Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OKTEENERFEST 2015: 914-6 GT - the Giant Killers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
poorsche914
Okteenerfest 2015: 914-6 GT - the Giant Killers

September 17-20 in Banner Elk, NC.
Please note the change from original dates of 24-27. After we had set the original dates, Porsche moved Rennsport Reunion to the same weekend. dry.gif
With so many 914 guys headed to Rennsport, we decided to move Okteenerfest to its new date. Sorry for any inconvenience to those who may have already planned time off from work, etc.

This year's honored model is the 914-6 GT in celebration of the 1-2-3 Marathon de la Route (86 hours of Nürburgring) and other wins in 1970. Whether you have a real -6 GT, an original -6 converted to GT specs, or a -4 "tribute" GT with flares and big tires, they are all welcome at Okteenerfest. Join other 914 owners in their more mundane versions of Porsche's street-legal go-kart for some fantastic driving, plenty of socializing, a bit of showing off, and a truckload of give-aways.

After two years being held in the Smokies of east Tennessee, we have moved the event east into the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. There are so many awesome roads in this region it would take days to drive them all. We have selected a route for Friday's day drive that includes not only a ton of twisties, sweepers, and ear-popping elevation changes but plenty of stopping points to get out, stretch, and enjoy the scenic splendor of the mountains.

With this new location, we hope our friends from west of the Mississippi will still join us while at the same time bringing in new attendees from north and east. If you have not been to an Okteenerfest in the past, mark this one on your calendar. With a growth of over 65% in both attendees and 914s present from 2013 to 2014, we expect 2015 to be HUGE!

In addition to the driving, Okteenerfest will feature plenty of good eating, an awards ceremony, tons of give-aways from the most awesome vendors, a Peoples Choice Car Show, and some of the nicest people you will ever meet gathered in a single place

-------IMPORTANT LODGING INFORMATION-------

Best Western Mountain Lodge - Banner Elk
1615 Tynecastle Hwy, Banner Elk, NC 28604
Phone: 828-898-4571

• We have 50 rooms blocked for Okteenerfest - all together toward the back of the building.
• Room rates are $79 Thurs, $99 Fri/Sat plus tax.
• Rooms will be under "Okteenerfest".
• A wash station will be available and every registrant will get a towel to use for their car!
• Breakfast is free each morning.

EVENT REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
type.gif Join the Okteenerfest mailing list or LIKE us on Facebook for quickest access to information as it becomes available.
shadygrady
Reservations made. driving.gif piratenanner.gif
Vysoc
I will be back and a bump to get this up so people begin to SAVE THE DATE!!!

Thank you for updating my 914-6 GT project completion date!

Vysoc flag.gif bye1.gif

Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif cool_shades.gif
stevegm
I'm in. Can't wait.
tumamilhem
3rd time's a charm (I hope). Hope to finally make it this year.
naro914
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 22 2015, 05:02 PM) *

No weddings this year!!! Tell everyone in your family, all your friends NOW that you have a commitment! beerchug.gif
carr914
I'm really going to try to make it this year! driving.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 23 2015, 07:29 PM) *

You say that every year! poke.gif
carr914
I know! headbang.gif
naro914

lol-2.gif av-943.gif
billh1963
Reserved my room....
t collins
Made my reservations today piratenanner.gif
mhenderson57
QUOTE(t collins @ Mar 25 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Made my reservations today piratenanner.gif

Looking forward to it!
Johny Blackstain
I'm hoping to make it this year w/ my six. I have to pull my oil tank & find the leak 1st. dry.gif
rick 918-S
Interested.... idea.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 9 2015, 12:46 AM) *

Interested.... idea.gif

Do it.
JFJ914
Reservation made!
Mblizzard
Well it looks like I am going to have to start lining up some cool stuff again this year!
naro914
Yes You Do Mr. Blizzard!!

This weekend Nadine and I are going to do some scouting out of the routes, lunch spots, dinner ideas, etc. I'm hoping we can get a few things nailed down so we can get registration open soon. Each year when the venue changes, so does all the rest of the stuff that goes into it so we have to start all over again.

Our lunch stop on the Friday drive is my biggest concern. Winding fun roads out in the middle of nowhere are wonderful...except they are out in the middle of nowhere with no place to accomodate 100 people!

I will report back next week!!
dlee6204
QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 10 2015, 11:25 AM) *

Yes You Do Mr. Blizzard!!

This weekend Nadine and I are going to do some scouting out of the routes, lunch spots, dinner ideas, etc. I'm hoping we can get a few things nailed down so we can get registration open soon. Each year when the venue changes, so does all the rest of the stuff that goes into it so we have to start all over again.

Our lunch stop on the Friday drive is my biggest concern. Winding fun roads out in the middle of nowhere are wonderful...except they are out in the middle of nowhere with no place to accomodate 100 people!

I will report back next week!!

Not sure if our drive is taking us south at all but I have a farm in Burnsville,NC which could accommodate and i know several food places locally that cater.
naro914
Doug, PM sent
naro914

So with TR the weekend before...you think you'll make it?
naro914
UPDATE!!

A few weeks back I mentioned that Nadine and I did some scouting for the drives and lunch spots. One of the places we wanted to stop and have a chance for all of us to stretch our legs is Linville Falls. Its a beautiful area with both easy and more difficult hikes up to different viewing areas of the falls. Here are a few pictures I took while we were there. In the last picture, the people you see in the distance is where we were standing to take the first picture.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Wow. What a view. Looks like a great stop. first.gif
trojanhorsepower
Man, you guys should have stopped by. My house is just down the mountain from Linville. Did you eat at the Famous Rock House Cafe?
carr914

Well I'm down to one car and it kind of fits into the Theme. I'm committed to getting the car Track/Road ready in the next 2 months.

Problem is I can't do both Okteenerfest & Tropical Ramble as they are back to back weekends

Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 3 2015, 07:38 AM) *

Problem is I can't do both Okteenerfest & Tropical Ramble as they are back to back weekends

Yes you can....just involves a lot of this driving.gif
carr914
That involves getting time off for work which comes at a premium. I need to make time for a trip to the PNW to see my son & DiL, extended weekends (24 Hour at Daytona HSR race, Savannah HSR, etc)
poorsche914
EVENT REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN. CLICK HERE.
type.gif Join the Okteenerfest mailing list or LIKE us on Facebook for quickest access to information as it becomes available.

-------LODGING INFORMATION-------

Best Western Mountain Lodge - Banner Elk
1615 Tynecastle Hwy, Banner Elk, NC 28604
Phone: 828-898-4571

• We have 50 rooms blocked for Okteenerfest - all together toward the back of the building.
• Room rates are $79 Thurs, $99 Fri/Sat plus tax.
• Rooms will be under "Okteenerfest".
• A wash station will be available and every registrant will get a towel to use for their car!
• Breakfast is free each morning.

driving.gif
naro914
OK, who's going??
naro914
OK, who's coming??
DRPHIL914
piratenanner.gif
Me- booking mine today!
db9146
I'm planning on it and will be bringing my 17 y.o. son. We are looking forward to our first road trip in the 914-6.

Dee

Mblizzard
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jun 3 2015, 07:48 AM) *

I'm planning on it and will be bringing my 17 y.o. son. We are looking forward to our first road trip in the 914-6.

Dee

Hey. Mike Blizzard, remember me? You came over and picked some parts (drip tray drain tubes, targa top windshield rubber, etc.) off a blue 914 I had years ago back behind my parents house in Grayson. Haven't seen you in a very long time. Hope to see you here.

Wow that is a blast from the past! I will be there. Pretty cool your son is coming. This is a great event.
Mblizzard
Ok so the support is beginning to roll in. Mark at 914 Rubber will be helping out. I have a few details to work out before giving the details but this is huge! You will want to win this. It would make your car and nicer and is likely the thing we all need. Besides this huge item, Mark will be send some of his usual goodies. Eric at PMB is providing a set of front calipers again. Who couldn't use those? Stay tuned as it will only get better.

Remember we were at capacity last year so don't until the last minute to register.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 22 2015, 01:02 PM) *

I still have your goody bag and t- shirt for last year. Should have sent it but I am a loser.
trojanhorsepower
I'll be there!
poorsche914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Jun 9 2015, 08:20 PM) *
I'll be there!

Put your 914 on a trailer and bring it happy11.gif

driving.gif
Mblizzard
Looks like we will have some goodies from the excellent Dave at Mad Dogs Motor Sport!

Click to view attachment

Dave is sending:

Front sway bar stiffening kit

Front sway bar mount kit

Early rear sway bar mount kit

Shim pack (one of each 2mm, 3mm, 4mm)

Heater block off kit
trojanhorsepower
Ha! No trailering, but who knows maybe drivable next year.
Mblizzard
Any one guess what Dr. Evil has in store for you?

Click to view attachment
db9146
Fantastic.....I need a transmission rebuild!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(db9146 @ Jun 18 2015, 12:55 PM) *

Fantastic.....I need a transmission rebuild!

Maybe that was a bit easy to guess! We all know the Drs work and he is donating the labor for a rebuild. You can't get that anywhere for the price of the event.

Will have to make the next one harder!
db9146
Very generous of Dr Evil. You're doing a great job Mike coming up with some nice gifts!!

piratenanner.gif
Mblizzard
Well It is clear that Eckler’s Automotion loves the 914 and Okteenerfest. Cozette Alley the Show Manager for Eckler Industries, Inc. has hooked us up with some great gift certificates and hats for the event!

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Made it into Hemmings!

Click to view attachment

poorsche914
Nice job, Michael aktion035.gif

Sponsors so far:
914rubber.com
Eckler's
Evilwerks
Maddogs
PMB Performance
Sierra Madre

Three more months and we'll be cruising the mountains of North Carolina driving.gif
naro914
Actually....over July 4th weekend, Nadine and I will be cruising the NC Mountains doing some more scouting. I hope to put together some video for all your enjoyment!
Mblizzard
The wonderful Tim Kinney is providing a set of his 3rd generation led equipped dash gauges. I have the 2nd gen in my care and they are AWESOME. Can't wait to see the new version.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.