 1969-1980. So hopefully they dont car about that small little fact.
these plates are in great shape!! looks like they were only used one year! there is only one registration sticker on it, and its from 1980, these are time capsule plates piratenanner.gif

IPB Image
mrbubblehead
wow david those plates are sharp! hopefully you wont have any problems registering them.
oldschool
My white car had blue plates... headbang.gif but only one headbang.gif So I just got reg.
dfelz
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 26 2013, 02:56 PM) *

My white car had blue plates... headbang.gif but only one headbang.gif So I just got reg.

Ya thats one of the requirements, must have both plates!
nathansnathan
QUOTE(dfelz @ Feb 26 2013, 12:21 PM) *

thanks guys for the kind words! I cant wait to finish the welding tonight!

Received my CA blue plates in the mail today! I bought them on ebay for $18.
When i register the car i want to do it at a AAA because they usually let little thinkgs slide, and although your alowed to register old plates to a car, they have to be period correct. the plates i have are the 7-digit sequence series of the blue plates, which started in 1980, so i would technically need the 6-digit sequence of the blue plate which ran from 1969-1980. So hopefully they dont car about that small little fact.
these plates are in great shape!! looks like they were only used one year! there is only one registration sticker on it, and its from 1980, these are time capsule plates piratenanner.gif

IPB Image

I bought a set of similar plates off ebay, but my research on "year of manufacture" plates in California, how it seemed to me is you have to have plates with the exact sticker, month and year that your car was made - you then put the current registration sticker in your glove compartment.

The problem is that no police officer actually knows this law and so you end up getting pulled over and trying to explain the law to a new cop every week.

A way to do it that might work is to pay for a custom plate with those numbers and then just hang the blue one - a custom plate is a custom plate smile.gif
dfelz
Finished welding the first sway bar arm link, turned out nice! welder.gif
I am going back to the shop tomorrow morning to shear and bend more pieces, trying to have two pairs done by this saturday.

IPB Image

IPB Image

euro911
Cool. You are going to clean up those welds a little before powder-coating, right? biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
dfelz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 27 2013, 12:37 AM) *

Cool. You are going to clean up those welds a little before powder-coating, right? biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Haha, yes yes, indeed they will be cleaned up.

Hey i never got back to you about that DS seat mount you were going to see if you had an extra of laying around. I was referring to the part picture below.

IPB Image
euro911
Thanks for the reminder ... I'll check to see if the one I have is a DS tomorrow (well, actually later today).
dfelz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 27 2013, 01:04 AM) *

Thanks for the reminder ... I'll check to see if the one I have is a DS tomorrow (well, actually later today).

Sweeeeeet, thanks Mark!
FourBlades

I am interested in a set of those arms if you have one available.

I will zinc chromate them so I don't want them powder coated.

Thanks,

John
dfelz
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Feb 27 2013, 05:39 AM) *

I am interested in a set of those arms if you have one available.

I will zinc chromate them so I don't want them powder coated.

Thanks,

John

Cool John, thanks for the support in the product. I will let you know when I have your set done, should be by next weekend, and ill leave it plain for you to plate.
'73-914kid
David, if you want, we can throw a set of your first arms on my car real quick and head out on the roads around Pomona and beat the crap out of them if you want to do strength testing.. If it can survive the potholes around school, it can survive anything. haha
dfelz
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 27 2013, 09:56 AM) *

David, if you want, we can throw a set of your first arms on my car real quick and head out on the roads around Pomona and beat the crap out of them if you want to do strength testing.. If it can survive the potholes around school, it can survive anything. haha

HAHA, Yes! That sounds perfect! Dude the potholes on Valley on the way to in and out were the worst!! I am so happy they fixed that road, cause thats how i get home from school everyday!
'73-914kid
Haha, tell me about it! In all seriousness though, if you can finish a set before the weekend and want them tested, let me know if you want them strength tested on a car..haha
dfelz
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 27 2013, 12:19 PM) *

Haha, tell me about it! In all seriousness though, if you can finish a set before the weekend and want them tested, let me know if you want them strength tested on a car..haha

Thanks man i appreciate that. Should actually have a set finished tonight... you busy later?? (after 8)
monkeyboy
Those potholes have been on Valley since I was at Cal Poly... That road has been crap for years.
'73-914kid
I have vector statics from 8-9:15 tonight, but after that im good.
7TPorsh
Register your plate as a vanity plate but you will have a premium every year.
dfelz
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 27 2013, 12:40 PM) *

Those potholes have been on Valley since I was at Cal Poly... That road has been crap for years.

Haha, i bet! they fixed them this summer, so now its smooth sailing!!

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 27 2013, 12:47 PM) *

I have vector statics from 8-9:15 tonight, but after that im good.

I loved statics! if you want any old quizes for practice problems i have all my old material from Izadi's class, got 20/20 on all but one (19/20) of his quizes that quarter, if only it were still that easy headbang.gif

Ill text you sometime after 930
'73-914kid
Hey David, can you text me again? I had to drive ALL the way home last night to get a new phone and lost all my numbers..
dfelz
So i havent made too much progress the past week plus on the car since school has been keeping me occupied a lot, but as always, i have been collecting parts! A few items on the list that came in the mail/picked up at the swap meet:
engine rebuild gasket kit, tons of various bushings (susp and shifting), front bumper (for temporary use), rebuilt pedal cluster from Bruce, tilton master cylinder and hard line (for hydraulic clutch set up, will talk about in a latter post), platted pushrod tubes (thanks mark!!), 911 gague pod items (big clock, oil temp/oil pressure, fuel level/oil level), driver side mirror, PCA orange coast region sticker, and probably a few more things i am forgetting...

Had a wonderful time at Joe Sharps BBQ yesterday and the swap meet today. Was able to chat with a bunch of cool 914 guys this weekend, so that was really enjoyable (also got to see everyones sweet cars for inspiration)!!

I have an important topic i would like to start discussing, external oil cooler. I have never seen or heard of this being done, but i really want to mount it under the cowl fresh air openings, essentially taking the spot of the fresh air box and blower (which have been removed for good.) The cooler, which i will probably be getting from bruce, is a smaller one that i will have 3 92mm fans on the backside of sucking air through and blowing it into a custom air box that will lead into two "dump pipes," which i think i might plumb to go into the long heater tubes (this part is up in the air, but seams like it would be good solution, the holes in the fire wall are there...) The actual oil transportation hard lines will follow the path of the charcoal filter lines, the holes and grommets are already there waiting to be used!
This cooler will be on a partial flow system, leaving the stock cooler there and having the sandwich adapter to get the oil into the cooler. The fans will be operated by a switch in the cabin as opposed to thermostatically controlled.
Would LOVE to hear everyones opinons!!
I have modeled up the cowl, cooler, fans, and air box to see how much room they will be taking up. I have a total of just over 9" to work with from the bottom surface of the cowl to the bulkhead, and so far these parts will only take up 5" of that (keeping in mind though that the funnel into the two side exit tubes have not been modeled.....
Cheers

IPB Image

IPB Image
euro911
Ducting into a split valve for venting out to the atmosphere or heating the passenger compartment sounds cool (actually, hot) rolleyes.gif

How about adding a lever operated cowl flap (scoop)? confused24.gif
dfelz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 3 2013, 11:48 PM) *

Ducting into a split valve for venting out to the atmosphere or heating the passenger compartment sounds cool (actually, hot) rolleyes.gif

How about adding a lever operated cowl flap (scoop)? confused24.gif

I would like to add a small scoop over it, but not right away. Want to see how it performs without it, and then i can make one later and see if it helps...
dfelz
Haven't posted in awhile since its now approaching the last week of this quarter, and this is when shit gets hectic so the teener fell to the sidelines.

Did have a little time here and there to sort a few things out though. I had a pile of random seals from both cars, so i went thorough those put them on the car and went through a list of all the ones i will need to order from 914 rubber. The other thing i accomplished this morning was test fitting the fiberglass pieces i have, 911 dash and 916 rear bumper. I came up with how im going to secure the dash in. Going to cut out a few holes on the top surface of the metal under piece that are the size of the OD of a washers that will have a nut wilded to the bottom of it, then weld that washer/nut assembly to that metal piece with the nut facing downwards. will then have matching holes on the FG dash and will use hex head bolts to make it easy for removal if needed. The bumper fits pretty decently, wont have to do much sanding for it to fit nice and snug.

BTW, does anyone have recommendations for painting FG parts!?!? they flex under stress and i feel like that will therefore cause cracks in the paint after a little while... tips, tricks, and techniques will be appreciated!

IPB Image

Cat wants to go for a test drive laugh.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
mrbubblehead
hey david i read a great tutorial about changing from a 914 dash to a 911 and that guy didnt have to drill any holes. or make any real mods. i dont know where that tutorial is. but its out there.
boogie_man
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 13 2013, 01:00 AM) *

hey david i read a great tutorial about changing from a 914 dash to a 911 and that guy didnt have to drill any holes. or make any real mods. i dont know where that tutorial is. but its out there.

http://rockaria.net/914/gettydash/index.html

here's one of them, looks awesome. Looking good feltzy !!!! smilie_pokal.gif
mittelmotor
Lookin' good, David. The 916 bumper looks really clean, and I'm sure saves a fair amount of weight.

You might try paint with a flex agent, used for modern cars with the urethane (?) bumper caps...that oughta prevent cracking. You might add some extra fiberglass on the back side of the piece to any areas that seem weak. And add an extra brace or two.

--Doug
dfelz
Sweet thanks for the link boogie man, i think i read through that a while back but forgot about it. ill have to look through it later. My main thing is i believe they still used stock mounting holes and that CF piece came with mounting studs on it (i could be wrong on that, like i said i havent read that article in a long time). and what i want to avoid it using the stock mounting method, its a PAIN in the ass! i want it to be simple and clean, and dont mind doing an little cutting sawzall-smiley.gif and welding welder.gif to make that happen. Either way i need to got through that article since it talks about wiring the new gauges too!! need to know that for sure!!

Doug thanks for the tip, ill look into flex agent.... is like an additive to normal paint??
boogie_man
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 13 2013, 07:51 PM) *

Sweet thanks for the link boogie man, i think i read through that a while back but forgot about it. ill have to look through it later. My main thing is i believe they still used stock mounting holes and that CF piece came with mounting studs on it (i could be wrong on that, like i said i havent read that article in a long time). and what i want to avoid it using the stock mounting method, its a PAIN in the ass! i want it to be simple and clean, and dont mind doing an little cutting sawzall-smiley.gif and welding welder.gif to make that happen. Either way i need to got through that article since it talks about wiring the new gauges too!! need to know that for sure!!

Doug thanks for the tip, ill look into flex agent.... is like an additive to normal paint??

I Liked this one

http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/911_dash.html

dfelz
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 13 2013, 08:55 PM) *

I Liked this one

http://www.phoenixhobbies.com/html/911_dash.html

i do like that too! but that would require me finding more parts!! haha, its cool that that can be done though. just read through the first one you posted and it looks like there are standoffs glassed into the Getty one, which are not on mine... dry.gif
mittelmotor

I'm not sure exactly whether it's an additive, or a paint formulated for flexible bumpers. Any auto paint shop would know.
dfelz
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Mar 13 2013, 10:22 PM) *

I'm not sure exactly whether it's an additive, or a paint formulated for flexible bumpers. Any auto paint shop would know.

I did some google searching on flex agent for fiberglass painting, and like many car topics, some say use it some say its not necessary with modern paints, primers and top coats if done correctly from the beging. biggest thing is all the oils and wax need to be cleaned off and removed before any sanding or priming takes place....
and also like you said, if properly braced and extra thickness added to weaker areas, not much flexing should occur that would be large enough for cracking to take place.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 13 2013, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 13 2013, 01:00 AM) *

http://rockaria.net/914/gettydash/index.html

thats the one beerchug.gif

here's one of them, looks awesome. Looking good feltzy !!!! smilie_pokal.gif

boogie_man
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 13 2013, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Mar 13 2013, 10:22 PM) *

I did some google searching on flex agent for fiberglass painting, and like many car topics, some say use it some say its not necessary with modern paints, primers and top coats if done correctly from the beging. biggest thing is all the oils and wax need to be cleaned off and removed before any sanding or priming takes place....
and also like you said, if properly braced and extra thickness added to weaker areas, not much flexing should occur that would be large enough for cracking to take place.

To paint over fiberglass will not need a flexible additive. I would sand it down
with 150 grit, put a 2 part primer on it, prep again with either 320 dry or 400
wet sand paper with a final scuff of 500-800 if needed. If you're close, bring it
by my shop to see what can be done.

Thanks

Scott
dfelz
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 14 2013, 01:33 PM) *

To paint over fiberglass will not need a flexible additive. I would sand it down
wet sand paper with a final scuff of 500-800 if needed. If you're close, bring it

Thanks

Scott

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the offer! If your shop is in san juan Capistrano your on my way to san diego! and i will probably be going down that way next friday... i may PM you later next week....
boogie_man
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 14 2013, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Mar 14 2013, 01:33 PM) *

Thanks

Scott

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the offer! If your shop is in san juan Capistrano your on my way to san diego! and i will probably be going down that way next friday... i may PM you later next week....

Anytime/anything to help beerchug.gif
dfelz
Finals are finished!! So I will have a week to crank out work on the Porsche! I started Thursday night taking apart the carbs and cleaning them in carb dip, checking all the individual parts for damage. Of all the parts only one idle jet needs replacing, the hole is slightly twisted. I am trying to do a bunch of research on what sizing to go with, Doug and Ethan are helping me out a lot with that too! Currently have 30 venturies, 115 main jet, 50 idle, and an f11 emulsion tube (dual 40 webers) don't remember what the air vents are at... Any suggestions will be accepted!!

Right now and until Tuesday I am in San Diego! Wooooow I get to go surfing and hang out and eat good food!

Clean parts from one
IPB Image

Idle jet that needs replacing
IPB Image
dfelz
Hey guys, It's been a long time since I last gave an update, and I have been getting work done on the car, but its been slow and little by little, so nothing every seemed worthy of giving an update for...

But heres where I am at with the engine: I have removed all of the pistons and cylinders for cleaning/inspection. Once the piston heads were cleaned of the layers of carbon build up they turned out looking pretty nice. The cylinders all look pretty clean in my opinion, all still have honing lines very visible. Only thing i noticed was that one cylinder at the base (side that goes into case, has a piece chipped off the edge. I feel that it shouldn't be much of a hindrance, but if someone thinks otherwise please interrupt. I have a set of new piston rings to go along with the rebuild, and when i do put it back together do i just need to oil the wrist pins and oil the cylinder walls? or is there anything else that needs lubed up?

The chip
IPB Image

cylinder walls
IPB Image

Pistons before
IPB Image

Pistons being cleaned
IPB Image

Cleaned Pistons
IPB Image

Carbs are also back together and ready to go, with brand new velocity stacks to go along with them. They are currently set up right now with F-11 emulsion tubes, 115 mains, 50 idles, 200 air, and 30 venturis. All parts were soaked in carb dip and scrubbed down clean!
IPB Image

Theres a few other things i want to discuss, but ill wait for now.

beerchug.gif
dfelz
Is there a way to tell if your flywheel is worn by just inspecting it while its still mounted? I ask because I discovered that my throwout fork on the tranny that came with the engine was heated and bent to a curve. I posted a question regarding this and some one had suggested that the flywheel was probably machined. I also anticipate that the clutch cable was significantly stretched, I say this because when i was disconnecting the cable, at the end there were two sockets used as spacers, one regular and one deep socket(!), before the final nut was threaded on the tip! thats a lot of stretch!
This cable was on the old car and will therefore not be used on the new one but i am still wondering if i should be looking deeper into this and be inspecting the flywheel and other close by components for wear? What are your opinions on the matter??

Here are the two forks i have, as you can see one was altered!
IPB Image

I have no idea if this picture will help at all, but if you see anything odd, or have a direction for me to start looking in for possible wear spots, it will be very helpful
IPB Image

Thanks!
Black22
Well for starters we can't see the flywheel. The picture you posted is of the pressure plate that is attached to the flywheel. The clutch disc will be between the above mentioned parts.

You can get an idea of wear from looking at the flywheel surface, but if you're not sure, let a pro inspect it.

Also, if those "fingers" around the center of the pressure plate have a groove worn in them, as they appear to have in the picture, I would replace it.
'73-914kid
If you pull the flywheel, bring it to school on wednesday and we can have a look. If someone took the time to heat and bend the clutch fork though, it means that something in that pack is definetely not correct...
dfelz
Thanks Mike for the rundown of the components, I appreciate it!

Ethan, I'll text you for your availability! Also, if your not in class tomorrow at 6, there is a presentation in the BSC by a NASA engineer that was on the challenger team that would not sign the consent for launch over the safety risks at stake that were ignored by the others, should be pretty good. Ill be there since my engineering ethics professor is requiring us to be there.
dfelz
FINALLY STARTED ENGINE REASSEMBLY! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Ethan came over and gave me a big hand in getting me on my way with the engine, YAAAAAY. drunk.gif

New piston rings all around
IPB Image

Clean cylinders
IPB Image

All four pistons and cylinders back on tonight
IPB Image
boogie_man
popcorn[1].gif
dfelz
Tonight i got both heads put on and torqued down, I reused the head gaskets because the ones that came in the engine gasket set were too small. The old ones were in great condition, i cleaned them up a little and they looked fine to use. Cleaned up and rattle caned the deflectors and put those back on too. Then cleaned up the oil cooler a little bit so it was shinny again biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Going to try and work on the valve train next.
monkeyboy
Arent the head gaskets Copper? I thought they needed to be annealed before being reused.
dfelz
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ May 6 2013, 03:39 PM) *

Arent the head gaskets Copper? I thought they needed to be annealed before being reused.

I think your thinking of the gaskets on the exhaust ports, which i have new ones of and will be annealing those before using. i believe the head gaskets on the cylinder side i was speaking of are aluminum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.