Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2015: 914-6 GT - the Giant Killers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Mblizzard
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Aug 9 2015, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 9 2015, 05:33 PM) *

I registered for my 17y.o. son and I last night. This will be our first road trip in the -6. Working on it now to get it in tip top shape.

For folks around Atlanta or coming through Atlanta on the way up, any thought of caravaning up on Thursday?

There will be 4 of us going up Thurs. Last year we left from Lewis Broyles house in Canton, so I suppose that's where we'll leave from this year. PM me your contact info and I'll let you know when we decide what we're doing (last minute probably).

Make sure you give the 17y.o. son extra bail money if you roll with the Broyles group!

OK maybe not an actual requirement but a great group to be around.
iamchappy
I wish I could attend this gathering. Nice group of cars.
poorsche914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 9 2015, 08:41 PM) *
I wish I could attend this gathering. Nice group of cars.

Would love to see your 914 at a future Okteenerfest wub.gif

driving.gif
DRPHIL914
Been trying to finish up a few projects in the car , seats were finished this week and are installed. My new fuchs are on the car. Body work etc will have to wait until next year. Right now car is running good. Trying to make it a father/son trip if he can get away from school for a few days!
Those are some nice prizes that have already been donated!

Not much discussion about parts swap meet. Is that still in the picture?
naro914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 9 2015, 10:37 PM) *

Not much discussion about parts swap meet. Is that still in the picture?

so here's the thing about the swap meet: I just don't know if there's anyplace for us to hold it. Last year we did it because the hotel had a HUGE field where people could set up and bring big trailers of stuff. This year, we have a normal hotel parking lot, so I'm really not sure how/where we can do something like a swap meet. We will have a big section closed off for just our cars, but it won't be big enough to set up. In the picture below, I circled an area that will hold 50 or so cars, and the "X" on the building is where most of us will be staying. I don't know if we have access to that field right next to the lot, I'll ask....

Click to view attachment

Weather permitting, the Car Show will be at a field/park right in the middle of downtown Banner Elk which will be fine/big enough for our cars, but not really for much else I don't think. Plus, being town owned property, they would probably require some sort of permit to sell kinda thing...not something I want to get into.

Everyone is MORE than welcome to bring stuff to sell, I'm just not 100% sure where we can set people up. I'll check on the field.
naro914
OK good news!! I just heard from the hotel and YES we can use that back field by the parking lot for trailers, and for a swap meet if anyone's interested.

I think we have about 10 people that said they are trailering. I don't know anything about the field - how to get in our out...maybe in the upper right? That road Advent Lane is a dirt road.

If we get a chance to run up there before the event, I'll have more details. Otherwise we may just have to play it by ear to see how to organize things once we get there.

So...the swap meet is ON! Anyone trailering or swapping may just have to be patient so we can all work together with the space we have, but we should be fine.
naro914
I was also told that there are only a handful of our blocked rooms left and that the entire rest of the hotel is sold out. So...get your event and hotel room registration done NOW!!
Mblizzard
Not sure if all of you know 356 Devotion as a 914 parts supplier. But Adam has agreed to send some massive amounts of items for the event!

How about new fuze blocks, fuze covers, window cranks, new door handles, door handle rosettes, and gas caps.

They have some nice stuff. I have the fuse box cover on my car from them and it is a quality item. Pretty sure Most of us could use all of these parts.

Click to view attachment

Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 10 2015, 02:05 PM) *

Not sure if all of you know 356 Devotion as a 914 parts supplier. But Adam has agreed to send some massive amounts of items for the event!

How about new fuze blocks, fuze covers, window cranks, new door handles, door handle rosettes, and gas caps.

They have some nice stuff. I have the fuse box cover on my car from them and it is a quality item. Pretty sure Most of us could use all of these parts.

Guys - While you may not typically use 356 Devotion and 914 parts in the same sentence, Adam has committed a huge amount of parts to this event! I think they are serious about providing parts and service to 914 owners. Look at this list and see what you think?

1. 914 Fuse Box Cover 5 QTY.
2. 914 Fuse Box Block 5 QTY (OEM quality here has cutouts for the fuse box clip where it gets installed on the car)
3. 914 ’70-early ’73 window crank handle - 4 QTY these crank handles will work to ’76 chrome metal that comes with the center screw.
4. All 914 door release handle, chrome - 4 (2 cars worth)
5. All 914 door rosette chrome Metal - 4 (2 cars worth)
6. All 914 door rosette black plastic - 4 (2 cars worth)
7. 914 Fuel Caps 2
Mblizzard
Just been doing a bit of math. At this point our sponsors have donated almost $7K in support and event prizes. Take a look at the sponsor list and know that these are the people that are committed to the 914 and want your business.

With our current 70 people signed up, that's about $98 worth of loot per person!

Doesn't get much better than that!
poorsche914
We are now at 48 cars with 75 attendees cheer.gif

Within a couple cars and 5 people of last year's attendance and we have 5 weeks to go aktion035.gif

BEEN TO OKTEENERFEST BEFORE:
(4) attended in 2013,
(13) attended in 2014,
(18) attended in both 2013 and 2014
(12) Newcomers. WELCOME! You are in for a great time.

driving.gif
poorsche914
OK, folks... it's official. We have reached the 50+ cars point boldblue.gif beerchug.gif clap56.gif

One of the cars to push it to that point is an original factory GT with racing history in Europe and the US. w00t.gif

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what car it is? shades.gif

driving.gif
naro914
OOO, OOO I know!!! Pick me!! Pick ME!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

smile.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 12 2015, 04:10 PM) *

smile.gif

Sorry, Bob, Okteenerfest promoters and their families are ineligible to answer this question. rolleyes.gif

driving.gif
naro914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 12 2015, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 12 2015, 04:10 PM) *

smile.gif

Sorry, Bob, Okteenerfest promoters and their families are ineligible to answer this question. rolleyes.gif

driving.gif

sad2.gif
Vysoc
The Eric Strenger Porsche 914-6 GT M471?

Vysoc flag.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Aug 12 2015, 05:54 PM) *
Vysoc flag.gif

It has been rumoured that the Strenger 914, one of the rare factory M-471 optioned cars, will be there.

The car in question here was built in February 1970 at Zuffenhusen and equipped with Type 901/36 twin plug 6 cylinder engine, steel wheel flares and painted Light Ivory.

driving.gif
naro914
And there is a difference between a M471 car and a true factory built GT car...
Mblizzard
All right everyone this is really getting interesting. If the rumors are true it looks like we will be offering up some really serious items in the near future.

But as you get your car ready for the event I ask you to look at the sponsors on the Okteenerfest site and give them the first shot when you make your next purchase. These are the vendors that have made $7k (may go to 10 really quickly) of items available for this event. Also note who is missing. While the 914 was not the most loved Porsche in the past, it is now at a point where vendors are taking an intrest in 914 owners. Supporting the sponsors of Okteenerfest is a great way for us to show them that 914 owners appreciate their support.
poorsche914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 12 2015, 04:07 PM) *
One of the cars to push it to that point is an original factory GT with racing history in Europe and the US. w00t.gif

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what car it is? shades.gif

Since we had so many guessers... dry.gif

The answer is: the Max Moritz #19 914/6 GT race car

From pbase.com:

FIA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF MAKES... sn 914.043.0691 was built in February 1970 at Zuffenhusen. Equipped with Type 901/36 twin plug 6 cylinder engine #640 0295, steel wheel flares and painted Light Ivory.

Delivered to Autohaus Max Moritz GmbH where it was modified, per factory instructions, for FIA Group 4 racing with 908 front brakes and engine modifications increasing horsepower to 220 DIN. Painted Conda Green.

First raced in the 1000 km Rennen Nurburgring on May 31, 1970; driven by Gerhard Quist and Dietrich Krumm. Went on to win 9 of its next 12 ADAC races setting lap records to Hockenheim, Germany and Zolder, Belgium - Described as "Europe's Fastest GT" by the German press.

Sold to Ralph Meaney in late 1970 and entered as #19 in the "24-Hours of Daytona" January 31, 1971. Driven by Steve Behr, John Buffum and Erwin Kremer finishing 8th overall and 2nd in the GT Class.

Raced at the "12-Hours of Sebring" March 20, 1971, finishing 29th after a gearbox failure in the 7th hour. It was DNF at the "Six-Hours of Watkins Glen" July 24, 1971.

Entered in the inaugural "IMSA GT" event April 17, 1971 at Virginia International Raceway, finishing 3rd overall and 2nd in class. After several SCCA events throughout 1971, it made its last professional appearance on September 19, 1971 at "Summit Point".

In 1972, #19 was acquired by Sydney Ho, was painted Black.

In 1982, it was sold to Gil Meyer and won "Governor's Cup" at Bahamas Vintage Speedway in December of 1984.

In 1996, #19 was sold again and purchased by Patrick Scalli who restored it to original specifications and raced it in vintage events, including; SVRA-Watkins Glen Sep/06/96, HSR-Daytona 1997, HSR-Sebring 1997, Monterey Historics-Laguna Seca Aug/14-16/1998, Watkins Glen-Double Fifty Aug/27-30/98.

In 1998, #19 was then sold to Ed Mettelman.

In 2003, #19 was purchased by Steve Limbert who is now the current owner. That lucky guy! : )
naro914
Steve is bringing both of these....!!!
Vysoc
Can't wait to see those beautiful beasts, way to go guys this is going to be an even more awesome week!!!

Congratulations!!!

Vysoc flag.gif
db9146
"......an even more awesome week!!!"

GREAT IDEA. How could all of this fun be crammed into a few days.....I say we expand this to a whole week.

Just kidding...but this is going to be a great event. Thanks so much to Bob, Mike, Steve and the rest who are working to make this a fantastic event!!!!!
Mblizzard
Jason and the great guys at Paragon Products are hooking us up with some great gift certificates for this event.

They have a really good selection and I actually have a set of their performance spark plug wires which are top notch!

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
OK so Our good buddy Tim has asked me to find out what would be the most desirable LED gauge set see this year?

Silver dot gauges?

Non silver dot?

Silver dot with 150mph.

Votes?
poorsche914
Hmmm, just over half the cars attending are 74+ so would take the later style. But, don't want to leave out the silver dot guys... confused24.gif

driving.gif
db9146
Silver dot 150 mph fits my '70 so I guess that's my vote. Maybe Tim would offer a certificate good for the choice of the winner?
naro914
All three!!
poorsche914
The oval sticker for this year:
Click to view attachment

Working on the shirt design next.

driving.gif
poorsche914
906 twin plug original to this real 914-6GT blink.gif w00t.gif cheer.gif

It's not every day you see one of those! Register today.

driving.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 12 2015, 06:04 PM) *
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Aug 12 2015, 05:54 PM) *
Vysoc flag.gif

It has been rumoured that the Strenger 914, one of the rare factory M-471 optioned cars, will be there.

It has been confirmed that the Strenger 914-6 GT M-471 optioned car will be at Okteenerfest this year along with George Hussey's similarly optioned blue 914-6 GT, Steve Limbert's factory-built race car - the Max Moritz #19 car - a team-built #18 tribute car, John Forbes' race car, Bob Saville's "Huey", a host of factory 914-6 cars, and the usual mix of 914s in a rainbow of colors wub.gif
Well over 50 914s at this point aktion035.gif
Still time to register but rooms at the host hotel are nearly gone and any remaining rooms will be released to the public on Monday. Be sure to mention OKTEENERFEST for special rates.

Four weeks til some awesome driving.gif
naro914
Hopefully if you are coming to Okteenerfest you've booked your room by now. Today the block of rooms we had held is being released to the general public, and since the rest of the hotel is sold out with a waiting list, if there were any left, they will be gone today.

Now...if any of you HAVE a room and can't make it (I can't imagine what could POSSIBLY be more important than Okteenerfest that weekend) PLEASE do not cancel it yet..post it here for anyone that doesn't have a room yet to take it from you.

thumb3d.gif
BIGKAT_83
I think I booked the last room yesterday. Had to get a pet friendly room.
I'll try not to get sick on this one...
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Wdunster
There is a bed and breakfast in banner elk about 3 miles away that is fairly comparable on price if you missed a room. It is the azalea garden inn. Great place!
(828) 898-8195
poorsche914
Thanks for the tip, Bill.

And to recap the vendors and businesses suppporting Okteenerfest 2015:
356 Devotion – Fuse covers, fuse panels, door handles, door rosettes, etc.
914 Limited – Cash sponsor of Okteenerfest.
914 Rubber - A new dash plus all kinds of other goodies.
Aase Sales – Various items.
AutoAtlanta – GT flares, Targa/Windshield seal, repro tool kit, carpet kit, side marker sets, turbo tie rod kit, 19mm master cylinder, and more.
BDR – Brake dust repellent.
Black Forest Racing - We never know until John shows up!
Bruce Stone - Rebuilt pedal cluster.
Custom Gauges by Tim – Restored gauges featuring LED lighting
Evilwerks - Free labor on a transmission rebuild.
Eckler’s Automotion – Gift certificates and PORSCHE hats.
Financial Concepts Inc. – Supporting Okteenerfest with a donation and a free financial review/planning session for attendees.
Maddogs Motorsports - Front sway bar stiffening kit, front sway bar mount kit, early rear sway bar mount kit, shim pack, heater block off kit.
Mom’s Service Covers – Hand-made service covers lovingly made by Garold Shaffer’s mom.
Paragon Products – Gift certificates
PMB Performance - Rebuilt rear caliper set.
Restoration Design – Metal restoration pieces.
Sierra Madre Collection – Variety of items.
Tarrett Engineering – 50% off sway bar purchase.
Type IV Store – $500 gift certificate.
World Upholstery – Black floor mats with PORSCHE in red.
Zymol – Car care kits.

Nearly $10,000 worth of goodies will be given away this year blink.gif smilie_pokal.gif
driving.gif
naro914
Also...
Steve Limbert of Air Cooed Racing (bringing the Max Moritz factory GT car!!) said he's bringing to sell:
"Will be bringing several swap items including all fiber glass for GT cars , Brad Penn 20/50 race oil , Minilite Wheels both 4&5 bolt, custom axle straps and ratchets. Other misc. 914 hard parts."
Wdunster
This is going to be a great event!!! piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 18 2015, 05:05 PM) *

Nearly $10,000 worth of goodies will be given away this year blink.gif smilie_pokal.gif
driving.gif

This is a significant milestone. 50+ cars and $10K+ in prizes pray.gif

Quite an increase from the first Okteenerfest we had!

Congratulations to the organizers. If the event keeps growing at this rate the 5th Annual Okteenerfest will require a much bigger venue!
Mblizzard
I have been following up with our sponsors and some of that $10K in items has started rolling in! Got very nice gift cert from Ron at AASE Sales!

Everyone may want to be sure I make it to the event because I am the only one that knows where all the stuff is!

On a serious note, it is truly staggering the level of support our vendors have provided for this event. These people are committed to the 914 and supporting us. It is really important that we show them our support. Please try to utilize these sponsors when you buy. Even if you are not coming, these are the vendors that want your business and they are trying to earn that business.

poorsche914
Hey, Michael... do we need to rent a U-haul for ya? shades.gif

driving.gif
bandjoey
Looking forward to the great pictures! Hope someone with writing talent will be working on an article for PCA, Excellence, R&T, etc.
23e Heure
How cool does this event look!

And what a total blooming coincidence that it is happening just as I start my search for a GT rep.
A rep which in my head will be a Marathon De La Route homage.

Maybe there will be a few hopeful sellers there in Banner Elk: please keep your ears to the ground for me!

Shame the event is so far away from me, else I'd be bowling right over there.

Picture picture pictures please (needless to ask, I guess).
Mblizzard
Things are still rolling in! Mark and the great guys at Stoddard are sending some really great stuff. How about out-side door handle seal kits and “Porsche Friend” decals for everyone? A few people will be sporting Stoddard/Huziker shirts. Someone will be very happy with a full set of the new Stoddard/Hawk HP brake pads on their 914.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Sometimes I am amazed at our sponsors. I happened to order some parts from Tarett Racing. I received an email from Ira at Tarett asking if I needed anything else. Really? Who does that in this day and age? Well done Tarett!

Click to view attachment
poorsche914
Some more numbers fun cheer.gif

Of the (60) 914 owners registered, they collectively own over (120) 914s aktion035.gif
Over the years this same group has owned well over (225) 914s w00t.gif
That's an average of over (4) 914s per person. And when you consider some have only owned ONE... well, others have owned DOZENS aktion035.gif

driving.gif
naro914
I have had a few questions about itinerary, timing, what exactly we are doing, etc. The tentative itinerary is on the okteenerfest.com website, but I thought I would give everyone here a quick update and more information.

First, about 2 weeks out, everyone who's registered will get an email from me with some registration/check in information, and things to consider/bring for the weekend. No need to go over that now. Then you'll get a reminder about a week in advance with a few more details. If you DO NOT get an email from me, that's because some of you don't know what your email address is and it bounced. I will post on here that an email went out, so if you don't get it....Houston, we have a problem!

Thursday:
- Check In: type.gif we will have check in at the hotel in a separate room just down the hall from the front desk. Probably from 4-7 or so. This is when you'll get your goodie bag, registration packet, sign waivers, and hopefully get to see all the cool swag we have for door prizes! You will be on your own for dinner...there are plenty of great restaurants right near the hotel.

Friday:
- The Drive!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif For those new to Okteenerfest, we do our drive on Friday. We leave at about 9:14, take a break after about an hour of driving, then stop for lunch (your on your own for that, we'll be in Spruce Pine, NC), take another break in the afternoon (Linville Falls!!) and get back to the hotel late afternoon. After lunch, we encourage you to follow the directions at your own pace and enjoy the scenery, stop when you want, and just have fun. No need for everyone to stay together.

- Dinner: chowtime.gif Dinner Friday night is included in your registration fee and will be in the hotel...casual burgers/dogs/brats. There will be a cash bar beer3.gif

Saturday:
- People's Choice Car Show!! first.gif This year, the car show will be in the park in the middle of downtown Banner Elk - 1.2 miles from the hotel. I am a HUGE proponent of sharing this wonderful (crazy??) hobby we all have with the general public, so be prepared to have lots of people ask questions, take pictures and admire your pride and joy. Peoples' Choice 'judging' will be from about 9:14 to 11:30 or so, then you are on your own for lunch. There will be PLENTY of places right there in town you can walk to.

- Saturday Afternoon: We've put together a handful of tours and/or places to visit in the afternoon if you are so inclined. Directions to Blowing Rock, Mast General Store, Banner Elk Winery, etc. Or, you can come back to the hotel where anyone that wants to sell some things will be holding the informal Swap Meet. Your choice on how you want to enjoy the afternoon!

- Dinner/Banquet: chowtime.gif Saturday evening will be the awards dinner, also included in your registration fee and also in the hotel. This is when we will give out the Car Show awards, some 'unique' fun awards, and all the tons of door prizes Mike has secured (or at least the ones left he hasn't kept himself!) Again, cash bar. drunk.gif

Sunday:
On Sunday, we all say goodbye. sad.gif Or...you can go do some of the Saturday afternoon fun tours that you couldn't do on Saturday!! biggrin.gif

oh...and Each morning, Breakfast is FREE for all the hotel registrants!!

Our goal with Okteenerfest is to provide you with a fun-filled and relaxed weekend where you can enjoy your passion for this great little car with fellow nutcases..er..I mean enthusiasts!

We look forward to seeing you all in 4 weeks!!!
robby750
Will there be name tags? I really need name tags as I suck at remembering names. Also, I may have a passenger but won't know until the last minute. Can I pay the fee for the extra person when I get there?
poorsche914
So... this is kinda what it is going to look like as we head out for the drive:

olympic914.jpg blue914.jpg blue914.jpg blue914.jpg blue914.jpg blue914.jpg blue914.jpg blue914.jpg olympic914.jpg olympic914.jpg red914.jpg red914.jpg red914.jpg red914.jpg ravenna914.jpg irish914.jpg ravenna914.jpg irish914.jpg irish914.jpg ravenna914.jpg irish914.jpg creamsicle914.jpg creamsicle914.jpg white914.jpg white914.jpg white914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg silver914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg

Why are there no icons for YELLOW, BUMBLE BEE, and BLACK???

driving.gif
poorsche914
And here are the ones that should be Yellow, Black or Bumble Bee:
signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg signal914.jpg aubergine914.jpg aubergine914.jpg aubergine914.jpg grasshopper914.jpg

driving.gif
naro914
QUOTE(robby750 @ Aug 21 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Will there be name tags? I really need name tags as I suck at remembering names. Also, I may have a passenger but won't know until the last minute. Can I pay the fee for the extra person when I get there?

Yes, there will be nametags...
PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.